Author Topic: 1971 CB500: Project "Yokai" - Lots of Pics  (Read 36096 times)

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
Re: 1971 CB500: Project "Yokai" - Lots of Pics
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2011, 05:25:07 am »
Its looking really nice. Dang.. Great job on the wiring.. Wanna come do mine! ;)

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2011, 03:45:26 pm »
Rearsets

Is the countershaft sprocket washer installed here? Not sure if you forgot or not.
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2011, 06:13:51 pm »
Ha no, it is not.  I actually just put the sprocket back on after I took a look at it to order a new one.  All new sprocket on its way.  I'll use the old countershaft washer though.  Thank you for looking out.

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2011, 10:16:30 pm »
Not a ton of progress to report, but I did get all of the wiring done and tucked away in the headlight bucket.  Everything works but while I was trying to start it the starter engine went out so I have another brand new one on the way.  Tank and seat should be here in about 2 weeks.  Rearsets are being sent back tomorrow for a little adjustment.  I have a chain on the way.  The new sprocket is on (with the countershaft washer), and the speedo and tach are both mounted and wired.

Now for the pictures:

All the loose wires cleaned up and in the bucket.

I decided that I didn't like the hand controls that I had on so I switched those out for some black ones.  I think that they look much better.

View of the new gauges:

And from the front:

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #129 on: April 04, 2011, 12:23:47 am »
i like the black carb bodies.

Offline Squally

« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2011, 06:50:42 am »
Looks great!! 8)
Can't wait to see it with the tail and tank on it.

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2011, 04:40:11 pm »
Get a little bit done today…not much but its something.  I started to fab up the side covers.  I was going to leave it open but I never cut the tabs off before I powder coated the frame so I didn't want them to look out of place, so I decided to make them semi see through!

They aren't done yet, but that will be the basic idea.  I'm going to frame them with metal and weld it all up this weekend. 

I also got my points cover in the mail today!  Check it out!

Offline Oddjob

• Hot Shot
« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2011, 07:23:39 pm »
Started to read this thread and TBH I thought you were going down the restoration road. However you seem to have gone in a different direction altogether, some I like and some I'm not keen on.
Anyway a few words of advice from a long term CB500-4 owner who has restored a few of these now, they benefit a LOT from using taper rollers in the headstock, you mention bearings so I naturally assume you've fitted ball bearings, taper rollers are much better as they stiffen up the front end a treat and are much smoother in operation.
The rear indicators are using the rear mudguard bolts holes, they may not fit when you install the rear guard.
I'd seriously reconsider the fitment of the stock air box, it might not look great but without some sort of filtration you'll struggle getting the mixture right and the lack of filtration will ruin the engine over time, maybe K&Ns would be better than no filtration.

I had an engine powder coated, mine was done in silver for the crankcase halves, black for head and barrels with the edges of the fins polished like 80s Yamahas, skullcap was silver with breather cover black, all bolt on bits like oil filter housing and oil pan were black. All the outside casings were chromed along with the carb tops and carb bowls, even the choke mechanism was chromed. Nice job on the carbs BTW, impressive.

I like you had my exhaust clamps rechromed, however in practice it doesn't really work, as your chromer said they do discolour and rust at the bottom of the fins, next time I have them done I'm going to grind the fins off and end up with plain rings which should polish up well and accept chrome better.

Just as a matter of interest was the rea drum cracked? I've yet to see one that didn't show some sign of cracking.

Another suggestion, try a CB900F master cylinder, better fluid pumpage and has the mirror mount if you need it.

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2011, 08:00:10 pm »
I splurged for the Driven grips too.  I got mine in silver though.  I think I like the black better.
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2011, 08:04:28 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I actually did go with tapered rollers in the headstock.  I did a thorough inspection of the rear drum because I actually heard that about cracking, but there was no sign of cracking.  It may have been because the bike had very few original miles and was in bad shape because it sat in a field for 20 years.  Thanks for the suggestions!  Do you by chance have any pictures of your bike?

Started to read this thread and TBH I thought you were going down the restoration road. However you seem to have gone in a different direction altogether, some I like and some I'm not keen on.
Anyway a few words of advice from a long term CB500-4 owner who has restored a few of these now, they benefit a LOT from using taper rollers in the headstock, you mention bearings so I naturally assume you've fitted ball bearings, taper rollers are much better as they stiffen up the front end a treat and are much smoother in operation.
The rear indicators are using the rear mudguard bolts holes, they may not fit when you install the rear guard.
I'd seriously reconsider the fitment of the stock air box, it might not look great but without some sort of filtration you'll struggle getting the mixture right and the lack of filtration will ruin the engine over time, maybe K&Ns would be better than no filtration.

I had an engine powder coated, mine was done in silver for the crankcase halves, black for head and barrels with the edges of the fins polished like 80s Yamahas, skullcap was silver with breather cover black, all bolt on bits like oil filter housing and oil pan were black. All the outside casings were chromed along with the carb tops and carb bowls, even the choke mechanism was chromed. Nice job on the carbs BTW, impressive.

I like you had my exhaust clamps rechromed, however in practice it doesn't really work, as your chromer said they do discolour and rust at the bottom of the fins, next time I have them done I'm going to grind the fins off and end up with plain rings which should polish up well and accept chrome better.

Just as a matter of interest was the rea drum cracked? I've yet to see one that didn't show some sign of cracking.

Another suggestion, try a CB900F master cylinder, better fluid pumpage and has the mirror mount if you need it.

Offline Oddjob

• Hot Shot
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2011, 05:17:28 am »
I do have some pics of the bike mentioned, however they were taken with old film not a digital camera and I have never bothered to scan them in the computer. Must get round to doing it  ::)
I spent about 1 year doing the 72 bike and I took quite a few pics of it as it was in progress, funny thing was I only took 2 of it after it was finished and I've since lost 1 of those, the other isn't a great pic.
I'll see if I can scan some of the restoration pics in and post them, the engine was stunning and drew crowds everytime I parked up.
As I was a trained Honda mechanic it actually sounded better than it looked which was no mean achievement, the bike was a mixture of 500 and 550 parts, I preferred the 550 for some parts as I thought the 500 was lacking in some areas, clocks are a good example, I fitted the clocks off a CB550F2, the blue ones, as the 500 clocks had a habit of bouncing at high speeds and they were badly angled IMO, you couldn't see them clearly when crounched down, as I was racing a 500 at the time this was important for me, used 550 front forks as well so I could have twin discs. I even used a 550 wiring harness as it was better made, didn't have just a single fuse and had little features like indicator buzzer and neutral starter feature. I adapted the harness so the stock 500 ignition switch was used along with the 550 switch, just an added security feature. I wired it so that the 550 switch was dead until the 500 was switched to park light, this also stopped the fuse box method of tripping it so you could start the bike with no keys, a design fault which Honda should have stopped much earlier than they did

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2011, 10:35:56 pm »
So I have been waiting on my tank and seat from BCR and finally got them.  They look great and are installed on the bike.  I would put some pictures up but I am moving to Columbus, Ohio this weekend.  I am still having some problems getting the bike started so if anyone can suggest a good shop in the Columbus area that will treat me good I would appreciate it…Or, if you are in the area and want some lunch on me for your help shoot me a message.   

Pics to come soon.

Offline bgfootball67

• Hot Shot
« Reply #137 on: June 08, 2011, 06:22:26 am »
Wow, very impressed with your build.  Finally made it around to check out your bike build thread.  Where are you at in Columbus?  You will have to meet us out for Vinmoto on Mondays or Ohio Cafe Racers rides on Wednesdays.  We are all over Columbus, Greg of OCR fame has had quite a bit of experience with the 500 4 model.  Best of luck...  Let me know if you need any help!
Columbus VinMoto
Ohio Cafe Racers website - http://www.ohiocaferacers.com

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2011, 07:12:13 am »
I'm in Hilliard.  I dropped my bike off at Venturi yesterday, so hopefully there is nothing majorly wrong with it and I'll be riding this month.  I don't have any time commitments until school starts in September so I can ride with you guys whenever!

Offline ohiocaferacer

• Hot Shot
  • www.OHIOCAFERACERS.com
    • OHIO CAFE RACERS
« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2011, 06:48:53 am »
Was out riding last night with Ed(BGFootball67).....he mentioned your build and told me to take a look at it. I'm glad he did.....looks amazing!!

Since your now in the Columbus area.....if you need any help.....drop me a note. I'm located down in Grove City.....but over on the westside of town alot. Like Ed said....i'm somewhat familiar with these ole Honda's. ;)

Look forward to seeing you out riding one night.

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2011, 03:04:45 pm »
I should be out riding soon!  Just waiting to hear back from Venturi on what they need to do to get it running.  We should get a group to go to the vintage show up north next month! 

100th post!  Booyah!

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2011, 07:27:58 pm »
I guess I should put up a picture of what the bike is looking like with the seat and tank all put on…Paint to come soon.

Offline hyde7278

• Enthusiast
« Reply #142 on: June 09, 2011, 08:08:28 pm »
great looking bike. a few questions:

I'm interested in some of BENJIES parts (tank and seat) my question is how is the fit and finish (some members have been less then impressed) and what ones did you get (metal or fiberglass)

Also which levers and lever mounts did you use (there exactly what I'm looking for)

thanks
Sean
78 CB550 (FOR PARTS)
76 CB550F

Offline joshuanagao

• Enthusiast
« Reply #143 on: June 09, 2011, 08:21:04 pm »
The levers and mounts I got off of eBay.  These are the ones: 
http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorcycle-Clutch-Brake-Levers-Set-7-8-Black-Handlebars-/140521713119?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b7bf2ddf

I ordered the mild steel seat and tank combo. 

Overall I am happy with the parts that I got from Benjie.  I had to ship the rear sets back though because they originally did not fit over the exhaust (a BCR exhaust) even though I specifically asked them to make them to fit over.  I was a little confused on the tank and seat mount.  Benjie says that they are direct bold on parts but I had to weld brackets onto the frame so that they would fit properly.  I really love the look of the parts, they were just more work than I thought they would be.  Also, BCR is a little slow with their deliveries.  Benjie told me that it would be 8-10 weeks for my seat and tank and it ended up taking 16 weeks.  Benjie did refund me $200 for taking so much longer. 

Honestly if I had to do it again, I think that I would try to do my own seat out of fiberglass (that's what I'm planning for my next build) and get the tank from somewhere else (there are a lot of forum members that fabricate really great stuff). 

That is just my 2 cents though.  Like I said, I love the look of the BCR parts, they just took a lot longer to get finished than I expected.

Offline Elniniomuchachos

• Hot Shot
« Reply #144 on: June 09, 2011, 10:49:42 pm »
Get a little bit done today…not much but its something.  I started to fab up the side covers.  I was going to leave it open but I never cut the tabs off before I powder coated the frame so I didn't want them to look out of place, so I decided to make them semi see through!

They aren't done yet, but that will be the basic idea.  I'm going to frame them with metal and weld it all up this weekend. 

I also got my points cover in the mail today!  Check it out!

That's very similar to my "triangle" set up. Except I'm using the smaller holed perforated steel. I'm probably going to leave it bare metal with clear-coat, Like my tank. What are you doing for an electrics box?

Offline hyde7278

• Enthusiast
« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2011, 12:43:46 pm »
Thanks for the feed back on the tank and seat. Im looking at the carbon fiber set but want to do some research since the pice is quite high. Its good to know he worked with you on the parts taking so long.
78 CB550 (FOR PARTS)
76 CB550F

Offline bootlegskate

« Reply #146 on: September 27, 2011, 12:04:33 pm »
liken the build, any updates?

Offline mgmt1234

« Reply #147 on: February 29, 2012, 07:33:09 pm »
Dude you have a sick bike, What are those controls? I know you have CRG levers and how did you do that because I want those on my bike. My ducati has those and I will never ride a bike without them. Thats my motor I dropped in a 650 cam. Sweet bike though!!
cb 550
Ducati monster 696

Offline dagersh

• "A country attempting to tax itself into prosperity is akin to a man standing in a bucket attempting to lift that bucket by its handle. - Winston Churchill"
  • Expert
    • Photos
« Reply #148 on: March 01, 2012, 09:30:57 am »
MGMT,

Nice motor there!  Where did you get the anodized hardware?  Good stuff?

Gersh!
1962 CA95
1966 Black Bomber
1966 CA77 Dream
1967 Superhawk
1970 CB750K0
1972 CL350
1972 CB450/500 Custom
1972 CB500K1
1975 CB550F
1976 CB400F
1975 CB750 Future Restoration
1976 CB750K6
1976 CB750F
1976 GL1000

1968 Suzuki T500 Cobra
1990 BMW K1
2001 'Busa
2003 RC 51
Bunch of Guzzi's

http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/dagersh/

Offline mgmt1234

« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2012, 08:29:02 pm »
i got it at probolt.com, I just got my pics back from benjie my tank and seat should be here buy the end of this week.
cb 550
Ducati monster 696