Author Topic: Minneapolis - any good bead blasters?  (Read 1907 times)

Offline bhkrause

Minneapolis - any good bead blasters?
« on: March 15, 2006, 06:06:10 pm »
Any Minneapolis riders have any leads to decent bead blasters?  Got some cylinders and heads I want to get cleaned up, wondered if anyone had any good experiences with any around town.  Preferably south or central part of town, I know there's a few wayyyy up north in Anoka and farther...

Thanks!

Bernie
78 cb400TII
77 cb750Finabox
current sohc #346
original sohc #2663
01 zrx1200r

slikwilli420

Re: Minneapolis - any good bead blasters?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 07:05:50 pm »
It may not be the greatest solution, buy you could try buying you own blasting equipment and media. You could get started for like $100. I've got a siphon feed sand blaster that i use. Its not as fast as the pros, but sure is cheaper. Ive done frames, motor parts, you name it. You can also buy many different types of media for your specific project.

Offline bhkrause

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 07:15:05 pm »
Thanks for the support, but please, DON'T encourage my habit if buying tools for single or twice usages...  :P  My wife wouldn't be happy with you.   ;D

Nope, looking to pay someone to get it done, othewise it'll take me 6 months again.
78 cb400TII
77 cb750Finabox
current sohc #346
original sohc #2663
01 zrx1200r

Offline pwright

• My SOHC Gallery Page >>
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 07:30:58 pm »
Bernie,

I'm in the Plymouth area... here's a suggestion: I was also looking for somebody to blast some parts that I was going to have powder coated. The powder coaters recommended the guy that they send all their parts to twice a week on a regular schedule. I just dropped my frame off at the coaters (I was going to have it coated anyways), and they got it back in a couple days and powder coated it for me. I had no luck looking in the phonebook, etc. So, my advice would be to find a powder coater near you, and give 'em a call. They don't need to know if you don't plan to use them to powder coat, and might have a name or two of blasters in the area.

Good luck!
-Pat-

Offline bhkrause

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 08:29:48 pm »
hey, this sort of solves 2 of my problems!!  Who'd you get the powder coating done by, how was the work, what did they charge?? 
78 cb400TII
77 cb750Finabox
current sohc #346
original sohc #2663
01 zrx1200r

Offline pwright

• My SOHC Gallery Page >>
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 05:59:35 am »
http://www.powdercoatingtech.com/index.cfm

They are up in Plymouth, off of 494 and 55. I had an old Honda Elsinore frame coated, and it cost me about $125 or so... I have also had some aircraft parts done, which were about the same. I was quite satisfied with the quality, and it was apparent that they do a lot of motorsports stuff... I saw a couple motorcycle frames sitting there as well as what looked like a hot rod chassis. I had them sandblast the aircraft parts and it cost an extra $30 or so if I remember correctly. I own a pretty nice sandblaster, but for that price it wasn't worth the time and mess to do it myself. They knew to plug up and tape off the neck and any holes in the frame.

Don't know if there's anybody down in the south suburbs that does powder coating...

Later,
-Pat-

comcrx

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 06:07:53 am »
there's a place in nord'east called powder coating. its around central and, say, 10th I think. drove past it the other day and it stuck out because I too need stuff blasted and recoated

Offline bhkrause

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 07:56:57 am »
Thanks, guys, I'll check them out!  And no, there aren't any in the south end in lower suburbia.  At least none that I've found.. :(
78 cb400TII
77 cb750Finabox
current sohc #346
original sohc #2663
01 zrx1200r

Kelvin8

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 02:01:47 pm »
Don't know about there, but here there is a seperate Business to Business yellow pages. For services like bead blasting, you may NOT find them in the regular yellow pages, but you will in the BtoB yellow pages. Get a copy, you'll find it invaluable (which, I guess is like "inflamable").

Kelvin