Author Topic: 78' CB750k can chain guide question  (Read 943 times)

Offline dashansel

78' CB750k can chain guide question
« on: May 19, 2016, 07:54:29 am »
Hey, new to the forum.

Restoring my fathers old 78' cb750k, we had pulled the motor and are doing a full restoration on the motor. The lower case is done and sealed but now i'm putting the can chain tensioner assem in and noticed that there is a discrepancy in some parts haha.   When the engine was broken down parts were labeled and stored well (so far we have all of them, at least the stuff thats being reused) But the weird thing is this chain guide doesnt look anything like what ive seen in any of the engine diagrams or the internet. I have a seized motor from a cb750 (i believe it was a '74) and pulled the guide from that as well to see what was up.

The longer curved guide my father said is 100% from the '78.. the shorter is from the seized motor, looking to order a new one anyway but just wanted to figure out if it was the correct guide for my sanity.

all the '78 guides ive seen online are this http://www.vintagecb750.com/products/4/engine/59/cam-chain-cam-chain-tensioners    (scroll down to chain guide)

i faintly remember reading some articles saying that the later years they switched to a longer guide to reduce slap?

if anybody has some insight on what is right/wrong its much appreciated.