Author Topic: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW ENGINE COLORS AND PHOTOS!  (Read 113180 times)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT!
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2011, 10:01:36 pm »
I think it would look great painted red.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
  • The green flag sets me free
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2011, 10:08:28 pm »
I think it would look great painted red.

You talked me into it Brother! I sanded it down today and as soon as I get it all done I will paint it red!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:45:32 pm by joeyputt »
Joe - Owner/Operator of DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building www.dwmsracing.com

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/joe.dwmsracing

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
    • DOOMTOWN RIDERS P.R.M.C.
« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2011, 12:29:22 am »
How are you planning on sealing the exhaust pipes to the head?
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1976 CB550 (590cc) road racer
1973 CB750K3
1972 NORTON Commando Combat
1996 KLX650 R

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2011, 09:47:55 am »
How are you planning on sealing the exhaust pipes to the head?

Brother Paulages I was originally going to weld collars to the end of each tube with tabs for mounting but I am now thinking about welding two plates to the end of the tubes, one on each side, similar to a car header with drilled holes in the plates so that I can bolt the header on using the original intake threaded studs with a gasket between the head and the header. I think the plates would give the header added strength and I also think they would look and seal better with the plates.

I am not going to build the front mounts until I get the rear section of the frame built so that I can get the angle of the exhaust to match the angle of the rear frame section.
Joe - Owner/Operator of DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building www.dwmsracing.com

Offline scroggins5000

• Enthusiast
    • scroggins5000.com
« Reply #154 on: January 13, 2011, 10:29:03 am »
This is wicked. I love the uniqueness and craftsmanship. Great work!

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
« Reply #155 on: January 13, 2011, 11:32:32 am »
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2011, 04:58:39 pm »
Brothers scroggins5000 and Syscrush thank you for the compliments!

I have the cam sitting here in the chair with me and have worked out what I will be doing with it. Before I start reworking the cam I want to put it back in the head and set up the degree wheel and gauges so that I can get the factory lift and duration readings off of it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 05:30:39 pm by joeyputt »

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #157 on: January 14, 2011, 08:26:53 pm »
A small rotary table, dividing head, or even spin index may be a big help to you..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #158 on: January 15, 2011, 01:19:27 pm »
This is awesome!................You may want to display your work at the Barber Vintage Festival in October.
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #159 on: January 15, 2011, 03:10:17 pm »
Brother 754 that equipment would be nice to have!

Brother Old Scrambler thank you for the compliment! I have a few friends that went to the Barber Vintage Festival and really enjoyed it! They all want me to go with them this year, I have never been but hear it is very nice.

I removed the head from the engine today so that I can start reworking it for the reverse port setup.

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #160 on: January 15, 2011, 06:39:02 pm »
This is awesome!................You may want to display your work at the Barber Vintage Festival in October.

+1

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #161 on: January 16, 2011, 03:42:49 pm »
I have been working on the top end for the past few days.

Today I removed the valves from the head and started cleaning it.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 03:50:51 pm by joeyputt »

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #162 on: January 16, 2011, 08:50:52 pm »
Before I start reworking the cam I want to put it back in the head and set up the degree wheel and gauges so that I can get the factory lift and duration readings off of it.

It would be great if you could post the cam specs when you record them.
For comparisons sake are you going to record the specs at .040" lift?

You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2011, 09:35:15 am »
Before I start reworking the cam I want to put it back in the head and set up the degree wheel and gauges so that I can get the factory lift and duration readings off of it.

It would be great if you could post the cam specs when you record them.
For comparisons sake are you going to record the specs at .040" lift?

Brother FunJimmy I am more than happy to get and post any of the stock readings that you would like. For what I need for this project my readings are directly off of the cam lobes but I can get the stock readings at the valve also so if that is what you need just let me know and I will read and post them for you.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:05:21 am by joeyputt »

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2011, 06:34:39 pm »
We made a final carburetor decision today! I have been having a really hard time deciding on what carburetors I wanted to run. My Dad has been telling me about these Nikki carburetors for awhile and I have really been wanting to look at a set, well he came by today bearing gifts! These carburetors are perfect and are everything I had hoped for and more!

We are going to run dual carburetors, one on each side of the engine with dual velocity stacks on each one! The carburetors are a single body with dual throats and butterflies, and a single choke and bowl.

The carburetors are similar to webers except they are a lot cleaner looking and a little smaller which makes them the perfect size for the 550!

I am really excited about this carb setup!

The bowl is off in these photos.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:40:56 pm by joeyputt »

Offline Roach

• Expert
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2011, 06:47:22 pm »
very interesting. so running 2 carbs? excuse my noobness but i thought that when your cyclenders fire it fires 1&4 and 2&3 so if you had one carb for the 1&2 and 3&4 wouldn't it only be shooting fuel in on the 1&4 rotation?  ???
1978 CB550K Cafe Racer

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2011, 04:59:01 am »
very interesting. so running 2 carbs? excuse my noobness but i thought that when your cyclenders fire it fires 1&4 and 2&3 so if you had one carb for the 1&2 and 3&4 wouldn't it only be shooting fuel in on the 1&4 rotation?  ???
1&4 fire together and so do 2&3 because the ignition is a waste spark system.  When 1 is finishing its compression stroke and firing its plug, 4 is finishing its exhaust stroke, and vice-versa (and same with 2&3).

So at any given moment, exactly 1 of the cylinders is in each of the 4 strokes.

Now, the spark timing really has very little to do with the carbs.  When you talk about a carb "shooting fuel", this sounds a lot more like a sequential fuel injection setup.  The way that a carb works is VERY different.  With a carb, air is flowing through in an almost continuous but complicated pulsed pattern with air flowing in and pressure waves flowing in and out.  The movement of the air through the carburetor uses a variety of metering schemes and fluid dynamics effects to provide the correct amount of fuel for the air based on throttle opening, various pressure differentials, etc.  It doesn't really "shoot fuel" the way an injection system does.

In a typical setup for an I4 engine, you run 4 single-barrel carburetors with a common throttle linkage.  In this case, it's 2 double-barrel carbs.  You'll see that each cylinder still gets it own venturi, so it's effectively equal to the setup with 4 double-barrel carbs.  If he was running 2 single-barrel carbs, then it would make more sense to pair 1&4 and 2&3, because that would result in evenly-spaced intake pulses, but that would create significant packaging problems since you'd need a mess of plumbing up in the front of the engine behind the front wheel.

This is all a bit disjointed, but hopefully it makes a bit of sense.
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2011, 09:29:01 am »
Very well said Brother Syscrush.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2011, 09:40:48 am »
Carb Q's,

What is the throat or venturi size?

So they a lot of circuits, and is jetting available?

What size engine were they originally on?

What is the approx size?

Throat spacing?
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Raef

• Expert
« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2011, 09:42:22 am »
Joey

I am interested in the cam grinding getting ready to go on here.

I am not looking to do anything as different as you but since you can not add larger valves the only way to increase the opening size would be to increase lift and duration. correct me if I am wrong but the only way to increase lift in this application is to narrow the cam profile?

setting up a jig to measure the lift and the rate of open and close is not to big of a deal. the part I am interested in is how you remove the material from the cam, restore the cam finish so it don't eat the matting surfaces or its self and do you do anything as far as testing the hardness of the finished product?

I diggit when people "do it their own way" anyone can "buy it", "restore it" or "just throw money at it" not just anybody can built it.

Mark

Offline Roach

• Expert
« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2011, 10:01:51 am »
1&4 fire together and so do 2&3 because the ignition is a waste spark system.  When 1 is finishing its compression stroke and firing its plug, 4 is finishing its exhaust stroke, and vice-versa (and same with 2&3).

So at any given moment, exactly 1 of the cylinders is in each of the 4 strokes.

Now, the spark timing really has very little to do with the carbs.  When you talk about a carb "shooting fuel", this sounds a lot more like a sequential fuel injection setup.  The way that a carb works is VERY different.  With a carb, air is flowing through in an almost continuous but complicated pulsed pattern with air flowing in and pressure waves flowing in and out.  The movement of the air through the carburetor uses a variety of metering schemes and fluid dynamics effects to provide the correct amount of fuel for the air based on throttle opening, various pressure differentials, etc.  It doesn't really "shoot fuel" the way an injection system does.

In a typical setup for an I4 engine, you run 4 single-barrel carburetors with a common throttle linkage.  In this case, it's 2 double-barrel carbs.  You'll see that each cylinder still gets it own venturi, so it's effectively equal to the setup with 4 double-barrel carbs.  If he was running 2 single-barrel carbs, then it would make more sense to pair 1&4 and 2&3, because that would result in evenly-spaced intake pulses, but that would create significant packaging problems since you'd need a mess of plumbing up in the front of the engine behind the front wheel.

This is all a bit disjointed, but hopefully it makes a bit of sense.
thanks for the response learn something new every day
1978 CB550K Cafe Racer

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
    • DOOMTOWN RIDERS P.R.M.C.
« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2011, 10:41:06 am »
Joey

I am interested in the cam grinding getting ready to go on here.

I am not looking to do anything as different as you but since you can not add larger valves the only way to increase the opening size would be to increase lift and duration. correct me if I am wrong but the only way to increase lift in this application is to narrow the cam profile?

setting up a jig to measure the lift and the rate of open and close is not to big of a deal. the part I am interested in is how you remove the material from the cam, restore the cam finish so it don't eat the matting surfaces or its self and do you do anything as far as testing the hardness of the finished product?

I diggit when people "do it their own way" anyone can "buy it", "restore it" or "just throw money at it" not just anybody can built it.

Mark

You cannot remove much material from the base circle on this cam without compromising rocker geometry. I don't know how he's reworking this cam, but it should be interesting...

BTW, larger valves can happen, he'd just need new seats.
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1976 CB550 (590cc) road racer
1973 CB750K3
1972 NORTON Commando Combat
1996 KLX650 R

Offline Goofaroo

• general nuisance
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #172 on: January 18, 2011, 12:12:23 pm »
Very slick! I hope you are pleasantly surprised with the performance when it is done. Do I detect a bit of Canondale influence?

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #173 on: January 18, 2011, 12:25:47 pm »
Brother Roach as Brother Syscrush already mentioned the carburetors are a single body with two individual throats so each cylinder will still have its own throat and intake.

Brother 754 I will have to mic the throats to see what the exact measurement is, measuring with a tape each throat at the butterfly is 26mm. The carburetors accept regular screw in jets so jetting is available and very simple. The throat spacing measuring from the center of one throat to the other is roughly 1 1/2 inches.

Brothers raef and paulages I need to polish the cam and it is ready to use but I do have rocker arm work to do still.

Brother Goofaroo thank you for the hopes of it performing well and for the compliment! I am not familiar with the Canondale you mentioned, what is it so I can look it up?!

I am building the intake manifolds now and as soon as I get them done I will finish the head and the rockers and put the top end back togethor.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 12:35:39 pm by joeyputt »

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2011, 12:54:12 pm »
The ill-fated Cannondale E440 dirtbike had a rear-exit exhaust:

So does the 2010 YZ450: