Author Topic: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW ENGINE COLORS AND PHOTOS!  (Read 113227 times)

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
Re: CB550FOUR SUPER REVERSE PORT! PAINTED, ENGRAVED & POLISHING NOW!
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2011, 10:46:45 am »
Holy crap.  :o

If you don't flip the head around, then are you going to end up with the exhaust valves used for intake and vice-versa?  If so, I would be concerned about that motor's ability to breathe.

Very, very rad build, and I'm very excited to see how you make out with it.

Take your time, enjoy the journey, and post plenty of pics! :)
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
    • DOOMTOWN RIDERS P.R.M.C.
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2011, 12:11:53 pm »
Holy crap.  :o

If you don't flip the head around, then are you going to end up with the exhaust valves used for intake and vice-versa?  If so, I would be concerned about that motor's ability to breathe.

Very, very rad build, and I'm very excited to see how you make out with it.

Take your time, enjoy the journey, and post plenty of pics! :)

I get the feeling he's not so concerned about performance. It'll run like that (with the right cam), but the port design and valve sizes will be less than optimal.

The more I think about it (without looking at a 550 head) I think there may be room to improve the exhaust ports as intakes, as the port is so shallow in the head.. it would be relatively easy to reshape what's there, and runners could be designed from scratch. Still doesn't get around the valve size.
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1976 CB550 (590cc) road racer
1973 CB750K3
1972 NORTON Commando Combat
1996 KLX650 R

Offline the technological J

• Master
  • deliciouso!
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2011, 01:39:51 pm »
i realize its called ram air when this is done but is like a turbo effect?
70 KO...sold to fund the ST http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88800.0(Alpha)
74 Kaw 250 Enduro http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=124278.0
K4 added to collection! http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=104784.0
78 750K... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60257.0 (Omega)sold to fund the K4
94 ST1100..Gone
72 750 K2 Stay tuned!

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2011, 02:22:36 pm »
i realize its called ram air when this is done but is like a turbo effect?
It won't give results anywhere near a turbocharger.  Turbo could give you anywhere from 5-20psi of boost (more with super-exotic setups) - ram air effect at 100mph might be 1psi if you had a really carefully designed intake & airbox.  Running the carbs up front won't provide any benefit in terms of either.

It will just be super-wicked to the power of awesome.  ;D
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
  • The green flag sets me free
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2011, 06:05:02 pm »
I am not doing it for any kind of performance advantage. I am building it simply for the cool factor! I will be doing valve and port work to the head. As far as ram air effect it is my opinion that there would be little to no performance advantage.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 07:34:13 pm by joeyputt »
Joe - Owner/Operator of DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building www.dwmsracing.com

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/joe.dwmsracing

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2011, 06:07:06 pm »
I set the engine in the frame cradle so that I can start getting the measurements for the exhaust and the frame bars. I got this Yoshimura exhaust can from a friend and started sanding it today to get it ready for polishing.

I have a couple of different ideas for a header so I started building the first one to see what it would look like. This is just the tubing and I still need to weld the collars to the front and build a collector for the rear. I may add a bend two thirds of the way down as I feel it needs a little more shape.

I am also thinking about building another header designed with more bends and the pipes stacked at the end to see what it would look like. The header will not be red that is just the color of the tubing I am using.

Joe - Owner/Operator of DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building www.dwmsracing.com

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2011, 06:10:27 pm »
Fantastic!

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2011, 07:30:21 pm »
I am not doing it for any kind of performance advantage. I am building it simply for the cool factor!
That's awesome.

I will be doing port work to the head as well as swapping the valves and seats. As far as ram air effect it is my opinion that there would be little to no performance advantage.
I can not wait to see that.  Really looking forward to seeing how you handle the seat swap!

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2011, 07:33:09 pm »
I am also thinking about building another header designed with more bends and the pipes stacked at the end to see what it would look like. The header will not be red that is just the color of the tubing I am using.
This is so exciting.

I can't help feeling like the Ford "bundle of snakes" exhaust would serve as a very fruitful source of inspiration for this project.  It looks like you're planning something very angular, but I want to toss this out to give you something to think about:

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2011, 07:39:24 pm »
That is what I am talking about! Those headers are nice! I am really wanting to do something like that but with them going straight back and them only being around ten inches long there is really not a lot of room to work with but I am really giving thought to building a second set as the first set would look really clean but I just think they need more shape.

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2011, 07:42:51 pm »
That is what I am talking about! Those headers are nice! I am really wanting to do something like that but with them going straight back and them only being around ten inches long there is really not a lot of room to work with but I am really giving thought to building a second set as the first set would look really clean but I just think they need more shape.
If you did equal-length and ran the two middle ones down in an S-curve, then the two outboard ones into a slightly shallower S-curve that ended above the middle/bottom pair, you'd be set for a standard 4-into-1 collector, or a pair of side-by-side 2-into-1 collectors, and you'd have a nice bit of shape.

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2011, 07:48:09 pm »
Brother that is what I was thinking about doing on the second set. I am still thinking hard on the header design!

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2011, 02:14:19 pm »
I really did not think the first header fit the look I am going for so I started building a new design today!

I really like this header and it is the one I will be using!

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
Re: CB550FOUR SUPER REVERSE PORT! SECOND HEADER DESIGN!
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2011, 02:52:38 pm »
That is f'n gorgeous.

If anyone gives you crap about the runners being unequal length, just say that you did that to broaden the torque curve.  ;D

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2011, 02:59:30 pm »
Wow!
Major rethink going on here.
Can't wait to see it finished.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2011, 03:23:09 pm »
Thank you for the compliments Brothers!

I did a little research and it seems that unequal length tubes do increase the torque curve but I have never run them, have you Brother Syscrush?

Here is another pic!

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 03:54:30 pm by joeyputt »

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2011, 03:51:54 pm »
I wonder what the motor would sound like with the cylinders paired up 1-4, 2-3, but with the unequal lengths?  Definitely a departure from the factory couplings.
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2011, 07:40:23 pm »
I did a little research and it seems that unequal length tubes do increase the torque curve but I have never run them, have you Brother Syscrush?
No, I haven't.  I'm not an engine builder.  But I do have a degree in physics, and unequal length headers and/or intake stacks will definitely broaden the torque curve.  People get waaaaaay too hung up on equal-length exhaust pipes IMO.  For an application like yours, go with what looks/feels/fits best.

Here is another pic!
I think I love you.  :-[

Offline Raef

• Expert
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2011, 07:52:32 pm »
here is a set I built a few years ago the sound was wicked. the projected got sent in another direction and a stainless version of this exhaust will appear soon.

I dig the twisty set.

Mark

Offline jneuf

• Hot Shot
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2011, 08:03:34 pm »
Thank you for the compliments Brothers!

Here is another pic!

If you cleared out all of the electronics under your seat, you could have those tubes feed straight into a little turbo....you could brace it nicely under the seat, with plenty of room...turbos don't care about unequal length tubes either!!
'75 CB400f

Offline FrankenFrankenstuff

• Master
    • FrankenBike Stuff Store
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2011, 08:19:39 pm »
Me likey. I have just been looking at the pics. What if you do somthing like the cycle x 2 carb setup, then you could just have 2 big ol' honking carbs sticking outside the downtubes. (there is no room for the stock carbs out front.....right?)
Great work and ship anything that you dont use to my house...I will use it. ;D

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2011, 09:24:45 pm »
 A bit of gooseneck behind the steering tube (neck), will give unlimited carb clearance..
 I ran an unequal length header from a turbo, added a pipe and megahone.. more than happy with it. It uses small primaries, takes up less room.
 On your header, may as well curve the other two, look better, and only a bit more work..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline the technological J

• Master
  • deliciouso!
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2011, 10:20:22 pm »
you know if you twisted 3 under 2 and had em come out in the place of each other it would look cool
70 KO...sold to fund the ST http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88800.0(Alpha)
74 Kaw 250 Enduro http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=124278.0
K4 added to collection! http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=104784.0
78 750K... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60257.0 (Omega)sold to fund the K4
94 ST1100..Gone
72 750 K2 Stay tuned!

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
    • DOOMTOWN RIDERS P.R.M.C.
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2011, 12:51:12 am »
Don't wanna be a debbie downer, but i'm still wondering how the whole engine-running-to care-about-torque-curves thing is going to happen... Is there an existing cam grind being used here? Again, "broad torque curve" will be a moot point if the engine is barely running or struggling through a weird breathing apparatus. i'm asking honestly here, not trying to be a dick: Who's doing this cam, and is it really running stick valves but in reverse? The creativity here is commendable, I'm just trying to understand the engineering...
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1976 CB550 (590cc) road racer
1973 CB750K3
1972 NORTON Commando Combat
1996 KLX650 R

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2011, 06:05:53 am »
cool factor is high, I am wondering how this is all going to shack down?  Looking forward to the end result and watching.