Author Topic: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW ENGINE COLORS AND PHOTOS!  (Read 113205 times)

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
Re: CB550FOUR SUPER REVERSE PORT! SECOND HEADER DESIGN!
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2011, 06:25:07 am »
Don't wanna be a debbie downer, but i'm still wondering how the whole engine-running-to care-about-torque-curves thing is going to happen... Is there an existing cam grind being used here? Again, "broad torque curve" will be a moot point if the engine is barely running or struggling through a weird breathing apparatus. i'm asking honestly here, not trying to be a dick: Who's doing this cam, and is it really running stick valves but in reverse? The creativity here is commendable, I'm just trying to understand the engineering...
I don't wanna try to speak for Joey, but my understanding is that this build is about style and uniqueness, not about performance.  I put the big ";D" after my remark about the unequal-length headers to denote that it was a joke - given that performance isn't really a concern with this build.

With that said, he could also claim that the shorter runners on the inbound cylinders help to compensate for the fact that those 2 cylinders get less cooling.  NOTE -->  ;D ;D ;D
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline FrankenFrankenstuff

• Master
    • FrankenBike Stuff Store
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2011, 09:26:33 am »
Just for shiits and giggles....If you were to make me a 1 off nutty header for my Cb550...How much? (by nutty I mean twisty like that Ford header) just something that nobody else has.
Here is the link to my project.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=70436.msg782070#msg782070

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
    • DOOMTOWN RIDERS P.R.M.C.
« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2011, 10:26:13 am »
Don't wanna be a debbie downer, but i'm still wondering how the whole engine-running-to care-about-torque-curves thing is going to happen... Is there an existing cam grind being used here? Again, "broad torque curve" will be a moot point if the engine is barely running or struggling through a weird breathing apparatus. i'm asking honestly here, not trying to be a dick: Who's doing this cam, and is it really running stick valves but in reverse? The creativity here is commendable, I'm just trying to understand the engineering...
I don't wanna try to speak for Joey, but my understanding is that this build is about style and uniqueness, not about performance.  I put the big ";D" after my remark about the unequal-length headers to denote that it was a joke - given that performance isn't really a concern with this build.

With that said, he could also claim that the shorter runners on the inbound cylinders help to compensate for the fact that those 2 cylinders get less cooling.  NOTE -->  ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, like I said, I'm not trying to be a dick... I just wonder how it's going to work out. There's a difference between enhancing performance and... well, performing at all. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out, I was just wondering about the details. If I remember right, there was a thread about this years ago, but I believe it discussed flipping the head around.
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1976 CB550 (590cc) road racer
1973 CB750K3
1972 NORTON Commando Combat
1996 KLX650 R

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2011, 10:32:11 am »
 He did mention he was planning on reversing the valves and seats..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
  • The green flag sets me free
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2011, 05:18:40 pm »
I would like to thank all of you for your compliments and support, it means more to me than you could ever know and makes me very proud to be a member here among so many fine people.

Brother Frankenstuff I will take a look at your build thread and would love to build a header for you!

I welded the collector on to the end of the header today! Here are the pics! And thank you all again for your compliments and support!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 07:18:46 pm by joeyputt »
Joe - Owner/Operator of DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building www.dwmsracing.com

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/joe.dwmsracing

Offline Raef

• Expert
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2011, 06:09:31 pm »
The cam is the only real issue I seen and before I inquired you answered. Do you have a cam grinder or access to one? if not how do you modify them?

I have always thought there was room for large gains in the motors in the reduction of internal drag and friction.

I would love it build or get my hands on a set of full roller rockers for a 550

Mark

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2011, 05:14:42 am »
HOLY GOODNESS BATMAN!!!    This build is going to be like watching the birth of Jesus.  I'm very excited...both inter-cranially and in the form of fluttery butterflies in the lower left belly.    I dub thee header "TWIXXXLER"  like a twizzler but much more naughty!   :D :D :D

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2011, 05:52:50 am »
Awesome commentary as usual HN, I find myself searching threads just to read you comments, lol.

On another note the header is TWIXXXLER.....SIck!

I dub thee header "TWIXXXLER"  like a twizzler but much more naughty!   :D :D :D

• Master
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2011, 07:08:20 am »
friggin Twixxxler sick

"Yo dawg, that bike thar be frigging Twixxxler sick Yo" - I say to you in conversations like such as
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:10:08 am by Frankenstuff »

Offline KRONUS0100

• MAD MATT THE MANIAC
  • Expert
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2011, 07:15:40 am »
have read and re-read this....mebbe I missed it...but where did you get the Titanium Blue engine paint and who makes it?     This is an awesome build..  Motor is definitely major awesome.
MATT
current bikes:  1976 CB750F, 1981 GS1100E
bikes owned:1981 GL1100I, 1990 GS500E, 1981 GS850, 1977 and 1979 GS750, 1974 CB750, 1975 CB750, and a 1982 GS750E

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2011, 07:38:29 am »
TWIXXXLER! I love it! Can I use that?! I am going to coat the header in red after I finish welding it all and I could write TWIXXXLER on the side of the pipe in black!

Brother KRONUS0100 the Titanium Silver Blue that I used is the VHT High Temperature Engine Metallic number SP403. Most auto parts stores have the VHT Paint
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:40:15 am by joeyputt »
Joe - Owner/Operator of DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building www.dwmsracing.com

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2011, 07:52:08 am »
The cam is the only real issue I seen and before I inquired you answered. Do you have a cam grinder or access to one? if not how do you modify them?

I have always thought there was room for large gains in the motors in the reduction of internal drag and friction.

Mark

Brother raef I cut all of my personal cams by hand and I use a degree wheel and a micrometer lift gauge setup to read the duration and lift directly off of the lobes, it is a very time consuming process but I enjoy doing them!

I have never seen roller rockers for these engines, do you know of anyone making them? I saw the photo you posted of your headers, they look awesome!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 08:04:23 am by joeyputt »

Offline HedNut

• Underwater Basket Weaving
  • Expert
  • CB750...A Two-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass
« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2011, 08:29:50 am »
TWIXXXLER! I love it! Can I use that?! I am going to coat the header in red after I finish welding it all and I could write TWIXXXLER on the side of the pipe in black!

Twixxxler is all yours dude!  It would be entirely badass if you did that...   YO diggity done wearin' Twixx'n my slicks all up in err'....?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 08:32:56 am by HedNut »

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2011, 09:40:30 am »
Bro Joe, don't paint it on your header, engrave it on a spare side cover and mail it to HN. :)
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2011, 05:27:55 pm »
I worked on the exhaust can today! It was longer than I wanted so I cut five inches out of it. I am going to mount it straight off of the header. I am sanding it now to get it ready for polishing.

Here is how long it was.

Here is how long it is now.

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
Re: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! I CUT THE EXHAUST CAN!
« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2011, 06:33:03 pm »
isnt the header backwards or did i miss something?

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2011, 06:39:34 pm »

Brother Jaguar I am reverse porting this engine, carburetors out front and exhaust out back!

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2011, 06:42:31 pm »

No, Why does your exhaust come off the front of your motor Jag? That is so 70's! ;D ;D

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2011, 06:45:36 pm »

No, Why does your exhaust come off the front of your motor Jag? That is so 70's! ;D ;D

Hahahaha! 

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2011, 06:47:29 pm »
Joeyputt that thing is gonna be right under your butt!!
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2011, 06:54:40 pm »

It will be pretty close Brother fastbroshi! I am going to build a cafe style tailsection and the can will be right to the end of it, I will have to add a little piece of pipe between the header and the can but I will not be able to do it until I get the rear section of the frame built to make sure I have the angle and length that I want. I am going to weld it all up, the header, mid pipe, and can will all be one piece with no clamps so it will look really clean!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:03:16 pm by joeyputt »

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2011, 07:09:14 pm »

And is that gonna be hot!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

• Master
« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2011, 07:22:00 pm »
Hott

Offline Raef

• Expert
« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2011, 07:24:37 pm »

Mark

Brother raef I cut all of my personal cams by hand and I use a degree wheel and a micrometer lift gauge setup to read the duration and lift directly off of the lobes, it is a very time consuming process but I enjoy doing them!

I have never seen roller rockers for these engines, do you know of anyone making them? I saw the photo you posted of your headers, they look awesome!

No I have never seen roller anything for the top end of these engines, I have brought it up before, if there is any out there no ones has brought them to my attention. 
I have wondered what would stop someone from grinding their own cam, other than temper and finish that is :)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2011, 07:30:26 pm »
Cooll!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........