Author Topic: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW ENGINE COLORS AND PHOTOS!  (Read 113161 times)

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
Re: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW PHOTO!
« Reply #250 on: February 01, 2011, 06:15:38 am »
or if your the kinda of guy that likes to build things.... ;) check this website out.
http://www.gottrikes.com/Tube_Bender.htm
No mandrel?  PFFFFFT...
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline P_Camps

• Enthusiast
« Reply #251 on: February 01, 2011, 06:56:50 am »
I'm flabberfakengasted!!  Buddy that is just INSANEEEE!  wowowowowow.... I have no cohesive words to share just yet.

Here I am all proud because I managed to upgrade my signals and lights!!  lololol
1978 CB550

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
  • The green flag sets me free
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #252 on: February 01, 2011, 11:37:31 am »
Brother P_Camps Thank You for such an awesome compliment and you should be proud of your signals and lights!

I just bent the first two pieces of tubing for the front of the frame and the tubing bender works very well and bent the tubing beautifully with no creases, I would highly recommend this bender to anyone interested in having one.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 11:46:24 am by joeyputt »
Joe - Owner/Operator of DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building www.dwmsracing.com

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/joe.dwmsracing

Offline unitedguitar

• Enthusiast
« Reply #253 on: February 01, 2011, 11:49:58 am »
Joey, I have a question about the bender that you are using. Can it bend tubing into the hoop shape that many people are going with for their cafe style bikes?
Ben Whitener

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #254 on: February 01, 2011, 05:57:02 pm »
Joey, I have a question about the bender that you are using. Can it bend tubing into the hoop shape that many people are going with for their cafe style bikes?

Brother it should bend a loop real nice, I bent several different pieces today with it and they all came out very nice. Are you referring to the hoop for the rear of the seat frame section? I am going to start building a lot of cafe loops and other parts so if you would like me to bend a hoop for you send me the measurements and the size tube you would like and I will be more than happy to make one for you.
Joe - Owner/Operator of DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building www.dwmsracing.com

Offline unitedguitar

• Enthusiast
« Reply #255 on: February 01, 2011, 06:52:23 pm »
Awesome. I'll keep that in mind for my next build. Thanks!
Ben Whitener

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #256 on: February 03, 2011, 08:24:00 pm »
I converted the front of the frame from a double downtube to a single into a double downtube to make room for the dual carburetors out front.

I also goosenecked the top of the single downtube so that it can be welded directly to the neck which will do away with all of the factory stamped steel so that I can have a full tube frame.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:06:19 pm by joeyputt »

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #257 on: February 03, 2011, 08:29:28 pm »
Looks good Brother Joey!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline q2418130103p

• Hot Shot
« Reply #258 on: February 03, 2011, 08:33:56 pm »
I like that a lot, very cool.
Check out my CB550 project thread:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=83097

Offline BlindJoe

• Expert
« Reply #259 on: February 03, 2011, 11:18:41 pm »
Looks awesome! Did you make a jig to weld the frame?

Offline lordmember1969

• Hot Shot
« Reply #260 on: February 03, 2011, 11:59:01 pm »
1977 CB 750 SS Cafe
1977 CB 750 Basket case
1971 Mustang Grande
1928 Model A Pheathon Hot Rod
1977 Harley Custom FXE

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=70333.0

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #261 on: February 04, 2011, 05:38:59 am »
Very exciting work, brother.
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline P_Camps

• Enthusiast
« Reply #262 on: February 04, 2011, 09:07:07 am »
so Im guessing you will have to shift with your right foot and brake with your left??
1978 CB550

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #263 on: February 04, 2011, 09:39:33 am »
so Im guessing you will have to shift with your right foot and brake with your left??
It's not the whole drivetrain swapped, he's not even swapping the head - just swapping valve seats and using a custom-ground cam to change the exhaust ports into intake and vice-versa.

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
    • DOOMTOWN RIDERS P.R.M.C.
« Reply #264 on: February 04, 2011, 10:01:52 am »
It's not the whole drivetrain swapped, he's not even swapping the head - just swapping valve seats and using a custom-ground cam to change the exhaust ports into intake and vice-versa.

He didn't even swap the valve seats.

Joey- looks great. Regarding the bender, the flat spots you're getting (rather than keeping the same round cross-section through the whole bend) was the problem I encountered when I tried to use that bender. I tried sand in the tubes, heating the tubes... I still couldn't get rid of that flat spot. If you don't mind it, then it's money well spent. Those (pipe) benders are cheap...
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1976 CB550 (590cc) road racer
1973 CB750K3
1972 NORTON Commando Combat
1996 KLX650 R

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #265 on: February 04, 2011, 10:10:52 am »
I'm pretty sure that he's stated that swapping the seats so that the valves can also be swapped has been stated as part of the plan...

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #266 on: February 04, 2011, 11:26:12 am »

Joey- looks great. Regarding the bender, the flat spots you're getting (rather than keeping the same round cross-section through the whole bend) was the problem I encountered when I tried to use that bender. I tried sand in the tubes, heating the tubes... I still couldn't get rid of that flat spot. If you don't mind it, then it's money well spent. Those (pipe) benders are cheap...

I did not have any flat spots and did not use heat, the bender worked very well and bent my tubing as nice as factory. I have heard from many people that they have had a hard time using this type of bender but it has worked very well for me and makes some of the nicest bends I have ever seen.

There are a lot of things being done inside the engine but I have been trying to stay away from going into too much detail so that we will not have big debates over it.

The shifter and brake will remain on their factory sides.

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
« Reply #267 on: February 04, 2011, 03:49:44 pm »

There are a lot of things being done inside the engine but I have been trying to stay away from going into too much detail so that we will not have big debates over it.

Oh come on now... there are some of the best SOHC4 engine builders in the world on this site, Whatcha skeered of? ;)
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1973 CB750K3
1996 KLX650 R

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #268 on: February 04, 2011, 05:31:30 pm »

Oh come on now... there are some of the best SOHC4 engine builders in the world on this site, Whatcha skeered of? ;)

You are just going to call me out like that brother?! Hahahaha!

I agree there are definately many talented people here which is one of the reasons I enjoy my time here so much!

"He didn't even swap the valve seats." You made this statement earlier, I have not said over the internet what I have done internally so respectfully I ask why would you say this if you do not mind me asking? I posted the before photos of the head but not any of the afters yet.

Offline unitedguitar

• Enthusiast
« Reply #269 on: February 04, 2011, 06:15:30 pm »
Personally I don't think you would being doing the modification if you didn't at least have some knowledge of what you are doing. And since you appear to run a motor sports business I'd say that you are probably qualified to do the work. I don't pretend in any way to understand how to do what you are doing but I think it is pretty trick and I think it is turning out pretty awesome.
Ben Whitener

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #270 on: February 04, 2011, 06:26:52 pm »
Thank you Brother, It is not hard to do it is just very time consuming as I am hand building most of the parts as you can not buy reverse port parts and some parts take a lot longer than others, for example I have over twice the time in the one intake as I do the header and I still have to build the intake for the other side.

As for the internal engine components it would be hard for me to explain without writing a very long post but if you were here I could show you a lot easier.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 06:35:09 pm by joeyputt »

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
« Reply #271 on: February 04, 2011, 06:36:18 pm »

You are just going to call me out like that brother?! Hahahaha!

I agree there are definately many talented people here which is one of the reasons I enjoy my time here so much!

"He didn't even swap the valve seats." You made this statement earlier, I have not said over the internet what I have done internally so respectfully I ask why would you say this if you do not mind me asking? I posted the before photos of the head but not any of the afters yet.

OK, ok... fair enough, I don't know what you've done. I do know how much work and time is involved in removing the seats, welding the head to accept a smaller seat on the (former) intake side, boring the head to fit the larger seat on the (former) exhaust side (not to mention finding new seats), removing material on the new intake port to match the new seat and valve size, FILLING the new exhaust port where the old, larger seat used to be... and all the while regrinding the cam for the reverse setup within the time span you posted.

I made an assumption, I admit it. I'll be incredibly impressed if you did all that stuff that quick! Really, not being a smart ass. I'm really interested in how this thing is gonna work, and the mysteries of the engine itself are what have my attention.

Maybe you're not really familiar enough with this site yet.... WE WANT PICTURES!  ;D ;D ;D
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1973 CB750K3
1996 KLX650 R

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #272 on: February 04, 2011, 06:44:57 pm »
Hahahaha! I figured you were trying to get me to spill! The head is not done yet I just set it on the engine to get the measurements for the frame and the cam is not in the head either however it is ready to go as soon as I polish it.

I know you are at the top of the list of people who are truly interested in what is being done inside and I will put it all out there soon with photos.

I only get a few hours a day to work on her as I am running the shop the rest of the time but I have been trying to add new photos almost daily it is just very time consuming to hand build all of these parts while working on the engine itself at the same time!

I definately know you were not being rude man and I totally understand that the mystery is keeping you watching but that is half of the appeal! Hahahaha! I have to leave at least a little to the imagination! I will release it all before this build is overwith though.

Offline ivanhoew

• Hot Shot
« Reply #273 on: February 04, 2011, 11:58:15 pm »
of course ,you could always turbocharge it joey ,and leave the old inlet big for exhaust,,and just do the new  inlets to the same size ;)
just do it .

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #274 on: February 05, 2011, 06:45:53 pm »
of course ,you could always turbocharge it joey ,and leave the old inlet big for exhaust,,and just do the new  inlets to the same size ;)

Brother ivanhoe I thought about doing a turbo because it would look cool built into the exhaust but I really want to keep this bike really clean looking and with the carburetors up front I felt it would look too cluttered.