Author Topic: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW ENGINE COLORS AND PHOTOS!  (Read 113103 times)

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
  • The green flag sets me free
    • www.dwmsracing.com
Re: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW PHOTO!
« Reply #325 on: February 08, 2011, 12:19:31 am »
Brother paulages I respectfully think you have misunderstood what I wrote as I was not writing in referance to valve overlap which occurs when the exhaust valve is closing and the intake valve is opening which occurs at the end of the exhaust and beginning of the intake strokes not the compression stroke, valve overlap is however important for scavenging which I have not wrote about yet.

I was writing in referance to cam ez-spins and their affect on the compression stroke.

Re-read what I wrote, Joey... I said "...cams are designed so that there is overlap on the intake and compression stroke." I am talking about the grey area that is between the intake stroke and the compression stroke. I was not referring to intake/exhaust valve overlap. We call them "four stroke" engines, but in reality each "stroke" is not a cleanly between TDC and BDC. The point at which the intake stoke ends and the compression stroke begins is not necessarily decided by the closing of the intake valve or the rising of the piston. There is an overlap of these two cycles (not confusing with valve overlap) which intake velocity RULES. The intake valve overlaps the compression stroke to get as much combustible mixture into the cylinder as possible, by having the velocity of the intake charge overcome the compression caused my the rising piston, ideally until the moment the valve closes. There is certainly an argument to be made regarding high lift vs. valve duration, but do you really think that no one has ever considered duration vs. lift on these engines?  ::)

For your consideration, for example, try this article from 1971: http://cb750k2.tripod.com/Technical/porting/Porting_the_Honda_Head.htm

I was just pointing out the simplicity of your description of the fact that the intake valve closes after BDC, as if Honda and every performance aftermarket company did this on accident or something. Bear in mind, the intake valve is relatively cool on the intake stroke and doesn't need to be closed as gently as the exhaust valve... If the cycle were as simple as you describe, why wouldn't cams close the valve at BDC? Why would you need to make this "EZ spinning" cam to get more compression?

Ok, I just realized that you're talking Briggs stuff here. Eh, I give up.

This is exactly why I said I wanted to stay away from the internal engine design. This was your second attempt and you still have no idea or understanding of what I was writing about, which is ok, but is also why I have left the technicalities of the internal engine design out of this thread.

Yes briggs engines have it, atv's have it, motorcycles have it, your lawnmower has it. They all also share a lot of other components that make up a four stroke engine.

Oh well I tried, back to letting the photos show the work.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:26:42 am by joeyputt »
Joe - Owner/Operator of DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building www.dwmsracing.com

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/joe.dwmsracing

Offline ivanhoew

• Hot Shot
« Reply #326 on: February 08, 2011, 12:38:34 am »
WELL DONE JOEY.

thought id put in a bit of encouragement with no negatives .:) .

i love this thread ,really enjoy its individuality .fascinated to see it running .

incidentally i also design cams ,including a record setting 1927 bentley engine, my cam took from 325 bhp to 511 bhp ..
so i understand the  fun issues involved with a cam for a reverse ported head .

i quite understand the 'dont get bogged down in tech stuff and get it running 'approach to the thread ,nice to see some respect that .

thanks for taking the time to provide me with this entertainment to start my day .

regards
robert

just do it .

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #327 on: February 08, 2011, 08:51:54 am »
Brother ivanhoew thank you for the compliment and for the understanding of staying away from the overtechnical parts and enjoying the build itself, I am happy to have you here!

A 1927 bentley engine build sounds really cool please tell us more about it and your record!
Joe - Owner/Operator of DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building www.dwmsracing.com

Offline paulages

• Old Timer
  • 1976 cb735
    • DOOMTOWN RIDERS P.R.M.C.
« Reply #328 on: February 08, 2011, 10:53:17 am »
The same goes for compression, I see people spending a lot of money on decking the heads and running high compression pistons because they do not know that most engines have a ramp on the cam which keeps the intake valve slightly open and only allows the piston to build full compression through one third or less of its compression stroke, reconfiguring the ramp on a stock cam allows the piston to build compression full stroke. Some aftermarket race cams will already have this removed but you can reconfigure a stock cam and make a lot of compression without ever removing the head.

I'm outta here Joey, but here is exactly what you said...  you apparently don't get any of what I was saying, so I'll stay out. Have fun!
paul
SOHC4 member #1050

1974 CB550 (735cc)
1976 CB550 (590cc) road racer
1973 CB750K3
1972 NORTON Commando Combat
1996 KLX650 R

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #329 on: February 08, 2011, 11:02:17 am »
Maybe we could call this soap opera "As the Camshaft Turns"!  ;D
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #330 on: February 08, 2011, 11:34:45 am »
The same goes for compression, I see people spending a lot of money on decking the heads and running high compression pistons because they do not know that most engines have a ramp on the cam which keeps the intake valve slightly open and only allows the piston to build full compression through one third or less of its compression stroke, reconfiguring the ramp on a stock cam allows the piston to build compression full stroke. Some aftermarket race cams will already have this removed but you can reconfigure a stock cam and make a lot of compression without ever removing the head.

I'm outta here Joey, but here is exactly what you said...  you apparently don't get any of what I was saying, so I'll stay out. Have fun!

Brother paulages there is no reason to be offended or stay out of here, I responded to the first post with "I respectfully think you have misunderstood" and the second time with "which is ok" so that you would know that I was not being rude.

I have been trying to tell you from the beginning that we did not need to talk about camshafts as it would lead to confusion.

"As the Camshaft Turns" That is classic Brother FunJimmy! Hahahaha!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 11:59:29 am by joeyputt »

Offline ivanhoew

• Hot Shot
« Reply #331 on: February 08, 2011, 11:35:52 am »
Brother ivanhoew thank you for the compliment and for the understanding of staying away from the overtechnical parts and enjoying the build itself, I am happy to have you here!

A 1927 bentley engine build sounds really cool please tell us more about it and your record!

i'll make it brief so as not to distract from your excellent thread ..

it was a project i was brought into, to build a computer simulation of the engine design ,predict its power ,and then design the inlet and ex etc for best torque and power .
it had 325 bhp and 320 lb ft ,and then i designed a cam for it and a change in rocker ratio ,this was then ground and an exciting time was had on the same rr when it put down 511 bhp and 720 lbs ft of torque .supercharged 8 litre straight 6 .max rpm 4900.
it set a record of 0 to 152mph in the standing kilometre i think it was 21.3 seconds .car weighed 3900 lbs .

hope thats enough lol , lets get back to the reverse flow stonker !!!
just do it .

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #332 on: February 08, 2011, 11:44:21 am »

i'll make it brief so as not to distract from your excellent thread ..

it was a project i was brought into, to build a computer simulation of the engine design ,predict its power ,and then design the inlet and ex etc for best torque and power .
it had 325 bhp and 320 lb ft ,and then i designed a cam for it and a change in rocker ratio ,this was then ground and an exciting time was had on the same rr when it put down 511 bhp and 720 lbs ft of torque .supercharged 8 litre straight 6 .max rpm 4900.
it set a record of 0 to 152mph in the standing kilometre i think it was 21.3 seconds .car weighed 3900 lbs .

hope thats enough lol , lets get back to the reverse flow stonker !!!

Brother ivanhoew that is an outstanding accomplishment and is definately something to be very proud of! Thank you for sharing!

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #333 on: February 09, 2011, 04:19:12 pm »
I want to start shaving my forks but am having a hard time trying to decide on brakes for the front end, what do you think?

I can run the front wheel with no brakes and it would look really clean which I like, but I also like the look of nice brakes.

I also have a nice single disc setup including a 320mm drilled disc with a Tokico six piston caliper, stainless braided line, and a nice resevoir with a billet cap. With a single disc I could have one clean side of the rim that you would still be able to see, the only thing is the rotor is huge and it may make the front end look unbalanced.

Or I could run the same setup above with dual discs which would look balanced but it covers a lot of the rim.

If I run a single or dual disc I want to paint the centers the Burnt Copper color that is on the engine and I can either paint or polish the calipers as well.

These photos show the front rim clean.

Here is the single disc I have or could run a pair of.

I was originally planning on running the front rim totally clean with no brakes but now I am really thinking about dual discs, what do you all think?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:26:51 pm by joeyputt »

Offline MasterChief750

• Detonation
  • Expert
Re: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! I NEED BRAKE DECISION HELP!
« Reply #334 on: February 09, 2011, 04:24:31 pm »
me personally i would run dual disc. but my opinion is les founded in appearance but with my want to stop quickly.
1978 CB750 K - Project Red Headed Step Child
1976 CB750 K - Drag Bike
Some things i know, others i dont.
I AM THE STIG
Sam is THE STIG
he said i can be STIG3 tho

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
« Reply #335 on: February 09, 2011, 04:26:50 pm »
A modern single disk will stop that bike without issue.  I suggest single and 4-pot instead of 6 because it looks a lot better.

I also suggest one of these rotors, because I love how they look and because it's not my money in this case:

You could paint all of the black areas your nice Burnt Copper color and it would look super duper trick.

Are you going to paint the fork stanchions, too?
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #336 on: February 09, 2011, 04:44:12 pm »
Brother masterchief1112 thank you for your advice.

Brother Syscrush that is a nice rotor! On the forks I originally wanted this set because of the gold uppers but now I am really thinking about polishing them, I have a pair of shields that go with the helmets on the engine that I am thinking about engraving into the lowers and then painting them.

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #337 on: February 09, 2011, 05:15:05 pm »
Brother Joey

That wheel looks fantastic, but 70% of your stopping power comes from front brakes.
I have a single 300mm disc with 4 piston caliper and that thing stops plenty fast, so one will do and still give you the clean wheel look you so desire.

Oh, brake on the left so that your clean wheel is visible when the bike is parked.

FJ
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #338 on: February 09, 2011, 05:37:16 pm »
Brother Syscrush that is a nice rotor!
They're pricey, but not outrageous.  A bit over $500 for one, I think.  OK, maybe it is a bit outrageous, but it's cheaper than a pair of OEM rotors for any remotely modern sportbike.
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline Raef

• Expert
« Reply #339 on: February 09, 2011, 06:00:09 pm »
I sold my zx10 because it needed rotors. 1600.00 for a self performed break job  >:(

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #340 on: February 09, 2011, 06:05:23 pm »
Brother FunJimmy the setup that I have is for the left side so that works out if I go with the single disc!

Brother Syscrush I found some on ebay for $873, if I save my pennies for awhile I might be able to afford half of one! Hahahaha!

Brother raef I am amazed daily by the prices of bike parts as they keep going up, my dealer cost now is what retail was a few years ago!

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #341 on: February 09, 2011, 06:19:10 pm »
Brother Syscrush I found some on ebay for $873, if I save my pennies for awhile I might be able to afford half of one! Hahahaha!
But you only need 1.  There's a seller on there with singles for $400.  GO FOR IT!

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #342 on: February 09, 2011, 06:48:00 pm »
But you only need 1.  There's a seller on there with singles for $400.  GO FOR IT!

The ones I looked at for $873 were singles! Hahahaha! That would be one of those things I would have to upgrade way down the road...like when there was a used one on there for $49. Hahahaha! I am not a monetarily wealthy man!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 06:54:59 pm by joeyputt »

Offline lordmember1969

• Hot Shot
« Reply #343 on: February 09, 2011, 09:23:33 pm »
Brother Joey

That wheel looks fantastic, but 70% of your stopping power comes from front brakes.
I have a single 300mm disc with 4 piston caliper and that thing stops plenty fast, so one will do and still give you the clean wheel look you so desire.

Oh, brake on the left so that your clean wheel is visible when the bike is parked.

FJ

+1 :)
1977 CB 750 SS Cafe
1977 CB 750 Basket case
1971 Mustang Grande
1928 Model A Pheathon Hot Rod
1977 Harley Custom FXE

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=70333.0

Offline ivanhoew

• Hot Shot
« Reply #344 on: February 09, 2011, 11:09:34 pm »
think id go for the big single too joey ,should some sexy bit of kit come up at a future date ,its no big hassle to change it then ...also ,the big disc will go well with the turbocharger thats waiting for you down at the breakers  :o   ;)

regards
robert
just do it .

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #345 on: February 10, 2011, 05:19:40 am »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:23:12 am by Zaipai »
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #346 on: February 10, 2011, 06:56:22 am »

...also ,the big disc will go well with the turbocharger thats waiting for you down at the breakers  :o   ;)

regards
robert

turbocharger waiting at the breaker? I do not understand?

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 07:00:54 am by joeyputt »

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #347 on: February 10, 2011, 06:58:44 am »
Looks like some one else had the same idea.. Its a motoguzzi, but it still counts..  ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moto-Guzzi-Custom-Bobber-Chopper-Moto-Guzzi-Custom-Bobber-Chopper-Street-rod-Ferrari-750-/280626566911?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item4156a596ff#v4-36

.: Scott :.

Brother that is a cool looking bike, I wonder why he said he has over $70,000 in it and it does not run though?

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #348 on: February 10, 2011, 07:42:14 am »
Here is the deal..

No brake makes you look like a dumbass, everyone can use brakes, if they ride the bike..

Dual big rotors come stock on a lot of bikes, but are they necessary?? or in a lot of cases, marketing ploy? Think about how you will ride.. I doubt , you will get a single big rotor, to fade or overheat..

Customs often have the stripped down lighter look, without sacrificing function.
 If you run it on the left, try to run your brakeline down through the steering stem, looks a lot cleaner..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #349 on: February 10, 2011, 07:51:09 am »
me personally i would run dual disc. but my opinion is les founded in appearance but with my want to stop quickly.
Dual discs don't really give you more stopping power, but rather more fade resistance.  If you're not going to be on the track (or if the bike weighs less than 400 lbs), then a single disc will generally manage just fine.