Author Topic: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW ENGINE COLORS AND PHOTOS!  (Read 113053 times)

Offline q2418130103p

• Hot Shot
Re: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! PRO STREET HARDTAIL!
« Reply #475 on: March 13, 2011, 12:26:51 am »
How long before you have some kind of seat mock-up?  If it is going to be awhile then you gotta post some kinda of concept art, the anticipation is killing me.

Check out my CB550 project thread:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=83097

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
  • The green flag sets me free
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #476 on: March 13, 2011, 09:28:07 pm »
Hey Joey,
 I have to say, the way this is shaping up its going to be in a lot of magazines both online and print.. Its sooo cool.

.: Scott :.

Brother Zaipai I know that you have been supporting this build from the beginning and I really appreciate it, Thanks man!

JOey, make sure you run a tail pipe brother or roasted nuts will be the order of the day.... ;D  J/k
Very nice work bud.... ;)

Things could get warm Brother Retro Rocket! Hahahaha! I am going to run a full exhaust under the seat out to the end of the race tail but I want to get the seat built and on the bike before I finish building the exhaust.

wow, this is going to be an amazing bike. Thats all I can think to say right now. Cant wait to see the completion.

Brother hondaface75 thank you for the compliment! I can not wait to see her completed either but to be honest I am enjoying the build itself also!

How long before you have some kind of seat mock-up?  If it is going to be awhile then you gotta post some kinda of concept art, the anticipation is killing me.

I am going to start building the seat soon Brother q2418130103p and I will post photos! The shape is going to be similar to a single seat cafe style race tail.

Joe - Owner/Operator of DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building www.dwmsracing.com

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/joe.dwmsracing

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #477 on: March 18, 2011, 10:20:25 pm »
I decided to change the axle mounting area of the rear frame section so I cut a couple inches off of it and started boxing it in, I think it is going to look a lot cleaner and more streamlined this way. I also painted the center of the rear brake rotor while I had the rim off to do the framework.

I still need to do some more welding and smoothing but here are a couple photos.

Joe - Owner/Operator of DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building www.dwmsracing.com

Offline hondaface75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #478 on: March 19, 2011, 04:28:51 am »
looks excellent. are the adjusters on the inside?

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #479 on: March 19, 2011, 08:07:29 am »
Awesome Joey.. That was a good call on your part.. Looks much cleaner.

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #480 on: March 19, 2011, 08:47:16 am »
looks excellent. are the adjusters on the inside?

Brother hondaface75 the rear axle is stationary, the right hand side of the rear frame section is threaded and totally boxed except for the hole on the inside for the axle to thread into and on the left side it is also boxed in except I am putting a plug on that side for axle installation and removal. I am building a chain tensioner that will be behind the engine under the bottom of the chain.

Awesome Joey.. That was a good call on your part.. Looks much cleaner.

Thank you Brother Zaipai I really thought it looked a lot cleaner this way!

Offline MasterChief750

• Detonation
  • Expert
« Reply #481 on: March 19, 2011, 06:00:11 pm »
brother joey this thing is really shaping into a superb bike, you make me want to build a reverse port 750..... hmm i do have a spare motor sitting around ::)
1978 CB750 K - Project Red Headed Step Child
1976 CB750 K - Drag Bike
Some things i know, others i dont.
I AM THE STIG
Sam is THE STIG
he said i can be STIG3 tho

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #482 on: March 19, 2011, 07:14:42 pm »
brother joey this thing is really shaping into a superb bike, you make me want to build a reverse port 750..... hmm i do have a spare motor sitting around ::)

Brother masterchief1112 thank you for the compliment! A 750 reverse port would be cool too!

Today I built the right side plate out of quarter inch steel to add strength to the rear frame section, I am also using this plate to mount my footpeg and brake master cylinder on. I am going to build a matching plate for the left hand side but it will only have a footpeg on it.

Here are a few photos, the plate I added today is behind the kickstarter and below the rear frame section. The silver circle on the plate is where my footpeg will be mounted.

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
« Reply #483 on: March 20, 2011, 05:57:44 am »
I feel a lot better about that mounting now.  Nice work.
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #484 on: March 20, 2011, 09:38:04 am »
I feel a lot better about that mounting now.  Nice work.

Thank you Brother Syscrush I am happy that you like it! I am going to build a couple more plates as well, one for the front of the frame and another smaller one at the rear of the front frame section above the header.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #485 on: March 20, 2011, 09:42:11 am »
Looks great! Have you decided on a frame color?
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #486 on: March 20, 2011, 09:55:07 am »
Brother Stev-o that has been one of my hardest decisions for awhile! When I originally started building this bike I said that I would be happy with anything but black, I really wanted a color on the frame but with the titanium silver blue that I used on the engine it is hard for me to come up with a nice color scheme for the bike overall...unless I use another blue which I do not want to do, nothing against blue I have just painted so many bikes and cars blue and most of the years I drove this engine the bike was blue so I want something different...or I could change the engine color...?

I am really thinking about painting the frame black and then use the burnt copper to add some type of design or accents on the frame, maybe some hot rod style pinstriping or a floral pattern like what is on my family crest/coat of arms.

I do not know man, what do you think?

I would really like a nice deep burgundy wine color or a nice deep green, and I could still use the copper accents on the frame with both of them but I would have to change the titanium silver blue on the engine to something that would match a little better.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 10:07:52 am by joeyputt »

Offline nvr2old

• Hot Shot
« Reply #487 on: March 20, 2011, 01:46:36 pm »
I think if the frame were the same champagne color as the forks, it would tie in nicely and contrast with every other color you have on the bike really well.
'76 CB550F-'72 XL250-'82 MB5-'82 CX500 Turbo-'77 naked Goldwing-'75 CB400F cafe'-'79 Suzuki GS1000S..hey, it's a Wes Cooley..

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #488 on: March 20, 2011, 04:09:05 pm »
I think if the frame were the same champagne color as the forks, it would tie in nicely and contrast with every other color you have on the bike really well.

Brother nvr2old I really like that idea!

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #489 on: March 22, 2011, 04:03:19 pm »
I have known from the beginning of this build the style of tail section that I was going to build but I have been having difficulty designing a bottom line that flowed with the bike and left enough room for the exhaust. Dad came by last night and we came up with a nice line that I really like!

This will be the centerline for the tail section, I still need to build the outsides. I am going to recess the bottom of the tailsection so that the frame tubing fits up underneath of it and can not be seen so when looking at this photo the bottom of the tube will be the bottom of the tail.

I am also going to follow this line for the exhaust and I am no longer going to use the exhaust can that I shortened for this bike, I am now going to build a dual exhaust system that will exit underneath the rear of the tail section.

Here is a photo, the flat coming off of the rear of the tank will be a single seat and the angle at the rear will be a race tail.

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #490 on: March 22, 2011, 04:52:09 pm »
I'd like that tank for my stocker, it's nice!

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #491 on: March 22, 2011, 07:53:36 pm »
I'd like that tank for my stocker, it's nice!

Brother Greggo that is the tank off of my Dads 550, my Brother custom mixed the color and I painted it years ago. I am going to run the same stock tank on this build and am trying to find one in nice condition now.

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #492 on: March 23, 2011, 08:20:37 am »
I got all of the materials to build the tail section and the exhaust this morning, I am going to work on both of them and will add photos soon.

Offline ivanhoew

• Hot Shot
« Reply #493 on: March 23, 2011, 02:12:13 pm »
mmmmm ,,anticipation is rife .
just do it .

Offline hondaface75

• Hot Shot
« Reply #494 on: March 23, 2011, 06:22:43 pm »
AHHH and I was hoping to see some pics when I got home!

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #495 on: March 24, 2011, 07:53:25 pm »
Brothers I started building the seat yesterday morning and I am still shaping the pieces...all fifteen of them! I will post photos as soon as I get a little more done.

Offline MorePDX

• the project, '77 750K
« Reply #496 on: March 24, 2011, 09:08:24 pm »
I love the creative and playful way you go about your project, Brother Joey.  It's a real pleasure to watch this bike change and progress.  Keep it up.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  -my dad

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #497 on: March 24, 2011, 09:19:38 pm »
I love the creative and playful way you go about your project, Brother Joey.  It's a real pleasure to watch this bike change and progress.  Keep it up.

Thank you Brother mudhustler, I am really enjoying this build and I am happy that you like it!

Offline thrutheframe

• Expert
  • did you bleed when you built that?
« Reply #498 on: March 25, 2011, 05:30:36 am »
   uhhhhhh... stupid question maybe.  I have never seen the reverse port done before.  How is it done and why dont more people do this?

I am truly inspired.  I cant wait to see what this looks like when its road ready.

SG
'74 cb 750 K4
'79 CB 650 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=83981.0
'75 CB 360T
'90 RC31 Hawk GT

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Stop Global Tilting now!
    • Moto Northwest
« Reply #499 on: March 25, 2011, 08:34:35 am »
   uhhhhhh... stupid question maybe.  I have never seen the reverse port done before.  How is it done and why dont more people do this?

I am truly inspired.  I cant wait to see what this looks like when its road ready.

SG

Mostly because it requires fuel and air deliver to be at the front of the bike, which moves the engine back (at least in modern designs, or bikes with forward canted jugs, like the 750), which moves weight backwards. And as I mentioned before, though no one is apparently interested, putting the intakes forward with carbs can cause some fuel-air delivery issues unless rectified with pressurization. Lots of people have done it, though.
No.