Author Topic: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW ENGINE COLORS AND PHOTOS!  (Read 113054 times)

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
  • The green flag sets me free
    • www.dwmsracing.com
Re: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! PRO STREET HARDTAIL!
« Reply #500 on: March 25, 2011, 08:46:52 am »
  uhhhhhh... stupid question maybe.  I have never seen the reverse port done before.  How is it done and why dont more people do this?

I am truly inspired.  I cant wait to see what this looks like when its road ready.

SG

Mostly because it requires fuel and air deliver to be at the front of the bike, which moves the engine back (at least in modern designs, or bikes with forward canted jugs, like the 750), which moves weight backwards. And as I mentioned before, though no one is apparently interested, putting the intakes forward with carbs can cause some fuel-air delivery issues unless rectified with pressurization. Lots of people have done it, though.

Brother thrutheframe thank you for the compliment, the reverse port I am doing is accomplished through changes to the valvetrain to make the original exhaust port become the intake port and the original exhaust port become the intake port, I had to build the intake manifolds and the header as they are not available but I am really enjoying building all of the parts!

Brother mlinder I am sure that plenty of members as well as myself are interested in what you have to say, I just personally know of a lot of engines that have run forward facing carburetors or air intakes with no problems or need of fuel pressurization, but we all do value what you have to say about your experiences and I am sure that under certain circumstances and with different designs it could possibly be needed.

I am unsure why you stated earlier that a forward facing carbureted engine would not run over forty miles per hour though as a lot of motorcycles, custom Harleys, etc., run forward facing carburetors without pressurization.

As for a lot of people doing it, I have personally never seen a true reverse port motorcycle engine built before, I have seen others turn the head around on a motorcycle and I have seen photos of V8 and kart racing engines reverse ported but never a motorcycle.

I may post some photos of the tail section this evening.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 09:09:05 am by joeyputt »
Joe - Owner/Operator of DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building www.dwmsracing.com

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/joe.dwmsracing

Offline MasterChief750

• Detonation
  • Expert
« Reply #501 on: March 25, 2011, 09:10:19 am »
Brother joey. Do it you wont. ( the pics that is)
1978 CB750 K - Project Red Headed Step Child
1976 CB750 K - Drag Bike
Some things i know, others i dont.
I AM THE STIG
Sam is THE STIG
he said i can be STIG3 tho

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #502 on: March 25, 2011, 09:25:16 am »
Brother joey. Do it you wont. ( the pics that is)

Hahahaha! Brother masterchief you do not think I will post the photos? I know I have not said a lot about the seat but it is only because of the material I am using to build it, it is different from what is commonly used and I would have had a hard time trying to explain it so I thought it would be best to at least get it built partially and let the photos show the work. I have been working on it for the past two days and have taken a lot of photos I will post them for you this evening man!
Joe - Owner/Operator of DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building www.dwmsracing.com

Offline Toxic

• Expert
« Reply #503 on: March 25, 2011, 09:48:49 am »
Everyday I eargerly check this thread to see what is going on, just brillant.

Your talent is truly amazing from painting to farbricating up components.

Can't wait to see more.

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #504 on: March 25, 2011, 09:55:51 am »
Everyday I eargerly check this thread to see what is going on, just brillant.

Your talent is truly amazing from painting to farbricating up components.

Can't wait to see more.

Thank you Brother Toxic, I am happy that you are enjoying this build and it was very kind of you to say so.

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #505 on: March 25, 2011, 04:45:08 pm »
I was not going to show the tail section until I had it totally done but I have been working on it for the last three days and wanted to share it with you all!

I still have a lot of work to do but I got the tail section into its basic shape, you all probably know by now that I like to be different and everyone has a fiberglass, aluminum, or metal tail section so I thought that I would build mine out of wood and then carve and woodburn the whole thing!

I really like the look of the old antique laminated wood gun stocks so I decided to build the tail section out of fifteen pieces and put them all togethor to get that look. I will let the photos show the work instead of writing a long post.

Here is a photo of the 1x6x6 wood I bought to build the seat.

I drew and cut out this first basic shape.

I traced the shape to make the other fourteen pieces.

Here are all fifteen pieces sitting togethor.

I used an adhesive to put all of the pieces togethor, after the adhesive dried enough to handle the tail section I traced the bottom outline that we drew onto the wood.

I let the adhesive dry over night and then I cut the basic shape out of the wood.
This is the bottom.

And this is the top.

Next I started to carve the top and sides of the tail section.

I filed and sanded more on the tail section and then started to shape the front of the seat to fit under the gas tank, I also started to smooth the seat section.

I still have a lot of shaping that I want to do and I am going to carve and woodburn the whole tail section, I am also thinking about cutting channels into each side of it as well. I am not sure what all I am going to carve into it but it will definately be getting the family race number 7. After I finish carving and woodburning it I am going to stain and clear it.

This photo shows how clean the bottom of the tail section is, I cut a channel in the bottom of the tail section that the frame sits in so that it is hidden.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 06:03:28 am by joeyputt »

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #506 on: March 25, 2011, 04:51:28 pm »
Awesome work Joey...... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
Re: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! TAIL SECTION PREVIEW!
« Reply #507 on: March 25, 2011, 05:52:56 pm »
Cool, it will be like an old chris craft boat

Offline ivanhoew

• Hot Shot
« Reply #508 on: March 26, 2011, 12:17:41 am »
brilliant.
just do it .

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #509 on: March 26, 2011, 02:12:27 am »
Ok you HAVE to do a brown paint job now :)
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline unitedguitar

• Enthusiast
« Reply #510 on: March 26, 2011, 04:51:58 am »
You could fab up a gas tank out of metal that would fit inside a casing made of wood with similar style to the seat.
Ben Whitener

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #511 on: March 26, 2011, 06:16:26 am »
Incredibly creative!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
« Reply #512 on: March 26, 2011, 02:16:10 pm »
That's great, BroJo.

You might want to do a bit more than varnish it.  Look at how cedar strip canoes are finished - a clear marine epoxy resin might be a good idea to come up with a very durable part.
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline MasterChief750

• Detonation
  • Expert
« Reply #513 on: March 26, 2011, 05:39:47 pm »
thats amazing it looks like an old barrelback wooden boat
1978 CB750 K - Project Red Headed Step Child
1976 CB750 K - Drag Bike
Some things i know, others i dont.
I AM THE STIG
Sam is THE STIG
he said i can be STIG3 tho

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #514 on: March 26, 2011, 08:13:43 pm »
Thank you all for the compliments!

That is a great idea Brother Syscrush, thank you!

Brother ffjmoore what were you sad about? I do not see a photo if there was one.

Offline Flying J

• Old Timer
« Reply #515 on: March 26, 2011, 08:36:35 pm »
so sad when i saw this, yours is much nicer.

Offline Reindeer

« Reply #516 on: March 27, 2011, 07:56:46 am »
Somehow I just now discovered this build. Amazing work!
75 CB750 hardtail bobber
78 CB750 project...might run someday

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #517 on: March 28, 2011, 07:10:11 am »
Brother ffjmoore it takes me a while to load video but I see the front of a wood seat on that bike, no reason to be sad though.

Brother Reindeer thank you for the compliment!

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #518 on: March 28, 2011, 07:58:10 am »
Is that wood kiln-dried?  You might want to subject it to some kind of drying process before finishing it otherwise you're running a significant risk of cracking/warping with temperature & weather fluctuations.  If you started with kiln-dried wood and you give it a good secondary dry before finishing it with a good epoxy resin, you are probably in the clear.

BTW - the norm with cedar strip canoes and some other wooden boats is to apply not just resin but some actual fiberglass twill or cloth over the wood.  If you get all of the bubbles out and if you build up enough resin, level it out, and apply a good clearcoat, the cloth should become invisible.  This may or may not be a good idea for your application.

Bit of info/discussion here.
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #519 on: March 28, 2011, 08:14:51 am »
Brother Syscrush I believe it is dried, cracking was also one of the reasons that I decided to build the tail section out of several pieces of wood instead of one large piece.

I like your ideas, thank you for the information.

Offline Bakeoff

• Hot Shot
« Reply #520 on: March 28, 2011, 08:26:45 am »
The bottom of the seat seems really bulky to me.  Well, the whole tail seems bulky, I guess.

I think if you took an inch off the bottom, it would line up with the bottom of the tank better and give a cleaner look. 

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #521 on: March 28, 2011, 08:30:57 am »
Brother Syscrush I believe it is dried, cracking was also one of the reasons that I decided to build the tail section out of several pieces of wood instead of one large piece.
That's a good practice, but if you didn't start with kiln-dried pieces, then you're almost certainly going to end up with cracks.

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #522 on: March 28, 2011, 09:18:55 am »
Brother Bakeoff the bottom of the seat does look thick in the photos however it is actually only 2 1/8", I built it this thick so that I had room to cut channels in the bottom of it for the frame to sit it, as the photos show the frame can not be seen. I am not sure what you mean about the tank line though as the bottom of the tank and the bottom of the seat line up.

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #523 on: March 28, 2011, 09:40:06 am »
This bike is looking rad! I'm going to have to show my dad your seat. He builds long bows, and is always interested in unique woodworking. You seem to be a man of many skills. Can you juggle?

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #524 on: March 28, 2011, 09:41:17 am »
Where will you mount the battery and electronics?