Author Topic: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW ENGINE COLORS AND PHOTOS!  (Read 113082 times)

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
  • The green flag sets me free
    • www.dwmsracing.com
Re: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! TAIL SECTION PREVIEW!
« Reply #525 on: March 28, 2011, 09:50:43 am »
Brother Radam thank you for the compliment man, it is funny that you asked if I could juggle...one of my other Brothers was asking me if there was anything I could not do, I should have said juggle! Hahahaha!

Brother Greggo I am going to build a polished aluminum box to mount in the bottom of the frame behind the engine to put the battery and all of the electronics in.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 06:48:34 pm by joeyputt »
Joe - Owner/Operator of DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building www.dwmsracing.com

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/joe.dwmsracing

Offline jwk1414

« Reply #526 on: March 28, 2011, 03:12:27 pm »
Wow. After sitting through and reading all 22 pages of this thread in one go, I didn't think there would be any room to be surprised.

Then you went and made your seat out of wood.

Fantastic. 

I share the concern that it won't hold up over time to the elements without some pretty dedicated treatment beforehand- but seeing the quality of all your work assures me that you haven't taken any shortcuts.  Keep up the great work.

Offline MasterChief750

• Detonation
  • Expert
« Reply #527 on: March 28, 2011, 06:36:16 pm »
you live in alabama the humidity will help with keeping the seat looking good. i know if my dads wooden boat sits for a year the seams start to open because it hasnt been in the water in a while, a day or two sittin in the water and she closes up. just a thought
1978 CB750 K - Project Red Headed Step Child
1976 CB750 K - Drag Bike
Some things i know, others i dont.
I AM THE STIG
Sam is THE STIG
he said i can be STIG3 tho

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #528 on: March 28, 2011, 07:44:32 pm »
Brother jwk1414 thank you for taking the time to read through this thread, that really means a lot to me.

Brother masterchief1112 if a little humidity is all I need I am good to go! I live close to the Alabama/Florida line and there is a lot of humidity here!

To answer Brother Syscrush I spoke with one of my local Brothers here who worked at the sawmill and the wood that I used for the seat is kiln dried.
Joe - Owner/Operator of DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building www.dwmsracing.com

Offline unitedguitar

• Enthusiast
« Reply #529 on: March 28, 2011, 08:33:32 pm »
From what I know about wood working as long as your glue joints are nice and strong and you have it sealed up properly you shouldn't have any problems. I have a guitar with a body made from several pieces of swamp ash glued together. It has been shot with probably twelve or more coats of clear and I haven't seen any signs of warping or cracking on it in the many years that I have owned it.
Ben Whitener

Offline jwk1414

« Reply #530 on: March 29, 2011, 01:18:00 am »

To answer Brother Syscrush I spoke with one of my local Brothers here who worked at the sawmill and the wood that I used for the seat is kiln dried.

great news. can't wait to see this thing finished.  I don't think I would (could) ever attempt a reverse port, but watching you work has inspired me to learn more.  Keep it up.

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #531 on: March 29, 2011, 10:27:03 am »
I had some decals made for the shop if anyone would like to have one, I have some with black DWMS lettering and red racing lettering and I also have some that have blue DWMS lettering with red racing lettering.

Offline unitedguitar

• Enthusiast
« Reply #532 on: March 29, 2011, 03:20:59 pm »
I would totally rock one of those on my truck.
Ben Whitener

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #533 on: March 29, 2011, 05:18:09 pm »
I would totally rock one of those on my truck.

If you want to private message me your address I will mail you one Brother!

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #534 on: March 31, 2011, 04:45:04 pm »
I built a really nice dual exhaust system that exited on the back of each side of the tail section however after I built it I thought that it looked cluttered and I really want to keep this bike as clean looking as possible so today I shortened the can that I had originally started with another inch and a half and mounted it right off of the end of the header with a upward angle that matches the rear of the tail section.

What do you all think? I am having a hard time deciding which way I want to build the rest of the exhaust.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 05:47:43 pm by joeyputt »

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #535 on: March 31, 2011, 05:24:02 pm »
Here is another photo.

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
Re: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW PHOTOS!
« Reply #536 on: March 31, 2011, 06:22:29 pm »
IMO it looks a bit incomplete, but I hesitate to say so because I don't have a positive suggestion about what to do.
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline Raef

• Expert
« Reply #537 on: March 31, 2011, 06:29:30 pm »
cut a 1/2 radius tunnel  out of the rear section of the seat and have the flange extend just beyond the tail end of the seat.

you don't need more than an inch or so of clearance since its ridged

Offline RustyOlive

• rustyolive.com
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #538 on: March 31, 2011, 06:33:33 pm »
HAHAHA.. I just realized I'm following your build on this site and DTT... I like it that much! ;-)

Untitled by cameron.bateman, on FlickrRustyOlive, on Flickr

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #539 on: April 01, 2011, 06:32:02 am »
Brother Syscrush it has really been a challenge for me to find a way to finish the exhaust with the look that I want.

Brother raef I had originally planned to run the exhaust under the tail and I like your idea to radius the bottom however I can not as I have the seats framework in the bottom of the tail section.

Brother RustyOlive I am happy that you like it and there are several good people who are members here that are also members at DTT.

Offline JustinLonghorn

« Reply #540 on: April 01, 2011, 07:49:29 am »
There are indeed, Joey.

"So you had better do as you are told
You better listen to the radio"

My Super Sport Build

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #541 on: April 01, 2011, 08:30:33 am »
There are indeed, Joey.

Brother Justin it is good to see you over here! I did not know you were in Frederick, I am from up that way!

Offline Raef

• Expert
« Reply #542 on: April 01, 2011, 09:19:35 am »
Brother Syscrush it has really been a challenge for me to find a way to finish the exhaust with the look that I want.

Brother raef I had originally planned to run the exhaust under the tail and I like your idea to radius the bottom however I can not as I have the seats framework in the bottom of the tail section.

Brother RustyOlive I am happy that you like it and there are several good people who are members here that are also members at DTT.
Damn the great physics problems of the world :)

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #543 on: April 01, 2011, 09:26:31 am »
Seriously! Hahahaha! I can work around the framing and I actually built a dual exhaust to go under ther rear of the tail section but after looking at it I really do not like the looks of anything between the tail and the tire.

Offline Raef

• Expert
« Reply #544 on: April 01, 2011, 09:36:53 am »
I would not want to leave the exit under the seat, don't rule out a scrambler style (high down one side) exhaust. That may give you a chance to have 2 different looks

Mark

Offline hapakev

• Your Standard
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #545 on: April 01, 2011, 01:29:25 pm »
What about angling the cans down, thru the rear swingarm/frame, maybe flare them out a little?
Smoking Jack
1978 CB750F(ish)

"Keep moving forward, until you can no longer move" KP

Offline Tim2005

• Expert
« Reply #546 on: April 01, 2011, 02:38:20 pm »
It may be too early to decide on the exhausts- things will become clearer as the colour-scheme for the frame & the rest of the bike is done. However, do you need to have much silencing... I'm thinking that one look that may work would be to have 4 pipes (maybe with small baffles inside) coming straight back from the cyl head separately & parallel, then each left and right pair having a single bend outwards and upwards, under the seat part of the seat unit, then swiftly exiting as a pair of pipes either side, like how the pipes exit on a top fuel dragster. It's not easy to describe this kinda thing, is it? Can somebody mock up some in photoshop?!

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #547 on: April 02, 2011, 05:48:00 pm »
Thank you all for the honest opinions and ideas, I am going to work on the seat while I decide on the exhaust, I will post some new photos soon.   
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 06:03:55 pm by joeyputt »

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #548 on: April 05, 2011, 04:41:05 pm »
I started woodburning the tail section.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #549 on: April 05, 2011, 04:47:58 pm »
Love the wood burning Joey, i have a friend that does full portraits using that method and they are outstanding.
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.