Author Topic: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW ENGINE COLORS AND PHOTOS!  (Read 113128 times)

Offline Oddjob

• Hot Shot
Re: DWMS RACING CB550F SUPER REVERSE PORT! NEW PHOTOS!
« Reply #600 on: April 14, 2011, 05:56:40 pm »
Well, reading this thread from start to finish took me AGES. However I found it extremely interesting and very informative.
I am deeply impressed by Joeys attitude, it's not easy to sit there and take some of the views expressed and not get even a little annoyed, however he has conducted himself like a gentleman and I mean that most sincerely. His attitude only seems to be matched by his skills which are outstanding, I've been a motorcycle mechanic for over 30 years now and I thought I'd seen most things but he has surprised me a LOT. Not only does his expertise extend to engineering but woodworking as well  ;D like myself he seems to be able to do a lot of things with his hands but more importantly with his head first (BTW I can't skate to save my life but I can juggle a little)
Love the engine colours, not overkeen on the bike pedal for the kickstarter but it is unique. I'm not sure on the look of the bike if I'm honest, in the UK we don't seem to do that look, I know it's very popular in the US but then our roads are much different so maybe it's a geographical thing, I'm talking about the lowrider look BTW not the work or skill that's gone into it.
I must say I'm 100% certain the bike will run, whether it will run perfectly first time I doubt but I'm also certain that Joey will fix that.

Can I express my thanks for the tips on polishing, as I'm trying my hand at polishing some of my CB1300 engine casings at the moment I found them extremely useful. I'd bought a second hand casing to practice on, one which had slid down the road a bit, I sanded out the gouges but I made the mistake of circling the sandpaper, I'll correct that error now I know the right way. Can I ask if you remove the lacquer first or just sand it off, I was thinking of using paint stripper to get rid of it, at the moment I've just polished it off, I'm using a 370w bench grinder with 4 buffing wheels on, 2 on each end. One is a finishing wheel and one a buffing wheel, I'm getting pretty good results right now but I can get it better I think, any further tips would be appreciated.

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
  • The green flag sets me free
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #601 on: April 15, 2011, 10:39:20 am »
Brother Oddjob all of the projects that are being built here on sohc4 are very nice, thank you for taking the time to read through mine and for your kind words and compliments!

I really try to be understanding and respectfully view everyones experiences, ideas, and opinions. When I started this thread I expected to have some members question what I was doing with this build as it is so different however everyone has been very supportive. There truly is a great community of Brothers and Sisters here that all share the same love affair with the SOHC Honda Motorcycle.

I usually sand the clear off of covers, buffing wheels work great for polishing but for a show quality finish I prefer to hand wet sand and hand polish the parts.
Joe - Owner/Operator of DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building www.dwmsracing.com

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/joe.dwmsracing

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #602 on: April 17, 2011, 06:58:32 pm »
I have not had a lot of time to work on the bike the last few days but I did finish closing in both sides of the rear frame section around the axle.

I totally enclosed both sides so that the axle can not be seen for a really clean look. The axle is installed or removed through a round opening in the left hand side which will be covered by a cap, the axles bolt head is inside of the enclosed section. The right hand side is totally enclosed except for the hole on the back that the axle threads into.

Joe - Owner/Operator of DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building www.dwmsracing.com

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #603 on: April 18, 2011, 12:36:43 am »
Joey, I'm not calling you a liar or anything, but I think your pants are gonna be on fire after this bike is done  ;D
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #604 on: April 18, 2011, 09:04:08 am »
  Looking good.

Are you going to call it Straight Shot?? as in air has a straight shot through the motor!! and the way it can launch
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
« Reply #605 on: April 18, 2011, 09:24:35 am »
Are you going to call it Straight Shot?? as in air has a straight shot through the motor!! and the way it can launch
Does a hardtail help or hurt hard launches?
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #606 on: April 18, 2011, 09:44:59 am »
 Longer rigid rear on a bike.. rarely fishtails. goes very straight..easily ..

my 836 lowered with strutted 6 over arm.. straight every time..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #607 on: April 18, 2011, 09:57:47 am »
I doubt there would be much to worry about with a 550 engine anyway.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #608 on: April 18, 2011, 11:42:43 am »
  Looking good.

Straight Shot! I like that Brother 754! I do love the way the bike looks from the side...like air just flows straight through the engine, and she does look ready to launch! Hahahaha! I was thinking about putting something like 550SRP (Super Reverse Port) on the bike or maybe 544SRP as that is what the engine actually is...unless I decide to go larger and the number changes but now I am going to have to change it to incorporate Straight Shot! Hahahaha!

Brother Syscrush most all dragbikes you see will be hardtails with added length, even those that run swingarms run solid struts in the shock mounting positions. Hartail bikes with extra length launch beautifully!

Brother FunJimmy are you calling my engine weak?! Hahahaha! I am just playing man, I am building the engine on the mild side for reliability so there probably will not be too much to worry about but I am already wanting to build it a little stronger...this started out as a simple stock restoration with a pretty engine and maybe a cafe tail and now look where I am!

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #609 on: April 18, 2011, 03:09:58 pm »
Brother FunJimmy are you calling my engine weak?! Hahahaha! I am just playing man, I am building the engine on the mild side for reliability so there probably will not be too much to worry about but I am already wanting to build it a little stronger...this started out as a simple stock restoration with a pretty engine and maybe a cafe tail and now look where I am!

Definitely not Brother Joey! I was just out on my 550 yesterday and know that there isn’t a ton of torque on tap in these little mills, and I don’t have an extended swingarm either.  ;D
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #610 on: April 18, 2011, 03:42:16 pm »
I know you did not mean anything by that Brother FunJimmy! I was just joking with you, that is why I put the laugh at the end! The 550 is my favorite engine, they have just the right amount of power for a fun ride, they have that beautiful classic look, the definition of reliable should show a photo of one, and man do they sound sweet! What more could anyone want!

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #611 on: April 19, 2011, 08:23:09 pm »
Does anyone know what a stock CB550 weighs? I weighed my reverse port bke today and it is only at 250 pounds and I am not adding much more to the bike so it will weigh less than 300 pounds when it is completed.

Offline jneuf

• Hot Shot
« Reply #612 on: April 19, 2011, 08:31:15 pm »
Does anyone know what a stock CB550 weighs? I weighed my reverse port bke today and it is only at 250 pounds and I am not adding much more to the bike so it will weigh less than 300 pounds when it is completed.

WOW! That's light! Off the top of my head, I want to say weight is about 450 lbs..?
'75 CB400f

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #613 on: April 19, 2011, 08:46:07 pm »
Brother jneuf another friend of mine just told me around the same weight, I can not figure out how I saved that much weight!

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #614 on: April 19, 2011, 08:49:15 pm »
That is extremely impressive Joey.  Hard to believe how much some of that stock garbage weighs isn't it?

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #615 on: April 19, 2011, 09:16:10 pm »
Brother Kanticoy! I have not seen you on in a while, where have you been! Are you still working on the 400?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 09:22:18 pm by joeyputt »

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #616 on: April 19, 2011, 09:16:25 pm »
Yes sir.  Slow going man, the motor build cost a lot of money, but I figure that if I build it, and build it right, then the rest of it will be breezy.  I've been watching ya man!  Love what you're doing here brother.

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #617 on: April 20, 2011, 04:57:41 am »
Brother jneuf another friend of mine just told me around the same weight, I can not figure out how I saved that much weight!
Broken scale? ;)
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline TMHackCB500

• Just a Hack
« Reply #618 on: April 20, 2011, 06:23:32 am »
Loving the build so far, just read through it yesterday... builds like this inspire me to get out and work on my stuff more often.  Def gonna be adapting your breather can method to work on my Seca, great ideas here!

As far as the weight reduction goes I could see a total weight of 150-200 less, I bet those wheels are much lighter than the stockers, the lack of rear suspension and change in front suspension probably help a lot too!  Great work!
1982 Yamaha XJ550 Seca, 1977 Kawasaki KE250, 1972 CB500 Four(the newest project and my reason for being here!)

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #619 on: April 20, 2011, 07:51:56 am »
Brother Syscrush you would think my scale was broke! Hahahaha! I had hoped that I saved some weight but I never would have thought that she would be this light! My scales are post office accurate, I will weigh some of the parts today and will post their weights. I know that my frame is 40 pounds but I am not sure what a stock frame weighs.

Brother TMHackCB500 thank you for you compliments and support, they mean a lot to me! I build and sell the breather systems, but if you would like to build your own that is cool. If you need any of the parts to build yours let me know, I am currently out of the aluminum cans but will be ordering more soon. We took the bike apart yesterday so that I can finish building the internal engine parts and the other intake manifold and I have some more welding and smoothing that I want to do to the frame. Here is a new photo.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:00:02 am by joeyputt »

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #620 on: April 20, 2011, 08:02:39 am »
It'll be interesting to see where you end up weight-wise once you've added:

1) Battery, wiring, and lights.
2) 2nd carb, manifold, and fuel plumbing.
3) Brake calipers, pads, plumbing, and master cylinders.
4) Clip-ons or bars and controls.
5) Chain.

I don't know what (if anything) I'm forgetting there, but I could see that stuff above adding 50-100 lbs depending on the route you take with each.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #621 on: April 20, 2011, 08:08:34 am »
It'll be interesting to see where you end up weight-wise once you've added:

1) Battery, wiring, and lights.
2) 2nd carb, manifold, and fuel plumbing.
3) Brake calipers, pads, plumbing, and master cylinders.
4) Clip-ons or bars and controls.
5) Chain.

I don't know what (if anything) I'm forgetting there, but I could see that stuff above adding 50-100 lbs depending on the route you take with each.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Brother Syscrush I have those parts here and from what it looks like it will add less than 50 pounds so the bikes overall weight without fuel should be under three hundred pounds. Remember that I am running the very small lightweight billet rear brake master cylinder and caliper, a small battery, etc.

I have it apart so I will weigh all of the parts today and see what it will be close to but I think she will definately be well under 300lbs.

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #622 on: April 20, 2011, 08:10:15 am »
I have it apart so I will weigh all of the parts today and see what it will be close to but I think she will definately be well under 300lbs.
That's exciting, I hope you make it into the 2XX lbs category. :)

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #623 on: April 20, 2011, 08:13:58 am »
I never had that goal but now that I am close to having all of the parts and see her weight I am excited about it but it is going to be close!

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:21:23 am by joeyputt »

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #624 on: April 24, 2011, 08:06:26 pm »
I started working on the fork lowers, I cut off the fender mounts and started smoothing the casting lines.