Author Topic: tank blasting!!!!!  (Read 1444 times)

eldar

tank blasting!!!!!
« on: March 16, 2006, 02:32:33 pm »
OK now that I got the attention the those that like explosions.... ;D
I need to repair some dents and repaint my tank.

would it be bad to have the tank sand blasted? I did my seat pan which is a different material but it was really rough after it was done.
There are a lot of areas that would be very hard to blast on the bottom of the tank.  What have others done?

Offline jaknight

• Hot Shot
  • ....Round Town Ride......
Re: tank blasting!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 02:53:34 pm »
HELLO ELDAR,

I am sure you will get many varied opinions, pro & con.  I glass bead many things on a daily basis; aerospace & aircraft parts.  Matter of fact, today I glass beaded 4 Titanium Plenums for some aircraft engines.

I cannot with a clear conscience recommend glass beading for a Honda gas tank.  First, irregardless of what may be said, it does take a real master's touch to do the process without removing a measureable amount of metal thickness (yes, even with Titanium, I have seen it made paper thin and even holes blown through the titanium). 

The metal thickness on a gas tank is much different from the metal thickness of frames, etc., etc.  The gas tank will be much more vulnerable than frame, chassis, or even some engine parts.

I have seen even "professional" workers actually ruin metal parts. Yes, the rust and stains of various kinds will disappear before your eyes as you watch, but then again, metal is disappearing with it.  I would venture to say that the bottom of the gas tank would be the most critical part of the tank.

Even the world's best tobacco pipe makers, when making a "rusticated" pipe  - - -  instead of a smooth finish pipe - - -  only allow their best "masters" to do blasting on a tobacco pipe.

Perhaps using a wire brush or wheel in a power tool will cut down on the necessary hand work?  That process may remove some metal, but I gurantee, not like sand blasting.  Then, of course, the necessary hand finishing with proper grit papers, wet/dry, etc., would be in order to achieve the finish required for a good paint job.  I am sorry, I know this is not good news..... :-[

~ ~ ~ jaknight ~ ~ ~
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 03:07:21 pm by jaknight »
"THE PEN IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD........
..........EXCEPT IN A SWORD FIGHT"

eldar

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 03:12:24 pm »
it is about what I though. So it is not really bad news asI was expectging it. I really wanted a way to do the bottom with its various groves and tank mounts. If someone could let me know how they removed the paint there, that would be good.

I suppose I could just paint ove rthe old paint on the bottom as it is still good and not cracked that I have seen. Not like the bottom is seen much anyways. But I would like to redo it if possible.

Offline maksuttt

• Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 03:15:24 pm »
"I glass bead many things on a daily basis; aerospace & aircraft parts."
Me too:)

Try to use plastic blasting. It's also safe fo plastic parts. For metal you can use pressure up to 100 psi. Works great for old paint and hard rust remooving.
Also, for extremely rusty areas use glass, but adjast a pressure to 40-50 psi maximum.
Do your blasting work right befor priming or filling.
Good luck!
CB-750F 1975
My gallery is here
My blog is here