Author Topic: Assembly and Discussion of the Right-hand Switch (a rebuilder's guide)  (Read 94442 times)

Offline mystic_1

• Really Old Timer ...
  • 1970 CB750K
Re: Assembly and Discussion of the Right-hand Switch (a rebuilder's guide)
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2016, 08:00:29 pm »
:D to be honest though my second search was for "rubber cover for momentary switch" and thats the one that lead to the image I actually posted :)

mystic_1
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
- John Augustus Shedd

My build thread:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=68952.0

Offline JMS28411 I'm no Spring Chicken

• My 1977 CB550F
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2017, 11:11:27 pm »
Nicely done!

That's gotta be at least as weatherproof as the stock arrangement, what with the switch having it's own housing inside the switch housing.  Something like this would cap it off nicely (pun intended):

However, how much current is the switch rated for?  You might want to consider adding a relay to drive the starter relay (yo dawg, we heard you liked relays...), although you may not need one because it's a light-duty circuit and the starter solenoid only draws a few amps at most I'm guessing during cranking.

mystic_1

But the headlight is on a 7 amp fuse, or did you bypass the head light with a simple SPST momentary switch just for the starter relay only instead of a SPDT NO NC momentary push button switch?

How about some specs and part numbers on the switches being used?
My 1977 CB550F Project

Offline Smudgemo

• Hot Shot
  • Maker of Stuff
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2017, 08:46:22 pm »
If you still have the original starter switch guts, you can replace the disintegrated housing w/ a 3D printed copy.  http://shpws.me/NkB8 Works perfectly.
-Ryan
Project 1976 CB550F Rebuild: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,160110.0.html
Thread - How to fix your starter button (for real): http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,163170.0.html

Offline emags

« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2017, 10:26:44 am »
Any chance this could be reposted?  I'm doing this with my 69 cb350 and your photos (which aren't showing up) would be a HUGE help.  Thanks!

Offline Johnny4428

« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2017, 02:51:06 pm »
Hi, This is a great extensive write up, but can't seem to get the pictures to go with it, just getting small blue square with question mark for each pic. Anyone help?

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2017, 02:46:31 pm »
I think Ron (the original poster)said in another thread that he was in the process of moving all of his pics. 
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline SohRon

• She laughs 'til she cries when they call me an
  • Expert
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2017, 11:02:23 pm »
Just a note to mention that the thread has been re-loaded.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:03:33 pm by SohRon »
"He slipped back down the alley with some roly-poly little bat-faced girl..."

Assembling my '74 CB550: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=86697.0
Assembly of the Right-hand Switch (a rebuilder's guide):  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80532.0
Installing stock 4X4 exhaust: CB500-CB550 K: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=82323.0
CB550 Assembly Manual: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.0.html

Offline rrecroc

Greetings,

Good article. I recently purchased a 1974 CB350F. I noticed that the switches in the right hand assembly were intermittent. I noticed as I removed the assembly that the "phillips" head of one of the two screws was almost "stripped out". I was very careful as I disassemble the unit .... I found the start button spring to be missing as well as the small copper/brass u shaped contact (sits on a spring under the red "RUN" button and in the "RUN" position electrically connects the two contact points on the small "circuit board" to which the two wires are connected). I was able to find a replacement spring for the "Start" button but now am undecided what too do about the missing piece of the "RUN" mechanism. I could "jumper" the connections but it would be in the "RUN" mode at all times. Does anyone think this could be a safety problem ?

Offline tato81

Does kill switch in the accident itself turn off the engine? I mean it; if I have an accident then I need to replace kill switch? After a motorcycle accident, my starter does not spin as if something started the klill switch.

Offline Clunker

Hi guy's, new here but I'd like to thank SohRon for this excellent post, very handy. If I could just add something that may help, when it comes to tiny springs, ball bearings or anything else that can ping off at the speed of light. Get a large (larger the better) clear plastic bag and place the part you are dis-assembling in the bag with one hand and the relevant screwdriver / tool of choice. You can seal the bag around your wrist with a rubber band, then hold the part from outside the bag with your other free hand. Everything stays inside the bag whether it pings off or not.

Offline SohRon

• She laughs 'til she cries when they call me an
  • Expert
Looks like photobucket is no longer hosting free images and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $400 a month for the privilege. I'm not sure what course I'll take with this thread as I feel it has been useful for many. It may be that I'll finally write the book I've been threatening to do, in which case the thread will disappear from the site, which will kind of defeat its purpose; that is to make the information free and easily accessible to all. I apologize for the inconvenience. Downloading the images to the site is an option I'll have to consider. Stay tuned for further developments.
"He slipped back down the alley with some roly-poly little bat-faced girl..."

Assembling my '74 CB550: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=86697.0
Assembly of the Right-hand Switch (a rebuilder's guide):  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80532.0
Installing stock 4X4 exhaust: CB500-CB550 K: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=82323.0
CB550 Assembly Manual: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.0.html

Offline mbrown550

« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2017, 06:54:03 pm »
I realize this is 7+ years old, but if the photos could be updated (links) it would make this that much easier to understand/use. 
'74 CB550 - All Original
'74 CB550 - All in pieces
'74 CB360 - Oops wrong forum
'75 CB360 - Oops wrong forum
'76 CB360 - Oops wrong forum
2007 Shadow Aero
2017 Triumph Thruxton
Yes, I have a problem and an enabling wife.

Offline FreeRadical

« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2017, 10:44:51 am »
I have two copper washers that I don't remember where they go.  I think perhaps under the kill switch.  Anybody know or remember???

Thanks!

Offline twesolek

« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2017, 04:10:29 pm »
hey @SohRon any luck on the images?

Trying to rebuild my starter switch and don't have a good idea of how it should go back together.

Thanks!

Offline Smudgemo

• Hot Shot
  • Maker of Stuff
« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2017, 09:52:37 pm »
What kind of bike?  I did a how-to for the starter button and have a replacement switch housing available for a fast and easy repair.  Link above^^.
-Ryan
Project 1976 CB550F Rebuild: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,160110.0.html
Thread - How to fix your starter button (for real): http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,163170.0.html

Offline twesolek

« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2017, 11:49:15 am »
Thanks for the reply! Picked up a 1973 CB350, found a bad handlebar ground was the cause!

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2017, 01:42:26 pm »
I realize this is 7+ years old, but if the photos could be updated (links) it would make this that much easier to understand/use. 

An app for Chrome and Firefox has been developed to allow a workaround on Photo_ uckets block allowing you to see the images without any work on the part of the original poster.  Install it and download/copy the images ( and text) to save for an addendum to your workshop manual, giving credit to Sohron
I can send you a link for a guy from the CX500 forum who wrote one.  There are at least two out there for Chrome.  Most will link to a location where you can examine the code to allow you to review it ensuring the code has no malicious content.
David
David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline FabioM

« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2019, 10:34:09 pm »
Hey guys,

as the images on page one of this thread seem to be missing at the moment,
I would like to share the photobucket-folder of the owner: keen2oqe
I hope this helps future visitors, as I was also really struggeling with the reassembly ;D

Kind regards,
Fabio

Offline mattsz

• Enthusiast
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2019, 08:07:10 am »
Hey guys,

as the images on page one of this thread seem to be missing at the moment,
I would like to share the photobucket-folder of the owner: keen2oqe
I hope this helps future visitors, as I was also really struggeling with the reassembly ;D

Kind regards,
Fabio

Thanks for that, Fabio!  With access to those photos, I was able to reconstruct the original post as a PDF file.  I'd be happy to have it available somewhere, but not sure how to go about it.  I offered a copy of my '77 CB400F owners manual to the admins for posting in the technical documentation library - they were happy to have it, but two months later it hasn't appeared...

Offline samfig

• Sr. Fig
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2020, 03:15:48 pm »
I'd be interested in that PDF if it's still available.
-1973 CB750

Offline mattsz

• Enthusiast
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2020, 05:43:39 pm »
I'd be interested in that PDF if it's still available.

I'd be happy to share it, but I'm not sure what's acceptable.  It's not my work, so I don't feel like I should be the one to pass it around outside this forum without permission.  Maybe the OP could chime in?

Offline CBFalcon

« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2020, 05:59:55 pm »
Interesting read, thank you for the info.  BTW, I'm a new member, and a new owner of a 76 CB 750 F, and on a recent ride my starter wouldn't disengage after the turning over. I was a few blocks from my house, luckily, and after tinkering with it on the side of the road I ended up going home and getting to work. After a week of messing with the solenoid, including incorrectly attaching one of the hot wires to the neg post killing my electrical for a few days, I finally noticed the push button on the start was broken.

Upon disassembly I found an exploded switch with bits of plastic switch housing. So, I rode down to my local indy bike mechanic and they let me dig through some boxes to look for a replacement. I ended up finding the housing (for the actual switch, not the whole assembly) from what I think was a 78 500 assembly. It was much thicker off white plastic as opposed to the brittle clear stuff I found on my bike. Only problem was that the hole the screw goes through to screw it to the assembly was on the opposite side.

So, I reassembled the switch, pretty much how you explained, and then took a small metal scraper tool and heated it up with a propane torch, and melted off the tab with the hole. I put the button through the hole on the assembly, and hoped the handlebar would hold it in place...  Which, so far, it has. It feels a little shaky in there, I can feel the slightest bit of give when I start the bike, but so far no problems, the bike starts when I push the button and the starter disengages when the bike is running. I've been thinking about going back and getting a couple more of the switch covers just in case.

My only other option was purchasing the whole assembly (aftermarket) for around 50 bucks from a place called 4into1.com, which I ended up returning without even opening.  I'll let you know if it gives out on me but so far, it's been doing fine.  The only mishap was, that night I went out for a night ride and my headlight stopped working. Next day I removed the light from the bucket, unclipped it and then reattached and replaced it, and now it works again..  I'm wondering if something having to do with the start button being connected to the headlight because of the 'always on' thing while running may have something to do with it.  Guess I just have to wait and see if it happens again.

Anyway, justed wanted to add my 2 cents and my solution incase it ends up helping anyone.

Offline YoungBlood

• Enthusiast
  • 1975 Honda Cb750F
Does anyone know if the 1975 Honda CB750F Starter Button Housing is the same as the 1977 Honda CB750F Starter Button? Inside the tiny plastic box for red/black, red/yellow, and black is a rocker plate with two contact points. I lost mine in the alley the other day working on my bike. Someone on Ebay has one for sale but for the 77', all I need is that contact plate.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274670359876?hash=item3ff3a11544:g:VpgAAOSwyf9gGsXY
When you're going through hell, give it some more gas.

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
One good way to tell if a specific part number was used on other bikes is to look up your bike on a website like www.partzilla.com

From the main menu Shop OEM Parts, choose Honda, then choose Motorcycle.
Then for your 75 CB750F go to Models With No Year,
And choose CB750F, then go to Control Levers/Switches/Cables
#4 in the diagram has 2 part numbers in the list.
Click on the first #4 and scroll down for a list of other bikes this part was used on. Easy!

This doesn't mean that the 77 switch won't have the same switch guts in it, it might or might not.

Offline YoungBlood

• Enthusiast
  • 1975 Honda Cb750F
Thanks Alan, I did do this, I usually use bikebandit.com for this stuff. Did so for the studs on the forks I stripped. The 77' has a different part number than the 75', but I saw on this thread someone had a picture of the 77' CB550F that had the same internal guts I need. Would you say that 550 has the same parts as the 750?
When you're going through hell, give it some more gas.