Author Topic: New member, new project.  (Read 6230 times)

Offline englishwheeler

New member, new project.
« on: December 06, 2010, 01:19:07 pm »
Hello,
  Just joined the site after picking up a 1976 CB550. I've heard a lot about this place from my friend who is on here, but didn't have a bike of this nature. Now I do, so here I am!
Anyway...I'm gonna get some pics up soon, but thought I'd get a post going. I plan on cafe-ing this bike out and turning it into a nice corner carver.

I will be making a new gas tank out of aluminum and a tail section with aluminum also. I have plans for a monoshock rear, but also dig the looks of the twin shocks...so I'm on the fence. BTW, does anyone recommend a certain set of rear performance type shocks for the 550? I'm still learning where to look for parts.

I've seen the modern front end conversions, but think I will stay with the original for now.

Exhaust will be a two into two for that balanced look.
Hopefully I'll be able to contribute here and learn just the same.

Englishwheeler

http://meyerbuiltmetalworks.blogspot.com
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:29:18 pm by englishwheeler »

Offline Goofaroo

• general nuisance
  • Hot Shot
Re: New member, new project.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 04:14:38 pm »
It sounds like you have vision of what you want a good bike to start with.  That's one helluva seat that came with it. I bet the guy that put that on there was wearing platform shoes when he bought it.   

Offline joeyputt

• Hot Shot
  • The green flag sets me free
    • www.dwmsracing.com
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 05:01:00 pm »
That is a great bike you have there, I love all Honda's but the 550 is my favorite! I can not wait to see what you build for the tank and seat! Good to have you here!
Joe - Owner/Operator of DWMS Racing World Class Engine & Motorcycle Building www.dwmsracing.com

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/joe.dwmsracing

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 05:14:54 pm »
That is a great bike you have there, I love all Honda's but the 550 is my favorite! I can not wait to see what you build for the tank and seat! Good to have you here!

Im a 750 guy but +1 for everything else.... ;)

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline englishwheeler

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 06:52:00 pm »
Well, I caved in to the little voices in my head and bought a gsxr front end. I just really like what the others have done on here with theirs. I have some other touches to do to make them a bit different.
I also got my rear monoshock in the other day and am getting ready to get some work done.

Maybe I'll have some pictures up after this weekend.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 07:02:05 pm »
That is an odd looking photo, almost looks like a hand colored black and white,  sure looks like a good foundation...Welcome, Larry

Offline englishwheeler

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 02:43:17 pm »
I've caught a bad cold, so I haven't gotten much done.

Here's where I'm at so far.

My plans are to put this:

In here:

I think this shock, coupled with the modern front end I'm getting will really set this thing off.
Then it's on to chopping off a bunch of crap on the frame.

I'm going to remake everything from the rear of the engine back.

Englishwheeler
http://meyerbuiltmetalworks.blogspot.com

Offline BruceDeuce

• Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 02:59:30 pm »
Welcome! Looks like a great start!
78 Honda 550 Four (K)
79 XS650 Special
72 Suzuki TS400J Apache
72 Kawasaki G3SS 90
73 Aermacchi X90
86 Honda 450 Rebel restored
03 HD Deuce Screaming Eagle
Yamoto 50cc Quad
06 Loncin 110 Quad
85 LT250EF Quadrunner

gsnorcal

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 06:11:35 pm »
I like the monoshock!

You reckon that the stock swingarm can handle such a long unsupported length?

Dave

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 06:15:34 pm »
Great start.  I checked out you bog and look forward to following this build.

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 06:23:14 pm »
If this turns out as good as the others on your blog it will be well worth following!

Welcome aboard.

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 08:55:27 pm »
I think this shock, coupled with the modern front end I'm getting will really set this thing off.

Welcome aboard, and I'm glad you decided to go for a modern front end after all.
If you really want that cafe to be a canyon carver a better front is essential.

Cheers
FJ
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline englishwheeler

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 08:09:42 am »
Thanks guys! We'll see how much I can get going after Christmas.

Dave, I'm sorry but I don't quite understand what you mean by the unsupported length of the swingarm.
If you mean the lack of a bracing hoop, there will be one on there. I just haven't gotten there yet. It will be similar to the BMW on my blog. Thanks for looking out for me though!

Offline englishwheeler

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 02:09:41 pm »
Just got the front end today. So now I have my wheel, rotors, and everything else but the new top bearing. So it looks like modification can commence!

Offline englishwheeler

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 06:49:10 pm »
I got some progress done this weekend. I mounted the new front end....but still need to get the upper bearing.

I know this has been talked about at length, but I wanted to show a way to make this front end work with a 3/4" axle wheel, instead of the 1" axle.
I did this because I have been searching for weeks for a 1" axle 2008 wheel, but either can't find one...or they want $300+ for one....they aren't worth that.

The only issue with using this wheel is that I have to make some spacers to get the rotors out to meet the calipers.
So I guess this modification may not be for someone who can't use or doesn't have access to a lathe, but you could have a shop do it for you.

Here are some pics, and I will post more tomorrow.

Offline thehammer

• Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 06:58:32 pm »
wow, way to dive in head first. I've drooled over the gsxr forks on 550's, Id love a pair for mine. im subscribed.

gsnorcal

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 07:00:18 pm »
Front end looks great on there. Nice!

Dave, I'm sorry but I don't quite understand what you mean by the unsupported length of the swingarm.
If you mean the lack of a bracing hoop, there will be one on there. I just haven't gotten there yet. It will be similar to the BMW on my blog.
Yea, that's what I meant ;-)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 07:07:01 pm »
The thing you need to look at now is that with the smaller offset of the GSXR triple clamps the fork legs will now hit the tank before the steering stop, you should also measure trail to make sure you are in the "safe" zone....

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline englishwheeler

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 03:56:43 am »
Mick, not too worried about the tank since I will be making my own.
As for the trail, I am guessing that it won't be an issue since others have done it before. If it is a problem...guess I will just make some offset triples! :)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 04:45:08 am »
Just letting you know as it would be a shame to get a tank that needed modifying. A lot of guys do use these front ends including myself and a lot of guys don't know how unstable bad rake and trail numbers can be. Can't remember it off the top of my head but it is something like, longer trail numbers make the bike more stable but makes steering harder and shorter trail makes steering easier but makes the bike more "nervous"....Just saying in case you weren't sure. I have a mate up north that put offset triple clamps on his Harley and it nearly killed him, it steered like crap and was all over the road, my point is, just because everyone does it doesn't mean they do it right... ;)  Looking good by the way.... ;D

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 06:38:14 am »
I agree it looks great. I don't know from rake or trail but it sure looks good. Can't wait to see how it works for you.

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 03:16:58 pm »
Just letting you know as it would be a shame to get a tank that needed modifying. A lot of guys do use these front ends including myself and a lot of guys don't know how unstable bad rake and trail numbers can be. Can't remember it off the top of my head but it is something like, longer trail numbers make the bike more stable but makes steering harder and shorter trail makes steering easier but makes the bike more "nervous"....Just saying in case you weren't sure. I have a mate up north that put offset triple clamps on his Harley and it nearly killed him, it steered like crap and was all over the road, my point is, just because everyone does it doesn't mean they do it right... ;)  Looking good by the way.... ;D

Mick

Reduced triple offset will increase trail. The effect will be greater high speed stability at the expense of neutral steering and agility. Certainly not a life threatening compromise on these bikes.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 03:33:07 pm »

Mick

Reduced triple offset will increase trail. The effect will be greater high speed stability at the expense of neutral steering and agility. Certainly not a life threatening compromise on these bikes.

I didn't say it was, i was just letting him know what differences the front end would make, most people overlook these things when doing these conversions and they definitely alter handling.......

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 03:43:02 pm »

I didn't say it was, i was just letting him know what differences the front end would make, most people overlook these things when doing these conversions and they definitely alter handling.......

Mick

Pardon me Mick!
Not trying to imply that you did.

Cheers
FJ
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 03:44:38 pm by FunJimmy »

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 05:11:31 pm »
Yeah , no exclamation marks there mate, alls good...... ;D ;)

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc