Author Topic: sohc4 parent site  (Read 11404 times)

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
Re: sohc4 parent site
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2010, 07:06:45 am »
SOHC RELAY-RIDE........LETS GO!

We need our own page.  MyCB, Nomad, and the blog writer (Ben550) could be the moderators.  We need to select a charity. Every rider would donate by raising $$$ from local supporters ($1 or more from local club members, create an event at a local bar or cookout or bike show, get a sign-up sponsor sheet for 10-cents per mile OR MORE that you ride on the relay) and be sure to get your local newspaper and HONDA dealer involved.....maybe the event should be at the dealer!!!  The selected charity would designate a deposit location and funds moderator.

We could begin the ride in warm-weather states (California) in February or March. The route is best made by mapping out the initial riders and filling in the spaces. We already have someone to carry the SOHC-gnome to Europe. How do we get to Alaska?  Australia?  JAPAN?

Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline socalenduro

• Hot Shot
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2010, 07:17:46 am »
if you want warmer weather in winter months you better look to start in florida. not all of california is la and san diego beaches! getting over the mountains here to leave the state if FRIGID. Or maybe ive just lived here too long and im a puss

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2010, 07:28:59 am »
No socalenduro you are correct, Northern Cal can be a pita in the winter months. That however is part of the planning, making sure to start it when its warm and be able to hit the Midwest and East coast while its warm enough to ride (i.e. no snow, ice) while some members don't have a problem riding in that most of us do.. ;)

Also how do we make the connection to Alaska etc..

A google map with some pins in it to show where we have commitments would be a big start I think.

.: Scott :.
Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline BruceDeuce

• Enthusiast
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2010, 07:33:45 am »
Im willing to be the tour guide in NJ if needed. 
     Bruce
78 Honda 550 Four (K)
79 XS650 Special
72 Suzuki TS400J Apache
72 Kawasaki G3SS 90
73 Aermacchi X90
86 Honda 450 Rebel restored
03 HD Deuce Screaming Eagle
Yamoto 50cc Quad
06 Loncin 110 Quad
85 LT250EF Quadrunner

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2010, 07:43:50 am »
Alaska could be included as part of the Canadian routes, assuming some of you Canuck want in on this!  ;D

Good deal that we have a volunteer to carry the baton to Europe.  Is anyone planning to ship a bike to Oz or Japan?  Maybe if the little fella is packed in the same crate we could consider that a "contiguous" leg of the relay.

Short of that, we may have to accept an honorary UPS driver or three as part of the membership.

PS, I sent a quick note to the Iron Butt Association to see if they have any experience with long distance relays.  Since their focus is on extreme solo riding, I don't expect much, but will let y'all know what they say.
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline Alan F.

• We remember the Night Rider, and we know who you are.
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2010, 08:13:50 am »
How about a stuffed leather (or marine vinyl) godzilla instead of a sohc-puppet or gnome or franken-godzilla?  I'm sure some members are handy with a needle and thread... A custom made SOHC4 travelling Godzilla, complete with patches and integrated bungee d-rings... Hell maybe even design it to mimic a magnetic tank bag?  A nice weather resistant zippered compartment could house a small logbook...

thoughts?

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2010, 09:38:32 am »
I got a reply from Iron Butt (see below).  Apparently, they don't issue awards to the non-living.  Despite my outrage at their blatant pulseisum, I have to admit that they are being true to their charter.

Hi, Bruce!

The Iron Butt Association is a long-distance endurance riding organization.  Although the "gnome" may qualify for one of our ride awards (if, for example, it traveled at least 1,000 miles in 24 hours or less), we have a firm rule that requires the applicant to metabolize.

Of course, if one or more of the riders completes the requirements of one of our rides, they would be eligible for one of our certificates.

Good luck and ride safely!
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2010, 10:03:37 am »
Regarding the cold........In '69 I rode my K0 from Wisconsin to LA in November! One cold night in Flagstaff.........Yes, I envision the ride going from southern Cal along the southern states to Florida and then back to the west coast and return to the east again. I don't see it as a race........its a journey!  Maybe we should set a goal of arriving at the Daytona race in early March!  It would be a good place to connect with MOTORCYCLE CLASSICS.  Also, we should track the AHRMA events to gather interest.

Shipping to Japan could be accomplished with bike parts for the ride!

I like the tank-bag idea............a log-book and a jump-drive for lots of pics........
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2010, 10:55:24 am »
I think it's time to rename the thread or start a new one, take a shot at establishing some time frames, maybe put a map up with some stick pins and discuss routes, maybe see who would to want to ride the specific legs and pass the flame and yada yada yada. From the west coast I wouldn't mind stating from LA, San Diego, riding up to San Francisco or maybe northern CA to start. Doesn't matter. It's all slab out here. And then of course there's always route 66 or Pee Wees route. Canada would be fun but isn't it always gray up there?  ;D The last trip I did on my CB750 was from late October heading for Detroit. I won't do that again. This magazine Dennis pointed me to has some nice touring info. http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/article-categories.aspx?taxonomyid=26

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2010, 11:16:41 am »
Hey Guys,

As has been mentioned, this needs to turn into it's own thread. I normally wouldn't look at a title such as this has so I wandered to it inadvertently. For something as dynamic as this to happen it needs as much visibility as possible to succeed, internally then externally. Don't put the cart before the horse.

This is a really fantastic idea. Timing and participation are the key ingredients. Timing being the seasons and weather. Participation being the ability to cover all the states possible without any delays by riding every day non-stop whether it's a few miles or many miles but nevertheless daily. I know we have a large base of potential participants but I have a feeling it may still be difficult. We need to lay the framework first then go forward from there. Kind of like my daughter's middle school projects. She is using outlines then filling in the subject matter in a logical progression. We need to set an achievable time frame inclusive of weather then set up some routing ideas around that. 6 months should be more than enough and the weather situation should not be a problem.

Looking at my map ( I love looking at maps for rides  ;D  ) my thoughts are to start down south due to the seasonal weather. We should try to NOT use the Interstates but, rather, follow their routes. For instance: kick it off in Daytona during Bike Week (late Feb/early Mar). I don't think for what we want to accomplish that 2011 would be feasible - too early. If we do a good job and get the press/sponsonship we'd like to have we could probably even be recognized as an event. From Bike Week head we knock out the entire south east first then head west.

For instance, Leg 1 (March - April):  Say Daytona - Jacksonville - Savannah - Charleston - Wilmington - Nags Head - Richmond - Blue Ridge Pkwy - KY - TN - AL - MS - AR - LA - TX - OK - NM - NV - AZ - CA.

Leg 2 (April - May): CA - NV - UT - CO - KS - MO - IL - IN - OH - WV -PA - MD - DC - DE -NJ

Leg 3 (May - June):  NY - New England states

Leg 4 (June - July - August): From Maine hit the provinces crossing back at Sault Ste Marie - WI - MN - IO - NB - SD - ND - Manitoba - SK - AB - MT - WYU - ID - OR - WA - BC

Leg 5 (August): take the ferry from Seaweb's and Magpie's at Victoria, BC to AK   

Aside from routing then we will need people and sponsors. No better people than what we have here! I'm going to suggest at least 2 and maybe more riders all the time! We have old bikes. Don't want anyone stranded and we need to successfully accomplish our mission. But, we'll probably need outside help also so we recruit which will also help our membership increase. We have nationally recognized companies around us that can help promote such as APE, Corbin, Dynoman, etc. I'm sure some of the national motorcycle publications would be interested too. That would be the REAL push. BUT we need to put an outline in place and round up our initial riders to make sure we could FEASIBLY pull this off BEFORE we approach the publications.

How's all this sound to you guys?
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2010, 11:35:30 am »
I started a new thread if you guys want to use that but I'm just one of 20,000 on our site.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2010, 12:33:46 pm »

I think you left Michigan out up there Jerry... :'( :'(  You know how them Michigan guys get when they're left out... :-* :-* I'm just sayin' ;D ;D

Edit: I stand corrected.  :-[ :-[
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 01:17:56 pm by Schmthaus »
Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2010, 01:06:28 pm »
Of course we get testy when we're ignored!  There aren't many of us left up here!  :D

Actually, we are in the routing listed earlier.  The suggestion was made to cross from Canada into Michigan at Sault Ste Marie then on to visit the Cheese Heads.  I'd like to suggest the route cross at Windsor or Sarnia as there are many members in the lower peninsula that I'm sure would like to participate.  The route could then go north, over the Mighty Mac to the upper peninsula if there is interest up there.
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2010, 01:14:27 pm »
The route could then go north, over the Mighty Mac to the upper peninsula if there is interest up there.

The Mighty Mac has that steel grated surface doesn't it?  That would probably be a little nerve wracking to cross.... :o :o
Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline Zaipai

• I am getting closer to being an
  • Old Timer
    • My Home page
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2010, 01:26:24 pm »
How about this once the outline is set and all... Its for cycling however seems it could be used for this too.

http://www.mapmyride.com/

I started a new thread if you guys want to use that but I'm just one of 20,000 on our site.

Hey Jerry, can you link the new thread you started? Seems like you have some great ideas that will help get the ball rolling..

.: Scott :.

Its my Avatar..

75 CB550F  | 

Offline lone*X

• Expert
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2010, 01:29:55 pm »

And the thread is?  And Where?
Lone*X  ( Don )

75 CB550K1  
VTX1800C for two up cruisin.
Several others have come and gone but whose keeping track.
52 years on two wheels and counting.....
"The best safety feature of any motorcycle is the one God put between your ears.  It's also the least utilized"

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2010, 01:30:04 pm »

I think you left Michigan out up there Jerry... :'( :'(  You know how them Michigan guys get when they're left out... :-* :-* I'm just sayin' ;D ;D

Edit: I stand corrected.  :-[ :-[

I thought I had the route crossing into the Upper Peninsula but I've never been there. I did recheck and added MI after Sault Ste Marie. Looking like that'll change anyway as we have a volunteer for Lower MI so we'd cross over into Detroit and still have the Province covered.

Thanks. You guys keep the input coming. PM's are good too as they don't clutter up a topic and make it easier to keep up with.

As a side note here. I enjoy this sort of thing and I have the time but I don't wish to be pushy and annoint myself here. I hope you guys don't mind me jumping in and helping out. 

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2010, 01:32:59 pm »

And the thread is?  And Where?

Sorry guys. http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80858.0

Tech/SOHC Bikes/ Topic: SOHC4 Relay Across America and Canada  This is KINDA technical  ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 01:34:41 pm by Jerry Rxman Griffin »