Author Topic: Does anybody recognize this fairing?  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Bluegreen

• Hot Shot
Does anybody recognize this fairing?
« on: December 08, 2010, 01:01:07 am »

It had "Bottelin Dumoulin Polystructure" molded acros the nose. Any ideas what it came off of?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 01:10:12 am by Bluegreen »

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
Re: Does anybody recognize this fairing?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 12:49:14 pm »
very nice!

easier to understand rotated by 90 degs :)

by way of the big cut for the alternator cover, i'd say its off an inline four

Style wise, looks early eighties, certainly not seventies.

A quick searh shows that its a french company that lately did cases but shut down in 2006

http://translate.google.it/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.motomag.com%2F%2BOn-acheve-bien-les-chevaux-01144%2B.html

are you in france?

TG

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 01:50:46 pm »
no i think it is 70s , the yellow number background means it was probably fitted to a 500cc bike . not sure if the cut out for the alternator is original though , said on that web site that they made  the fairings fitted to eric offenstad's 1977 500 , the one with the funny front end [ i suspect ]   had a look on the web and the fairing does look similar to one of the photos , will have a dig through my own collection an see if i have any better pics.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 03:25:26 pm »
wow, good visual memory, all but forgot about eric's crazy rides.

the fairing on bike 52 looks quite close, though its fitted to a TZ here.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 03:31:52 pm by turboguzzi »

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 04:24:53 pm »
i will forgive you for thinking it was the 80s tg as all the offenstad bikes were at least 10 years ahead of there time,  i had forgotten just what a free thinking pioneer he was

Offline Bluegreen

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 06:45:57 pm »
TG, lol you're right, it is easier ti see that way, I thought about flipping it then forgot. Shame on me :) No, not France, Canada. I found it in a local shop for cheap, it's been sitting there forever and I'm thinking about picking it up although I'm really into the late 70's Ducati 900ss fairing.

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts and input.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 10:23:24 pm »
i will forgive you for thinking it was the 80s tg as all the offenstad bikes were at least 10 years ahead of there time,  i had forgotten just what a free thinking pioneer he was

funny, cause' i intended to write late 70's-early 80's, certainly not early 70's but then thought that's too anal retentive.... :)

You can just see slightly tighter, straighter lines being introduced in hand guards area, that's what gave away the age, 76' CB400 four had those tighter lines in the tank for example.

TG, lol you're right, it is easier ti see that way, I thought about flipping it then forgot. Shame on me :) No, not France, Canada. I found it in a local shop for cheap, it's been sitting there forever and I'm thinking about picking it up although I'm really into the late 70's Ducati 900ss fairing.

its meant for a real racer with low clipons, so if you are not interested, then Bwaller in Canada might, he's building a racer now, mind if i ask him?

TG

Offline Bluegreen

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 01:32:49 am »

funny, cause' i intended to write late 70's-early 80's, certainly not early 70's but then thought that's too anal retentive.... :)

You can just see slightly tighter, straighter lines being introduced in hand guards area, that's what gave away the age, 76' CB400 four had those tighter lines in the tank for example.

its meant for a real racer with low clipons, so if you are not interested, then Bwaller in Canada might, he's building a racer now, mind if i ask him?

TG

Don't mind at all. I've got low clip-ons but when I was looking at it I was thinking it would be a shame to have to cut a hole in the front for a light...

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 03:47:37 am »
Yoohoo, here I am.  ;D   Bluegreen PM sent.

Just so happens TG I'm using a CB400 tank too.