Author Topic: SOHC4 Relay Across America, Canada, and Beyond  (Read 52586 times)

Offline mycb750k6

• "res ipsa loquitur"
  • Expert
  • Rocketman
    • photobucket albums
Re: SOHC4 Relay Across America, Canada, and Beyond
« Reply #125 on: December 14, 2010, 08:39:17 am »
I just spent some more time on Google Earth again. You can create and name routes and them import them but they are flat with no altitude change. If I use my Garmin GPS, I can download the route into Google earth and see it in 3D as I go over hills and such. So in addition to putting up pictures, maybe we can upload to Google maps and Earth too and store the route in 3D for all to see - not sure. Just sayn, with todays technology, ought to be able to capture the route, video, photos, places of interest and all the people involved in one location. I have not used my Garmin on my 750, just on my mountain bike but I'll give it a try.

Offline bender01

• Master
  • "Follow the leader.He's on a Honda"
« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2010, 09:29:58 am »
The bridge into SC is where my avatar pic is from. Guess ill ride to Columbia with you. My biggest problem is getting the time. That is a long straight ride.
75 550 K1
74 750 K4
1968 450 K1 Super Sport
74 750k 836 project
http://www.bikepics.com/members/bender01/
So, the strategy is to lie to people you are asking for help?

I think I'll be busy going for a ride.

Good luck!
Two Tired Quote !

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2010, 10:29:13 am »
The Ontario SOHC/4 members are working on a Rally / Ride to Mosport for this years VRRA Vintage Festival (August 12-14).  If the timing could be worked out, this would be a good fit into the overall 'Relay Across...' in 2012.  We have members here that are from 8 hours to 1/2 hour from Mosport, so figuring out the logistics for this, would certainly help with this much larger plan.

The thread for this is at - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=77961.0  It goes without saying that any US members wishing to join in are more than welcome.

tintop
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2010, 11:28:53 am »
hahahaha....just checked out the Canadia thread..then had to double check..all this time I was thinkin 2011!!  COOL!! I may be down for much longer legs when 2012 rolls around, sort of an "End of the World As We Know It" ride.. ;D  pretty much guaranteed I'll be tired enough of this job to chuck it and take a month or so to see the country one last time before the whole world goes to S^%$. I am kinda curious tho..I've heard that people with "a colorful past", and certain "blemishes" on their driving record are no longer allowed to cross "International" boders, like into Canadia or Mexico...anyone have any definitive info??  Definitely planning on visiting the Great White North one of these days, I'd sorta like to do it legally... :D The boat ride from Port Angeles to Victoria was cool, but sort of a limited exposure, and I'd really like to take the bike..
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2010, 11:49:44 am »
Its BUILDING.................When you add in the MUST appearances at numerous vintage events it may take 2-years to cover North America. Maybe a quick-trip for the tank-bag to South America or Australia during our winter.
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2010, 12:29:41 pm »
.....planning on visiting the Great White North one of these days, I'd sorta like to do it legally... :D The boat ride from Port Angeles to Victoria was cool, but sort of a limited exposure, and I'd really like to take the bike..

Arriving by boat up here has taken on a new meaning, since the latest load of 400 'refuges' landed. ;) :)  Getting into Canada doesn't seem to be a problem ::), but I would suggest you check on what's required to get back home.  I need a passport now, to go down there for a visit. :(
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline ZanVooden

• I don't need no stinkin' title
  • Hot Shot
  • This was suppose to be a quick one month job...
« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2010, 12:55:48 pm »
Jerry, I know we have to fine tune the routes and such but coming through WI we should come south down to Milwaukee (maybe stop at Road America race track for the vintage weekend) as I know we have a lot of members there and then maybe some of the chicago members can join on the way out the Minniapolis. Will add some extra distance but will pick up and include alot of members.
Just need to find somebody to ride from the UP down aways in the WI where I could meet them.

Offline RatRacer

« Reply #132 on: December 14, 2010, 01:11:21 pm »
I'm hoping to do all or most of the UP as there are only a few of us up here.  I could probably get it to Appleton... maybe a bit further.
  • 1979 CB 650 SOHC/4.  Currently undergoing surgery to replace reason with insanity!
  • 1999 Ram 2500 QCSB Cummins Diesel.  Headache Rack, Spray-on Bedliner, S.Steel Nerf Bars, Silencer Ring MIA, 4" TB Aero Exhaust, 1-Ton Suspension Upgrade, BHAF.
  • 2007 Mustang GT California Special.  Convertible Top, Bullitt Exhaust.

Offline ZanVooden

• I don't need no stinkin' title
  • Hot Shot
  • This was suppose to be a quick one month job...
« Reply #133 on: December 14, 2010, 01:27:29 pm »
I'm hoping to do all or most of the UP as there are only a few of us up here.  I could probably get it to Appleton... maybe a bit further.

I could meet you in Appleton.

Offline Lavis500

• Why don't you go ask a
  • Hot Shot
  • "Don't plan vast projects with half-vast ideas"
« Reply #134 on: December 14, 2010, 02:14:58 pm »
I think people have mentioned accompanying vehicles.  What if we tried to keep a large SUV/truck type vehicle in the front of the group?  The vehicle could wear signs, alerting the public to our presence.   8)  I think it would be a good idea because they could provide support in the case of an emergency - medical or mechanical.  They could carry a more extensive first aid kit and tool kit than anything in a tank bag.  Vehicles and drivers would obviously by swapped out with legs, just as we would.  I'm sure there are some other wives out there willing to be drive?
"Whatever it is, I swear I didn't do it!"

'73 CB500 - Sally

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #135 on: December 14, 2010, 02:38:28 pm »
We're currently at 55 riders and support. I'm thinking that when we get to 100 I will begin to break everyone down into regions so we can all get a better picture of our Rally coverage. At some point the regions will start working on their rides. It's a good start but we'll need more riders, that's for sure! Keep 'em coming riders  :)   
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline apex_seeking

• Ron Swanson is a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #136 on: December 14, 2010, 03:18:08 pm »
I could help out with a Colorado leg. Hopefully with the ride but if need be I have a tahoe that I could haul tools or first aid, whatever. Just want to throw my hat into the ring.

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #137 on: December 14, 2010, 03:49:37 pm »
Tools............?  Standard tool kit, some zip-ties, maybe a spare clutch-cable. If you need more than that your bike wasn't ready to ride!  If all goes well these should be rather short rides and with fellow members for any needed assistance. Maybe a map locating all HONDA dealers for PR and all will shop keepers (like Paulages) to offer assistance if needed.  I can offer a mechanic with a tire-changer and new tubes anytime.

Yes, Jerry...........local leaders to connect the riders............Example:  I live near Sheboygan, Wisconsin. Easy connection from the UP of Michigan to Milwaukee or Madison or Chicago. Road America is 10 miles from my house..............I have a spare room with a bath............Anyone??

Also..........riders.........think about the local places of interest in your back yard.  Is there a biker hangout; restaurant; 2-wheel Tuesday event to visit?
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #138 on: December 14, 2010, 05:04:23 pm »
Zip ties and duct tape for sure!! JBWeld? Gas and oil... sparkplugs maybe... a spare clutch cable is a good idea, but if you're gonna carry that, a throttle pair would also be a good idea, but then again..I think those should be up to the rider, because if you're gonna carry them on the support vehicle, you'd probably want one for a 350, a 400, a 500, a 550, a 650, a 750...........best everyone should make sure their ride is road ready first, and bring thier own spares...
DEFINITELY map out all the dealers on the way!! If someone does actually need replacement parts someone could go ahead or back for those..Maybe even get some sponsors that way? maybe they'd toss in a free cable or two? or some spark plugs? give 'em a chance to get rid of some of that dusty NOS stuff just taking up shelf space?  ;D  ... in exchange for a buncha local guys with some outtatowners in for a publicity shot?  maybe contact some local news guys for some additional coverage? (maybe even make national news?) local folks could show up on bikes that otherwise wouldn't be making the relay, like 50s and 90s? restored Dreams and SuperHawks? I'm sure some of the local biker hangouts and maybe clubs not necessarily SOHC oriented, but have SOHC members (your local Mods/Rockers or VJMC or..) would also appreciate a little extra attention...gotta lotta time to come up with ideas and get them in motion. So...obviously folks will be dropping in and out along the way, don't want to set a maximum and discourage anyone from participating, but are we gonna set a minimum "group size" per leg?
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Offline kpier883

• is quite the
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #139 on: December 14, 2010, 05:31:19 pm »
I am in for the trip into and out of Alabama.   :)

I am in Birmingham.
74 CB750
80 CBX
82 KZ1000 K2 (LTD)
57 1/2 ton chevy

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #140 on: December 14, 2010, 05:32:31 pm »
Jerry, I know we have to fine tune the routes and such but coming through WI we should come south down to Milwaukee (maybe stop at Road America race track for the vintage weekend) as I know we have a lot of members there and then maybe some of the chicago members can join on the way out the Minniapolis. Will add some extra distance but will pick up and include alot of members.
Just need to find somebody to ride from the UP down aways in the WI where I could meet them.

That would be great! That's the freedom of routing you riders need to work out amongst yourselves. Main things: all 48 states & lower provinces and being able to connect with the next rider(s)

I'm really looking forward to everyones pictures and reports when this finally happens. Sooo many places I haven't seen.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline alanshivley

« Reply #141 on: December 14, 2010, 07:00:20 pm »

i'm in Dallas and would be able to assist in any way...and maybe ride if the back allows!!

Offline Don R

• My Sandcast is a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Saver of unloved motorcycles.
« Reply #142 on: December 14, 2010, 07:10:04 pm »
KISSOHC, Keep it simple sohc4's
No matter how many times you paint over a shadow, it's still there.
 CEO at the no kill motorcycle shop.
 You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline Bluto

• Hot Shot
    • company website
« Reply #143 on: December 14, 2010, 07:20:55 pm »
North Georgia here and ready to ride.

Great Idea.................

Bill S.
76 550K bought brand new...mothballed for 30 years... and still running great
81 XR 80
82 XR 200

Offline fasturd

• Hot Shot
« Reply #144 on: December 14, 2010, 07:22:09 pm »
Come on really? A sag wagon? With all the support on the forum and everywhere along the route "We don't need no stinkin' sag wagon"... That would take all the COOL out of the equation. These are SOHC Honda 4s, its not like they have never been ridden across America before. And we are riding in legs. I am sure no one will cover more than 500 miles and any SOHC worth a &$*# can do that.
When we get closer maybe we can get some volunteers who can offer up mechanical help to those who may not be able to do it themselves, remember you are only going to be at most a few hours from home. A member with a pickup or van can solve the problem pretty quickly.
I have ridden thousands of miles on nice and not so nice vintage Hondas, they may bring you to the side of the road but they hardly ever leave you there.

13 in the garage and counting...

Link to my link...   http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=58422.0

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #145 on: December 14, 2010, 07:26:18 pm »
Come on really? A sag wagon? With all the support on the forum and everywhere along the route "We don't need no stinkin' sag wagon"... That would take all the COOL out of the equation. These are SOHC Honda 4s, its not like they have never been ridden across America before. And we are riding in legs. I am sure no one will cover more than 500 miles and any SOHC worth a &$*# can do that.
When we get closer maybe we can get some volunteers who can offer up mechanical help to those who may not be able to do it themselves, remember you are only going to be at most a few hours from home. A member with a pickup or van can solve the problem pretty quickly.
I have ridden thousands of miles on nice and not so nice vintage Hondas, they may bring you to the side of the road but they hardly ever leave you there.

I think you're right about that.  ;)
Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

nomad

« Reply #146 on: December 14, 2010, 07:30:20 pm »

I think you're right about that.  ;)

+2

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
Re: SOHC4 Relay Across Am-caerica, Canada, and Beyond
« Reply #147 on: December 14, 2010, 07:38:50 pm »

+3  Never been stranded by a sohc Honda,  only bike that ever left me stranded was a 1981 Honda Silverwing-and that was due to faulty tank repair.  Carbs became clogged with whatever red stuff the PO used.... Larry

Offline swellguy

• An electric cattle prod is a
  • Hot Shot
  • Divorce is so expensive because it's worth it.
    • http://ksphotos.com
« Reply #148 on: December 14, 2010, 07:56:50 pm »
Leg 5 (August): take the ferry from Seaweb's and Magpie's at Victoria, BC to AK
I'm also in Victoria (most of the time). Just wanted to clarify . . . you're talking about taking the ferry from Victoria back to the mainland (Vancouver) then ride up to Alaska? There's no ferry that goes from Vancouver Island to Alaska, cruise ships maybe.
This project started in confusion and will end in disarray.
--
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=76471.msg852227#msg852227

Offline fasturd

• Hot Shot
« Reply #149 on: December 14, 2010, 08:21:28 pm »
See this is why I like this forum! ;D
13 in the garage and counting...

Link to my link...   http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=58422.0