Author Topic: SOHC4 Relay Across America, Canada, and Beyond  (Read 52573 times)

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
  • humanitas, qualitas, quantitas and velocitas
Re: SOHC4 Relay Across America, Canada, and Beyond
« Reply #275 on: December 20, 2010, 10:47:36 am »
Maybe the "figurine" should be an original part from a K0. You know, something that was exclusive to the first production run of the 750's.
It would be kind of nostalgic to have a piece of what started this all take the trip.

I like the idea.  I think it's important that the "item" have a couple of attributes:
  • Symbolic
  • Visible in pictures of groups of bike/pictures/scenery
  • Reasonably portable

I think the 6" Godzilla http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Japanese-Vinyl-Figure-Re-Paint/dp/B0009V9I58/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1292870577&sr=8-10 fits that criteria pretty well.  It is VERY Japanese, invasive, aggressive.  It's about the size of a gnome.  It's pretty portable. 

A CB750 part would be nice too.  I'm trying to figure out what might work... how about a piston complete with rod? 

K6
K7 
Suzuki GN400 - Ignition fixed!
03 KLR650 - Doesn't do anything very well but.. well.. does everything.

Offline Brown Bomber

• Don't mess with me cause I'm a SOHC/4
  • Expert
« Reply #276 on: December 20, 2010, 10:48:27 am »
Maybe the "figurine" should be an original part from a K0. You know, something that was exclusive to the first production run of the 750's.

It would be kind of nostalgic to have a piece of what started this all take the trip.

My 2 cents
Good idea, but getting someone to cough up a hard to get part may be difficult. How about a part that is more common to all SOHC4's and easy to carry, like a key on one of those cool chains with the forum logo? 
Keep the Shiny side up!

1987 ZG1000 "King Crimson"
1972 CB750K2 "Stout"
1976 CB500T "Witch's Promise"
1973 CL450K5 Cafe Project
I'd rather go homeless than chromeless

People get maddest when I've told the truth.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.......
                                                                          Vito Corleone

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
« Reply #277 on: December 20, 2010, 10:59:34 am »
how about a piston complete with rod? 

If someone could engrave the face of the piston with "SOHC4 World Relay" (or something like that), each member could take a "rubbing" off of it for a keepsake.  Hold a piece of paper to it and rub with a pencil. 
K6
K7 

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #278 on: December 20, 2010, 11:28:43 am »
Count me in for the PNW, Northern Oregon to Vancouver BC.

;D

HEY TWEAKIN!
check out my post on pg 8
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80858.msg909027#msg909027
i listed the N-S and W-E routes, drop your name on the list, save, and attach to a reply in this thread to keep current.
it'll let us see who's along the routes in WA.  bunch of us in SEA might be able to pick it up from ya and carry it N to the border, with few pics/stops along the way.  :P or you can join the swarm and ride   8)
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline Brown Bomber

• Don't mess with me cause I'm a SOHC/4
  • Expert
« Reply #279 on: December 20, 2010, 11:36:25 am »

If someone could engrave the face of the piston with "SOHC4 World Relay" (or something like that), each member could take a "rubbing" off of it for a keepsake.  Hold a piece of paper to it and rub with a pencil. 
I like that Idea!
Keep the Shiny side up!

1987 ZG1000 "King Crimson"
1972 CB750K2 "Stout"
1976 CB500T "Witch's Promise"
1973 CL450K5 Cafe Project
I'd rather go homeless than chromeless

People get maddest when I've told the truth.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.......
                                                                          Vito Corleone

Offline Jordan

• Hot Shot
  • What a Long strange trip it's been
« Reply #280 on: December 20, 2010, 01:18:18 pm »
Would be cool if it worked out to include the item in the shipping of a bike bought in the US or Canada by a rider in Europe/Australia or the multitude of other locals that SOHC4 owners lurk about. All of this has me working on installing a heater in the garage so I can continue to rebuild the bike without losing any appendages to frostbite. 

Offline import_tuner13

• Don't you dare call me a
« Reply #281 on: December 20, 2010, 01:54:54 pm »
IF....big IF my bike is working....  I'd be down for the new hamshire part of it.  again.  BIG IF

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #282 on: December 20, 2010, 01:55:36 pm »
Count me in for the PNW, Northern Oregon to Vancouver BC.

;D

HEY TWEAKIN!
check out my post on pg 8
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80858.msg909027#msg909027
i listed the N-S and W-E routes, drop your name on the list, save, and attach to a reply in this thread to keep current.
it'll let us see who's along the routes in WA.  bunch of us in SEA might be able to pick it up from ya and carry it N to the border, with few pics/stops along the way.  :P or you can join the swarm and ride   8)

The more the merrier! How about sending a PM too so I can get you added to the list. Thanks
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #283 on: December 20, 2010, 01:59:00 pm »

I'd bet if we asked Ray in Cleveland he might consider doing the engraving.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline GammaFlat

• Master
« Reply #284 on: December 20, 2010, 02:05:52 pm »
I'd bet if we asked Ray in Cleveland he might consider doing the engraving.

When I ride, I'll request the guys I "ride with / get piston from / give piston to" sign my "rub sheet" with names, times and routes.  :)

K6
K7 

Offline andy750

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #285 on: December 20, 2010, 03:52:06 pm »
How about getting the piston painted gold (and engraved) - this way its 1) more noticeable and special - passing the "Gold piston" and will show up in photos better  - paint a rod while you are at it and its the Golden rod and piston ;). Have a book that goes with it that gets signed along the way with names/route taken....final copy gets scanned at the end and kept on the SOHC website...

Current bikes
1. CB750K4: Long distance bike, 17 countries and counting...2001 - Trans-USA-Mexico, 2003 - European Tour, 2004 - SOHC Easy Rider Trip , 2008 - Adirondack Tour 2-up , 2013 - Tail of the Dragon Tour , 2017: 836 kit install and bottom end rebuild. And rebirth: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,173213.msg2029836.html#msg2029836
2. CB750/810cc K2  - road racer with JMR worked head 71 hp
3. Yamaha Tenere T700 2022

Where did you go on your bike today? - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=45183.2350

Offline RatRacer

« Reply #286 on: December 20, 2010, 05:05:58 pm »
Personally, I like the Godzilla idea; the Japanese monster that swept across the western world... sounds like what the cb750 did to Harley, Triumph, BSA, etc.

Regardless, somebody should set up an online photo album where members can upload pictures of whatever object we're relaying in front of different monuments along it's trip.

It would also be cool to put together a logbook where members can write down their names, the dates, the locations they visited, and how many miles they rode on their particular leg.
  • 1979 CB 650 SOHC/4.  Currently undergoing surgery to replace reason with insanity!
  • 1999 Ram 2500 QCSB Cummins Diesel.  Headache Rack, Spray-on Bedliner, S.Steel Nerf Bars, Silencer Ring MIA, 4" TB Aero Exhaust, 1-Ton Suspension Upgrade, BHAF.
  • 2007 Mustang GT California Special.  Convertible Top, Bullitt Exhaust.

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #287 on: December 20, 2010, 05:24:36 pm »
"rub sheet"

Golden rod

So wait, you want us to "rub the golden rod"?  ;D ;D 
Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
THE NEW TOPIC IS UP AND RUNNING AT OWNERS CLUB FORUMS - SOHC4/WORLD TOUR
« Reply #288 on: December 20, 2010, 10:00:02 pm »
FYI

I will be switching over to the new topic listed under "Owners Forum" / "SOHC4 World Tour" now that I have been able to get started on it.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?board=125.0

You will also be able to begin logging into some of the regional rides which will be posted by the Regional Coordinators as their time permits. Please contact them if you wish to ride in those particular regions. I would still like to receive a PM from any interested riders so that I may add you to the comprehensive list and VanZooden can add you to the spread sheet which he is maintaining. We still need to add some Regional Coordinators. If you are interested in becoming a Coordinator please PM me.   

The list of riders will now be maintained there rather than here since it is up and running.

We are taking ideas for "IT", our mascot, and hope to vote on "IT" after Christmas. If there are more ideas out there please post up on the topic and I can add your idea to the list. I have probably missed some so please remind me. Currently we have Godzilla, a Gnome, and an Engraved Golden Piston and Rod commemorating the event.   

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #289 on: December 21, 2010, 10:59:15 am »
"rub sheet"

Golden rod

So wait, you want us to "rub the golden rod"?  ;D ;D  
Rub it like its the last time you'll see it! :D
Whatever Icon we transport, we gotta note, along with trider info, in which states, and how many times,  it hit the TON too!!! 8) ;D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 11:11:25 am by flybox1 »
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #290 on: December 21, 2010, 03:47:01 pm »
"rub sheet"

Golden rod

So wait, you want us to "rub the golden rod"?  ;D ;D  
Rub it like its the last time you'll see it! :D
Whatever Icon we transport, we gotta note, along with trider info, in which states, and how many times,  it hit the TON too!!! 8) ;D
Let's hope for a ton of tons ;D
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #291 on: December 21, 2010, 03:53:59 pm »
Heh...remember, it's not a race, but I don't mind crankin it up a little...when Johnny's not lookin... 8)
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #292 on: December 21, 2010, 07:47:27 pm »
Hi to all my US neighbours.

I've been trading PM's with Jerry, and wanted to let you know about what the Ontario Canada SOHC gang are working on.  We're organizing a Rally to this year's VRRA Vintage Bike Festival at Mosport (August 12th to 14th).  I've been volunteered (army style  ;) :)) as Rally Coordinator.

The link to the thread is here http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=77961.0

Not sure how this may dovetail with what is going on here, but I wanted you to know what we are up to.  Plans are still being firmed up, but VRRA are excited about us coming.  An offer of an SOHC display area, and a reserved camping area are already on the table (camping is included in the weekend admission price).  As well I am are in contact with Honda Canada.  They are major sponsors of this years event, and will be doing the ride program there.

We are planning a ride in from all points in Ontario to a main staging point near Mosport, with a mass ride in Saturday AM to Mosport.  So I would like to take this opportunity to invite any and all to join our party.  I hope to have the basic schedule, and plans in place by the end of Jan.  And yes, non SOHC bikes are welcome, but you will be politely asked 'to take a seat at the back of the bus'. ;) ;D

As well, I and other ON SOHC'rs will be involved in your endeavour, regarding the Ontario leg.

tintop / Brian

1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
« Reply #293 on: December 21, 2010, 07:52:25 pm »
Can we please confine this effort to actual SOHC's ??...... I hate it when folks say they will show-up on their SOHC and then decide to ride their Sportster or something....... Godzilla on a H.D. and I'll vomit  ???
How can we avoid this ?. Make a rule ? Thoughts anyone ?.... I think the 'mascot' shouldn't move forward on the route unless it's on an SOHC.....IMO, how could we ensure this ?
BTW... don't mind if 'other' bikes accompany the 'mascot' but the SOHC chain would have to be maintained.
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

nomad

« Reply #294 on: December 21, 2010, 08:06:31 pm »
Can we please confine this effort to actual SOHC's ??...... I hate it when folks say they will show-up on their SOHC and then decide to ride their Sportster or something....... Godzilla on a H.D. and I'll vomit  ???
How can we avoid this ?. Make a rule ? Thoughts anyone ?.... I think the 'mascot' shouldn't move forward on the route unless it's on an SOHC.....IMO, how could we ensure this ?
BTW... don't mind if 'other' bikes accompany the 'mascot' but the SOHC chain would have to be maintained.

The log that everyone in the relay will sign and fill in with their info will be a documented "chain of custody" for the little guy won't it?

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
« Reply #295 on: December 21, 2010, 08:13:06 pm »
O.K. then with the rider log... that should work, only a hand-off to an SOHC rider from an SOHC rider, Right?
Or is that tooooo strict  :D.... ( I don't think so, it's all about SOHC's........ would hate it if any other 'brand' got in on the action.... they have plenty of their own sh1t going on.... rant over! ).
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

nomad

« Reply #296 on: December 21, 2010, 08:16:35 pm »
O.K. then with the rider log... that should work, only a hand-off to an SOHC rider from an SOHC rider, Right?
Or is that tooooo strict  :D....

From the get go, I thought that was basically a given.  SOHC's will be the only bikes to carry the little guy.  Otherwise, there's no point in this being a "SOHC4" relay.

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #297 on: December 21, 2010, 08:52:24 pm »
I don't think so, it's all about SOHC's........ would hate it if any other 'brand' got in on the action....

Well, technically, my Virago is SOHC, but it's not a 4, and IMO anyway, 83 isn't "Vintage" enough, so I'll probably be riding my 73, since I'd have to push hard to get the Auto ready in time. And it's not as sporty.... ;D but I agree.. it's a celebration of Honda Fours, and, even at their advanced age, their capability to be ridden across the country. It would be kinda...cheesy? to do the ride on something else and then say, yeah well, I've got one at home. The other challenge, for me anyway, is to cover as much of the route as possible..I'd really like to do the whole west coast, but we'll see..the current plan, while covering all the states, pretty much cuts off the top half of CA and the lower 3/4 of OR but I don't think the timing would work to keep going up the coast after Godzilla heads off to Reno and points east, and then catch back up to him in Portland for the run to the north border. So..I'm still lokknig for a tentatve date of when he'll hit SoCal and then Portland..
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #298 on: December 21, 2010, 09:13:53 pm »
Where did the 'rant' come from? ???

If it was my post, I think if you read it I was speaking of our rally, NOT the relay.  And I was I thought clear that SOHC's would always take the lead in our ON SOHC Rally.  As well they will not be apart of the ride in, past the Mosport gate.  I have my 76 400SS 'as Honda made it', and the 77 550 cafe I am currently finishing to choose from.  I may even have a 750 ready by that time.  Those are the bikes that I will choose from for any part of the Relay that I am involved with.

My rant over.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #299 on: December 22, 2010, 12:23:07 am »
Can we please confine this effort to actual SOHC's ??...... I hate it when folks say they will show-up on their SOHC and then decide to ride their Sportster or something....... Godzilla on a H.D. and I'll vomit  ??? (I may have to be sure I have another SOHC4 along if mine isn't back together and I will if thats the case!) How can we avoid this ?. Make a rule ? Thoughts anyone ?.... I think the 'mascot' shouldn't move forward on the route unless it's on an SOHC.....IMO, how could we ensure this ?

Rule #1 IS - "IT" is only transported only on a SOHC4 PERIOD! while other bikes may join in especially if they are SOHC4.com members or their friends. If "IT" can not be transported on a SOHC4 the whole thing goes down the tube. This is why WE ALL need to enlist our members and/or other SOHC4 riders to join in. Now I would ask that all non-SOHC4.com SOHC4 riders join up. It's free AND easy plus we'd like to have them amongst us.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 12:26:01 am by Jerry Rxman Griffin »