Author Topic: CB750 Drag Racing Tips?  (Read 9984 times)

Offline jweeks

• Hot Shot
Re: CB750 Drag Racing Tips?
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 04:32:55 pm »
The drag strip uses a timing system that most people don't understand. Everyone has seen the Christmas tree, but most don't understand how the timing system works. You can read on the NHRA or IHRA web sites about how it works. If it's the first time on a track for you, I've got some simple advice. Deep stage the bike.(push the bike forward until the top yellow stage light goes out) Leave the starting line after seeing the 3rd yellow light come on. Most new racers are unsure on the starting line, taking a while to get started. There are two different times that affect who wins and who loses. The time it takes you to go from the starting line to the finish line AND your reaction time. Reaction time is how much time it takes you to move the bike forward after the green light comes on. Move forward before the green light and you will redlight (lose). Why leave on the 3rd yellow, when it sounds like you will redlight? The bike doesn't move instantly. You have to decide to let out the clutch, let out the clutch, the rear tire starts rotating and then you start to move forward. By starting that process on the 3rd yellow, the bike actually moves just about when the light goes green. If you start moving after seeing the green light, you've given your opponent about a half second or more advantage. The hardest part of the race is in the first 60'. The time slip that you will get for every run will include your reaction time, 60' time, 330' time, 660' time and mph at that point, and the quarter mile elapsed time and mph.  With practice you can learn how to reduce the 60' times. The right launch rpm, the right heat in the tire, the right tire pressure, the shock settings, and even how you sit on the bike can affect your 60' times. In general, the quicker you go to 60', the quicker your run will be. Getting used to the timing system before you race against the car is what you want. If you can't practice before running him, pay attention to how the racers stage and leave the starting line in front of you.
     Ideally, your gearing will have you running at redline in 5th gear right at the finish line. About 100 mph (+/- 5 mph) The competition will probably be going faster at the finish line. You have to lead the race in the first few hundred feet to have a chance at the finish line. Since a bike weighs a lot less, it is easier to get moving than a ton and a half or more 4 wheel vehicle. Expect to lose the first time out. As you learn more on how to do it, you'll get better at it. Good luck! Always keep your bike under control. It's better to lose a race than become a hood ornament.

Hondamatic
                                                                              (drag racer since 1971) ;D

Offline vanillagorilla

• When did I become a
  • Hot Shot
    • The ole Facebook Profile...
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 04:42:41 pm »
Went riding with a buddy on his triumph. He said he was  doing 106 and I was gaining on him... And I wasn't quite @ redline, either. ;D

And thanks, that was some useful info. I have always tried to have good reaction times @ stoplights(cause I am a dork like that)... So hopefully all my hard work will pay off when I finally go racing for real! The tip on going on the 3rd yellow makes sense. I will try it. Unfortunately, my competition broke his rear end last night testing it. So I will have to wait.
1978 CB750K 1976 Z1 2 Trail 90s

Offline Gearheadgreg

• Hot Shot
  • Jamestown Rhode Island
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 04:54:07 pm »
Sam, lots of reading to due..thanks for that link you posted, i live in New England, 40 miles from Boston, I have worked with trying to open New England raceway here in Rhode Island to get the youth off the streets, i have been in the News here also to help advocate this Raceway, The town counsel meetings have slammed it down several times unfortunately, Drag Racing is big here, our local Ford Dealer is Tasca friends and sponsor for John Force,I worked for Gardena Ice back in the 70's off Normandie ave right down the street from Russ Collins shop, been there seen the Sorcerer in person...Awesome, Also 5 years ago living in Virginia, stopped into Larry Mcbride's shop off Jefferson ave in Newport News on the way home from work, and Larry gave me some technical help with my Blown Valkyrie, But not to be a hypocrite i am guilty of Blowing away many cars and bikes on the street with my grudge bike, been riding Honda's since my new 1966 mini trail 50 LOL!! Cars...Boats...Motorcycles..always got to have More power!!!  here is my Battlecruiser, Ported heads,45 flatslide Mikuni, Magnacharger, Dyna 3000 W/timing retard,Barnet clutch,Racing tuned exhaust, 50 HP shot Nitrous Oxide..ect..ect..195hp total.
2001 Honda Supercharged Valkyrie   <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1218.photobucket.com/user/meloafer/embed/slideshow/"></iframe> Just having some fun

Offline junkyardjon

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2010, 05:34:55 pm »
You will probably run mid to high 13s on a good strip (if your any good. ;D )

Sam. ;)
that about sums it up right there.

Offline vanillagorilla

• When did I become a
  • Hot Shot
    • The ole Facebook Profile...
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2010, 06:56:30 pm »
Gearheadgreg, that is a bad ass valkyrie!
1978 CB750K 1976 Z1 2 Trail 90s

Offline Gearheadgreg

• Hot Shot
  • Jamestown Rhode Island
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2010, 07:10:42 pm »
Gearheadgreg, that is a bad ass valkyrie!
Thanks man.....can't wait to complete my 78 f3 paint tires chain and seat.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:25:15 pm by Gearheadgreg »
2001 Honda Supercharged Valkyrie   <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1218.photobucket.com/user/meloafer/embed/slideshow/"></iframe> Just having some fun

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2010, 08:51:53 pm »
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!! ;D Nice sound,good job...another badass Honda!
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Gearheadgreg

• Hot Shot
  • Jamestown Rhode Island
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2010, 05:31:37 am »
Thanks Bellcow, if ya run across these Old guys here in New England keep clear!! LOL!! we are putting racing cams in this Valk as we speak, before anybody gets upset this tennis court is being converted to a skate park, we were part of the ground breaking ceremony for the youth, we did this for the kids. sorry not to hijack this thread just some Sunday morning entertainment. http://www.youtube.com/user/jayiscool71#p/u/18/6JBGO-26cTw

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2010, 08:54:06 am »
Nothing like the smell and sound of POWER on Sunday morning! ;),Sounds awesome!
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2010, 01:37:29 pm »
The staging can be a tool to adjust what works best for you to get good reaction times.    Just have fun and be carefull.    I havent raced for 5 years but my boy has his license now and has run his truck so might have to get the bike out andhave a few grudge matches braket style.   ;D
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker