Author Topic: Team Mid Atlantic - DEL, NJ, NY, and PA - We are Official Event at Rhinebeck!  (Read 64735 times)

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
Re: TEAM MID ATLANTIC DEL, NJ, NY, and PA
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2011, 06:34:57 pm »
Larry that is great. This is really starting to come together. Now I have to scare up some Del people.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2011, 06:44:54 am »
Bobby,

I did this route  with a map .  From Dover use DE 9 N(coastal somewhat scenic) to DE 72 N.  To PA 896 N which could stop at my place if people need to rest. Then PA 841 N to PA 82 N(both go through the King Ranch). PA 345 N(French Creek State Park) to PA 724 E.  Pick up PA 100/29 N to 22 W(don't know a way around that) to PA 611 N to PA 209 N into Matamoras/Port Jervis...Larry

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2011, 09:32:47 am »
BTW,  there is point on the Mason Dixon Line just a bit south of me where you can be in 3 states at one time. MD, De and PA...Larry

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2011, 10:29:59 am »
BTW,  there is point on the Mason Dixon Line just a bit south of me where you can be in 3 states at one time. MD, De and PA...Larry

That would sure make it easy!
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline drones76

• Enthusiast
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2011, 10:36:59 am »

That would sure make it easy!

Get someone out to the 4 corners and 7 states are covered.  This is going to be a snap.    ;D
1974 Norton Commando Roadster
1980 Goldwing Interstate
1975 Kawasaki KZ400D
Looking for a SOHC-4

Offline cobra2411

• Enthusiast
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2011, 11:21:42 am »
Anybody have any dates - or even guesses at dates? I'm in SE PA not too far from the DE border and if nothing else would love to ride along. I could also bring my camera and take some good pictures.

David

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2011, 12:45:59 pm »
Anybody have any dates - or even guesses at dates? I'm in SE PA not too far from the DE border and if nothing else would love to ride along. I could also bring my camera and take some good pictures.

David
David, the best I can figure is that IT should be here June sometime of we are lucky. That is if it leaves Fla in March. IT has to go up through the Gulf Coast and up into California, then across the Country back to the East Coast. Welcome aboard!!!

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2011, 03:56:45 pm »

David

Where are you in SE PA?  Larry

Offline 736cc

• Master
Re: TEAM MID ATLANTIC DEL, NJ, NY, and PA - Need NYC Riders
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2011, 06:38:24 am »
There are great roads on Eastern Long Island (where I live) all the way to Montauk Point, plus 2 boat ferries to Shelter Island and anoither pair to Connecticut . And I know all the best backroads. Getting to Long Island via Bridgeport, Ct ferry which docks at Port Jefferson, Long Island is an alternative route bypassing NYC bridges (no fun usually except early Sunday mornings). And Orient Point ferry goes to New London, Ct.
I could road captain Long Island if anybody wants to do this route.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:41:11 am by 736cc »

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2011, 10:47:45 am »
You are right about the NYC Bridges. If you can rustle up a few riders from the Island this could work if we could get you handoff in Queens? you could hook up with the New England group. They may be willing to come across on the Ferry and take "IT" back across.

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2011, 11:38:55 am »
Hey 736cc,

I didn't have you on the rider list I maintain but I do now  ;D Thanks for volunteering. I was once a troll under the Verazano  ;D on Ft Hamilton Pkwy. How about shooting me a PM with whatever info you have.

Thanks,
Jerry Griffin
Rally Coordinator
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline weekend_junkie

• I bet you think I'm some
  • Hot Shot
  • Member # 15859
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2011, 12:37:19 pm »
I'm starting to think that I am the only one who LIKES riding across the GWB!  Either way, awesome to see all this interest for the tour!
Dan
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer / 1981 CB900F / 2002 VFR800 / 1973 CB350F / 1973 CB350F mistake / 1976 CB360T Cafe /1976 CB200 Cafe / 1989 GL1500 w/ sidecar / 1949 IMZ w/ sidecar

Offline jakecb420

• Enthusiast
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2011, 08:32:41 pm »
if southwest pennsylvania is in the mix then id like to be part of the ride. maybe within a 100 or so miles of pittsburgh. not real sure on the routings of this adventure though.
750K3 daily driver
76 750F project
74 CB450 donor
79 50cc honda express 2 moped
73 cb500-4
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=73724.0

Offline 05c50

• 05c50
  • Expert
    • Classic Motorcycle Solution
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2011, 08:47:21 pm »
From the original map, the route appears to cross the Ohio border and head east somewhere around the rte 70 corridor, then into Maryland and then east. I don't think anything has been said, but it looks like DC would be next and then up to somewhere around Dover/Newark De. I have plans to be in DC for Rolling Thunder over Memorial Day and right now the estimated time schedule looks like it might hit right on the money. I'm hoping to pick IT up along western Pa border (somewhere) and take IT to DC. I'm hoping the time schedule works, but we'll have to wait and see.

.............Paul
Wear a helmet,the life you save may be your own.Ask me how I know.               CB650C,CB550F,GL1000,CB750A

Offline jakecb420

• Enthusiast
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2011, 09:00:35 pm »
05c50
From the original map, the route appears to cross the Ohio border and head east somewhere around the rte 70 corridor, then into Maryland and then east.

where might one see this original map.  im only 25 minutes away from rt. 70. im definately in if thats the route.
750K3 daily driver
76 750F project
74 CB450 donor
73 cb500-4

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2011, 09:09:39 pm »
The route is fairly loose right now, you make up your own route. The important thing is that we coordinate with the group on either side of us to define the hand off points and the dates and times.  Welcome aboard!!!

Offline jakecb420

• Enthusiast
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2011, 09:24:28 pm »
excellent.
750K3 daily driver
76 750F project
74 CB450 donor
73 cb500-4

Offline 05c50

• 05c50
  • Expert
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2011, 09:25:52 pm »
BobbyR, Am I correct in thinking that plans are being made to leave from somewhere around Dover and head north through NJ and NY? I don't think any decision has been made as far as the Ohio/Pa hand off.

Link to the map is at the bottom of last post:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=81055.0

........Paul
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 09:33:43 pm by 05c50 »
Wear a helmet,the life you save may be your own.Ask me how I know.               CB650C,CB550F,GL1000,CB750A

Offline 05c50

• 05c50
  • Expert
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2011, 05:31:15 am »
James, If the original map is to be trusted, the route heads north through SC, NC, into Virginia and then west to WV.

...............Paul

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2011, 07:33:03 am »
BobbyR, Am I correct in thinking that plans are being made to leave from somewhere around Dover and head north through NJ and NY? I don't think any decision has been made as far as the Ohio/Pa hand off.

Link to the map is at the bottom of last post:  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=81055.0

........Paul
The course is not plotted out at this point, it has been dynamic. As more riders have signed on the route has had to change and probably will continue to change. The Del hand off can take place anywhere in Del or NJ.  The one thing that cannot be unstructured is the hand off times, the riders handing off to you cannot be a day late without letting you know. So we will at some point have to set up a communications chain on a micro and macro level.

On the macro level if there are storms somewhere along the route it will shift the dates of the hand offs further down the line, so, some central place to log that event and spread the word is needed. On a micro level if the rider(s) handing off to you have a flat, they call you. You can wait, or head down their way if they are close enough lend a hand, and take IT forward from there. This thing is huge so there will be a glitch now and then. What a story this will be to tell. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Frankencake

• Yesssssss,
  • Master
  • "I like the old junk"
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2011, 10:28:06 am »
So what exactly is IT?  How big is IT and how much does IT weigh?  Do we have pics of IT?
"Sure, if you don't want that bike in your backyard, I guess I'll take it."  "I'll probably just scrap it......"

Frankencake:  Brotherhood of the unemployed?  What's our secret handshake?

333:  Think "Shakeweight".

Offline 05c50

• 05c50
  • Expert

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2011, 06:24:25 pm »
We have added a new rider. Glenn Stauffer, the man who made this site a reality is joining us. Glenn is in Pa, so we have Pa very well covered. I think we can scratch Matamoras Pa since I chose it when we were really short on riders and I could hit 3 States in a 120 mile loop. If you Pa folks find it appealing, we can work it out.

I truly know nothing about the roads in Pa, so I was wondering if you all can put your heads together and come up with a route from Delaware to NJ. We also need to get IT into Delaware

I do know the Hudson Valley( Westchester, Orange, Putnam and Dutchess County) and some of Northern Jersey.

736 knows Long Island which is truly long hence the name, and he has a great idea about using a Ferry to get into New England. If not I am not far from the Ct Border and can meet up with those folks.  

Your thoughts please.

Offline 05c50

• 05c50
  • Expert
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2011, 06:35:34 pm »
Welcome aboard Steve. As far as I can tell, plans for Pa are sketchy at best. I thought that originally the route would come east out of Ohio and then drop down through Md and then into DC, then east to De. I haven't seen anyone volunteering for the DC area, but I may have missed it. Is there anyone out there for MD,DC,DE?

............Paul

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2011, 11:19:35 pm »
We do have a  DC rider but I don't remember who. Take a peek at the rider list, I think I have him on it.