Author Topic: Team Southwest - OK, TX, NM - Riders check in here  (Read 75138 times)

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Re: Team Southwest Region - OK, TX, NM - Riders check in here
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2010, 10:01:03 pm »
Hey, there's a good BBQ joint along I-20 at the TX-LA border!
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2010, 11:06:11 pm »
Not seeing your routes on google maps, it just pulls up the page with nothing on it
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline BrianAdair

• Hot Shot
  • Oh, so this is where you type the text...
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2010, 08:08:43 am »
Not seeing your routes on google maps, it just pulls up the page with nothing on it

Same here. ???

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2010, 10:06:59 am »
ok,  let me figure this google maps thing out.  The share links don't seem to work. 
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Goofaroo

• general nuisance
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2010, 03:32:47 pm »
I'm here in Oklahoma City and I should have my bike ready by then. Just let me know how I can be of help but keep in mind that I have a job and other commitments so I would need some notice as to when I will be needed. Also, try to have a backup just in case my bike isn't ready but I am really motivated to have it ready by then. I can also offer a place to spend the night and wrench on a bike if that helps anyone. I'm kind of thinking that if someone wants to ride into Oklahoma City, then hand off to me I could head toward Texas or if my bike isn't trustworthy yet, I can at least offer accommodations. Just let me know how I can help.

Offline jcarthel

• K2 Justin
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2010, 03:39:56 pm »
Hi all!  I am Justin located out here in west Texas, just a half hour west of Lubbock, TX.  I want to ride with you guys from Lubbock, TX to at least the New Mexico border.  Any riders are welcome to shower and sleep at my house.  My cell is the best way to communicate with me, 620-952-0034.  Hotmail is the 2nd best way to contact me.  I am really looking forward to riding my k2 750 in the relay!
   jcarthel@hotmail.com

Justin Carthel, near Lubbock, TX

Offline jcarthel

• K2 Justin
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2010, 03:45:46 pm »
Hi again!  I want to add that Artesia, NM can be reached from my house in only about 4 hours.  I hope this info helps in picking the the relay route.

Justin Carthel, Lubbock, TX

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2010, 06:00:41 pm »
Hey Justin and Goofaroo, thanks for checking in! Any and all help is appreciated.
Goofaroo, do you know of any other SOHC owners in OK?
Justin, I had to look at the map to see where Artesia was. Hmm, near Roswell!!! Greg, what do you think about shifting the hand-off point to Roswell? Fastbroshi, how about you?
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Goofaroo

• general nuisance
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2010, 06:23:26 pm »
I know there is another member in Norman. I'll see if I can contact him about getting involved.

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2010, 09:27:28 pm »
Greg, what do you think about shifting the hand-off point to Roswell? Fastbroshi, how about you?

Fine by me
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2011, 10:56:49 am »
Try this link. 
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=200743221569585602370.0004988c233ca0790ae60&ll=33.174342,-101.953125&spn=7.353632,9.876709&t=h&z=7&iwloc=suck
The problem before was my Firefox browser not bringing over the whole link, I think.

I will add a route to Roswell in a few minutes.
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2011, 12:06:52 pm »
You make that look easy! Can you PM a quick tutorial to me? Kinda along the step 1 step 2 step 3 method so an older guy can just push buttons and make it happen  ;D

Thanks
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2011, 05:27:58 pm »
Thanks CBGhia! I pasted the link into the first post in this thread, in order to make it easier to find in the future.
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2011, 06:02:43 pm »
You make that look easy! Can you PM a quick tutorial to me? Kinda along the step 1 step 2 step 3 method so an older guy can just push buttons and make it happen  ;D

Thanks

I'd like a copy of that tutorial, too! I had a heck of a time putting myself on the forum member map. After 5 or 6 tries, I finally got my location at least close to where I am. I think... ;)

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2011, 11:32:33 pm »
Scottly clued me in on the ride.
Cross over from NM near Duncan AZ sounds like a plan...
But, what is the path across AZ and what state are we connecting with? California? Nevada? Colorado?

If my shoulder is healed and my bike's roadworthy I'd love to join the relay.
I broke my right shoulder in a fall in mid-Nov and I've been ordered to stay off the bikes until spring.
'78 Honda CX500 is streetable currently whereas the CA95, C70, and S90 are in storage in TN (long story).
The '75 CB550 is the current project. I've got front end work to do and some minor electrical and expect to have it streetable by March or maybe early April at the latest.
New Bridgestone hi-perf tires are on, so that expense is covered.
Just have a pair of front rotors to have drilled and calipers to rebuild. Have all the front end parts to go dual front disc except the braided lines to calipers. Have a pair of calipers and the caliper rebuild parts with phenolic pistons.
I do need a good right headlamp bracket, mine's pranged and it has the turn signal mounted on the headlamp bracket so it is a 1 or 2 year only version...  I think it is the right and not the left that I need. Bought one replacement but was outbid on the other.

Is there a Team Southwest Region thread that includes AZ?

David
RAFster122S
David- back in the desert SW!

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2011, 10:37:09 am »
RAFster,

Great to have you onboard! AZ is assigned to Team CA for that corner of the map. Please get in touch with MyCB750K6 / Myles. He indicated a topic notification problem so you might want to PM or email him directly.

Jerry
Rally Coordinator 

Offline taxiscooter

• Enthusiast
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2011, 09:32:32 am »
Tulsa OK.     750k7   can ride Okla, mebbe Ark.  Slot me in. Keep in mind it snows and ices up in March and sometimes April here.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 09:36:38 am by taxiscooter »

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2011, 06:20:40 pm »
Welcome taxiscooter!!!! I saw that you also posted on the adjoining team's thread. Good thinking on your part!
Scott

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2011, 06:17:48 pm »
Old School has proposed a schedule:
enter OK 4/17
enter TX 4/20
enter NM 4/25
enter AZ 4/28
This is totally subject to change, so look at your calendars, and feel free to throw in your .02!

Offline medic09

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2011, 08:19:10 pm »
Greg is right that we're in Israel for a couple of weeks from mid-April.  Shame I can't take the mascot for a quick meetup with our only Israel-located member, Jona, for a quick ride in Jerusalem or Haifa.

BTW, we ought to get photos of the mascot at different interesting or significant sites as it passes through.

I'm lurking on this conversation since I may not be available.  If it looks like I'll be around, then I can always quickly join up with Greg for the ride (if I can keep up with him).  Alternatively, I could maybe go up to CO to hook up with Jerry if the dates are right.
Mordechai

'78 CB750K
'76 Triumph T160 Trident (rebuilding)
'07 aprilia Caponord

Santa Fe, NM

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2011, 08:35:34 pm »
Got you in my sites Medic  ;)

Offline gregimotis

• poet laureate; SOHC4.
  • Expert
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2011, 09:34:26 pm »
I'm not posting much this week for time constraints, but I'm checking in most days.
"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2011, 08:35:52 am »
Alright, I'm officially in!  Sorry it took so long.  This was our first holiday season with my family since way before our kids were born, so it was a HUGE deal for everybody, and then the selling of our house in Denver that closed on New Year's eve, and then four birthdays just in the first half of January, so I've been a little busy, but now I can start looking a little farther into the future. :)

The biggest hurdle I see right now is the vast expanse of West Texas between I-35 and the panhandle.  We seem to have plenty of members in the Dallas and Austin area, and Justin in Lubbock, but nobody in the 350 miles in-between.  We need some folks in the Abilene or San Angelo areas, and possibly Midland-Odessa, too.  

I propose going South from the DFW area via 377 to 281 through Stephenville, and then meeting up the the Austin-area riders in either Johnson City or Fredricksburg.  There's some good BBQ in that part of the state ;), and it's great hill-country riding.  The problem then is getting it from there all the way to Lubbock.

For now, all I can really commit to is riding down to the Fredricksburg area.  We either need somebody who lives in the vicinity of San Angelo to come get it, or somebody in the Austin area to ride as far as Justin would be willing to ride South-East to meet them.  

I thought I remembered somebody being from around there, or maybe Big Spring, but I don't know who it was. :-\

Edit:  I didn't look at the map of proposed routes first. ::)  DFW to Junction could work, too, but it would be up to the Austin folks as to how far West they'll want to ride to meet the others. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 08:41:16 am by Gordon »

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2011, 10:32:27 am »
We haven't  really seen a lot of interest from down south.  We have 5 days in Texas, so we could cover a lot of the state if we wanted.  We have folks from DFW, Lindell, and Lubbock, but not really anywhere else yet.  Maybe as the date gets closer we could find some.  I would love to make a trip down to the hill country and then go back up towards Lubbock myself, but if we don't have anyone from there to hand-off to.  *shrugs*

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2011, 10:52:58 am »
We haven't  really seen a lot of interest from down south.  We have 5 days in Texas, so we could cover a lot of the state if we wanted.  We have folks from DFW, Lindell, and Lubbock, but not really anywhere else yet.  Maybe as the date gets closer we could find some.  I would love to make a trip down to the hill country and then go back up towards Lubbock myself, but if we don't have anyone from there to hand-off to.  *shrugs*

We've got Justin in Lubbock.  If he's willing to ride a little ways South East to meet up with you then we may have that gap covered.  It would still be nice to find some others from that area, though.