Author Topic: Team Southwest - OK, TX, NM - Riders check in here  (Read 74470 times)

Offline goaarongo

• Enthusiast
  • zen and the art of angle grinding
Re: Team Southwest - OK, TX, NM - Riders check in here
« Reply #400 on: April 13, 2011, 11:10:35 am »
Attn Campers -
Still finalizing the location for the night of the 20th.  Options include:
Lago Vista (near lake travis and fairly close to Austin)
Blanco State Park (on HWY 281 for Dallas or Houston folks)
Somewhere around Fredericksburg?  (couple options there)

Thoughts or ideas? 

Offline climbingaz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #401 on: April 13, 2011, 11:25:56 am »
Any new news about the leg across New Mexico?

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #402 on: April 13, 2011, 06:43:02 pm »
Time for another roll-call. Who is going as far as Big Spring and west? Are we going to be able to get Godzilla across west Texas?
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline ofreen

• Old Timer
« Reply #403 on: April 13, 2011, 09:50:19 pm »

I tented it at Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park in Fredericksburg a couple of years ago.  It is decent.  Facilities with showers, etc. and price a lot more reasonable than a typical KOA tent site these days.
Greg
'75 CB750F

"I would rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." - Dr. Wei-Hock Soon

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #404 on: April 14, 2011, 06:08:38 am »
Attn Campers -
Still finalizing the location for the night of the 20th.  Options include:
Lago Vista (near lake travis and fairly close to Austin)
Blanco State Park (on HWY 281 for Dallas or Houston folks)

Thoughts or ideas? 

Fredericksburg may be too far if the Team is running late from Houston. It would be best not to ride The Hill Country roads at night, the deer are more active (I recently hit one w/my truck)
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline goaarongo

• Enthusiast
  • zen and the art of angle grinding
« Reply #405 on: April 14, 2011, 08:10:02 am »
Vote for your preferred stop in Austin on the night of the 20th here:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=87383.new#new

Please vote! We want to try to get a head count.

Offline the architect

• Hot Shot
« Reply #406 on: April 14, 2011, 08:56:54 am »
Personally, I'm good with with whatever the Auatin folks recommend.

On a related note, I've got some accommodations in Houston for people who may need a place to crash.  Can I get a head count / roll call for anyone who may be looking for a place in H-town for the night of the 19th - that's Tuesday, after the Ace Motorworks shindig.  A soft bed or couch and a hot shower will be just the thing before heading to the Hill Country.
Rider no. 83 on the 2013 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour
Rider no. 228 on the 2012 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour
Rider no. 70 on the 2011 SOHC/4 Honda World Tour

my '75 CB750 cafe build photo documentary:  looking for the Lone Stars is like playing Where's Waldo -- enjoy.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34828040@N05/sets/72157615892537535/

CB350 twin, rigid meat grinder:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34828040@N05/sets/72157627005176764/

Blip Workshop
http://www.blipworkshop.com
http://www.facebook.com/blipworkshop

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #407 on: April 15, 2011, 06:23:42 am »

On a related note, I've got some accommodations in Houston for people who may need a place to crash.  Can I get a head count / roll call for anyone who may be looking for a place in H-town for the night of the 19th - that's Tuesday, after the Ace Motorworks shindig.  A soft bed or couch and a hot shower will be just the thing before heading to the Hill Country.

Count me in! 
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline the architect

• Hot Shot
« Reply #408 on: April 15, 2011, 09:31:15 am »
I've gotcha down!  It'll be good to see you again.

Count me in! 

my '75 CB750 cafe build photo documentary:  looking for the Lone Stars is like playing Where's Waldo -- enjoy.

Blip Workshop

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #409 on: April 15, 2011, 10:21:57 am »
Alright, so do we have a time and place we're meeting up in Austin?  I'm planning on rolling into town either around noon or in the mid afternoon.  Getting to Austin anytime between that will have me trying to get through and out of Dallas smack in the middle of morning rush-hour, and that ain't gonna happen. 

Offline the architect

• Hot Shot
« Reply #410 on: April 15, 2011, 02:44:26 pm »
Good question!  This means you won't be rolling through Houston the previous day, correct?  Leaving Houston in the morning, Austin-bound, shouldn't take too long.  It's just under 2-1/2 hours by car, so adding a little for bike travel should still have us there by noon, I would think.

Austin folks:  Where should we meet up?  We do, say, noon-ish at some place on S. Congress, so everyone can eat lunch and get acquainted. 

Alright, so do we have a time and place we're meeting up in Austin?  I'm planning on rolling into town either around noon or in the mid afternoon.  Getting to Austin anytime between that will have me trying to get through and out of Dallas smack in the middle of morning rush-hour, and that ain't gonna happen. 

Blip Workshop

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #411 on: April 16, 2011, 06:58:21 am »
Good question!  This means you won't be rolling through Houston the previous day, correct?  Leaving Houston in the morning, Austin-bound, shouldn't take too long.  It's just under 2-1/2 hours by car, so adding a little for bike travel should still have us there by noon, I would think.

Austin folks:  Where should we meet up?  We do, say, noon-ish at some place on S. Congress, so everyone can eat lunch and get acquainted. 

Correct, I will be riding straight to Austin from Dallas on the 20th.  I think the place shown below would be a good spot to meet up.  I was just there last October.  It's a large, open lot on the corner of S. Congress and E. Milton St. behind a few food/dessert trailers and directly across or down the street from several restaurants.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=78722&sll=33.068535,-96.763135&sspn=0.01194,0.026157&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Austin,+Texas+78722&ll=30.247374,-97.75001&spn=0.002176,0.004292&t=h&z=19

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #412 on: April 16, 2011, 07:40:42 am »
The suggested Lago Vista camp site is a private POA park, and I have three spots reserved, enough for 6 tents and 12? guys. I can cancel at any time w/o penalty if plans change.
It is just across the lake from Pace Bend Park. If we're looking for a camp to get wild w/loud music and loud partying all night, this is not it.
For those who would rather hotel it, there is a new LaQuinta in Cedar Park about 20 min away.

Here are some pics:

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline jacksonc

« Reply #413 on: April 16, 2011, 12:37:24 pm »
Hello guys, I'm in College Station TX with a 1975 cb400f. I've been reading many pages of this tread but having a hard time putting it all together in my head. It looks like some people are driving around a toy godzilla on SOHCs ? and are stopping in Austin on the 20th ? If so I would be interested in driving over there, either on my bike or I can load the bike in my van and camp in the van over night. Hit me back, Jackson

Offline the architect

• Hot Shot
« Reply #414 on: April 16, 2011, 01:06:59 pm »
You never know what debauchery is to follow, and we're better safe than sorry. I would think that a place that isn't too busy, maybe a bit out of the way, might be just the thing.

Also, a question:  Approximately what time will the ride make Houston?  I want to make sure everything is ready ahead of time. Please toss a ballpark time out.

Howdy, Jackson!  We'd love to have you along for the ride - as much or as little as you're able to join!  As a rough summary, the ride will depart Dallas on Tuesday (April 19th) and arrive in Houston later that day. We will have a reception / party at Ace Motorworks that afternoon / evening. Wednesday (20th) the ride will depart Houston in the morning, headed for Austin. I'd think we should be there by noon. We'll meet up with our Austin brothers, have to lunch and get-to-know-ya time. Later, we head into the Hill Country to camp for the night (see the recent posts from goaarongo and Steve-O). Thursday (21st), there's more Hill Country riding (possibly Luchenbach, Fredericksburg, etc) and heading toward the north toward Big Spring.

Join as early on the route as you like!  The more bikes the better!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 01:29:33 pm by the architect »

Blip Workshop

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #415 on: April 16, 2011, 03:42:33 pm »
I know of another County park, it is right on Lake Travis, a bit out of the way but primitive (no showers, electric, etc). This may suit us better:

http://www.co.travis.tx.us/tnr/parks/arkansas_bend.asp

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #416 on: April 16, 2011, 08:11:18 pm »
Welcome to the relay, Jackson!! Send a PM to Jerry so you can be added to the list of riders.
architect, are you going as far as Big Spring, or even further west?
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #417 on: April 16, 2011, 10:03:38 pm »
Welcome to the relay, Jackson!! Send a PM to Jerry so you can be added to the list of riders.
architect, are you going as far as Big Spring, or even further west?

Already picked him up  ;)
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline jcarthel

• K2 Justin
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #418 on: April 17, 2011, 03:13:47 pm »
Hi all!  This is Justin up in Lubbock with some questions.  I am ready to meet up with the relay!  Questions:

1. Do I meet the relay in Big Spring or Lubbock?  I need a date, a time, and a place.

2.  Where is the next handoff point after Godzilla is in my care?  Once again, I do need a date, a time, and a place.

3.  Are any of you Austin, Dallas, or Houston guys, etc. going to ride hard?  Aka, are any of you going to ride with me into New Mexico?  Someone needs to please step up because I would really enjoy the company!

Justin, in Lubbock, TX

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #419 on: April 17, 2011, 03:27:13 pm »
Now I know all you Texas, etc guys understand the lingo, who has the cajones to ride with Justin?! If he's willing to do this then surely someone/someones will ride with him! 
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #420 on: April 17, 2011, 05:37:06 pm »
Now I know all you Texas, etc guys understand the lingo, who has the cajones to ride with Justin?! If he's willing to do this then surely someone/someones will ride with him!

I'd ride all the way to the end if I could!  Unfortunately I have to be at work at 7am on Friday, and then there's the whole two-small-children-at-home thing.  Nobody ever told me they were going to need so much looking after!  When it was just the cat I could go away for a week and leave a big bowl of food and water, and she was fine.  Apparently that's frowned upon with children. >:( >:( ;D

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #421 on: April 17, 2011, 07:54:40 pm »
I am not sure how far I am going yet.  I am down for Dallas to Houston to Austin and maybe to Big Spring. From there, it depends on how the bike is holding up.  I have never taken her on a trip this long and I would like to make it home. Lol.

So what time are we leaving Dallas and where exactly are we meeting?  I was thinking that we should roll out early, and meet in south Arlington or someplace central like that.
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #422 on: April 17, 2011, 08:07:40 pm »
The Dallas/Houston/Austin guys should keep in contact by text since I doubt everyone has a smartphone or is bringing a laptop.

Ghia - why don't you pm your # to architect,
Architect - pm your # to goaarongo,
Goaarongo - I'll pm you my #,
Gordon - do you have anyone's #?

PS. I know of a floating bar/restaurant near the camp site that might be worth checking out, it's called The Gnarly Gar (cool name!)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:12:41 pm by Stev-o »

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #423 on: April 17, 2011, 09:20:36 pm »
Justin, thanks for checking in!
CBGhia, are any of you considering a support vehicle to extend your range? Only one SOHC can carry the lizard at a time.. With a support truck/trailer, no worries about a break-down. It's a relay, after all: riders are supposed to take turns.

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #424 on: April 17, 2011, 11:29:02 pm »
So, you guys riding from Houston to Austin, will you be taking 290 or 71 into town? 

If I can get on the road early enough on Wednesday I may try to catch up with the group somewhere along the route before you get to Austin.