Author Topic: Team Southwest - OK, TX, NM - Riders check in here  (Read 74439 times)

Offline climbingaz

• Hot Shot
Re: Team Southwest - OK, TX, NM - Riders check in here
« Reply #525 on: April 22, 2011, 08:06:09 pm »
Haven't heard from Justin yet, but I gotta assume Godzilla will be sleeping in Las Cruces tonight assuming he didn't have any problems.

Not 100% sure yet, but I'm hoping Justin will do the handoff with me Sunday morning in Lordsburg, NM.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #526 on: April 22, 2011, 09:50:21 pm »

Not 100% sure yet, but I'm hoping Justin will do the handoff with me Sunday morning in Lordsburg, NM.
Me too!!! I would much rather leave Tempe to ride home to Humboldt late Sunday, than brave the freeways Monday morning!!!!
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #527 on: April 22, 2011, 10:06:15 pm »
Get on out there and meet him tomorrow.  That will give you an extra day, and he won't be stuck in LC killing time.
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #528 on: April 22, 2011, 10:12:24 pm »
The way things went today, I'll be doing good to make it to Tempe late tomorrow!! >:(
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline climbingaz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #529 on: April 23, 2011, 06:51:38 am »
The way things went today, I'll be doing good to make it to Tempe late tomorrow!! >:(

I'll be picking up the Uhaul around 4pm....any idea what time I should expect you?

Offline climbingaz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #530 on: April 23, 2011, 11:53:32 am »
Just got off the phone with Justin.  He took it a little easy yesterday and made it to Artesia, NM and spent the night.  Today he is pushing for Lordsburg, NM.  We hope to meet him there tomorrow around 11am to do the handoff.

Justin gets my vote for LONE RANGER of the rally!  He'll be doing close to 1,000 miles and all SOLO!!! :o

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #531 on: April 23, 2011, 03:00:04 pm »
Justin's doing a great job. It's guys like Justin that we can not do without! Way to go Justin  ;D
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #532 on: April 23, 2011, 05:13:29 pm »
Well, here is he full story of my adventure.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=87859.new#new
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline climbingaz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #533 on: April 24, 2011, 06:03:49 am »
And so it begins.......It's about 6am here Arizona time....hittin' the road!  ;D

Should meet up with Justin in Lordsburg sometime around 11am.  ;)

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #534 on: April 24, 2011, 09:52:47 am »
Have a good ride AZ.

What's your weather like? Hoping the routing and timing are panning out. And I'm hoping the weather changes here in the next 7 days before I head out - been snowing, cold wet spring snow.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #535 on: April 24, 2011, 10:30:28 am »
How did the hand-off go?  Everything OK?

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #536 on: April 24, 2011, 08:16:28 pm »
Handoff went well. Justin met us (Shawn (climbingAZ), Scott (Scotly), and myself (RAFster122S))  at a place to eat in Lordsburg around 11:35AM New Mexico time.  We had a bite to eat and enjoyed our time with Justin chatting about the ride and various other topics. Then it was time to hit the road and continue Godzilla's Ride. We said our good byes and wished Justin well with a strong wind to his back now he was heading East and we faced a 25-30 mph estimated wind to our faces and cross wind from time  to time.  Shawn rode for about 40 miles or so before giving me a turn. Let's say my ride is probably the shortest as my 6' 4" frame doesn't fit his 750 with clubmans and no rearsets.

Scott and I continued in chase averaging around 65mph due to the headwinds and returned to Wilcox where we met up this morning. I bid Shawn and Scott safe travels and good speed and we parted company around 3:30PM AZ time.

David
RAFster122S
Sierra Vista, AZ
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #537 on: April 24, 2011, 08:56:49 pm »
So, we had no NM riders?

Thanks for the update.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #538 on: April 24, 2011, 09:02:31 pm »
So, we had no NM riders?

Thanks for the update.

Looks that way.  That's too bad.

Thanks for getting Zilla across the state, guys! :)

Offline climbingaz

• Hot Shot
« Reply #539 on: April 24, 2011, 09:10:23 pm »
So, we had no NM riders?

Thanks for the update.

No NM riders.  Made it home to Tempe, AZ safe and sound.  Too tired to recap my ride right now, but a HUGE thanks to RAFster and Scottly.  Without their help and the incredible effort put forth by JCarthel, Godzilla would have been shipped to AZ in the back of a UPS truck.

Scottly just left my house a few minutes ago with Godzilla.  He should be home (Humboldt, AZ) by 11pm.

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #540 on: April 24, 2011, 10:59:07 pm »
Whew, that was close. You guys kick ass! Thank everyone of you for the dedication! Sweet dreams Scottly. Have a safe trip Monday. Another state in the books!

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #541 on: April 25, 2011, 12:00:39 am »
Too tired to sleep!!!! After gassing up and gagging down a taco, I left Tempe at 9:15, and got back home at 10:55. 98 map miles. When I got up to 3000 foot elevation, it started getting rather cool. I hadn't dressed for night travel. When I got home (4500') the temp was 45. Now that I think about it, wrong thread! :-[

Back on topic: it was great meeting Shawn, David, and Justin. Godzilla covered some miles today: maybe 450 plus? Highly recommend the use of a support vehicle!!!!!

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #542 on: April 25, 2011, 12:33:21 am »
Hand-off in Lordsburg NM. Justin (Jcarthel) in front, Shawn (climbingaz) in rear.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #543 on: April 25, 2011, 12:59:12 am »
Shawn, David, and I were waiting at the restaurant where we were supposed to meet Justin, when we saw an SOHC pull into the gas station across the street. I ran across the street and snapped this pic just as he pulled up to the pump. From the look on his face, I thought it might not be Justin for a second.  ;)     

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #544 on: April 25, 2011, 05:36:52 am »
Well Done Gentlemen!!
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #545 on: April 25, 2011, 05:52:10 am »
With the last hand-off complete and G in Arizona, it is safe to say that we have done our part.  Thank you to everyone who participated, or provided support in one form or another! 

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #546 on: April 25, 2011, 08:55:38 am »
With the last hand-off complete and G in Arizona, it is safe to say that we have done our part.  Thank you to everyone who participated, or provided support in one form or another! 
Joe, you and Justin did a fantastic job!!!!! Thanks for making it happen!!!
Scott

Offline Coyote13

• Hot Shot
« Reply #547 on: April 25, 2011, 09:01:24 am »
Haven't even looked at this thread since I realized I wouldn't be able to ride, just too depressing.  Just wanted to say well done TX guys, I knew you'd be able to get this thing done.  I am so pissed I didn't get to participate, but I guess that's just life. 
'78 CB750K.  Throttle ripper.
'71 CB100.  Grocery getter.
'01 XL883.  Panty dropper. Gone but not forgotten.

Offline goaarongo

• Enthusiast
  • zen and the art of angle grinding
« Reply #548 on: April 25, 2011, 05:16:57 pm »
A little late to post, but here are a few pictures I snapped when the relay came through Austin/Lago Vista.  Had a blast hanging out with you guys - been wrapping my phone in tinfoil ever since.

Relay champ - and cool guy - Joe.

Ghad-zee-rahhh takes a ride with Chris (the architect).

More evidence that Tom is awesome.

Gordon surveys the campsite.

Just the bikes - but if you look real close, I think you can see Stev-o way in the back ground.  Best campsite ever Steve!

Thanks again dudes - my garage doors are always open. 

Offline jcarthel

• K2 Justin
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #549 on: April 25, 2011, 07:29:58 pm »
Just got back home to Texas a couple of hours ago.  From Lamesa, TX to Lordsburg, NM, and back home to Texas my sohc four performed flawlessly!  Just put my bike in the garage.  She has 1,000 miles under her belt in just four days!  I am proud of her!  How many 40 year old bikes could do this without so much as a hiccup!  Going west with Godzilla, I averaged around 33mpg going uphill and into the wind.  I had an all time low of 28 mpg going 70 mph into a 30 mph headwind right before the handoff in Lordsburg, NM! Over the 500 miles coming home, I had a tailwind.  Going home my mpg was 45, 47, 54, 51, 38, and 50 with speeds ranging from 60 to 75 mph.  Coming home, the 54 mpg was an all time best for me and my bike!  So I got my best and worst mpg on the same trip!  Thank god for the reliability and dependability of an sohc four because I was all alone for 1,000 miles!                    Justin Carthel, Littlefield, TX