Author Topic: Team South - AL, AR, KY, LA, MS, TN  (Read 55645 times)

Offline Tugboat

• Puppet
  • Master
  • '75 CB750K + '67 CL90 + '71 CT90
    • PseudoMoto
Re: TEAM AL,AR,KY,LA,MS,TN
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 01:53:08 pm »
Keep track of "big picture" stuff here:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=81055.0

Looks like our leg will be towards the end of March or early April. Exact dates TBD.
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing twice.

Offline Tugboat

• Puppet
  • Master
    • PseudoMoto

Offline JAG

• Expert
  • '74 CB750K, '72 CB500, '76 550K
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2011, 11:05:26 am »
I still havent been to that museum either.. So that route and the idea to stop off at the museum is a good idea to me.

I give it two thumbs up.. ;D
Cafe Racing is mainly a matter of taste. It is an atavistic mentality, a peculiar mix of low style, high speed, pure dumbness, and overweening commitment to the Cafe Life and all its dangerous pleasures. I am a Cafe Racer myself, on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions. ~H. S. Thompson~

Offline kpier883

• is quite the
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2011, 05:34:33 pm »
Scottly, cross your fingers that Coke gets his bike ready.
Tugboat, that sounds great, I'll ride some of the way with you.  We may have to run a little south of B'ham, I think Kpier wants to get in on a leg.  NikkiSix may bring it in from WVA through KY and into TN.

If any of you guys know any members in KY, LA, or AR, let me know and I'll PM them.

We're getting closer, but right now it's looking like a four or five man effort for 6 states.

Yes, I am definitely planning to be involved.  I can meet at Barber's and ride with others or alone, no problem either way.  I can definitely make Jackson, MS - I think the path is to Jackson, then into Arkansas and on to Oklahoma.

Do we have someone in Mississippi?
74 CB750
80 CBX
82 KZ1000 K2 (LTD)
57 1/2 ton chevy

Offline kpier883

• is quite the
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2011, 05:39:51 pm »
Scottly, cross your fingers that Coke gets his bike ready.
Tugboat, that sounds great, I'll ride some of the way with you.  We may have to run a little south of B'ham, I think Kpier wants to get in on a leg.  NikkiSix may bring it in from WVA through KY and into TN.

If any of you guys know any members in KY, LA, or AR, let me know and I'll PM them.

We're getting closer, but right now it's looking like a four or five man effort for 6 states.

Guys, for some reason I had the route wrong at one point.  I thought the route was coming from Mississippi into Alabama.  Now I know that it is from TN to AL to MS.  I am in Birmingham and can pick up here and go west.  No need to drop further south on my account.  Sorry for the confusion.
74 CB750
80 CBX
82 KZ1000 K2 (LTD)
57 1/2 ton chevy

Offline kpier883

• is quite the
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, 05:43:41 pm »
I still havent been to that museum either.. So that route and the idea to stop off at the museum is a good idea to me.

Don't want to sidetrack the topic, but it would be really cool if anyone has a connection at Barbers that could secure us a lap of the track with IT as it makes its way through Alabama.  Just sayin...   ;D
74 CB750
80 CBX
82 KZ1000 K2 (LTD)
57 1/2 ton chevy

Offline pidaster

• Enthusiast
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2011, 01:56:56 pm »
For those who were asking about the Natchez Trace Parkway, it is a nice ride. It's mostly flat and relatively straight. Speed limit is 55mph and it is enforced. I've driven from Jackson, MS to Tupelo, MS many times and have gone into the edge of TN on it. Definitely a scenic route with plenty of rest stops and Indian mounds to look at. You don't want to ride it much at night, as somebody else pointed out, due to wildlife. Most of the land around it is wooded or open fields, no homes. Many people take the Trace during the fall to check out the foliage.
'76 CB750K
'82 CB450SC
'06 Vulcan 900
'98 Kawasaki Police 1000
'73 CB350 twin

Offline jtb

• An unlikely
  • Expert
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2011, 04:51:17 pm »

Don't want to sidetrack the topic, but it would be really cool if anyone has a connection at Barbers that could secure us a lap of the track with IT as it makes its way through Alabama.  Just sayin...   ;D

I'm workin on it.  Any laps they do for something like this are at lunch time during whatever is scheduled that day.  When I hear back, I'll post it.  It would be neat to do the pass in front of the Sandcast CB 750.
1977 CB750F
1985 V65 Sabre
1986 VFR 750 (gone but missed greatly)

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2011, 05:57:45 pm »
It would be even neater if they got that Sandcast out for exercise and took "IT" for a lap OR take that CR750 out for a lap.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Tugboat

• Puppet
  • Master
    • PseudoMoto

Offline Tugboat

• Puppet
  • Master
    • PseudoMoto
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 02:24:14 pm »

Offline MidTNJasonF

• Enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 09:18:06 pm »
I get about 714 miles on your Route Tug. That is with a couple tweaks to waypoints around cities. That would be 1288 miles for me to round trip it if I stuck to the interstate from Nashville to Barber and Little Rock back to Nashville. How many days were you thinking of taking to do this? How many miles a day is the general plan for the folks taking on sections of the route?

I might actually go up to Bowling Green to meet the rider(s) and go on down to the Barber Museum. Then follow on to Jackson, MS but break off there to head to Natchez, MS and take the Natchez Trace Parkway back up to Nashville. Still 1217 miles but a more scenic and enjoyable return route.
1972 Honda CB450
1973 Honda CB350
1996 Suzuki GSF600N
1996 Suzuki GSF600S

Offline Radam

• taco racer
  • Master
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011, 06:05:13 am »
I was just thinking. If it would be better to meet in Hot Springs we wouldn't have to back track to get over to hw270 for a nicer, non interstate, ride. I'm down to meet wherever though. Should we go from AR to OKC or Tulsa? I doesn't matter to me. What do the AR OK riders think?

Offline Tugboat

• Puppet
  • Master
    • PseudoMoto
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011, 07:37:13 am »
I'm originally from Shreveport and have family there, which is why I was thinking about heading all the way to NW LA. Was also thinking about seeing if we could get someone to put us up there for a night. But whatever the group wants to do is fine of course. Just throwing all of this out there to get the discussion going. I checked the "next leg's" thread the other day and didn't see that they'd started planning the AR --> OK meet-up.

Jason - I was thinking a week total. No more than 250-300 miles per day. That will make ride times about 5 hours which is fine with me. The seat on my 750 is WAY better than the one on my KZ!!  :D  Again, whatever the group wants to do. The Trace back would be awesome.. I'm just trying to make sure that IT can get up to AR to meet up with Radam. Far as I know there aren't any Louisiana folks in our group.

Does everyone want to do the museum at Barber? And can we camp there? Speaking of which, are we going to try to camp mostly or do we also need to budget for hotels along the way? I don't mind piling into one room with 4 other dudes & sleeping on the floor but that's just me... If we do have to hotel it I vote we find small towns that have hotels within walking distance of the local watering hole  ::)

Offline Silverback

• Hot Shot
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2011, 06:55:02 am »
It looks like I will be jumping in to help with the KY leg. The routing seems a bit confusing, as I was told that I would probably participate in getting the baton to TN. I'm not sure where it's coming from. I'm in the middle and not adverse to riding all day, but MO is a bit too far for me to do. Did somebody mention Bowling Green?
Chris
"It's hard to define soul. You get it in art. You get it in music, and occasionally you get it in machinery."
78 CB750F racer
78 CB750F stock
75 CB750K Baby Blue Sold (She was a great bike!)
71 CB750K (rusty rod)
77 cb550F Sold :(  Bought it Back :)
Basket case 73 CB750, 77 CB750F (Building now)
01 Aprilia Falco
76 kz400
96 BMW K1100LT

Offline jtb

• An unlikely
  • Expert
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2011, 01:53:54 pm »
Communication with Barber Museum Executive director.  The sooner we have a hand-off date and schedule the easier to get a trip around the track.

Hi John,

The concept of the ride and token pass is unique!

The Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum will be honored to be a site for part of this venture.  I will work with you to accomplish all of your hopes but........April is the busiest month we have on our schedule, with our Indy Car race taking center stage. Anything planed on from April 5 through April 12 would be near imposable to pull off with out difficulty here. Outside of that, the museum involvement would be simple.

As for track (.....ride the token around the track.) this will require some work. Every day in April is rented to someone. Once you have a date or window of time is established I may be able to request a moment from the renter during a lunch break. if a renter takes one, to accomplish this.

I hope I have not been to discouraging!

Sincerely,

Jeff Ray
Executive Director
The Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum
6030 Barber Motorsports Parkway
Leeds, Alabama 35094
Ph. 205-699-7275
Fax 205-702-8700

Sent: Friday, January 21, 2011 7:44 AM
To: Jeff Ray
Subject: SOHC/4 Relay across America
Good Morning, Jeff. 

The SOHC/4 group is an internet club for owners and riders of 4 cylinder, single overhead cam engine Honda motorcycles built between 1969 and 1978.  Worldwide, the membership is approximately 5,000.

Late in 2010, one of our members came up with the idea of having a ride, done entirely on vintage Honda 4 cylinder SOHC motorcycles across the US and Canada.  The idea is to carry a token through every state in the continental US, and every province in Canada.  The relay will start from Daytona some time during bike week, and go up the coast to VA, into WVA, and back down this way.  In addition to the token, there will be a scroll to be signed by each rider, and to record the detail of each pass of the token.  I agreed that this was a great idea, and found myself appointed coordinator for KY,TN,AL,MS,LA, and AR.

I had planned all along to pass the token in front of the Museum.  I would like to have a larger interaction with the museum if possible, maybe pass the token in front of the Sandcast CB750, maybe ride the token around the track once, if possible.

The ride through AL will take place sometime in April, I’ll know more toward the end of Feb about actual dates.  I hope that this tweaks your interest, and that you all would like to get involved in some way with us.  I’ll stay in touch as I know more, and please email or call me if you have any questions.

Thanks,

John Baldridge

jtb@softbal-inc.com
205-243-4354

1977 CB750F
1985 V65 Sabre

Offline MidTNJasonF

• Enthusiast
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2011, 08:12:02 pm »
Silverback - I mentioned Bowling Green as a the possible point I pick up the caravan if it happens to follow through that area near I-65. Franklin, KY near I-65 would also be an option for me. I have not seen a proposed route for KY yet but the overall picture map shows things coming through the general center of Kentucky and Tennessee.

At a minimum I will ride from Nashville to Barber in AL but right now would like to follow along from the Tennesse/Kentucky state line down to Alabama and over to Jackson, MS. Since I will not be on a SOHC (unless one mysteriously shows up in my garage) I will not be an official passer of the baton but want to follow along anyway.

JTB - The proposed schedule show the route in Alabama on April 5th so that puts things right on top of when Jeff said things might be tough to coordinate at the Museum. Maybe we should do what we can to push the date up a day or two to make things easier but that may cause problems for other regions for the sake of one stop on an otherwise very long route.

Tug - There is not normally camping available at Barber unless there is an event there and you have paid your fees. 29 Dreams is closed and that was the only other near by camping that I was aware of. I can put out a feeler to a friend that lives in Leeds and see if he knows of other good camping or cheap but clean hotel near Barber.

I have about 4 trips planned this year so I would like to keep my participation in the hand off to about four days if I can. I need to preserve some vacation days for the other trips this year.
1972 Honda CB450
1973 Honda CB350
1996 Suzuki GSF600N
1996 Suzuki GSF600S

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2011, 10:49:49 pm »
It looks like I will be jumping in to help with the KY leg. The routing seems a bit confusing, as I was told that I would probably participate in getting the baton to TN. I'm not sure where it's coming from. I'm in the middle and not adverse to riding all day, but MO is a bit too far for me to do. Did somebody mention Bowling Green?

Hey Silverback, your team will take the handoff from Team SE Coastal coming into KY from WVA in all likelihood. Drones76 is heading up that team. I'm not sure where he is with the routing in that area currently. Check in with him and see if he has any plans yet. Let him know what you can do so he can take that into consideration. That's the first thing that you guys will do and it looks like you'll be a big part of the initial leg for your team. MO is out of the question for you guys. If you end up doing the main KY leg you will have a starting point with Team SE Coastal then just make the ride whatever you want to and connect with MidTNJasonF or however you guys can make it work out best for all.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline yo2001

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2011, 07:51:05 pm »
I'll love to meet some SOHC four owners when you guys come through Barber motorsports park. I live just down the street from there. I'll see if I can ride some too.
73 CB350F

Offline jtb

• An unlikely
  • Expert
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2011, 09:25:33 am »
We should get ‘IT’ from the SE Coastal group somewhere around the West Virginia, Kentucky border.  Silverback, this is probably your run, I think some of the guys may continue on with you.  You should head in the direction of Nashville.  From Nashville, toward Birmingham and Barbers, from there across MS into LA and on to AR.  The last rider in AR can hookup with Taxiscooter to pass on to the third leg.

Our rider list looks like this:

KY   Siverback

TN   Jag
   Poboy
   MidTNJasonF
   Tugboat
   Spanner1

AL   Kpier883
   Yo2001
   Jtb

MS   gnat

LA   ?

AR   Radam
   Coke

I have asked Drones76 for an approximate date in WVA, and will pass it on when I hear from him. 

My cell phone is 205-243-4354, and my email is jtb@softbal-inc.com.  You can usually catch me any time of day.

We should try to make Barber's on a Saturday, so other folks can ride in if they want to.
1977 CB750F
1985 V65 Sabre

Offline Gnat

• Enthusiast
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2011, 03:53:15 pm »
Where is the map? I live in North MS Desoto County a Suburb of Memphis TN. I want to get involved but need some specific dates and where to if you know what I mean.

JTB I dropped you a line. IIRC

My 350 F will be finished in 3 weeks God willing and the creek don't rise. I'd be willing to go a distance with some one. Maybe 100 miles or so.

David Morris
"Trying to keep the rubber side down"

Offline coke

• Hot Shot
    • Bob and Bob Bikes and Cars and Rides
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2011, 06:29:51 pm »
News on the 350f front.  Got it running (yahoo) BUT, I busted a plastic piece with 4 o-rings that connects the carbs to each other.  I tried superglue but it didn't hold and gas leaked out of it.  SO I have no idea what the part is called (the schematics actually don't name it that i have looked at).  If I can figure out what it is called, get a replacement and then work on the breaks, tires and turn signals, I should be up and running on the 350f for this ride.  I should be able to meet at Hot Springs like Radman and work on a route with him to get IT to OK.

Hey. and i didn't need a mechanic  (that is why i busted a part) LOL LOL
1974 Honda CB350F
1976 Honda CB750F
1977 Honda CB750 F2 SuperSport
2009 H/D VRSCAW VRod
2011 H/D Road Glide Ultra
2007 Kawi 650r Ninja
1999 HD 883 Sportster (bought back from youngest son)
1999 Kawi 1500 Nomad (given to oldest son)

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2011, 08:44:49 pm »
I think I know what part you're talking about; it passes the fuel from one carb to the next. Not sure what it's called, either; fuel cross-over tube?? At least one member has fabricated one from metal for another member: there was a thread about it a few months ago. We need you to get "IT" to OK!! Worst case, send me your old part and I will fab a new one for free, if you pay the postage!
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2011, 08:47:35 pm »
Somebody get this man one of those thingies! Coke old buddy, that just got you added to the master list of riders at rider #201. Welcome onboard.

Jerry Griffin
Rally Coordinator