Author Topic: The digital photography thread.... help me take a decent pic of my SOHC  (Read 4795 times)

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
I am starting this thread in hopes that we could get some input from members that know how to take decent pictures. I have a build thread going and 100% of my pictures suck. My camera is a $100 point and shoot but I am sure better pictures can be taken with it. So any and all help would be greatly appreciated by me and I am sure many others here.

Here is an example of my crappy pictures

Help? Tips?

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
Re: The digital photography thread.... help me take a decent pic of my SOHC
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 12:30:20 pm »
Sorry, I'm still looking them over for blatant signs of "crappiness"..not really seeing it...
maybe tone down the contrast/brightness a little and use a higher resolution?
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 12:46:28 pm »
Thanks, will try that. I want more clarity and detail. I have messed around with settings but still not happy. My pictures always look fuzzy (to me at least...)

Offline jneuf

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 12:46:36 pm »
If you let me know what type of camera you have (exact brand and model) I can help you out!

I see a few things that can be fixed already...but once I know what type of camera it is, I can help you dive into it  ;D
'75 CB400f

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 12:49:00 pm »
The camera I am using at the moment is a Casio Exilim EX-Z75 7.2 mega pixels.

Thanks for any help.

Offline jneuf

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 12:59:57 pm »
I'll check out the specs and functions to see what kind of settings you all have...

But at first glance, the color seems quite off...very washed out...and the pictures are a little out of focus as well.

Also, just a little tidbit of info...notice the first picture is taken from eye level, as in you were standing and had the camera in front of your face, pointing down at the bike, so the background is the pavement around the bike....squat down, or even sit on the ground and take it from a much lower point...that way you can have a background which is out in the distance, and also give a much more interesting perspective of the bike. Doing such can also give you the in focus bike, and blurred background look...
'75 CB400f

Offline swellguy

• An electric cattle prod is a
  • Hot Shot
  • Divorce is so expensive because it's worth it.
    • http://ksphotos.com
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 01:10:13 pm »
Couple of pointers:

- use a tripod where possible
- turn the flash off . . . that lets the camera record all of the ambient light and more approximates what the human eye sees.
- for overall shots, use an f-stop/aperture that it about one or two stops from wide open, that's the camera len's sharpest, most optimal setting. For instance, if the maximum/widest/fastest aperture is say f4 or f3.5, set the lens at say 5.6 or 8. At this point, if you're shooting indoors, you will likely need a tripod.
- If shooting with a tripod, you can set the camera to the slowest iso (equivalent of light sensitivity), something like iso 80, 100. The slower the iso (smaller the number) the finer resolution you'll get from the sensor and smoother the picture.
- Unless you want to shoot manually (picking f-stop and shutter speed), I'd shoot in aperture priority mode which lets you pick the lens opening (say 5.6 from above) the camera picks the appropriate shutter speed.
- if you are shooting a closeup of something and have some sort of zoom function, zoom in and use the fastest aperture you have. This will limit the amount of acceptably sharp focus to just what you want to show, adding emphasis to it and blurring less important objects.
- if doing an overall shot, wider angle view, whole shop kind of vantage point, you could stop down to something like f8 or even f11. Most everything will be in focus but a tripod might be required to avoid camera shake and blur while the shutter is open.
-in most cases, auto white balance is probably your best bet since there may be a mix of daylight, 100 watt bulbs, fluorescents, etc. Each registers a different color of light on the camera. If there is one dominant source you can pick that one on the camera for a more natural rendering but often auto white balance comes out to be the best choice.
- if possible, shoot in the camera's highest resolution and save your files in raw format and convert them to tiff's or jpeg's when you import them into a computer. If you do save them as jpegs, pick the option with the least amount of compression. The trade off is that you'll have larger file sizes on your camera's memory card.
- shoot often, try different angles and camera settings, take notes of techniques you like and notice what you like and dislike about certain photos. It's about being able to take shots predictably and consistently.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:06:36 pm by swellguy »
This project started in confusion and will end in disarray.
--
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=76471.msg852227#msg852227

Offline jneuf

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 01:17:32 pm »
Couple of pointers:

- use a tripod where possible
- turn the flash off . . . that lets the camera record all of the ambient light and more approximates what the human eye sees.
- for overall shots, use an f-stop/aperture that it about one or two stops from wide open, that's the camera len's sharpest, most opitmal setting. For instance, if the maximum/widest/fastest aperature is say f4 or f3.5, set the lens at say 5.6 or 8. At this point, if you're shooting indoors, you will likely need a tripod.
- If shooting with a tripod, you can set the camera to the slowest iso (equivalent of light sensitivity), something like iso 80, 100. The slower the iso (smaller the number) the finer resolution you'll get from the sensor and smoother the picture.
- Unless you want to shoot manually (picking f-stop and shutter speed), I'd shoot in aperture priority mode which lets you pick the lens opening (say 5.6 from above) the camera picks the appropriate shutter speed.
- if you are shooting a closeup of something and have some sort of zoom function, zoom in and use the fastest aperture you have. This will limit the amount of acceptably sharp focus to just what you want to show, adding emphasis to it and blurring less important objects.
- if doing an overall shot, wider angle view, whole shop kind of vantage point, you could stop down to something like f8 or even f11. Most everything will be in focus but a tripod might be required to avid camera shake and blur while the shutter is open.
-in most cases, auto white balance is probably your best bet since there may be a mix of daylight, 100 watt bulbs, fluorescents, etc. Each registers a different color of light on the camera. If there is one dominant source you can pick that one on the camera for a more natural rendering but often auto white balance comes out to be the best choice.
- if possible, shoot in the camera's highest resolution and save your files in raw format and convert them to tiff's or jpeg's when you import them into a computer. If you do save them as jpegs, pick the option with the least amount of compression. The trade off is that you'll have larger file sizes on your camera's memory card.
- shoot often, try different angles and camera settings, take notes of techniques you like and notice what you like and dislike about certain photos. It's about being able to take shots predictably and consistently.

Great info!

The white balance seems out on the pictures of your bike...check to make sure it's set to auto.
'75 CB400f

Offline swellguy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 02:16:39 pm »
One more thing (for now) . . .

If you are going to hand hold the camera for a shot,

- try putting it on a ledge, surface, tabletop, workbench, etc so it can remain still during exposure.
- or lean against a pole or wall to steady yourself while taking pictures.
- instead of holding your elbows outward while holding the camera, bring them inward and brace them against your belly.
- an around-the-neck strap can also help keep the camera steady if you keep it tight while holding the camera in front of you.
--

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 02:22:22 pm »
Great info!  I have a decent camera but don't really know how to use it.

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 02:37:55 pm »
Thanks for all the help, just from fiddling with the camera settings and using a small pocket tripod I have taken some better pictures. I am not sure about F-Stops as my camera doesnt seem to have this setting but I took these pictures with these settings

Macro setting on the close ups
ISO Sensitivity 50
Flash Off
Auto WB (whitebalance)
0.0 EV (exposure value?) mine will adjust from -2.0 to +2.0
Size: 7m 3072x2304 A3 print

All this stuff is greek to me

« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:39:41 pm by BWJ »

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 02:55:42 pm »
Your photos are not as sharp as they should be..You stated that in your first post.  Are you sure the lens is clean? Both front and rear elements.  Another possibility is the camera is set for macro mode and will not take sharp photos at a distance...Larry

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 03:44:34 pm »
Color and depth look good. Nice job on the bike BWJ. I can tell from your pics it looks GR GR GR GREAT! Funny my wife's $100 Pentax point n shoot takes better indoor pics than my $1000 DSLR. Go figure. See ya on the I-5 corridor somewhere.
"Just because you flush a boatload of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Stepfather the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 VG "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS
Another 1976 CB550K Cafe?

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline Grnrngr

• Master
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 03:53:24 pm »
I didn't think they were too bad to begin with, but that is a heck of an improvement..and a great lookin bike! Nice to see the detail on those Frankensidecovers...where'd you get the seat?
'72 CB750-K2 "PopCycle"
'73 CB750-K2 "Barney"
'77 CB750A   
'83 Virago 500 (red)
'83 Virago 500 (black)

"and so on and so on and scoobydoobydooby..oooooooshasha"  Sly Stone

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 03:59:20 pm »
thanks guys, the seat is from Carpy

Offline ksmith0034

• When I grow up I want to be a
  • Hot Shot
    • Please subscribe to my motovlog
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 05:01:50 pm »
Lookin good.  One tip: turn off the date stamp!!!
It took 10 years but she's finally done!
             ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓
Stocker 2 Rocker CAFE conversion

My YouTube channel HERE:
https://www.youtube.com/MotoCafeRacer

Offline swellguy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 05:03:33 pm »
I've read up about your particular camera and I see that a bunch of my advice about aperture selection, shutter speed may not be something you should be concerned with as I don't think the camera let's you get into that kind of control. For the most part it's a point and shoot.

Do make sure the front of your lens is clean. You can't clean the rear element since the lens doesn't come off the camera. In terms of image quality you seem to be at the "fine" setting, I don't think the camera has any raw capability.

Your second set of photos is much better than the first. Simply being deliberate about taking pictures, looking at what you're shooting, making instead of taking photos will get you much farther.

In your case, the bike looks great. The trouble photographically is you have a white tank on a black frame which represent the extreme range of what the human eye can see. Cameras can't see what they eye can see so when they are faced with a scene of extreme brightness range they're going to make an exposure that sits somewhere in the middle. When that happens things that are black just go black and a lot of finer detail like shape and form disappear into shadow. On the other end, white things like gas tanks show up as white but are likely overexposed and look more like blobs than what your eyes make out. That excess brightness bounces back into the camera and desaturates all of the color and detail throughout the scene.

Some other suggestions might be to close the shop door when you take pictures. There's less light but the camera can probably capture pretty much all of the brightness range. If you are outside, keep the sun behind you. Sometimes, despite my past advice, use the flash. Take two pictures, one without and one that forces the flash on (not "auto"). The flash will light up some things but the camera may stay open long enough so that things not lit by the flash will get enough exposure to record properly. Put a tiny piece of black tape in the middle of the flash lens. It might diffuse some of the light and cause the beam to be more balanced, less intense in the middle.

I kinda do this for a living. Working on Honda's is sometimes like greek to me.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 08:33:11 pm by swellguy »
--

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 06:02:02 pm »
swellguy I can't thank you enough for all your help. You really are a swell guy! I appreciate the time and effort you have put into your posts just to help me out. THANKS!

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 06:30:48 pm »
afternoon light in the shade will help take out the hot spots...

Cool looking bike.
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 07:43:23 pm »
A "flat" light will help drop off the hot spots and give more even lighting. I find flash (unless you have studio flashes with reflector umbrellas...) pretty useless for bike photos since you always get reflected glare. Avoid direct sunlight, it's too much contrast between bits in the sun vs bits in shadow to look good. I have hung a white sheet across a garage doorway in the sun for diffuse bright light inside and it worked great. If you have seen a "professional" fashion photo shoot outdoors they have people holding reflectors and diffusers all around the models to reduce the harshness of direct sunlight.
Depth of field is dependent on lens aperture... this is the amount of the image that's in focus, and is always an issue with close up pictures of bikes. More light will give you a smaller lens aperture and more depth of field. If your camera has a "shutter priority" mode use it and set it at the highest number (smallest lens aperture). This will make the exposure time longer so you will probably need a tripod, or set the camera on something solid and use the self timer to eliminate your hand shake. Generally with bike photos you want more depth of field, for portraits of people usually you want less so the face is in focus but background objects are fuzzy.
White balance affects the colors. Auto WB is an approximation and in most cameras it requires a person in the photo so the camera can try to get skin color reasonable, manual white balance is very easy and gives the most accurate colors. Get a sheet of white paper, put it so it gets the same light as your bike: this can be a mix of light sources from sunlight, incandescent, fluorescent - just try and get the light hitting what you want to photograph with correct color hitting the paper. Point the camera so the lit paper fills the viewfinder screen without shadowing it, and press whatever button sets the manual white balance. That's it. Remember to go back to auto for later shots or your family snaps may have green or pink faces.
Photographing black stuff is always a problem. You may have to change the EV setting to a "+" number to get detail in the black, but this will make white and light objects lose detail. Experiment.
7.9MP should give a very sharp image especially at the size you're posting. On some images, either the focus is off or you're moving the camera during exposure. If you can set the camera focus mode to center priority point the camera so what you want focused best is in the center and press the shutter button halfway down to set the focus. don't release the button: move the camera for the image you really want in the frame (without changing the distance from lens to object) and press the button the rest of the way down. I find matrix focus has trouble with bike shots - once again the camera computer is looking for faces to focus on and gets confused with the shapes and textures of a motorcycle. To avoid camera movement use a tripod or the camera on something solid - you can wedge stuff under the lens or body to get the angle you want. Using the self timer gives the steadiest shots since you're not touching the camera when it;s taking the picture. More light will shorten the exposure time and reduce the blurring effect of camera movement.
Some of your pics are amazing with perfect focus and great depth of field. Figure out what you did when you took them and keep doing it!

Offline swellguy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 08:37:55 pm »
swellguy I can't thank you enough for all your help. You really are a swell guy! I appreciate the time and effort you have put into your posts just to help me out. THANKS!
No trouble. It's often a "learn by doing" kind of thing.
--

Offline the technological J

• Master
  • deliciouso!
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 09:01:02 pm »
im just gonna throw this out there about the bike but do uhave a frame kit to allow you to work on the engine  while in the bike because otherwise you are gonna have to pull the engine to put it back together
70 KO...sold to fund the ST http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88800.0(Alpha)
74 Kaw 250 Enduro http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=124278.0
K4 added to collection! http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=104784.0
78 750K... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60257.0 (Omega)sold to fund the K4
94 ST1100..Gone
72 750 K2 Stay tuned!

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 09:05:31 pm »
Yup, got a kit from hednut

Offline the technological J

• Master
  • deliciouso!
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 09:17:46 pm »
does he make em? or  did he have an extra?
70 KO...sold to fund the ST http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=88800.0(Alpha)
74 Kaw 250 Enduro http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=124278.0
K4 added to collection! http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=104784.0
78 750K... http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60257.0 (Omega)sold to fund the K4
94 ST1100..Gone
72 750 K2 Stay tuned!