Author Topic: Team Eastern Canada - NB, QC, ON, NS, PEI, and NL  (Read 56885 times)

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Team Eastern Canada Region - NB, QC, ON
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2011, 04:08:06 pm »
Good news Raynald.

Old School, pm away with address etc.

Offline Tripps

• Perpetual Beginner
  • Hot Shot
  • 1978 CB750K
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2011, 07:53:31 am »
Seems a shame to pass up a photo op at Niagara Falls, but maybe I'm biased, it's in my backyard. Ideally, barring something horrible happening, like getting a job, LOL, I'd figure on crossing at Niagara Falls, (I could at least take a pic on the way through ). Not sure if I'd meet in Ottawa, or pick them up on the way to Toronto, if they were leaving Ottawa early I'd almost have to cross the night before to ride out in the morning. I'd love to ride all the way into Michigan, ride a bit there, and return home south around Lake Erie. I have a friend in Windsor who would probably put me up for a night, and a friend in the Upper Peninsula, near Manastee National Forest, that I'd like to see, then probably break off and head home. Rode along the North Lake Ontario shore last summer on the way back from Windsor, beautiful ride, but keep in mind 40-45 mph speed limits, mostly. ( got GREAT gas mileage at those speeds, but it might bother some).
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge- Daniel J Boorstin

Offline RickRR

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2011, 08:06:14 am »
Operator,

last week, my holidays were in... Rivière Bleue QC which was not far from your place Edmundston!

Maybe, I could ride up there next summer and join the group:  I would like to ride the complete Province of Quebec from east to west.

I'de like to do the province all the way , don't know if the bike will let me cause my head is spewing oil ... but it would be a great ride.
I went to the cabot trail 2 time and to Oromocto about 4 time on bike so I know I'm ok for the ride.
My heroes had the heart to live their lives out on a limb
And all I remember is thinking' I wanna be like them.

CB750F 1978

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2011, 09:53:35 am »
Hey All!

I've been trying to keep up with y'all, but it ain't easy!!  I'm also hesitant to keep changing routes and days and overnight locations on you constantly. 

I think the next major milestone we need to have happen is firm dates.  I've been watching some of the early regions and their dates are starting to firm up.  Once we get something close to 80% confidence of an actual handoff date with Team New England, then we can make some serious commitments to riders, routes, photo ops and overnight locations.

Great ideas so far and please keep them coming!
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline Operator

• Someday I will live up to being a
  • Expert
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2011, 09:25:26 am »
Raynald,

Yep I'm at CFB Gagetown.

I am looking at going from here to Edmunston, or east to NS if required. If we can get someone to go from Edmunston to Quebec City, it appears we have lots of interested riders.

The looming question now is, once it crosses into NB, is it going further east or heading west from there. I know there was some interest in NS and NL but can't confirm it.

By the way, if we are team eastern Canada, we should include NS, PEI, and NL in our title. It might attract riders from those prov's to jump in.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 09:27:11 am by Operator »
If ever there was a creator of bastard sons, it is the open road, for she has claimed so many young men yearning for freedom......

1973 CB750 K3
1976 CB400F (Cafe Project)
1979 Yamaha XS400 (Currently up for Sale)

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Re: Team Eastern Canada Region - NB, QC, ON, NS, PEI, and NL
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2011, 10:54:56 am »
Oh boy, now you've done it Operator  ;D  Your title is now complete HOWEVER that will put the heat on you guys to fill in that route  ;)  Think you guys can do it??!! I KNOW you guys can do it. May have to stretch some speed limits to cover the extra miles, not that we'd ever consider that  8)   
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline Operator

• Someday I will live up to being a
  • Expert
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2011, 11:09:55 am »
As I stated earlier, I can get from me in either direction to NS or QC border, just let me know ;)
If ever there was a creator of bastard sons, it is the open road, for she has claimed so many young men yearning for freedom......

1973 CB750 K3
1976 CB400F (Cafe Project)
1979 Yamaha XS400 (Currently up for Sale)

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2011, 03:11:27 pm »
As I stated earlier, I can get from me in either direction to NS or QC border, just let me know ;)

Thanks Jason!  It all depends on if the Maritimes step up and throw their hats... er... helmets into the ring.  Your flexibility in either heading to NS or to QC makes either option possible!
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2011, 08:28:38 am »
I'm with you on watching the dates firm up as the ride begins...........Right now I am thinking it will slide toward late July for the handoff from Michigan to Wisconsin.  We are getting more riders but still have some holes.......
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline strawhouse

• Enthusiast
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2011, 01:15:36 pm »
I am completely open for making the ride at anytime, I am really flexible with my work week.  So for the planning of the dates for eastern or central Ontario I can fill in the gaps really at any time.
Pacifist with a gun

Offline CrankyOldGuy

• Wish I was a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2011, 03:18:40 pm »
Any idea about timeframe for being around Fredericton?  Depending on timing I may have my K1 resurrected by then.

Harry O.
750 K1 Original Owner

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2011, 03:29:46 pm »
Hi Cranky,

No definite dates yet, but early July is most likely.  Maybe a week before or a week after.
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2011, 08:55:30 pm »
De-spammed. Thanks for the heads up guys.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline SteveD CB500F

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timer
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • TVAM
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2011, 11:23:15 pm »
Banned him
SOHC4 Member #2393
2015 Tiger 800 XRT
1971 CB500K0 (US Model)

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2011, 08:01:12 am »
Liking it, I was disappointed we weren't passing through Niagara Falls.

Prolly something to discuss in the Eastern Canada team thread.  The current ECan "Route In Progress" planning map is only 50 miles away from the falls.  That route is going to need some rework as the overnights are too far apart and prolly too few.  Guna copy this post over there.  It's getting to be time to put the clear coat on this thing!!

Hey all,

Welp, Godzilla is only a few days away from suiting up his leathers and hitting the road!  Time we awaken this thread and get the route finalized.  As Godzilla begins to move, I'm sure dates will start to get nailed down quickly.  If we have our route already done, then passing dates on to the next leg and the leg after that will be a snap!

As a reminder, here is the planning map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=44.087585,-74.619141&spn=16.977342,28.125&z=5&msid=212639289406289974048.000499952a78c34cb946b

We have offers of overnight accommodations at Operator's in Fredricton and BWaller's south of Montreal.  I'm thinking we'll need at least one overnight between the two.  Hard to say where as there seems to be little excitement about riding through Nova Scotia and/or PEI (I hope I'm wrong!!).  From BWallers to Detroit is at least one more overnight, prolly two.  I'd like the last ECan overnight to be close enough to Detroit that the handoff to Team Michigan can be done around noon.

Filling in the route between the overnights (i.e. the FUN stuff) should be pretty easy.  I know a few would like to hit up Niagara Falls and some would like to ride through Parc national du Canada de la Mauricie (WOW!  Letters must have been CHEAP when the French were naming things!! ;D)  There is also some interest in following the northern coast of Lake Ontario, but that route between Ottawa and Bracebridge looks like a lot of fun!!  Could the two be combined since we will prolly have an extra overnight?

Time to get in your final suggestions for overnights, routes and photo ops!  Of course it will be up to the actual riders of the actual routes to make it all happen.  Three hundred miles per day is prolly the max safety and enjoyment wise, but again, that's up to you, the actual riders.

Remember, this is supposed to be fun, it's not a race.  If routes with smaller miles per day and/or more overnights are needed, then lets do them.  But to be fair to the routes that come after us, lets try to nail it all down pretty soon!
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?

Offline wohali

• What, me worry?
  • Hot Shot
  • Don Pardo, tell 'em what they've won!
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2011, 10:13:53 am »
I've done that Ottawa-Toronto ride before, and stayed in Bancroft, which is already on your route. It was raining heavily and I just about wore out around there. Lovely area, lots of great twisties and not a terrible amount of traffic. I stayed at the Best Western Sword Motor Inn, and had a nice dinner as well.

The more southerly Lake route can be cooler (temperature-wise) but you get a lot more slow-moving traffic, more tourists, etc. It's a lovely ride but for me it's more of a 'Sunday soujourn' as opposed to a 'touring trip.'

Just my $0.02...

Offline Boner

• Enthusiast
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2011, 02:22:30 pm »
I think Strawhouse said he would pick up at Ottawa and run it down to the east end of Toronto I plan to hook up with him somewhere north east and ride down with him , maybe Wohali can hook up with us and run it through the city ?
1971 Honda 750
1950/64 Norton 500 single in Featherbed
1964 Norton 650ss
1974 Trident
1968 500 Trumpet
1971 Commando
3 x Suzy T20's
1997 Triumph Trophy

Offline cookindaddy

• I sure love this bike!
  • Expert
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2011, 02:46:17 pm »
I am in too. I am 1 hour NW of the city. I'll try to join up on the route in to TO and through.
George with a black 78 CB750K (in Lion's Head, Ontario, Canada)

Offline Boner

• Enthusiast
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2011, 03:07:33 pm »
We should really get a pic of the CN tower with as many members as possible.
1971 Honda 750
1964 Norton 650ss
1974 Trident
1968 500 Trumpet
1971 Commando
3 x Suzy T20's
1997 Triumph Trophy

Offline cookindaddy

• I sure love this bike!
  • Expert
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2011, 03:45:47 pm »
Agree. Ideas for a vantage point where it would be most dramatic?
George with a black 78 CB750K (in Lion's Head, Ontario, Canada)

Offline Boner

• Enthusiast
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2011, 09:00:07 am »
I think it was Rustyolive who took a nice pic of his cycle along the lakeshore near the tower maybe ask him ?
1971 Honda 750
1964 Norton 650ss
1974 Trident
1968 500 Trumpet
1971 Commando
3 x Suzy T20's
1997 Triumph Trophy

Offline brooze72

• Talk to my friends here at SOHC4 if you need an
  • Expert
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2011, 04:26:23 pm »
I would still like to do a piece of eastern ON too, Strawhouse doesn't have to do it all.  Somewhere between Kingston or northern area to towards TO would be great.  Would also love to be in a pic with all you guys at the tower too! 

Brooze 72
2011, 2012 & 2013 Godzilla Relay Rally Rider
"Hold on loosely...don't let go
 If you cling too tightly...you're gonna lose control"
1972 CB500K1 - restored rider
1981 CB650C - new project

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2011, 05:26:01 pm »
I would still like to do a piece of eastern ON too, Strawhouse doesn't have to do it all.  Somewhere between Kingston or northern area to towards TO would be great.  Would also love to be in a pic with all you guys at the tower too! 

Brooze 72

Hey Brooze!

What are the overnight accommodations like there around Pickering?  I was thinking that the route could leave Bracebridge, came down on the East side of Lake Simcoe and spend a night on the Lake Ontario coast before heading to Toronto.  Then one more overnight somewhere between Toronto and Detroit.
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Sure.
Is it hard?

Offline Tripps

• Perpetual Beginner
  • Hot Shot
  • 1978 CB750K
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2011, 05:12:27 am »
Shame to be that close and not get a shot at Niagara falls. 2cents
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge- Daniel J Boorstin

Offline brooze72

• Talk to my friends here at SOHC4 if you need an
  • Expert
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2011, 06:39:36 am »

Hey Brooze!

What are the overnight accommodations like there around Pickering?  I was thinking that the route could leave Bracebridge, came down on the East side of Lake Simcoe and spend a night on the Lake Ontario coast before heading to Toronto.  Then one more overnight somewhere between Toronto and Detroit.
[/quote]

OldSchool

Any idea how many guys?  We've got some hotels locally, I'm within 50 K of downtown TO where there are many, but if it's only one or two, I could probably put them up chez moi.

Brooze72
2011, 2012 & 2013 Godzilla Relay Rally Rider
"Hold on loosely...don't let go
 If you cling too tightly...you're gonna lose control"
1972 CB500K1 - restored rider
1981 CB650C - new project