Author Topic: What's a tankslapper, and how do I avoid or get through one?  (Read 8877 times)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
Re: What's a tankslapper, and how do I avoid or get through one?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 08:36:47 am »
That is a very good discussion of the situation, as it applies to race track circumstances as well as moderate to aggressive street riding. There is another situation as well.

That is, even in a straight line, if the front suspension is bottomed out, like when hitting a hole, or high bump, the energy is initially absorbed by the suspension. But if that's not enough, and the suspension bottoms the energy will then transfer into the steering creating a violent side to side motion, tank slapper. The bars will be ripped from the riders hands and you will likely go down.

All the fixes in the article apply, but more importantly I think others should be considered. That is, don't reduce the suspension travel, don't lower the front end to the point where the fender will contact the lower tree, and upgrade the fork to a cartridge emulator if possible. Our old forks are pretty much linear in their absorption. Emulators make the damping much more progressive, absorbing more energy as the forks compress, resisting bottoming.

Virtually all modern bikes have the cartridge style forks, so the bottoming tankslapper is not so common.

My explanation may be very amateurish and not technically correct. But i know from first hand knowledge from where I speak. And it can definitely be lethal.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 08:50:27 pm »
Perhaps this thread should be re-titled simply "how to survive a tankslapper"?
I agree with the part in the article about keeping pressure on the foot-pegs; I learned on dirt-bikes just how important that can be in controlling the bike, especially in an aggressive riding situation.

My definition of a tank-slapper: The scariest 1.5 seconds you will ever experience on a motorcycle, that does not involve another motor vehicle, animal, or 30 foot drop-off.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 10:08:06 pm »
 I thought  ?'s belonged somewhere else ?
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 10:17:23 pm »
I wondered about the "question" being posted in this section, until I read the referenced page, in the linked magazine article. This belongs here, as it is a tip about motorcycle survival skills. 
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Nikkisixx

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 05:09:48 am »
Pretty good article, but you could just go straight to the source and hear it from the horses mouth:

http://www.superbikeschool.com/keiths-corner/

Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist 2 DVD is awesome (avoid the snooze fest of his first video).  His book is stuffed full of 411.  Reading and watching that stuff will help you get the chicken strips off your tires, and better on the street.
It is a proven fact that modifying a SOHC Honda in any way will bring on the apocalypse.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 04:08:00 pm »
If you fear tank slappers,and i had some good ones on K series Honda's,just use a steering damper, on the street i have never had a tank slapper on any bike fitted with a damper...... ;)

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.