Author Topic: The Beast transformed into...  (Read 29417 times)

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
The Beast transformed into...
« on: January 08, 2011, 09:39:30 am »
So I figured I’d do it right this time and have an honest build thread. I bought my ’77 CB750F in April of 2008 because gas was so expensive and I had a long commute to work. Something cheap that ran good and needed a little cleaning up was what I was looking for and man did I find it. The PO had a cover for the bike because he left it outside, but the cover was in his garage instead of on the bike. The bike was dirty and had been outside for most of its life, the seat was shot, the gauges were faded, and the fork seals were wasted. I paid him and hit the highway home and promptly found out the bike would not go over 65, I could hit 70 down a hill though!

After I had it home and trashed the seat I jumped in to doing a tune up, and while I know the guy changed the oil at least once, I don’t think the air filter was quite so lucky.

After that she ran very strong and I started to go about cleaning her up so I could have a commuter. The fork seals were toast and judging by the amount of gunk they had been for quite some time. Slowly but surely I was cleaning this and fixing that and then one day an event happened that changed everything, I found SOHC4.net. It went from a commuter to a full blow project overnight much to the dismay of my wife, who really had no clue what she was in for.

I didn’t really have a plan for what I wanted but did focus on doing a core build. The motor was good so I decided to focus on the rest of the bike because I was starting back to college and so my funds were very limited. I pulled it all apart and rebuilt the wheel bearings, brake calipers and front master, swing arm, neck bearings, went with earlier model carbs, and recovered the seat.

My changes were to go with drag bars, different front fender, ditch the faring and go with a stock headlight with different ears, and a different throttle and bar end mirrors. I shaved the stock gauge mounts off the top tree and made a custom gauge mount that bolts to the ignition switch holes. I added the Cycle X Power Arc ignition and made a switch plate so I could change the timing in flight and mounted it to the old choke mount point.

I replaced the stock clutch lever with a different one and axed all the switches from the bars. I mounted a kill switch and high beam switch in the back of the headlight bucket and rewired the entire bike.

I ditched the fuse box for a circuit breaker and hung a ignition switch inside the frame rail just in front of the left side cover. I modified the tail light and went with one from a R1 because I liked the look better. This required some cutting and making a little rear fender add on and a shield to protect the bottom of the light from the hazards of the road.

Painted the bike a deep Dodge Blue and it came out pretty good for my first official start to finish paint job and Ta-Da we have a finished motorcycle.

I had more plans in store for it this winter and while I’m off to a slower start then I had hoped but with the lessons I learned during the first go around I think all will be done by this summer. As you can see a new exhaust was in order as the stock one was a bit tore up and got a whack job from my hacksaw.

I plan to do some motor work and paint it with something much better then grill paint this time, I really didn’t do anything to the motor last time and it needs some help. There are other changes in store but they are under wraps and you’ll just have to check back here and see how this all comes out!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 07:51:36 am by Freaky1 »
That which does not kill you leaves cool scabs which turn into awesome scars.

'77 CB750F Come on...were almost there!

Offline zzpete

• You better get an
  • Expert
  • 1969 CB750, 1971 CB750
Re: The Beast transformed into...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 03:22:50 pm »
 :o WOW Nice transformation!!! Glad you saved it!!! NICE WORK!!  ;D
Don't get dead!

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 03:56:07 pm »
Great wok freaky!  Happy to finally see a build thread.  I look forward to following it.

Offline bluesmoke69

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 10:11:28 pm »
Great work on the bike. I like the color you pick out.

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 06:13:24 am »
Great work on the bike. I like the color you pick out.

Thanks, I was thinking about changing it this time around but I don't think it will happen.

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 08:05:22 am »
Work on the bike has not been coming along as quick as I had hoped but I have managed to make some progress. I got some things cut off, some of them will be used again in different ways, others will be trash. I plan to cut off the back of the frame but until I get the motor out and wheels off those parts stay.

I'm going to make a custom battery box and use a oil tank kit from bungking.com, so I need to figure out where I'll be placing some new mounting tabs. I'll be customizing a pair of rear sets possibly from a 600RR and using the newer rear master cylinder. They will be mounted off the swing arm bolt as well as the old stock foot peg bolt, so there will be some custom mount work going on there too. I hope to have all this laid out before spring break so I can have my nephew weld it all up then the frame goes back for powder coating. I have a seat in mind, hand made by me, but I need to do some experiments to see if I can make the aluminum bend the way I want it, stay 'tooned!  ;D

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 08:24:26 am »
Well done Freaky!  I like how you axed the controllers but losing that kill switch at the thumb would freak me out.  Too many times in my life I have used it.  Even for just turning it off.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline Brown Bomber

• Don't mess with me cause I'm a SOHC/4
  • Expert
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 10:55:46 am »
The seat support that you cut off adds integrity to the frame between the top of the rear shocks. Do plan on reinforcing that some how to keep the rear end stable? Some people weld a hoop between the two tubes straight out the back.
Keep the Shiny side up!

1987 ZG1000 "King Crimson"
1972 CB750K2 "Stout"
1976 CB500T "Witch's Promise"
1973 CL450K5 Cafe Project
I'd rather go homeless than chromeless

People get maddest when I've told the truth.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.......
                                                                          Vito Corleone

Offline Elan

• Expert
    • Vital Motor Parts
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 11:55:54 am »
looks good! Please change that front brake hose though!
Oil Pump Kits are Available on eBay!See my eBay store!
http://stores.ebay.com/Vital-Motor-Parts?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

k6 build   http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=79833.0

76 750k

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 05:43:00 pm »
The seat support that you cut off adds integrity to the frame between the top of the rear shocks. Do plan on reinforcing that some how to keep the rear end stable? Some people weld a hoop between the two tubes straight out the back.

The two semi-vertical tubes in front of the shocks will be linked with a hoop and that seat brace will be reused, just a bit farther forward. The tubes out the back, above the shocks will be gone when all is said and done though.

The front master cylinder will be replaced with a modern unit and have a fresh custom hose before it hits the road Elan. That old hose did make me nervous last summer though!

TipperT - When the bike was done for about the first month, it didn't even have a kill switch of any kind, I had to reach under the seat and turn the key off.  :o

Offline noahspop

• Hot Shot
  • 1977 CB750F2
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 08:45:06 am »
Great! Another F2 build I can follow to get ideas from. You did a great job bringging the bike back to life.

Offline tango911

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 09:00:24 am »
SHARP
CURRENT STABLE:
1969 Honda Dream 305 (black)
1974 Mach III kawi 500 smoker
K2 (project)
K2 Original fixer up
K0 original fixer up
2006 CRF250R

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 05:03:40 am »
Well I spent two days cleaning the garage and had a beautiful space all ready to work, then the temp hit -15 and two weeks of snow. Finally yesterday I got out there and made some progress and man it felt good! ;D

I am relocating the battery from a vertical position to horizontal and realized that the notch in the rear fender needed to be higher to accommodate my plans. When I did the first build I picked up a replacement fiberglass piece from Carpy, it is tricky getting it in because it does not flex to well, but a nice piece. But I went ahead and cut out the notch and relocated it to where I need it. I plan to use my Frankenstein'd version for fab work and make a mold so I can produce a nice finished piece on my own out of fiberglass.

I need to really get moving on the new battery box, oil tank, and mounts for the coil and all the limited electrical bits. My nephew is an amazing welder and I plan to haul all this stuff 550 miles one way just so he can weld it for me. Then it will have to get back here and get powder coated in time for the Relay. Thank god it's getting warmer so now I can make some progress.   

Offline Agathon

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 04:02:22 pm »
Nice transformation. Where are those gauges from?

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 03:56:24 am »
Cycle X, about all I'll say about them is they work, sort of. I'm trying to find something I like better but not having much luck.

Offline tango911

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 06:03:40 am »
wow, nice job man!!
CURRENT STABLE:
1969 Honda Dream 305 (black)
1974 Mach III kawi 500 smoker
K2 (project)
K2 Original fixer up
K0 original fixer up
2006 CRF250R

Offline Agathon

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 07:55:19 am »
Cycle X, about all I'll say about them is they work, sort of. I'm trying to find something I like better but not having much luck.

Ok. Thanks. Whats the "sort of" part? Don´t show correct speed/tacho?

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 08:04:07 am »

Ok. Thanks. Whats the "sort of" part? Don´t show correct speed/tacho?

Sometimes they bounce like crazy, sometimes not and I've tried oiling them and it helps a bit, sometimes. The plug that holds the bulb in fits great into the gauges but the bulbs can pop out kind of easy. I don't have anything against the stock gauges except for the fact that they are HUGE and my overall goal is big motor, small bike.

99.9% of all mechanical gauges out there are for Harleys, or bikes that only rev to 8k and that is just not high enough.

Offline Agathon

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 08:46:23 am »
Thanks for info.

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 03:16:43 am »
Sanding sucks! I got the rear fender one step closer to being ready to make a mold of, anyone have a suggestion for what I should use for the mold? I plan to construct the finished one out of fiberglass and need to make a mold of the top side of the fender.

Also I decided to put all my electronics (breaker, starter solenoid, and reg/rec combo) under the gas tank, this will allow me to move the batter box over a bit and have easier access to my oil tank fill cap.

Offline krmtrains

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 03:45:31 am »
Nice work on this!  Do those gauges mount to the factory mounting?
Kevin R. Mueller
1975 CB550K
2000 Shadow Aero VT1100 C3 Red/Black
2000 Shadow Aero VT1100 C3 Yellow/Black

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 07:58:36 am »
Nice work on this!  Do those gauges mount to the factory mounting?

Thanks & nope, I shaved off the factory gauge tabs on the trees and the gauges now mount to the old ignition switch mounts.

Offline Spinned

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 09:31:23 pm »
Have you figured out an electrical update kit yet?  When you relocate the electrical components, you might as well get smaller and newer stuff.

Offline Freaky1

• Hot Shot
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 03:30:04 pm »
I completely rewired the bike the first time around and I'm planning on a completely new one this time too. I put the Cycle X circuit breaker in last time and I'm going to ditch the Reg - Rec and go with a solid state all in one this time. The only things that will be under the tank will be the circuit breaker, one piece reg/rec and the starter solenoid, I plan to leave the key mounted to the frame in front of the battery.

Wish I could post an update about progress but school and work are getting in the way, but maybe this weekend?

Offline tweakin

• tear down
  • Master
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 04:56:47 pm »
Looks great!  By the way, school and work are just hobbies.......Bike building is the full time job. ;D

I completely rewired the bike the first time around and I'm planning on a completely new one this time too. I put the Cycle X circuit breaker in last time and I'm going to ditch the Reg - Rec and go with a solid state all in one this time. The only things that will be under the tank will be the circuit breaker, one piece reg/rec and the starter solenoid, I plan to leave the key mounted to the frame in front of the battery.

Wish I could post an update about progress but school and work are getting in the way, but maybe this weekend?