Author Topic: Admitting you have a problem is the first step. CB550 build  (Read 12976 times)

Offline Willy D

Admitting you have a problem is the first step. CB550 build
« on: January 11, 2011, 08:13:12 am »
Late last year i got the urge to get back into motorcycles after being out of them for about 18 years. For some strange reason I like old stuff. I guess it goes back to wanting stuff you remember from when you were either too young or couldn't afford at the time. I have a 68 GTO and a 68 Firebird that i restored, and i knew I wanted some kind of old bike. My first road bike was a CL125, not sure of the year, but it the tank was red and white. I rode that bike from the time I was 14 till 16 when i got my first car. I started checking the internet for old Honda's that reminded me of my CL. At first I was looking for a CB750, but then I came across this 76 cb550. The first time i went and looked at it, the seller and I were too far apart on the price. It was not running, the carbs were apart and in a box, so i was looking to buy it at a parts bike price. He was really attached to it, told me a lot of stories about how he used to ride, where he got it, and how much he missed riding but he couldn't as he had some health issues that kept him from riding anymore. I was reminded after watching American Pickers, that sometimes you have to walk away because its not about the money to some people. I left without making an offer that I thought would insult him. About a week later, he called me back and we were able to make a deal.
Here is what it looked like when i got it home and cleaned it up.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 04:59:43 pm by Willy D »

Offline Willy D

Re: Admitting you have a problem is the first step.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 08:29:13 am »
Through the information i found on this website, i was able to get the bike together and running. Rebuilt the carbs, put on new tires and rode it for a couple hundred miles. One problem i could not solve was a Pogo Stick vibration from the front end at any speed over 40mph. After re-balancing the tires and checking everything else i could think of, i decided that the headset bearings needed to be replaced. Ordered tapered bearings from allballs and started the teardown to install them. I had been trying to resist the urge to totally strip the bike down and redo it completely, but by the time I got the front end off, there was no turning back. That's what I am talking about having a problem. My buddy who is the shop manager of the bike shop where I got my tires mounted was kidding me about that it wouldn't be long until i had the whole thing torn apart. To be honest, it was kind of ugly to look at with the caramel brown paint faded to sort of a sage green, the oxidized aluminum on the engine etc. Here are some pics of the tear down.

Offline Willy D

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 08:37:52 am »
After a five hour battle with a sandblaster my father in law had given to me (you have to have sifted dry sand and lots of air volume) I took the frame and the rest of the pieces to the powder-coater, where he told me he could have cooked all the paint off in the oven.....45 and still learning.  About a week later i picked up the pieces.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 09:29:25 am »
Nice looking bike and congratulations!
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline noahspop

• Hot Shot
  • 1977 CB750F2
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 10:40:12 am »
I too fell victim of the tear down process.
Nice bike. I watch American Pickers all the time. I dig all the stories and the history behind them.

Offline Ouch

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 11:13:39 am »
Welcome....Great to see yet another from Nashville on here. You from Nashville or sourrounding area?

Offline Willy D

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 04:15:11 pm »
Welcome....Great to see yet another from Nashville on here. You from Nashville or sourrounding area?

Sumner county.

Offline Willy D

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 04:50:09 pm »
While i was waiting to get my parts back from powder coating, i thought i would polish the fork lowers. I used my HF multitool to sand in the areas where i couldn't reach, then sanded them with 400 grit, next i went to the buffer with coarse compound, then the other side of the buffer with the fine compound.

Offline Ouch

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 08:11:39 am »
Awesome...i'm from Bedford county...below murfreesboro.....glad to see you on here

Offline Willy D

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 02:51:47 pm »
I too fell victim of the tear down process.
Nice bike. I watch American Pickers all the time. I dig all the stories and the history behind them.

Thanks-Wouldn't it be great to ride around all the time looking for "junk". You would really have to know what you are doing to make a living at it though!

Offline Willy D

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 02:57:51 pm »
I wanted to start putting some parts back on the bike so i could get a feel for what the clubman bars looked and felt like so i modified my milk crate to hold the frame while i worked on it.

Offline Willy D

fender chop
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 03:12:05 pm »
After remounting the back fender, i decided that it looked too long so i sectioned it about 5". Unfortunately i don't have a before picture to compare the finished part too. I plan to paint the fenders, so messing up the chrome was not an issue.

Offline JAG

• Expert
  • '74 CB750K, '72 CB500, '76 550K
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 04:48:16 pm »
Good to see someone else in the area.

It's looking great so far, glad to have you on the forum!
Cafe Racing is mainly a matter of taste. It is an atavistic mentality, a peculiar mix of low style, high speed, pure dumbness, and overweening commitment to the Cafe Life and all its dangerous pleasures. I am a Cafe Racer myself, on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions. ~H. S. Thompson~

Offline Willy D

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 08:06:21 pm »
Good to see someone else in the area.

It's looking great so far, glad to have you on the forum!
Thanks I hope to have it back together by spring.

Offline Willy D

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 06:41:02 pm »
Work on the bike has been slow lately, I have been trying to get the dual brakes mounted, and mocked up the clubman bars. I got my new seat cover in and installed recently. I'm trying to decide on a color for the bike. had some spray paint lying around so i painted one half gunmetal and the other black. Let me know which one you like.

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 06:53:26 pm »
Welcome aboard and good luck with the build.
You're certainly getting on with it.

Cheers
FJ
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline Willy D

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 06:27:15 am »
Welcome aboard and good luck with the build.
You're certainly getting on with it.

Cheers
FJ

Thanks, the weather here has been cold and wet so that leaves a lot more "basement" time.

Offline Willy D

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 07:58:52 pm »
A quick update, while i am waiting for some parts to come in so that i can reinstall the engine, I did some experimenting with spray cans of paint and came up with a paint scheme. I also finished up the brake lines for my dual disc setup.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 11:01:58 pm »
that frame colour is great,i was too scared to go other than black on mine.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 12:59:48 am »

Wuss      ;D ;D

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Willy D

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 05:59:49 am »
Thanks i kinda figured that since I stripped it all the way down i didn't want to go with black, i could have touched up the original without tearing it all the way down.

Offline Willy D

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 07:46:23 am »
I haven't posted in a while so here is a quick update. I got the engine back in along with all the wiring. Rebuilt my gauges, and bought some rearsets on Ebay. I'm in the process of making some mounting plates for the rearsets. I started with posterboard patterns, then moved to plywood so that i could put some weight on them.

Offline Willy D

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 07:47:22 am »
Here is a picture of the gauges
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 08:07:42 am by Willy D »

Offline Willy D

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 10:44:24 am »
I took my plywood brackets to work and made a drawing, them cut them out of aluminum on the cnc mill. Here are the finished brackets (except for polishing)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:36:32 am by Willy D »

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 01:25:15 pm »
thats coming along bloody well,wont be long now.