Author Topic: Structural integrity of Stock forks w/ out fender?  (Read 44473 times)

Offline stueveone

• Hot Shot
Re: Structural integrity of Stock forks w/ out fender?
« Reply #225 on: February 20, 2011, 10:43:28 pm »
"you don't turn in you turn the bars the opposite way to the corner"

Like you don't lean out to a turn!

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #226 on: February 20, 2011, 11:59:50 pm »

Funny you should say that..... :D   My wife had a friend over to stay over once and she was pestering me to take her for a ride, so i thought she must have been on a bike before and ended up taking her for a ride. The first corner we came to is a slow 20 mph left hand corner and she sat bolt upright and i nearly fell straight off the left hand side, the bloody bike dropped like a stone..... :o We both survived upright but i gave her a quick education on the side of the road before i went  any further with her on the back..... :P

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline socalenduro

• Hot Shot
« Reply #227 on: February 21, 2011, 07:08:55 am »
giving your wifes friend a ride just sounds like a good way to get in trouble....period
especially if she is spending the night

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #228 on: February 21, 2011, 02:31:08 pm »
giving your wifes friend a ride just sounds like a good way to get in trouble....period
especially if she is spending the night

Get your mind out of the gutter dude.... ;D  She's a nice lady but no oil painting.... ;)

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline stueveone

• Hot Shot
« Reply #229 on: February 21, 2011, 07:11:50 pm »
Ah hahaha! "No oil painting. . . "

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #230 on: February 21, 2011, 07:22:01 pm »

Funny you should say that..... :D   My wife had a friend over to stay over once and she was pestering me to take her for a ride, so i thought she must have been on a bike before and ended up taking her for a ride. The first corner we came to is a slow 20 mph left hand corner and she sat bolt upright and i nearly fell straight off the left hand side, the bloody bike dropped like a stone..... :o We both survived upright but i gave her a quick education on the side of the road before i went  any further with her on the back..... :P

Mick

After a few close calls, when I leaned left and the rider leaned right, I always told the ladies to wrap their arms around my waist, wrists locked together, and keep their boobies pressed against my back, so they could move with me rather than against me.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Grabcon

• Hot Shot
« Reply #231 on: February 21, 2011, 07:33:20 pm »
On these older Honda's the only way to keep the twist out of the front end is to put on a fork brace that goes on the lower legs. It must have an arch to go other the top of the fender. The fork brace will also eliminate that annoying brake caliper from binding as well when you turn the bike, when moving it around the garage. The only thing that keeps the lower legs from twisting is the axel.

Below are links to a couple of different manufactures. I have not used either brand, but I am sure with in the next two months I will be buying one of them. I have talked with Fast from the past and they say they don't have one to fit the 69 to 76 CB750k. They told me it need to have an arch to go over the top of the fender.

If you find something different let us know.

http://www.superbrace.com/products.asp?cat=34
http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-503/Fork-Brace-Honda-CB750F1/Detail
CB750   1974 - Gone
CB750F 1976 - Gone :(
CB550   1978 - Gone & now back
CB900F 1981 - Gone
ST1100 1991 - Gone
ST1100 2000 - Gone
VFR800 2008 - Gone
ST1300 2008 - Gone
BMW F700GS - Wife's
VFR1200X 2016 - Mine

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #232 on: February 21, 2011, 08:10:21 pm »
Fabricating a brace for the early bikes is very doable, but quickly becomes much more complicated if it has to accommodate the stock dust boots, as well as the stock fender.   
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline stueveone

• Hot Shot
« Reply #233 on: February 21, 2011, 09:19:34 pm »
Unless you are married to your fork lowers, nab a pair of later model units off eBay and call it a day. . .

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #234 on: February 22, 2011, 06:23:22 am »
Unless you are married to your fork lowers, nab a pair of later model units off eBay and call it a day. . .
Not that easy. Besides the diameter of the top of the leg being different, and the leg being shorter, the internals on the early forks (CB750) are completely different and the lowerlegs will not interchange. The early ones had upper and lower bushings that fit between the tube and the leg. The later ones, the tube rides directly in the leg with no bushings. Hence the ID of the later ones is smaller than the early ones.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline somesuch

• Hot Shot
« Reply #235 on: February 22, 2011, 08:54:41 am »
On these older Honda's the only way to keep the twist out of the front end is to put on a fork brace that goes on the lower legs. It must have an arch to go other the top of the fender. The fork brace will also eliminate that annoying brake caliper from binding as well when you turn the bike, when moving it around the garage. The only thing that keeps the lower legs from twisting is the axel.

Below are links to a couple of different manufactures. I have not used either brand, but I am sure with in the next two months I will be buying one of them. I have talked with Fast from the past and they say they don't have one to fit the 69 to 76 CB750k. They told me it need to have an arch to go over the top of the fender.

If you find something different let us know.

http://www.superbrace.com/products.asp?cat=34
http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-503/Fork-Brace-Honda-CB750F1/Detail

I posted before about the billet fork braces from Tkat.com. After much begging he started making the fork braces for the SOHC CB750. Really nice stuff compared to the cast aluminum ones I have seen/used before.

--Nick 

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #236 on: February 22, 2011, 09:31:48 am »
"I posted before about the billet fork braces from Tkat.com. After much begging he started making the fork braces for the SOHC CB750. Really nice stuff compared to the cast aluminum ones I have seen/used before.

--Nick  "

Was that on adifferent thread? I remember responding to your post. That Tkat.com product is really well thought out.  Hope people here give him some business.  And the design allows him to make whatever elevation on the bridge is required, as part of his machining process. It accomplishes the same as my brace posted earlier. But my elevation is acconplished with removable spacers which aren't as solid as having it be part of the clamp.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Toxic

• Expert
« Reply #237 on: February 22, 2011, 09:37:24 am »
I sent tkat.com an email so hopefully he will respond.

Offline socalenduro

• Hot Shot
« Reply #238 on: February 22, 2011, 06:58:57 pm »
i sent one sunday and got a response on tuesday so you should hear from them soon

Offline Goofaroo

• general nuisance
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #239 on: February 22, 2011, 09:43:44 pm »
Fabricating a brace for the early bikes is very doable, but quickly becomes much more complicated if it has to accommodate the stock dust boots, as well as the stock fender.   

That's the beauty of the factory brace that came on our Hondas and damned near every other motorcycle offered to the public over the last few decades. It's almost as if the design engineers knew what they were doing. 

Offline somesuch

• Hot Shot
« Reply #240 on: February 22, 2011, 09:49:49 pm »
The Tkat brace retains the use of factory boots, and clears the fender.

--Nick

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #241 on: February 22, 2011, 10:02:09 pm »

That's the beauty of the factory brace that came on our Hondas and damned near every other motorcycle offered to the public over the last few decades. It's almost as if the design engineers knew what they were doing. 

What were they thinking when they mounted the K7 brace in rubber bushings, which rendered it useless??

Offline Roach

• Expert
« Reply #242 on: February 22, 2011, 10:06:09 pm »
so im looking for a brace for my 78 550k. all i see on fast from the past all i see is 500k ones are they the same?
1978 CB550K Cafe Racer

Offline somesuch

• Hot Shot
« Reply #243 on: February 23, 2011, 08:26:56 am »
On tkat.com there is a fork brace measurement sheet with all the dimensions that he needs to make a brace. Since the 550K is very similar to a 750K (if not the same...I had the forks from one, and the lowers were the same) he can probably build you one.

--Nick

Offline socalenduro

• Hot Shot
« Reply #244 on: February 23, 2011, 08:17:47 pm »
and in my email he said cost would be around 125-150...
seems pretty reasonable for custom made

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #245 on: February 23, 2011, 08:29:50 pm »
I would think that to be very reasonable for custom made. Any pics?

Offline somesuch

• Hot Shot
« Reply #246 on: February 23, 2011, 11:41:15 pm »
It looks exactly like the one he has on his wesite http://tkat.com/forkbrace.html

http://www.tkat.com/forkbrace/brace_pieces.JPG

--Nick

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #247 on: February 24, 2011, 06:59:20 am »
It looks exactly like the one he has on his wesite http://tkat.com/forkbrace.html

http://www.tkat.com/forkbrace/brace_pieces.JPG

--Nick

I can't get over how cool that is. Great design, adaptable to anything. $150 is cheap for that.
Ride Safe:
Ron

Offline cobrajunkie

• Enthusiast
« Reply #248 on: February 24, 2011, 07:55:40 am »
Nice brace.  The Tarozzi I got from Fast from the Past is 100 bucks and is a gorgeous piece.  What years/models do they not carry?  I'll email them to let them know that there may be a sizable market here if they decide to make them.

Offline plug1

• Enthusiast
« Reply #249 on: February 24, 2011, 08:10:53 am »
I have yet to find a brace for a cb400f.