Author Topic: Shift Indicators  (Read 1362 times)

Offline GRock

Shift Indicators
« on: January 25, 2011, 03:53:41 am »
I've searched this and found nothing so I'm starting a new post. Does anybody have experience with using the aftermarket shift indicators? What kind are people using on their CB's?

Thanks,
Greg

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Shift Indicators
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 04:45:19 am »
I've ridden a bike with one something like this. It was fairly useless. There's no sensor for gear position in our bikes, and I don't think any of these things add one. A sensor would have to fit on the shift drum, and there's no room for it to go there easily.
You add a switch unit to the shift lever, so moving the lever up up changes the number up, and lever down = number down. This should work fine but the one I tried got out of sync fairly often so maybe the switch unit was maladjusted. Neutral wasn't shown, it showed 1 or 2 in neutral depending on which way I got to neutral. So the neutral light was still needed (it DOES have a switch on the shift drum).
Anyway, I have little trouble knowing what gear I'm in - and what does it matter if I'm wrong? I prefer to look at the road ahead rather than at superfluous instruments.

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 04:55:39 am »
Anyway, I have little trouble knowing what gear I'm in - and what does it matter if I'm wrong? I prefer to look at the road ahead rather than at superfluous instruments.
+1
Ride more and you will not need one.
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline wardenerd

• Expert
  • '77 550F '81 650C
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 05:10:20 am »
just do like I do and try to shift in to 6th gear a couple of times each day.

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 05:15:19 am »

You're just double checking that you are in fifth.  ;)
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline fishhead

• Hot Shot
  • Why don't you go.....Well, you know the rest.....
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 05:37:29 am »
I've had a few vintage ones that mounted to the shift drum (sold) but I never mounted one in my bike. They had fiber discs things with brass contacts that mounted to the outside of the shift mechanism and had copper "electronic fingers" that would ground in a "sequence" to show what gear you were in. A hole had to be cut in the engine side cover for the wires to exit the case.

Most of the "newer" styles (similar to what is pictured above) are usually for bikes with electronic speedos and tachs. They use some kind of "computer" to calculate what gear you are in by the inputs from the speedo and tach.
Quote from:  Vanna White

Photobucket slide show (Fishhead Big Brakes)
http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/dgfischer/Fishhead%20Big%20BRakes/?albumview=slideshow

Offline Mandic

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 05:37:55 am »

x2.  That is the only time I care or try it.  In traffic, go to hit it up and realize, "oops already in 5th".  Other than that, your gear just depends on that moment and rpm, so who cares which one you are in?
77 CB750F - Cafe/Daily Rider

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 06:17:56 am »
  I remember when I  put in my first 836 big bore kit,because of the extra power and torque my 5th gear "felt" like my old 4th and I would catch myself fishing for another gear up top for awhile  :D

Offline wardenerd

• Expert
  • '77 550F '81 650C
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 09:13:24 am »
ekpent  i really struggle when i go from the 550 to the 650.  The 550 is wheezer compared to the 650.

Offline KRONUS0100

• MAD MATT THE MANIAC
  • Expert
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 06:05:04 pm »
have done that "where the heck is 6th" thing myself to many times to count.   sometimes wish there was a 6th.
MATT
current bikes:  1976 CB750F, 1981 GS1100E
bikes owned:1981 GL1100I, 1990 GS500E, 1981 GS850, 1977 and 1979 GS750, 1974 CB750, 1975 CB750, and a 1982 GS750E

Offline GRock

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 08:13:56 pm »
     Maybe I should have included a bit of a back story after I read some of the replies. I'm relatively new to this motorcycle thing. My experience is two hours on a crotch rocket 20 years ago. I don't have a motorcycle license and my bike doesn't run. I have 20 years of O.R. experience in a level 1 trauma center and have seen more slabs of torn up meat on the table that will never know their butt from a hole in ground due to motorcycles. So, why am I doing this? Can't tell you, I don't know. It just looks fun and I like to tinker with #$%*. In the sense of "safety first", I thought knowing what gear your in would be a good thing but apparently not. I've talked to some people I know that ride and they say it's "not necessary, it's a feel thing, you'll see." So that's cool, I won't get one. I wasn't ready to buy, it was just something I was thinking about. I need to spend my money on getting it running, then a motorcycle safety course, helmet....

Thanks,
Greg

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 08:21:08 pm »
It's nice havin' a neutral light, if you can find neutral!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 08:32:55 pm »
In the sense of "safety first", I thought knowing what gear your in would be a good thing but apparently not. I've talked to some people I know that ride and they say it's "not necessary, it's a feel thing, you'll see." So that's cool, I won't get one. I wasn't ready to buy, it was just something I was thinking about. I need to spend my money on getting it running, then a motorcycle safety course, helmet....

Thanks,
Greg

I think that's a good decision, and the riders you've talked to are right, you just know.  After you've ridden your bike enough and get used to it, your brain automatically does the gear calculation based on your current speed and engine rpm without having to consciously think about it. 

As you've read, though, this doesn't stop even very experienced riders from trying to upshift into a gear that doesn't exist. ;D  My first sohc4 was a 400F, which has six gears.  I sold it 7 years ago and I still try to shift into 6th gear on my 750 every time I'm on the highway.

Offline nancy

• CB750 K2'ish - SOLD!! Triumph Sprint GT2011
  • Hot Shot
  • No worries matey..
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 04:49:52 pm »
I use my foot/boot to touch the gearchange lever upwards with subtle pressure - if UR in 4th still,..u will feel the gear, but if UR already in top,...the lever moved a mil or so. Don't very often find myself needing to pull in the clutch and attempt a 6th gear change.

Offline pdxPope

• Hit Shit, Hat Shat, Hut Shut,
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 05:17:51 pm »
Buy a GS series Suzuki- They all had a gear indicator light.

But, +100 on keeping your eyes on the road if you are a new rider!

-JP
The flowers say "Let's go shopping together..."
While the unicorn whispers "...for adult toys."

Offline Roach

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 05:28:18 pm »
all i have on my bike is a speedometer, chucked my tach and neutral light in the box of parts in my garage. was easy finding neutral before i put on my rearsets now not so much. seems to click right past it into second or right past it into first. anyone know why this might be?
1978 CB550K Cafe Racer

bollingball

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 05:39:04 pm »
I think it is just the way your foot is positioned with the rearsets

Offline nancy

• CB750 K2'ish - SOLD!! Triumph Sprint GT2011
  • Hot Shot
  • No worries matey..
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 06:27:54 pm »
Yes - you need to have 10 degrees additional rake added to your ankle joint.