Author Topic: Another Puget Sound CB550 cafe project  (Read 11963 times)

Offline neverendingproject

• Making the Northwest louder one road at a time
Another Puget Sound CB550 cafe project
« on: January 27, 2011, 09:20:37 am »
Hey everyone,

I'm finally making progress on my project so thought I'd start a thread to start documenting it.  I ended up with this particular bike after texting a friend about a CB550 on Craigslist to see what he thought.  He quickly replied saying he knew where one was and "knew the owner."  Turns out he had one hiding in his shed that I had seen but never realized what it was.  I have loved the cafe style for a while now but recently got turned on to Hondas specifically by watching an episode of Two Guys Garage of all things.  As most of you probably know this bike http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/bryfull/vehicles/19236 was built by one of the hosts, Bryan Fuller, and really spoke to me to the point that I began researching my next project.  This is my first bike but I'm a total car nut so the mechanical transition has been smooth.

Anyway, here is what I'm working with at this point

And here's one showing my rear wheel off center by about 1/8" which is better than the 1/2" it was off before I figured out the PO had the spacers swapped.  I've determined the last 1/8" is because the rim isn't centered on the hub.  Still, now that the spacers are installed correctly the chain doesn't line up.
'75 CB550 K1 Cafe Project

'72 CB500 Japanese market

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
Re: Another Puget Sound CB550 cafe project
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 09:27:13 am »
Welcome to the fray.
Looking forward to seeing where this build takes you.

Cheers
FJ
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline brandEn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 09:35:06 am »
Sweet! Subscribed....

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 07:02:32 am »
Thanks for the support!  Your two build threads were very informative and insprirational.  If my project turns out 10% as nice as either one I'll be happy  ;D

I'm concerned about tire clearance around my new seat hump so this is how I determined suspension travel

Yes I was nervous but I came up with 12 1/2" free length and about 9 3/8" compressed which seemed to be limited by coil bind.

Woops it won't work as is  :-\

I can either clearance the rear for the tire which might look odd or I can move it back a couple inches to gain some much needed room.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 08:44:48 pm »
Well I went through my right side switches since the kill switch didn't work. I was worried about the durability of spray paint so I decided to first sandblast it, paint with Krylon BBQ paint then bake just the aluminum pieces for 1.5 hours at 200 degrees F. I couldn't help but bang the pieces together a bit while assembling and there are no scratches at all so I'm confident they'll hold up ok.

Also I've determined that the rear drive/driven sprocket is off by 11/32" but before I go machining things can someone confirm that the seam in the back bone under the tank is actually the center of the bike?  You can see what I'm talking about in my first post.

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 07:31:17 am »
Found out I have a CB750 rear wheel or at least the part that holds the driven sprocket from one. It has 43 teeth giving me a 17/43t combo which is a far cry from the 17/37t I believe it came with. Since I'm going to machine down the cushion drive sprocket holder anyway I figured I'd take this opportunity to switch to a 520 chain. A little searching came up with this:

It's for an '88 NX650 and is very close to the stock sprocket here with just 1mm bigger I.D.

Does anyone see a problem other than spacing to make up the width difference? I don't think the difference in I.D. should affect anything in this application but please chime in with your thoughts.

Offline nickandkristy02

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 07:39:41 am »
i used a front sprocket from a yamaha banshee on my 550. just had to take a file and open it up from 5mm to 6mm probally would want it to fit a little snug then have it moveing around 1mm. but thats just me. anyone else???

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 11:32:12 am »
Thanks Nick I may have found something better from an '88 VTR250 that's available up to a 15 tooth front sprocket

Looks like it will work assuming I can use a 33 tooth rear sprocket without any clearance issues.

Offline q2418130103p

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 05:52:21 pm »
Thanks Nick I may have found something better from an '88 VTR250 that's available up to a 15 tooth front sprocket

Looks like it will work assuming I can use a 33 tooth rear sprocket without any clearance issues.

I was looking at this sprocket today too.

The stock sprocket has a chain center offset of 6.35mm, this sprocket has a chain center offset of 8.145mm.

That puts the chain ~1.8mm further away from the engine case.

Is that enough as to require an offset for the rear sprocket as well?
Check out my CB550 project thread:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=83097

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 09:05:50 am »
That's a little over 1/16" and I have read that the drive sprocket on some CB's possibly 750s have about 1/32" of lateral play. This doesn't seem like a lot to me over the distance we're talking about but I have no practical knowledge here. To be on the safe side you can always get the new sprocket and see what kind of spacer you need to make your combination as close to perfect as you want which will take into account your particular tolerance stack etc.

Hopefully someone with a little more chain experience than bicycles and an old Tote Gote will chime in here   :-\

Offline Bakeoff

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 10:35:53 am »
Another solution to your rear wheel clearance is one I used.  Grab shocks from a GL1000 or something similar.  They are about 1.5" longer and have stiffer springs.  Here's what mine looks like.

Stock

Goldwing shocks

Offline Kemp

• Hot Shot
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 09:19:18 am »
Interesting issue with the 750 rear wheel on a 550. I'm planning on doing the same thing with a build I'm starting. I have a rear wheel from a '76 CB750 for my 77'550K. Just rough measuring the unit it seems that the 550 and 750 hubs are the same width but the offset wheel spacers needed to align the front and rear wheels might be a bit different from 550 to 750. I think the sprocket offset from the hub is a bit different as well. To get a reference we need to align the front and rear wheels accurately. To line up the wheels, first line up the front wheel so that sitting on the bike it looks straight (good to have 2 people for this process). Next tape a 20 foot piece of string in it's middle to the middle of the front tire about four inches above the floor. Run the string down both sides of the front tire to the back wheel. Pull the string on each side so that it just touches the trailing edge of the front tire. Now at the back wheel, look to see the distance of the string on both sides of the rear tire from the leading edge of the side wall on each side of the rear tire. Sight down the string to insure your string is just contacting the trailing sidewall edge of the front tire as this insures you are running straight back on both side of the front tire. Now you will be able to see if your rear wheel is cocked to either side and if it is offset to either side of the front wheel. Once you have the wheels lined up, look at the markings on your swingarm for rear wheel alignment. If they are the same number of notches on either side, you can be sure that you can use them from now on to align your wheels or if there is a variance from one side to the other, make note of it for aligning the wheels in the future. Once the wheels are aligned, the string will show you how much the front wheel is offset with the back (if at all). For example, the string might show that rear wheel is offset to one side even though the wheels are in line with each other. You can also sight down from behind the bike looking at wheel alignment to verify what the string is telling you. You should be visually able to see the wheel offset or if cocked to one side or the other as you sight the leading and trailing edges of the tires sidewalls.
Once wheels are aligned you can see where you need to modify the rear wheel spacers to correct any offset between the front and rear wheels. Once that's done you can see if the chain lines up or if rear wheel sprocket needs to be offset to correct chain alignment. Sorry to be so long winded but I don't think you can assume the welded seam backbone is an accurate center, I think you need to actually align the wheels to get a proper reference.

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 02:39:23 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys!
I saw those shocks in your thread Bakeoff and was wondering how they affect the handling. I've changed my mind on how to go about the rear seat hump to get more clearance so hopefully I'll be able to get away with the stock length shocks but we'll see.

Kemp, I'll definitely measure more carefully like you describe before I do any machining for sprocket alignment. Right now it's a mess but there's no reason it can't be straight as an arrow with a little work right?

Oh and I'd like to plug my nut/bolt/hardware source in the Seattle area. It's on Stone way just South of Greenlake www.stonewayhardware.com they have lots of stainless, metric, hardened bolts studs etc. It took me a while of going to Tacoma Screw before I found these guys a few years ago so I thought I'd pass it on. 8)

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 12:21:43 am »
This might not have to do with the build directly but I was taking my 2 day/16 hour motorcycle class and got through the first day ok. The second day I was 10 minutes late and they hadn't even started. The instructor came up to me and said "Unfortunately you're late and I can't hold up the whole class for one person so you're going to have to call the office and schedule another class." Oh and pay the fee, take the first day again and all. This really turned me off to motorcycles in general. Drivers ed would never do that to someone so I think I'm done.

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 05:10:58 am »
You’re instructor sounds a bit anal, but you shouldn’t let one dick spoil a possible lifetime of motorcycling bliss.
Here at the “SOHC4 School of Cool” you can learn at your own pace and share your knowledge and accomplishments with our growing student body.

And we’ll even waive the fees.  ;D
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 10:11:46 am »
This might not have to do with the build directly but I was taking my 2 day/16 hour motorcycle class and got through the first day ok. The second day I was 10 minutes late and they hadn't even started. The instructor came up to me and said "Unfortunately you're late and I can't hold up the whole class for one person so you're going to have to call the office and schedule another class." Oh and pay the fee, take the first day again and all. This really turned me off to motorcycles in general. Drivers ed would never do that to someone so I think I'm done.

Oh c'mon NEP don't jump! I honestly believe a lot of riders don't have the card. I don't yet. It's something I'm not going to worry about getting my ride on the road. I'll take the course when I am one with my bike and know I can pass it no problem. Til then I'll just take little cruises around my neighborhood and to work.

Do you like Stoneway better than Tacoma Screw? Do they have a better selection and prices? I know you have to bug the counter guys at TS for anything. I like digging through the selection myself like in most hardware stores. I've heard Burien ACE hardware has a good selection of metric SS allen heads.

I really hope to see you riding around town on that 500 cafe you're building there.
"Just because you flush a boatload of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Stepfather the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 VG "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS
Another 1976 CB550K Cafe?

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline dirty dan

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 07:32:18 pm »
I'm trying to figure out your exhaust, it's a 4 but I only see two pipes... I can't tell where they merge.  :P I Like it, Care to share some more pictures? Was looking to do something similar on my 350F

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 02:46:32 am »
Hey guys, you're right and I'm getting back on the bike  ;D  This forum is great, I thought my Fiero forum was good but the support here is second to none. That and I couldn't stay away from my 550 very long. I even signed up for another course with a different company starting March 17. Second time's the charm right  ::)  Here's what I did to start my knee dent project:

The indents are just sitting there and I don't think I'll use them but I don't have access to a slip roller until Saturday so I'll just have to wait.

Duanob, Thank you for the support. Stone Way doesn't have great prices BUT you get to pick through the bins all you want. I doubt the selection is as good as Tacoma Screw but then I don't know what they have in stainless metric because it's all behind the counter ;)

dirty dan, the exhaust is just open with no baffles or packing. They just replace the stock mufflers using the stock head pipes. I think it sounds incredible but it's a bit loud for the cops around here. The reason you only see two is because I removed two of them but here's a pic of one side.

Offline dirty dan

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 06:39:43 am »
Ah! I see. Nice and easy, I'll have to do that. You know where to source those nice big tips? I can't seem to find anything quite like them.

These guys:

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:06:33 am by dirty dan »

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 09:22:45 am »
NEP I just went to Tacoma Screw with a pile of my old philip heads from my valve cover and they gave me all SS Allen heads plus some extra bolts and washers. It only cost me $6 well worth it. Just a warning though, the new allen heads slightly interefere with the exhaust valve tappet caps. At this point I'm just going with it. Looks good and they are way easier to get on and off.
"Just because you flush a boatload of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Stepfather the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 VG "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS
Another 1976 CB550K Cafe?

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 10:37:33 pm »
Got bored so I decided to make panels to hold the gas in  ;D

No more fuel filler off to one side. I will replace it with something else but in the center this time.

Pre-fitting the patch.

All patched up.

dirty dan: I'm not sure where to get tips like that. I wonder if he made the? I do know he has a build thread in here somewhere.

Duanob,
That sounds like a great deal, do you go to the one in Tacoma? I sometimes go to the one in Everett and have a feeling they charge me the "stupid hobbyist" price. I can see how they would interfere there and wonder if button heads would fit?

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 06:45:48 pm »
So I finally got my Triumph tail light but I'm afraid it might be too big. What do you guys think?

I would have to go with longer shocks like those Goldwings above. I would rather use the stock 12.5" shocks to keep it a bit lower but I wouldn't be able to use this light and keep full travel.

Offline Jt550

• Is more then just a F-in
  • Enthusiast
  • What have I gotten myself into...... Gotta Love It
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 02:35:32 am »
I'm really digging the build, keep up the good work.. It gives this poor schmuck hope that mine will one day meet the road again... ;D
Tyler Durden: You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your f*<king khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

-78 CB550k with a BIG #$%* Eating Grin-

Offline Jeremiah

• North City Vintage Honda
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 09:13:04 am »
cool build, those pipes are rad.  If you every need parts, you should stop by my shop in Lake City it's not far from you.  I have bunches of 550 parts and a box of wheel spacers/axles, special bolts, brackets, etc..

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 10:15:44 pm »
Thanks for the kind words guys. I grew up near Lake City by Jackson Park, what part are you from Jeremiah? And more importantly where do you keep your keys ;)

Took my bike on its first ride today! Ok so it was just from the garage to the back yard but it felt really good. Everything was rigged temporarily just to get it running so I could make room for my Fiero in the garage but it'll be back inside soon. Oh and I finally got my endorsement and had a lot of fun doing it. If you're local and decide to take the MSF course take a look at http://www.gowmst.com/ The instructors were worlds better than the guy from Evergreen Safety Council and were much more supportive and easy going. The main instructor actually does stunt shows on his sport bike if that tells you anything.

Here it is outside in the nice Spring weather we had today. It's currently under cover but I still miss having it in the garage.

My new gas tank for todays gas prices  ;D

Offline Lavis500

• Why don't you go ask a
  • Hot Shot
  • "Don't plan vast projects with half-vast ideas"
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 12:25:30 am »

Definitely like your gas tank!  lol

Is that a Metzeler ME77 on the rear?  What do you have on the front?  Lookin' for a new pair of shoes myself, and I've been contemplating those Metzelers, but I'm not sure what I'd pair it with.
"Whatever it is, I swear I didn't do it!"

'73 CB500 - Sally

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 02:04:19 am »
Ha!  Great minds buy old Hondas and drink Gatorade apparently.  Yep it's an ME77 and an old Nankang on the front.  The rear has plenty of tread but is probably harder than it should be and the front is cracked so bad I can see the inner tube.

I was thinking of going with these http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/6020/ITEM/Bridgestone-S11-Spitfire-Sport-Touring-Blackwall-Front-Tire.aspx in 100/90/19 front and 120/90/18 rear on the 750 rim.  I'm not sure if these will be sporty enough but the price is right.

Offline Lavis500

• Why don't you go ask a
  • Hot Shot
  • "Don't plan vast projects with half-vast ideas"
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 08:45:41 am »
Ah, ok.  I've been looking at this Continental for the front.  Price seems not too high and not too low.  http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/31005/ITEM/Continental-Conti-Ultra-TKV11-Front-Tire.aspx

Not sure If I should go with the matching TKV12 rear or spring for the Metzeler.
"Whatever it is, I swear I didn't do it!"

'73 CB500 - Sally

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 03:36:25 pm »
I wish I could comment on handling but I have ridden a total of maybe 100 feet on this bike  :-[
I've read good things about these http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/6014/ITEM/Bridgestone-Battlax-BT-45V-Sport-Touring-Front-Tire.aspx
One thing they have going for them is they have plenty of reviews already which is comforting when choosing a tire for anything.  The more I think about it the more it seems like a good idea to spend a little money on tires if you're going to want to have serious fun in the twisties.  I know I've regretted buying less than sporty tires for my cars.