Author Topic: CB400f. Realizing my dream bike.  (Read 19604 times)

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
Re: CB400f. Realizing my dream bike.
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2011, 05:26:37 am »
It shouldn't be bad at all.  It looks like by welding the stops where they need to be, I will only lose about 8* on each side.  It should be more than made up for by the quickened response gained by the shortened offset.  These forks ride great.  I have to admit, I stole the idea from one of my suzuki buddies.  He built a GS750 and added these forks, and man are they nice.  I have a set of fully built race tech stock forks and they feel like toys compared to these.  Not to mention the light years better braking.

Offline DanielB

• Enthusiast
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2011, 08:16:25 am »
What an awesome build, can't wait to see the finished product!
1977 CB550K - Project Thread: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80164.0

Other toys: 2003 Cobra | 2002 WS6

Offline kajtek

• Hot Shot
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2011, 04:41:57 am »
It shouldn't be bad at all.  It looks like by welding the stops where they need to be, I will only lose about 8* on each side.  It should be more than made up for by the quickened response gained by the shortened offset.  These forks ride great.  I have to admit, I stole the idea from one of my suzuki buddies.  He built a GS750 and added these forks, and man are they nice.  I have a set of fully built race tech stock forks and they feel like toys compared to these.  Not to mention the light years better braking.

cool, makes things a bit simpler. i was thinking of using zx6r or r6 forks, will definately look in to the ones you are using though :)
1978 honda cb400f supersport

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2011, 12:49:40 pm »
Sorry for the lack of updates here!  I have been pretty much investing all of my spare time and money into my new shop build so that I can have a good place to build this bike!  But here's what has been happening....

Basically, things (as usual) became a lot more complicated with this build. I have decided after much reading and drawing and perusing Tony Foale literature that the backbone is history on this bike. It will be cut out and replaced with a full tube spine that will prove to be much more rigid. The swing arm pivot were removed and rebuilt to accept a 17mm stainless hollow pivot bolt from an fzr and retain the stock needle bearings in the swinger. Also, the tins have completely changed after winning a bad ass tank made by legacy motorcycles at barbers. Yes she is going full race now. I am shooting for less than 300 lbs dry. I talked with Kevin and the rear disk hub will be here as soon as the spokes are done straight from South Africa. The front hub and brakes are finished, and the rear Moto Guzzi wheel is in hand. She is coming, but work is slow due to all funds being tied up in the shop build. For now, here are a few updated shots.....

Offline Cheffish

• Hot Shot
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2011, 05:07:27 pm »
Wow. Looking really good!

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2011, 05:14:05 pm »
Thanks Cheffish!

Offline Slams77

• Enthusiast
  • Naturally Aspirated
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2011, 07:05:13 pm »
Amazing stuff!

gsnorcal

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2011, 08:31:20 pm »
Nice progress! Those dual discs look sweet. Really like the tank as well.

Dave

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2011, 08:36:28 pm »
Thanks guys!  She's coming slowly but surely,  It's sad, I have most of the parts here to finish her, but the time and space is on lock until the shop is finished....but man will it be nice to have 1200 sq. feet of man cave awesomeness to build bikes in!

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2011, 10:52:58 am »
This build is taking a very exciting direction!
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline Bluegreen

• Hot Shot
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2011, 11:37:36 am »
I like where this is heading.

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2011, 03:21:44 pm »
man will it be nice to have 1200 sq. feet of man cave awesomeness to build bikes in!

Sweet! Love the new direction too, but 1200 sf of man cave is really awesome.

Cheers
FJ
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline veloracermike

• Hot Shot
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2011, 03:41:21 pm »
Wow this is going to be sick. Subscribed! 
WTB 400F Motor! PM me if you've got one!!!!!!!

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2011, 08:11:07 pm »
Thanks for all of the compliments fellas.  A side note, I just ordered a full fairing from Airtech for her.  So that should give you an idea where she's going!

Jimmy, I am super excited about the new garage.  My wife told me that if I was extra good this month, Santa might bring me a concrete pad to me for Christmas!  Haha!  Here's where she stands as of right now.  Water, net, and electric are trenched in, center drain is also trenched in.  All that's left is the rebar and the pad. 

Notice my last cafe build in the door for size comparison!  (It's what's left of a CB360)

Engineered trusses.

I can't wait.

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2011, 04:13:46 am »
You put up the roof before the pad?  :o
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline K5owner

• Enthusiast
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2011, 04:43:16 am »
Love the bike build and your new pole barn will be awesome. The scissor trusses are the only way to go. Nice work!
-Ray
-----------------------------------------------------
Remembering the past...   Livn' the dream

1975 Honda CB750 K5, Restored Aug/2011
1971 Honda CB175 K5, next project
1977 Honda CT70, swap meet scooter
2004 Honda NRX1800 (Rune), Cruiser
1977 Honda GL1000, daily driver

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2011, 07:56:15 am »
You put up the roof before the pad?  :o

Yep, it's pole barn construction that uses a floating pad.  All of the weight of the building is supported by the posts that are in the ground 4 feet.  The pad "floats" on the hard pack soil using rebar to keep it rigid.  Works great.  My pa has had one for 30 years and it has zero cracks in the slab.  Here's a really cool read on pole barn construction when you get the time:

http://www.pole-barn.info/how-to-build-pole-barn.html

K5, you are absolutely right man.  The scissor trusses give you the head room you need plus the nice rigidity.  I've been planning the thing for years, and finally bit the bullet.  Thanks for the compliments guys!

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2011, 08:17:36 am »
Thanks for the clarification.  I used to work construction in the summers when I was in HS, and I never saw that style before.

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2011, 08:42:21 am »
Yeah man!  It's a pretty common style of construction here at least.  It prevents the need for a footer for the slab to sit on which is good for me because concrete is insanely expensive!  It works well.  Pretty need design.

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2011, 09:10:02 am »
Ahhh... I just noticed that you're in the south.  I don't think that would ever fly up here in the land of the freeze/thaw cycle.

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2011, 09:21:21 am »
It would if you buried your posts below the freeze line.  That's the whole theory anyhow.  Our freeze depth is 11" here, but I buried my posts 4' deep.  A little overkill, but what the hey!

Offline hapakev

• Your Standard
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2011, 10:45:18 am »
Nice!!  I want one..........of each :)
Smoking Jack
1978 CB750F(ish)

"Keep moving forward, until you can no longer move" KP

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2011, 06:44:08 am »
bike is coming out great.
looking forward to seeing more

Offline Cru Jones

« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2012, 02:52:27 pm »
Do you have any closeups of the rearsets installed? I'm thinking of getting the rearsets from Motobits, but wanted to see them installed and to hear from you if there was any issues to be aware of. Thanks.

Offline Kanticoy

• Enthusiast
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2012, 02:57:11 pm »
Sorry for the lack of updates guys. Been hammering away at the shop. On the home stretch with it with a finish date of the vintage fest at barbers. Got a big crew coming in for that. First bike to get built in there? The 400f. You'll see it s soon as she gets going fellas.