Author Topic: CB750 Cam Lobe Lift vs Valve Lift  (Read 4038 times)

Hinomaru

CB750 Cam Lobe Lift vs Valve Lift
« on: February 04, 2011, 07:00:56 pm »
Been looking into 69-76 750 K aftermarket cams and both Megacycle and Web advertise valve lift not lobe lift. Dynomans DP series just provides a "lift" number and now I've hit the wall of confusion.

Take a Web #41 cam with a lobe lift of .328 and the advertised valve lift of .360 (Numbers provided by Web)

I'm assuming the difference must be in the rocker arm ratio.

If so, what is the stock rocker arm ratio?

If not, where is the .032 difference coming from?

What am I missing here ... ???

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Re: CB750 Cam Lobe Lift vs Valve Lift
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 07:31:41 pm »
Been looking into 69-76 750 K aftermarket cams and both Megacycle and Web advertise valve lift not lobe lift. Dynomans DP series just provides a "lift" number and now I've hit the wall of confusion.

Take a Web #41 cam with a lobe lift of .328 and the advertised valve lift of .360 (Numbers provided by Web)

I'm assuming the difference must be in the rocker arm ratio.

If so, what is the stock rocker arm ratio?

If not, where is the .032 difference coming from?

What am I missing here ... ???

Web #'s leave something to be desired. ;) I t has nothing to do with rocker ratio's etc.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Hinomaru

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 03:55:00 am »
MRieck, thanks for the sanity check!  ;D

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 09:29:36 am »
 You should call WEBCAM and talk to them. They are great people. I'm running a custom made WEBCAM in my turbo bike.   ;D
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Hinomaru

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 01:54:02 pm »
Blue,

I did call them and those are the lobe lift & valve lift numbers they provided me with over the phone and in a follow up email. There seems to be some confusion over at Web as to the correct lift number, so there won't be a # 41 grind for me... :(

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 03:00:26 pm »
Blue,

I did call them and those are the lobe lift & valve lift numbers they provided me with over the phone and in a follow up email. There seems to be some confusion over at Web as to the correct lift number, so there won't be a # 41 grind for me... :(

In honesty the 41 does very little in regard to performance.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Big Jay

• Expert
    • CBRzone
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 07:29:33 pm »
If you have both numbers you should be able to figure out the ratio.  I remember "back in the day" when one racer discovered that there was a slight variance in the ratios, rocker arm to rocker arm. He made a gauge that he could measure them. He would go to Honda dealers and have the parts guys get all of the rockers out, and he would go thru them looking for the ones with the best ratio.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 11:58:09 pm »
Belive it or not, I know a guy that did that with a bearing manufacturer, he had them send him thousands of rollers and about a hundred races, he would measure them all and pick the ones he wanted.
I think it's called taking blue printing to a new level. ;) He is a world authority on the particular motors that he builds, wether or not he put that much effort into all the motors he built or just the ones for his own use, I don't know but his motors are world renowned for being faster and better than the factory race motors of the day.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 04:52:27 am »
Belive it or not, I know a guy that did that with a bearing manufacturer, he had them send him thousands of rollers and about a hundred races, he would measure them all and pick the ones he wanted.
I think it's called taking blue printing to a new level. ;) He is a world authority on the particular motors that he builds, wether or not he put that much effort into all the motors he built or just the ones for his own use, I don't know but his motors are world renowned for being faster and better than the factory race motors of the day.

Sam. ;)

sounds like tony scott ;)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 06:06:01 am »
 ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 09:00:15 am »
 I'm really surprised that nobody ever made high ratio rocker arms for the honda. Like in the high performance world of VW drag cars.
 I use to run ratio's of 1.25, 1.4, 1.5, and 1.6 . The best rocker arm assembly's had needle bearings .   ;)
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !