Author Topic: World's quickest SOHC?  (Read 20162 times)

Offline voxonda

• Master
Re: World's quickest SOHC?
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2011, 11:47:37 am »
Seen it during a exhibition run on Zandvoort, incredible............................
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2011, 03:20:05 pm »
I had the pleasure of racing at a few meetings with Henk, fortunately for  me, not in the same class. :D :D :D :D :D Did I tell you I had raced in cloggie land Rob. ;)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline jweeks

• Hot Shot
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2011, 03:55:41 pm »
Just an attempt to get back on topic - My memory of the quickest SOHC Honda drag bike on gas ran sub 8.5 second et's. Somebody with a better memory than mine can give the name. Was on my side of the Atlantic. As I recall, he had clutch/clutch basket problems with the horsepower he was making. No turbo, no nitrous, no blowers involved. Tranny's weren't best for the application. With the right ratio's and a power adder I'd expect that you'd be into the 7's without nitromethane. Build a nitro bike today - you'd use none of the original parts. Replica's of the appearance of the motor at best. Back in the day, no one knew the correct nitro fuel/air ratio like they do today. With so much fuel going into each cylinder, you got to pray that each cylinder fires every time. One fouled plug(s) and the cylinder head tries to depart from the rest of the motor. The Harley nitro bikes have learned that one too often. Ballistic jackets and many attempts to tie down the cylinder heads try to keep the riders alive when things go boom. Back in the day, the riders were above at least one of the motors. Now almost all 4 cylinder nitro bikes put the boom parts behind the majority of the rider. Harley nitro bikes are down to the 6.1's. The four cylinder nitro bikes have relatively stagnated with about a 5.8 second best. Can they make more horsepower? I'd say yes. How do you stop an over 250 mph motorcycle? Carbon/carbon brakes and a lot of faith. Parachutes have their own life threatening problems when slowing down a top fuel bike. With little purses and few races for the top fuel bikes, the innovations have slowed significantly. If you check the Dragbike.com forums, there is a team building a sequential dual turbo/alky bike that they think can run with today's nitro bikes. (Over 7 horsepower per cubic inch) Apply today's technology to a SOHC motor and you can probably go very, very quick while spending a major amount of money. I'd recommend a spare driver, just in case.....

Jon Weeks

Offline Tom

• Enthusiast
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2011, 01:18:22 am »

At a guess Eric, it's Terry Vance. I asked on another forum and other think the same.

Sam. ;)

Yes Terry Vance see his leathers, Vance used to pilot a twin engined RC Engineering Rocket in about 1975 when he and Byron Hines both worked for Russ Collins at RC Engineering before they went out on there own.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 01:34:15 am by Tom »
'59 T120.,'70 T120R Had one new.,'69 CB750 Oz Sandy Ruby Red.,'69 CB750 Oz Sandy Blue Green.,'70 CB750 K0 Candy Gold.,'71 CB750 K1 Valley Green I bought new.,'71 CB750 K1 Candy Garnet Brown.,'76 Rickman Honda CR750 R.C. Eng Cobra Powered. Two CB750 Choppers a Amen Saviour and a a Santee rigid arm Softail. A ‘72 Z1 Jaffa, and lotsa fun Honda Monkey bikes.

Offline Tom

• Enthusiast
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2011, 02:16:48 am »
Buried in the thread of some other topic there was a question about the fastest SOHC Honda. I know how you all like pics, so I thought I'd share this with you. I obtained the picture when I ordered a Magnuson blower in the late seventies.

Cheers
Eric

RC Eng Scorcerer twin 1000 CB750 7.30 second/199.55Mph run in 1977 this record stood for 11 years

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67576.0

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/detail.aspx?RacerID=147&lpos=-1230px&letter=C&txtFname=&rblFname=S&txtLname=&rblLname=S&discipline=0
'59 T120.,'70 T120R Had one new.,'69 CB750 Oz Sandy Ruby Red.,'69 CB750 Oz Sandy Blue Green.,'70 CB750 K0 Candy Gold.,'71 CB750 K1 Valley Green I bought new.,'71 CB750 K1 Candy Garnet Brown.,'76 Rickman Honda CR750 R.C. Eng Cobra Powered. Two CB750 Choppers a Amen Saviour and a a Santee rigid arm Softail. A ‘72 Z1 Jaffa, and lotsa fun Honda Monkey bikes.