Author Topic: Berryman Chem-Dip Carburetor Cleaner  (Read 28327 times)

Offline CB750K_Loon

Berryman Chem-Dip Carburetor Cleaner
« on: February 15, 2011, 05:03:26 am »
Not sure where to post this topic. But here goes.  I'm rebuilding a set of '78 carbs (PD, CB750K).  After browsing and reading through many threads for tips and tricks I decided to go the Berryman Chem-Dip route since it was relatively cheap at $20 for a 3/4 gallon can at my local auto parts store.  Plus it has a basket so I can drop and retrieve parts rather easily. 

My carbs weren't really that gunky at all to begin with.  They have probably been sitting for ages.  Anhyhow, after leaving one of the carbs overnight, I was dissatisfied.  There was still crusty gunk in the float bowl.  So I decided to leave the carb in for around 48 hours.  Pulled them up, still crusty.  Totally dissatisfied with this cleaner.  I don't know what the hype is about, but it may be that the version I'm using is the California compliant formula.  All it does is slightly break down grime on the carb.  I still needed to scrub with a wire brush to get the surface grime off the carb body.  One question, is the Chem-Dip supposed to be caramel in color?  Maybe I got a used can and that's why it didn't work well...  Anyhow, going back to return this can and maybe they'll resell it just like that?!

Today, I am gonna go grab a bottle of Simple Green and see how that works.  I really don't want to shell out another $60 for an ultrasonic cleaner, but I'd rather have my carbs done the right way.  I am just a stickler for getting things clean.  Hopefully the SG will be enough.

I'll post pics when later today when I get to my camera.
1978 CB750K

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
Re: Berryman Chem-Dip Carburetor Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 08:14:47 am »
Doesn't sound like the Berryman's I've used.  The stuff I use dissolves anything that's not metal and is more of a light green color (iirc) when new. 

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 02:19:41 pm »
Mine was caramel like colored when new.  I have had no issues with Berrymans.  Maybe the crud you are talking about is harder than you think?  ???  Could it be old liner that hardened up?  ???  I can see where Berrymans would not remove something like that.  I do not think (my opinion folks) SG will do any better though.
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline CB750K_Loon

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 02:27:44 pm »
Ok, here are the pics I promised.

Here is carb body #1 before the plunge.

Here it is in the Chem-Dip.  Should the solution be this caramel color?

Here it is after the dip.  It looks mostly good, minor scrubbing with a brush also except...

The inside of the float bowl was still crusty after a 48 hour soak.  I had to get at it with a wire brush but it was a pain.

I also soaked carb #2 in Chem-Dip, but only for 24 hours.  Same results.  Anyhow, now carb bodies 1 and 2 are in full strength Simple Green.  I'll update tomorrow.   

Oh, by the way, I couldn't find any of the felt washers everyone keeps mentioning that was supposed to be on the throttle shaft.   I ordered 1/8" F5 felt and will proceed to make some replacements.
1978 CB750K

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 02:58:59 pm »
You may need something stronger to get that out or just scrape it out.  How strong?  I dunno, hopefully not strong enough to east the aluminum.

Y'all think "The Works" would be strong enough?
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline fishobos

• my latest 69 450CL Restored
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 03:54:39 pm »
Hey I tried soaking them in Phosphoric acid and they foamed up and made a mess but got real clean and back to the silver color they were when brand new. The only thing is is you have to cover the ends of the shafts or it will make them stiff.
1969 CL450
1969 CL350
!972 CL450
1975 400F
1977 400f
1975 550F

Offline CB750K_Loon

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 03:42:06 pm »
Here is the float bowl from carb 1 after a 3hr soak in Simple Green.

Here it is after a 20min hot bath in SG.

Dropped carb 1 in an SG hot bath.

Here is carb body 1 after a hot bath in SG.  You can see it's got the white powder residue.

Comparison of carb 1 (polished) with carb 3 (after SG hot bath).

Comparison of carb 1 and 3, both polished.

As you may notice, carb 1 (on the left) is slightly dull compared to the polished look of carb 3 (on the right).  Pay careful attention here! Dilute the Simple Green per the instructions! For tough cleaning, use 1:5 ratio of SG to water.  That's what it says on the label...  I should have paid closer attention to some of the comments on this forum.  I went full strength and the carbs were discolored for both #1 and #2.  With #3 I went with the 1:5 ratio and lightly polished whereas with 1 and 2, I had to put a good bit of elbow grease to get the carbs shining again.

Use whatever method you want, just be forewarned!  Analysis: neither Chem-Dip nor an SG hot bath got rid of the gunk in the float bowl.  You still have to get at it and scrape that crud off.  Maybe an ultrasonic cleaner would do the trick, but I need to put that $60-70 towards a rectifier and other things.
1978 CB750K

Offline whdtt

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 12:49:51 pm »
I'm not sure why you are having those results.  I bought a can of the Berrymans for my carbs this past winter.  I had to do a total rebuild on all 4 of them.  They were BAD, very, very bad.  I let Seafoam sit for about 8 months, and it crystallized, freezing EVERYTHING.  Every-damn-single part, screw, seal, EVERYTHING was frozen solid, and caked with a 16th of an inch of crap. 

98% of the stuff i cleaned only needed a ~20min soak.  The bowls and needle seat i did overnight.  Yes, it did require a little scrubbing, but i never had to break out anything more than a brass brush, even for the worst of the worse.  I think that you have a combination of 2 problems: 1) you are expecting miracles from the Chemdip.  Its good, but its not magic (and it no longer has MEK in it, anywhere).  2) your gunk has been stuck on for a long, long time.  Its no longer what it once was, and has converted chemically to something very, very stubborn.  If you have a dremel, those wire wheels are great for getting into nooks that hand tools cant. 

I'm a firm believer in the Berrymans stuff. 

Offline Stretch

• Enthusiast
  • They ain't all dirt roads!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 03:23:45 pm »
Berrymans changed the formula a year or two ago. Something to do with the EPA if I remember correctly. Anyway, the new stuff isn't nearly as good as the old. The old flavor you almost had to wear a respirator just to work with it. I usually spray the parts off pretty well with the aerosol version before I dip them. It helps to keep the dip from getting so dirty and I can get a lot more sets of carbs cleaned before its dirter than the carbs going in it.

A guy working at the local NAPA said his dad had a gallon of the old B'mans at his shop. I asked him to call his father and ask if he would take $40 for it and his dad declined my offer. He said he couldn't replace it at any price.
'78 CB750K
An assortment of Hondas, mostly V4s

Offline Sledgehammer

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 07:23:07 am »
Hey Loon,

Just a follow up question about the polishing, carb 3 looks great, what did you polish the body with? Thanks  :)

Offline sohc4Lat

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 09:42:34 am »
Straight Pine-Sol works soooooooo great! I can't take credit for the discovery. I think I learned of it on this site? ~Jeff

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 02:10:32 pm »
Buy a $2000.00 dollar 700W ultrasonic cleaner filled with trichlorethylene.
You will get the result you want.

Offline kball

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 11:50:04 pm »
Yup the old formula would take your skin off in a heartbeat. The new stuff takes forever and i've had some carbs turn a blackish color from being left in too long.

Offline slyguy

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 06:53:51 am »
I used Berrymans I had from a set I did last month on my Suzuki and had excellent results! These were from 70' and setting and yes, quite bad indeed! I did 1 at a time letting set for only 1.5-2.0 hrs. each then rinsed/sprayed with Gunk carb cleaner and blew out. I am very pleased with the job....

Offline Kenzo1979

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 05:26:17 am »
I bought a can of this stuff about 6 years ago.  It's brownish colored liquid, works very well.  I f they changed their formula, I'm gonna try to hold on to this stuff as long as I can.  I feel like it's giving me cancer as soon as I crack the lid...that means it's working, right? :) 

Try using a soft brass bristle wire wheel first.  I used one to clean the insides and outs of carbs (as well as everywhere else on the bike) many times.  Does a great jub of removing crust, also polishes things up a bit, especially the brass parts.
--Kenzo
** 71 CB500, 74 CB550, 76 CB400F, 77 CJ360t **

Offline pencil9

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 05:17:34 am »
I recently saw somewhere a makeshift 'ultrasonic' parts cleaner made of a plastic 3-gallon or so bucket with a vibrator sander firmly attached to the side !     At first I had a good laff on that, but after thinking a bit it seems like it would work great.   And LOTS cheaper than a 'real' one.     I'm in Syracuse, NY and it's still too cold in my unheated garage so I haven't tried it yet.    But I will, probly look for a cheapie sander at a flea market or mebbee harbor freight.    Probably could use any kind of container for this.    Maybe even mount the sander on the side of the Barrymans bucket.   but keep it covered well !

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 05:40:33 am »
I used carb cleaner for my jeep - back when i was trying to fix that pathetic Carter BBD craperator.  The cleaner would anything to bear metal, it worked like a charm.  Must be a different formula.

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 02:20:21 pm »
Your govt has made them change the formula from the old days
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 04:47:49 am »
Though the old formulas could make your carbs look brand new the stuff was also toxic as can be. Back in the 80's I stuck my bare hand into a gallon can of the stuff to nab a small part and with in minutes my hand was burning. The old formulas were so toxic that it got to the point that any shop using it had to go through very strict toxic waste disposal procedures mandated by the EPA to get rid of it. An auto parts store here in town that still had some of the old formula before the new stuff came out wouldn't sell the old stuff to just any customer that walked in, you had to be an owner of a shop/business that was aware of these EPA rules so that way proper disposal of it was your responsibility and also be aware of how to properly handle the stuff as in don't be sticking your bare hands into it.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 05:14:29 am »
Yep,thank the epa for takin all the good stuff away
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline bill440cars

• Feeling More & More,
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Tryin' To Slow Down "Time"!
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2016, 04:32:56 pm »

Haven't used any Berryman's in quite a while, but have heard great things about (should I say it?) Yamaha Carburetor Cleaner.
Member # 1969
PRAYERS ALWAYS FOR: Bre, Jeff & Virginia, Bear, Trevor & Brianna ( Close Friend's Daughter)
"Because HE lives, I can Face Tomorrow"                  
 You CAN Teach An Old Dog New Tricks, Just Takes A Little Bit Longer & A Lot More Patience!! 

Main Rides: '02 Durango, '71 Swinger & Dad's '93
                  Dakota LE 4x4 '66 CB77 & '72 SL350K2
Watch What You Step Into, It Could  End Up A Mess!