Author Topic: Let's go roadracing...continuing saga  (Read 187290 times)

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
Re: Picture Time...track update.
« Reply #375 on: June 06, 2012, 09:34:23 pm »
Congrats on the great results Brent!
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline FuZZie

• Expert
  • If I is expert, I can has cheezburger?
« Reply #376 on: June 07, 2012, 04:28:04 pm »
Very nice, CONGRATS! and thanks for sharing the pic's!

I like the record lap time the best, can you give the times?

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #377 on: June 07, 2012, 07:30:44 pm »
Very nice, CONGRATS! and thanks for sharing the pic's!

I like the record lap time the best, can you give the times?

Fuzzy, this place comprises four track configurations, we raced the shortest one @ 1.8km. The previous middleweight prod. class record was 1:04.557, now sits at 1:03.760.

EDIT; I should add for proper perspective, that the fastest time of the weekend was just under 1:01 in Period 4.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 04:26:48 am by bwaller »

Offline FuZZie

• Expert
« Reply #378 on: June 11, 2012, 05:28:18 pm »
So if I'm following you shaved 8/tenths a second off the track configuration you were racing on?

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #379 on: June 11, 2012, 05:41:43 pm »
That's about 7.5% ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  All Rider 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #380 on: June 11, 2012, 05:49:59 pm »
So if I'm following you shaved 8/tenths a second off the track configuration you were racing on?

10-4.

Here's another picture of Scott & I that was taken by Inside Motorcycles magazine. By my facial expression looks like I'm about to smack a freight train.  ;D Click to enlarge.

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
« Reply #381 on: June 11, 2012, 06:03:03 pm »
I like it Brent.
Focused and committed.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #382 on: June 11, 2012, 06:36:02 pm »
My bad on the previous math......but your GOOD on missing the 10-lb. flying insect at the upper right of the photo....... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #383 on: June 11, 2012, 10:13:12 pm »
Look at how close the toe to your right boot is to scraping. His tires don't have any "chicken strips" on them! Your oil catch pan probably has marks on it from any rougher tracks...its tucked way up there in puckerland.

Offline FuZZie

• Expert
« Reply #384 on: June 12, 2012, 04:25:01 pm »
My bad on the previous math......but your GOOD on missing the 10-lb. flying insect at the upper right of the photo....... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Damn I had to go back for a second look, I think he would have hurt...  ;)

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #385 on: July 18, 2012, 06:50:27 am »
Sorry guys, don't mean to keep everyone hanging, no crash damage but no finals either. I'm waiting for my son who went along last weekend to supply some video. Whether it's interesting or not we'll see.

I'll be back.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 06:54:13 am by bwaller »

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #386 on: July 19, 2012, 06:11:31 am »

Here's the cause of my problem which brought my weekend to a screeching halt (almost literally) in the first final Sunday. Very few of us suffered through offensive heat Friday to get some practise time in, but the bike ran like a top and I was getting up to speed.

Saturday went well, won the heat races for both classes and was on the pole for both finals. Cut to the sighting lap for the first race and my son claims the PA announcer reports my bike is smoking, but Tyler says the smoke is from the left side of the engine, not exhaust. I'm an engine guy and always take a look on the start line but for whatever reason did not this time. There had to be oil and I didn't see it, nor did the marshalls, but Tyler was on his feet thinking this wasn't good.

I was in second position and in T8 had to countersteer wide but still thought the tires hadn't built up proper heat. It wasn't lack of heat.  >:( The oil cooler split and was pumping oil back on the engine, through the gas tank tunnel and under the seat onto the left side of the rear tire. Two corners later in the esses the rear kicked out and hooked up again for a classic highside. I luckily stayed on it and avoided more disaster. I still didn't realise it was an oil issue and throttled towards the next lefthander....

In all the violence my front caliper pistons retracted and I arrived at the next corner pumping like mad to find brakes but not in time and went off track. Again I kept it upright but actually the lack of brakes saved my ass again because there was a sure crash in my future had I been able to slow enough to tip it into the lefthander.

Talking to Rob (Voxonda) I think there is a solution to bleed off some of the oil volume at the filter adaptor which should reduce the pressure in the cooler. I don't need this kind of excitement again. ;D

It might have been a different outcome, but as they say "that's racing." It's easier cleaning 1,5 litres of oil off the bike (there is no engine damage either) than to repair crash damage.  I should have some video on the weekend.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 07:12:00 am by bwaller »

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #387 on: July 19, 2012, 08:19:44 am »
could it have been damage from a flying stone?

a good reason to run some sort of mesh protector or something... or no cooler at all :)

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #388 on: July 19, 2012, 08:32:13 am »
could it have been damage from a flying stone?

a good reason to run some sort of mesh protector or something... or no cooler at all :)

I'd put my money on vibration / stress created by the 90 degree fitting below.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline FuZZie

• Expert
« Reply #389 on: July 19, 2012, 04:37:40 pm »
Glad your OK that could have ended so much worse
Talking to Rob (Voxonda) I think there is a solution to bleed off some of the oil volume at the filter adaptor which should reduce the pressure in the cooler. I don't need this kind of excitement again. ;D

So that fitting let go?

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #390 on: July 19, 2012, 05:00:41 pm »
no, the cooler developed a hair line crack were the white circle is on it in the previous picture.  I'd put my money on the oil lines working against the mount through vibration caused metal fatigue.  The top of the cooler is a stamping, and it cracked along the stamped fold area.
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #391 on: July 19, 2012, 06:20:39 pm »
The steel lines you see are original and the rest of the oil lines are flexible and the cooler hangs on one 6mm bolt. I set it all up so it hangs in place without any stress on fittings or the cooler. Of course it lives at 11K a lot of the time so vibration may play a part. It's a 650 Nighthawk cooler and there is a very large bleed hole in the original filter adaptor so not all the oil passes through the cooler. It's quite restricted in the original fittings and I chose to run all the oil volume through it so the pressure increase in the cooler would be dramatic over stock. Regardless, I've made a change in my adaptor which will help.

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #392 on: July 19, 2012, 07:37:38 pm »
Glad it wasn't worse and it was just a mess to clean up. Hopefully the next outing will be trouble free.

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #393 on: July 19, 2012, 08:10:34 pm »
Not saying it couldn't be/isn't pressure related bw, just find it hard to accept that you haven't blown some seals, if pressure is the only issue.  The Cortina could go as high as 140 on a cold start, at race temp about 10lb+ / 1000 rpm.  The worry was always about the seals, never the cooler, or lines.

I was thinking more in terms of sympathetic vibration, top against the bottom, with high rpm being a contributing factor.  You are stressing it more than most, it's why your on the pole.  Well that, and you can ride the wheels off the thing. ;D ;D

One other thing to consider is that heat cycles may have also contributed to metal fatigue.   A Nighthawk would never have seen the same kind of sustained rpms, and heat that your appyling.  It's the first real reliablity issue you've had, so I'm interested in what the solution is, and thinking out loud. ;)
1980 CB750F (project)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #394 on: July 20, 2012, 05:02:27 am »
I'm very pleased to see that you managed to dodge a bullet mate. ;D

Cheers,
Brian
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline Syscrush

• Expert
  • Sold. :(
« Reply #395 on: July 20, 2012, 08:36:28 am »
Cut to the sighting lap for the first race and my son claims the PA announcer reports my bike is smoking, but Tyler says the smoke is from the left side of the engine, not exhaust. I'm an engine guy and always take a look on the start line but for whatever reason did not this time. There had to be oil and I didn't see it, nor did the marshalls, but Tyler was on his feet thinking this wasn't good.

I was in secong position and in T8 had to countersteer wide but still thought the tires hadn't built up proper heat. It wasn't lack of heat.  >:( The oil cooler split and was pumping oil back on the engine, through the gas tank tunnel and under the seat onto the left side of the rear tire. Two corners later in the esses the rear kicked out and hooked up again for a classic highside. I luckily stayed on it and avoided more disaster. I still didn't realise it was an oil issue and throttled towards the next lefthander....

In all the violence my front caliper pistons retracted and I arrived at the next corner pumping like mad to find brakes but not in time and went off track. Again I kept it upright but actually the lack of brakes saved my ass again because there was a sure crash in my future had I been able to slow enough to tip it into the lefthander.
The commentator did notice the smoke and expressed concern during the sighting lap. He also noted that the marshals keep a close eye on things and that if they're letting you start it should be OK.

When you had your near-highside and motocross excursion, the crowd had a STRONG reaction.  I was checking settings on my camera like an idiot so I missed the excitement. :p

I'm cross-posting these pics from Tintop's thread, since I'm sure that some are reading here and not there, and the world needs more pics of your beautiful ride:

Before practice, lined up with a beautiful Katana rocking a set of Astralites.

Lined up before the sighting lap.

Too pretty/clean for the track!

On the pole, ready to go.

I came looking for you after talking to Tintop at his trailer, and we found your bike partially apart, with oil all over the left side of the rear wheel.  It looked like you did very well to keep that sucker upright!  I thought about snapping some pics, but I couldn't make myself do it. Better for people to see it shiny and on the pole where it belongs. :D
Life is precious: wear your f'n helmet!
There's nothing more expensive than a free bike...
FWIW, I'm not a shill for Race Tech - I've just got a thing for good suspension and the RTCE's are the most cost-effective mod for these old damping rod front ends.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #396 on: July 20, 2012, 09:01:07 am »
I'm very pleased to see that you managed to dodge a bullet mate. ;D

Cheers,
Brian

I'm with Brian on that one Brent, beter a bit of oil than a bent Brent ;D ;D ;D God must love you. ;)

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #397 on: July 20, 2012, 09:47:25 am »
Yes my disappointment is overshadowed by thankfulness for not being broken, (bike or body)  ;D Thanks for the pics Syscrush. I'm also not at all upset with the marshalls, they do a great job keeping everyone safe. I should have checked the engine over on the line, I won't forget from now on.

By the way guys Tim (4hundred4racer) offered me his mid prod bike to race. He's in the hunt for points too,  typical unselfish behavior for this guy..thanks Tim. Oh and when I refused your offer because of fear I might burst into flames if I straddled your Yamaha....that was a joke.  ::)

There wasn't much time before the next race and I had no way to effect repairs anyway. From now on I'll bring along an original oil filter & housing so I can remove the cooler if need be. I'm not sure I would trust a tire that had that much oil. I did use soap & a pressure washer when I got home but I'm going to change it anyway. I'm not sure it can ever be considered safe now.

I'm going to cut this cooler open to see if there is anything obvious.

Offline FuZZie

• Expert
« Reply #398 on: July 20, 2012, 01:47:50 pm »

Thanks I see the crack now, I'd thought the white was some kind of reflection..

I was thinking more in terms of sympathetic vibration, top against the bottom, with high rpm being a contributing factor.  You are stressing it more than most, it's why your on the pole.  Well that, and you can ride the wheels off the thing. ;D ;D

Looks like a stress crack, the type you get from flexing a piece of medal at the seam where you've put it thru a brake.
I'd look for vibration or erratic pressure changes something that could make it flex. Maybe something like the bypass system could be creating erratic pressures?

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #399 on: July 22, 2012, 06:04:04 am »
see what i mean by lucky? davide giugliano sprang an oil cooler leak in superpole, made badovini crash, then crashed himself.... a bit like you, he went on riding quite a bit without noticing....

Superpole - Brno 2012

badovini is from Biella, my girlfriend's small home town, so we're kind of  fans, but he's really unlucky this season... :) banged his head hard in the crash,

local TV later showed a close up from the radiator, stone or whatever it was went through protective metal mesh....
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 06:11:51 am by turboguzzi »