Author Topic: oooh memories...!!  (Read 1506 times)

Offline z1100r

oooh memories...!!
« on: February 17, 2011, 11:37:59 am »
Wow...I cant believe the stuff in here. I raced a Cb500/550 in the early eighties. The engine I did for my race bike is in my old 70's 500 that I've decided only this week to tidy up.

TZ500H with a Honda cb550 bored to 600cc with Kawasaki pistons and all sorts of other mods. I won a club championship on this bike about 1984. I included some of the story of the engine here.
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?topic=3362.0

As I strip it down and rebuild it some of you might be interested.

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Stop Global Tilting now!
    • Moto Northwest
Re: oooh memories...!!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 11:52:31 am »
Welcome aboard!

I'm sure many here will be interested in the rebuild, and specifics, of your race CB!
No.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 01:04:59 pm »
Welcome to the forum Gareth, I'm not sure we would be intrested in your re-build, but it would be nice if you re-built it into the Yamaha frame as it was. :D :D
There are quite a few members on here with F2 type bikes from that Period.
Do you still have the chassis that you raced and which championship did you win ?

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline z1100r

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 01:40:08 pm »

I didn't think you'd be interested in the bike, I was thinking the engine mods. I raced the bike for a couple of years after i built it. I raced against mainly RZ/RD 350 Yamahas, and other 600cc 4-strokes (Kawasaki 4's and Ducati twins). I sold the bike to a mate who also raced it for a year and then he had an offer he couldn't refuse for the genuine TZ500H rolling chassis. He went on to race CBR600's and I went onto TZ Yamahas.
  He sold my Honda race engine to another friend of ours who never used it for anything and I eventually bought it back and shoved it in my old 500-4.

When I built it I had a std cam welded and reprofiled by Joy cams, The GPZ305 pistons were installed by NGK racing (they did massive overbore Turbo drag bikes at the time).
 The gearbox and clutch mods,  all the gas flowing, combustion chamber re-shaping, valve enlarging, exhaust headers, carb mods, ignition mods, etc etc I did myself. It was a bloody quick bike and was all done properly, cost me a fortune in measuring equipment, burretes, scales, bore guages and the like. I tried about 5 camshaft profiles...believe it or not I settled on one not that far off a stock CB650.
 Even minus its bigger carbs and pipes its quick in that old bike. You dont see many rusty old 500-4's doing over 125mph - especially with a dicky screen and top box...hahaha

I guess I've covered it all there really...not much to see inside that will stand out particularly. Before I built the 600 I raced a Dixon racing Yoshimura 460. Its interesting to see what people are doing to these things now especially as times have moved on.

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 02:06:50 pm »
Tell us more about the GPZ305 pistons, the guys with the smaller fours on here are trying all sorts to get a decent piston set up. The cam profile that you mentioned on the UK site is also intresting, XL125 was it?
You still didn't say which championship you won, and why on earth did you sell the 500TZ chassis ?
With a name like you have, you must be from Wales, is that close? :D

Sam. ;)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 02:13:04 pm by SamCB750A »
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline z1100r

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 03:12:06 pm »
 No...not Wales....!!! Coventry...all my life. Honest.

I've read some threads on here and recognise some of the names ...Ron Roebury (who won the first race I ever did on a black bomber twin..pre LC days 2 strokes were mainly X7's), Dave Kirby (who lives just up the road and who I used to visit alot in the eighties, he made alot of race frames and exhausts). Dave actually gave me the right sand to do all my pipe bending for my exhausts and frame mods. The guy who got me into racing used to race a green and black Kirby Honda 460. They were all older blokes then though and comming to the end of racing themselves.

I cant remember the championship, I have a big trophy in the loft somewhere, I'll have a look at that when I go up to get my Honda bits. It was only a club championship though, not national.

The GPZ305 pistons are a lovely piston and look a bit like the Yoshimura slipper pistons they used to sell back when. Same size pin. I have lots of cams for the 500/550...both Yoshimura R&T and IOM, the Joy cams that I had re-profiled, all sorts, but I cant remember the exact one in the engine other than I know its not far off a CB650 lift and duration because of how tractable the engine is. Two of my spare engines have 2 of the cams in so I cant even sort it by deduction.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 03:17:03 pm by z1100r »