Author Topic: Do No Harm  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
Do No Harm
« on: February 28, 2011, 01:47:13 pm »
Okay, so I stripped an exhaust clamp hole today.  Not the end of the world by any means, but I did it while trying to stop an exhaust leak that made my bike sound like a lawnmower.  It got me thinking about breaking one thing while trying to fix another...SO, what have YOU broken on one of your bikes while trying to fix something else?

Offline detdrbuzzard

• Enthusiast
Re: Do No Harm
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 01:48:55 pm »
my pride   ;D
'75 cb750k, '79 cb750/9k,'84aspencade '93gl1500se, '79cb 750f '85 cb450 sc '05 sunL 70

Offline Skunk Stripe

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 01:49:57 pm »
Oh! First answer beats all others! ;D

Offline sportsvan

• birth, school, work, death
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 01:53:15 pm »
i fitted an oil filter kit to my bsa royal star 500 twin about 20 years ago. it came with no fitting instructions but did say it would double the engine life. i fitted it on the gravity feed from the oil tank. bike ran for 20 miles & then seized up !  should have fitted it on the pumped return !!!!

still have the bike though :)
78 750f supersport
78 xt 500
80 cb900fa
70 bsa royal star 500
2x 1970 mobylette 49cc mopeds
1972 mini clubman estate !

Offline Ernest T

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 05:17:05 pm »
i fitted an oil filter kit to my bsa royal star 500 twin about 20 years ago. it came with no fitting instructions but did say it would double the engine life. i fitted it on the gravity feed from the oil tank. bike ran for 20 miles & then seized up !  should have fitted it on the pumped return !!!!

still have the bike though :)

that's a good one, I think you're going to win.  I really haven't messed up a bike, but a thermostat change in a '65 Mustang ended up as an engine rebuild.

Markcb750

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 05:28:21 pm »
I also stripped a exhaust flange threaded hole while removing the original rusty pipes.  Trying to hit the original angles and properly install a Helicoil is a challenging job.

Offline cameron

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 05:39:39 pm »
I shorted a replacement turn signal and burnt out my alternator a number of years ago... :(
1976 CB550F

Offline Grabcon

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 05:44:32 pm »
Back in the day, I will say in 1972 or73, while changing the oil on my prized CB750k. I had a difficult time with the 12mm bolt on the oil filter. Why Honda put a 12mm hex on that cover bolt I have no idea. So it was hard to turn and the 12 point socket if I remember correctly started to slip. So I put on a 6 point like I should have in the first place and gave the ratchet a whack with the my trusty hammer.

Oh my lo and behold the oil filter cover came off, right on the the floor of the garage. Nope it didn't spin off it broke clean off at the case.

So let's talk about a sinking feeling in the old gut. Luckily my dad was a really smart machinist and welder and was able to fix it. I ran another 20k mile before I got rid of that bike.
CB750   1974 - Gone
CB750F 1976 - Gone :(
CB550   1978 - Gone & now back
CB900F 1981 - Gone
ST1100 1991 - Gone
ST1100 2000 - Gone
VFR800 2008 - Gone
ST1300 2008 - Gone
BMW F700GS - Wife's
VFR1200X 2016 - Mine

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 06:28:47 pm »
I shorted a replacement turn signal and burnt out my alternator a number of years ago... :(
Was this on a SOHC4?  Those alternator are self limiting, you can't pull out more than they make and they don't make enough to burn themselves out.

???
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 06:40:26 pm »
Why Honda put a 12mm hex on that cover bolt I have no idea.
... this is so ham hands won't apply ridiculous over torque to the threads in the block and strip them out.

So it was hard to turn and the 12 point socket if I remember correctly started to slip.

Yep, wrong tool choice. ...Especially if the bolt was over torqued when last installed (common occurrence with ham hands).

So I put on a 6 point like I should have in the first place and gave the ratchet a whack with the my trusty hammer.
Oh my lo and behold the oil filter cover came off, right on the the floor of the garage. Nope it didn't spin off it broke clean off at the case.

Hmmm... You'll note that the stock Honda tool kit does not include a hammer.  And, I don't recall anywhere in the shop manual where it recommends a hammer (or a sawz-all, or a wrecking ball).  ;D

Do many parts on the bike actually resemble a nail?  ;D

Cheers,

72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline Grabcon

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 08:21:44 pm »
So after almost 40 years we learn not to do things like that any more. Yea I as young an foolish and got a little carried away with the BFH.

But I will guarantee you that since then my tactics have changed. But I will tell you that every time now when I go to do that oil filter I am reminded of that day and there is no hammer in site.
CB750   1974 - Gone
CB750F 1976 - Gone :(
CB550   1978 - Gone & now back
CB900F 1981 - Gone
ST1100 1991 - Gone
ST1100 2000 - Gone
VFR800 2008 - Gone
ST1300 2008 - Gone
BMW F700GS - Wife's
VFR1200X 2016 - Mine

Offline faux fiddy

• Just becaus I'm the second post on the pissed off thread doesn't mean I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 08:48:32 pm »
Why Honda put a 12mm hex on that cover bolt I have no idea

I was wrenching on my front caliper bleed screw (six point box end) and backed off thinking I could twist that thing off and have another easy out thread on the forum.  

It never hurts to just apply pressure for an extended period of time, or as I did brace it against the tire where it would apply pressure to the head.

Don't forget heating the part's female threads, either, better than digging it out or putting it on a bridgeport.

Finally the thing came out, but rushing it could have caused lots bigger problems.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:10:46 pm by tree fiddy of industry »
^^^^^^^/l^^^^^^^^^^^^^^/l^^^
. . ______/ l_________________/  l
<'  '  '   '  o .  . . . . . . .................(
 ' VVVVV'   ')))))____>-''''''''''''''''''\  l
' . vvvv_   -              -                 \/

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 09:38:13 pm »
... this is so ham hands won't apply ridiculous over torque to the threads in the block and strip them out.

So it was hard to turn and the 12 point socket if I remember correctly started to slip.

Yep, wrong tool choice. ...Especially if the bolt was over torqued when last installed (common occurrence with ham hands).

So I put on a 6 point like I should have in the first place and gave the ratchet a whack with the my trusty hammer.

Hmmm... You'll note that the stock Honda tool kit does not include a hammer.  And, I don't recall anywhere in the shop manual where it recommends a hammer (or a sawz-all, or a wrecking ball).  ;D

Cheers,

Getting a bit sarcastic there  Mr L  ???
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline Gaither

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB550F
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 09:49:55 pm »
If that bolt is "stuck" use you 1/2-inch air wrench on it - adjusted to its LOWEST Setting. 'May take a few moments but it'll come right out without any damage.
Gaither ('77 CB550F)

Offline tmac

• Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 10:09:33 pm »
MY PIGGYBANK !!

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 10:18:14 pm »

Cheers,

I thought the smileys made it clear I was just ribbing.  I suppose some will just assume I'm evil on principle.

Sleep well, Fred!

Offline swellguy

• An electric cattle prod is a
  • Hot Shot
  • Divorce is so expensive because it's worth it.
    • http://ksphotos.com
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 10:38:43 pm »
I've learned that if I personally didn't tighten and torque a bolt, it hasn't been.

I built a bike a few years ago with a rear sprocket brake. I had most of the work done but things got crazy and I couldn't finish the build so I had a Harley friend/mechanic do the final assembly after paint and powdercoat. I took the wheels over but the brake discs/sprockets had only been finger tightened on because I wasn't sure about final spacing/spacers.

Well the mechanic thought everything was torqued and just put the bike together. As I rode it home, I started to hear this "eek, eek. eek" sound form the back end. All the bolts had backed out and pretty much ripped the brake form its mount. When I stopped, the rear caliper was hanging from the brake line, banging against one of the bottom rails.
This project started in confusion and will end in disarray.
--
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=76471.msg852227#msg852227

Offline Hush

• Finally they realise that I am an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • "Lady, I've heard it all before"!
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 10:46:56 pm »
You rock my world TT ha ha ha ;D

I waited a week for new rear shockies coming from DS in England for my 650, while fitting them I had difficulty getting the two hundred odd different rubber bushings that never quite fit properly into place.
Fortunately (or not  :D) my shed holds many of the previously mentioned BFH's so I whacked that damn rubber a beauty.
Hammer bounced off the rubber bush came back onto the pannier bag mount and was propelled onto my beautiful shiny black shockie.
Then I had one of those long sad moments we all experience as we contemplate harming ourselves for our own stupidity...but the moment passed and I realised that once the panniers were refitted only God and I would know the horrible secret it hid. ;)
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 11:49:21 am »

Cheers,

I thought the smileys made it clear I was just ribbing.  I suppose some will just assume I'm evil on principle.

Sleep well, Fred!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D..........JUst giving you sh!t about giving Grabcon sh!t Lloyd!!! Hey...I read you might wanna do part of the rally.We're talking about taking 4 to 49 to 88.......keeps it off of the big slabs. I'm not sure how the bay area gang is gonna get to 4 but I plan on jumping in at Farmington (about 20 miles east of Stockton). Hope you're able to make it!!!!
MEMBER # 257

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 10:32:02 am »
Onr really embaressing thing I did was to my trusty old Hillman Hunter (1972) I was working 16 hour shifts at the railways and life was a bit of a blurr, an orange light came up on the dash one morning going to work, in my comotose state I reasoned it was the alternator burning out so went to the wreckers and picked one up for $80 and waited for the old one to die.
About a week later the whole motor siezed up and I came to the realisation that orange is for oil, red is for alternator!
Very expensive mistake, we live and learn. :)
I think the thing I most like about motorcycling is the speed at which my brain must process information at to avoid the numb skulls who are eating pies, playing the ukulele, applying make-up etc in the comfort of their airconditioned armchairs as they make random attempts to kill me!!!!!!!

Offline cameron

• Hot Shot
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 03:30:26 pm »
Was this on a SOHC4?  Those alternator are self limiting, you can't pull out more than they make and they don't make enough to burn themselves out.

???

I'll tell you the story!

It was about 8 years ago... on my CB550.
I broke the side marker, right? (dont ask)
So I got a new one off ebay or something.. and I put it on. It went on fine, but I noticed it DIDNT BLINK. It just stayed on when I flipped it to that side.

Although I was annoyed.. I let it ride for a while, cuz I was busy and I like riding and I didn't need it too blink that bad.
Eventually the bike dies. Dead alternator.
I put 2+2 together, and I pull that marker apart... seems when they made the thing, one of the wires got pinched in the housing. It wasn't severed, but the chrome and the copper were touching. I rewired it, and it is still on my bike to this day.

Had to replace that alternator, though.

You tell me? I am only an egg.
1976 CB550F

Offline Hush

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 11:34:33 am »
Lesson learned eh Cameron, we increase our knowledge by emptying our wallets. ;D

Offline Brandotheamazing

• Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 01:45:40 pm »
my worst one wasn't on a bike, but a Buick.
I had a 68 LeSabre 4dr, 350 2bbl.

well it started "running out of fuel" over 20 mph, and i figured it was the fuel pump. and it was.
I changed it, what i didn't know what that it had been dumping fuel into the oil, so I took it out to drive the snot out of it, up and down town back and forth, and bam! BOOM, nasty rod knock, was the end of the car. man that thing was fun, i could fit 2 cb550's in the trunk!
-Brendan

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 02:47:51 pm »
That was a common problem back in the day. The diaphram in the pump craps out and the fuel pumps into the crankcase.I never fried an engine like that but I knew people that did.In the shop...that was the first thing you looked at after diagnosing a bad fuel pump....check the oil.
On a related note.....my first car...69 Chevelle SS396....me and a bud were driving down the freeway one night and my car started running like crap.It wouldn't go over 60 MPH and had a strong gas smell. My bud said my carb was overflowing and he would help me work on it the next day. Next day...I go pick him up and we go to Kragen's auto to get carb kit. He tells me to look at the carb and get the # off of it. I pop the hood (engine running) and look down and see gas shooting out of the seam on the fuel pump. I say.....we need a fuel pump...not a carb kit. I go in and buy a fuel pump and proceed to install it in the parts store parking lot. I'm having trouble getting the pump to seat against the engine block and after a few tries....realize that the pump lever isn't against the push rod that actuates the pump but sitting on top of it. Now I'm trying to get the rod out but it got bent and crammed into it's slot so it wouldn't come out and I realized I'm fcuked!!!.....Had to tow the car to a shop where they welded a bolt to the rod...pulled it out and installed a new pump properly. I was 18 and didn't have a good grip on mechanical stuff but hey!!!!......this is how we learn!!!! ;D
MEMBER # 257

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 02:55:37 pm »
Not my problem but i bought a 900 Boldor Honda in the 80's for next to nothing because of a large "Knock" in the engine. It seems the po had fitted the wrong baffle in the 4into1 and as revs increased the baffle was hitting the pipe, it did sound like a knock but on closer inspection it was indeed the baffle, the bike only had just over 2000 miles on it and ran like a dream.......Got that one dirt cheap.... ;) Have smacked my head plenty of times while working under cars though ..... ;)

Mick
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

bollingball

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 03:03:29 pm »
After about 45+years of turning wrenches you name it and I have probably done it. My 15 year old son just stripped out his first oil drain bolt I had to get the camera ;D ;D

Offline Gaither

• Hot Shot
  • '77 CB550F
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2011, 04:32:41 pm »
Far too many good engines have been ruined or at least damaged from bad fuel pump pouring gas into the oil pan. During years of messing with antique/collector cars, if it had been sitting a good while or if I even suspected a bad fuel pump, I simply replaced the pump. Too many of 'em will run great while diluting the oil and burning the engine down.

I'm sure I've thrown many good pumps away but it was very cheap insurance. I put it in the catagory of allowing an engine block to freeze and crack for the lack of a bit of antifreeze. Neither one is very smart.

I'm sure we've all screwed up more than once during our years of enjoying cars, trucks AND motorcycles. I know I have.
Gaither ('77 CB550F)

Offline cameron

• Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 04:37:29 pm »
Lesson learned eh Cameron, we increase our knowledge by emptying our wallets. ;D

When I do my taxes I file it under "tuition".
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 09:57:21 pm by cameron »
1976 CB550F

Offline faux fiddy

• Just becaus I'm the second post on the pissed off thread doesn't mean I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 07:20:55 pm »
Have smacked my head plenty of times while working under cars though ..... ;)

Mick

Yeah, knees on concrete a bunch here to regret. Nice to have some of this new space-aged packing material to kneel or lay on.  if I don't forget to use it.
^^^^^^^/l^^^^^^^^^^^^^^/l^^^
. . ______/ l_________________/  l
<'  '  '   '  o .  . . . . . . .................(
 ' VVVVV'   ')))))____>-''''''''''''''''''\  l
' . vvvv_   -              -                 \/

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 06:22:57 am »

Mick

Yeah, knees on concrete a bunch here to regret. Nice to have some of this new space-aged packing material to kneel or lay on.  if I don't forget to use it.

I feel your pain mate, i can't even kneel on concrete any more, too painful....
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2011, 09:37:48 am »

Mick

Yeah, knees on concrete a bunch here to regret. Nice to have some of this new space-aged packing material to kneel or lay on.  if I don't forget to use it.

I feel your pain mate, i can't even kneel on concrete any more, too painful....
carpet remnants 6'x10' section.
itll cost you a few bucks, but it will give you something comfie to park your bike, work, lay on.    
keeps any fluids off the floor too.  just toss when it gets too dirty.
...or just get yourself a pair of c*#k s*#ker shoes!   :P :D
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"