Author Topic: SOHC Dickshunary aka Dictionary.  (Read 25395 times)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
SOHC Dickshunary aka Dictionary.
« on: March 02, 2011, 08:55:48 am »
 KOrrect..

ie, You may pick up a KO basket for cheap, but it will cost 3-5K to get anywhere near KOrrect.. >:(
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 07:28:15 am by 754 »
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: SOHC Dickshunary
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 09:05:19 am »
i'll lay down a couple...

...you can sinkronize your crabs after washing them in the sink.

...having trouble bleeding my breaks
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 09:59:18 am »
I know I'll catch some (deserved) flack for this one, but here goes! ::) ;D

Cafe

As in:  I just picked up an old, neglected sohc4 for a steal, and I think I'm gonna "cafe" it.

Definition:  I'm very susceptible to popular trends and I don't have the time/money/patience to do a proper rebuild, so I'm gonna throw on a solo seat, some clubmans, and I'm gonna junk that ugly air box and put on some cheap pods because that air box is a pain in the ass when I have to keep pulling the carbs to figure out why my bike isn't running well instead of just doing a thorough clean and rebuild of them the first time, and then I'll get pissed at it because it runs even worse and I can never get those stupid carbs tuned right, and then I'll bolt on a ratty old 4-1 exhaust and ditch that useless, heavy center stand, and then I'll half-ass an attempt at converting to dual front discs but end up with two discs and only one working caliper instead, and then I'm gonna get rid of those ugly clocks because the needles just bounce around uselessy and put on a digital bicycle speedometer, and I'm gonna put on a super bright headlight and a Dyna-S because fukin' points are crappy, old technology and I don't want to learn how to adjust and set points anyway, and then I'm gonna curse this bike's old, anemic charging system because it can't keep the tiny battery I've installed in the seat hump charged, so then I'll change all the other bulbs to LED, and then I'll put on the fattest, cheapest tires I can find 'cuz I can't stand the look of those stock pizza-cutters and then #$%* about my bike not handling well but I don't care because it looks tits, and then I'll try to fix that with some cartridge emulators I heard about that will make your bike handle like a modern crotch rocket and put on these cheap, Chinese piggyback shocks I found on ebay because they make the bike look mean and fast but they're too long so I'll put on these lowering blocks while I'm at it but the shocks hit the chain guard making it rub the chain so I'll throw away that useless thing, and hey how do I hang this exhaust,  I guess I'll just use some of this pipe strap, and how much exhaust wrap do I need, and I think the engine is overheating so I'll put on this oil cooler, and the valve cover keeps leaking so I'll just use this gasket sealer instead of shelling out for new gaskets, and why did my engine make a loud screeching sound followed by a louder PING and then die? 

SCREW IT!  I'm sick of trying to get this POS running well!  I'll call it a cafe and try to sell it on ebay for $5,000 because I see that guy Carpy selling them for that much all the time, and hey, these things are rare, sought-after, vintage bikes, right?

;D ;D ;D ;D :-*

Offline Tom in Newcastle......Ontario

• Hot Shot
  • Newcastle Ontario
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 10:07:40 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cafe

As in:  I just picked up an old, neglected sohc4 for a steal, and I think I'm gonna "cafe" it.

Definition:  I'm very susceptible to popular trends and I don't have the time/money/patience to do a proper rebuild, so I'm gonna throw on a solo seat, some clubmans, and I'm gonna junk that ugly air box and put on some cheap pods because that air box is a pain in the ass when I have to keep pulling the carbs to figure out why my bike isn't running well instead of just doing a thorough clean and rebuild of them the first time, and then I'll get pissed at it because it runs even worse and I can never get those stupid carbs tuned right, and then I'll bolt on a ratty old 4-1 exhaust and ditch that useless, heavy center stand, and then I'll half-ass an attempt at converting to dual front discs but end up with two discs and only one working caliper instead, and then I'm gonna get rid of those ugly clocks because the needles just bounce around uselessy and put on a digital bicycle speedometer, and I'm gonna put on a super bright headlight and a Dyna-S because fukin' points are crappy, old technology and I don't want to learn how to adjust and set points anyway, and then I'm gonna curse this bike's old, anemic charging system because it can't keep the tiny battery I've installed in the seat hump charged, so then I'll change all the other bulbs to LED, and then I'll put on the fattest, cheapest tires I can find 'cuz I can't stand the look of those stock pizza-cutters and then #$%* about my bike not handling well but I don't care because it looks tits, and then I'll try to fix that with some cartridge emulators I heard about that will make your bike handle like a modern crotch rocket and put on these cheap, Chinese piggyback shocks I found on ebay because they make the bike look mean and fast but they're too long so I'll put on these lowering blocks while I'm at it but the shocks hit the chain guard making it rub the chain so I'll throw away that useless thing, and hey how do I hang this exhaust,  I guess I'll just use some of this pipe strap, and how much exhaust wrap do I need, and I think the engine is overheating so I'll put on this oil cooler, and the valve cover keeps leaking so I'll just use this gasket sealer instead of shelling out for new gaskets, and why did my engine make a loud screeching sound followed by a louder PING and then die? 

SCREW IT!  I'm sick of trying to get this POS running well!  I'll call it a cafe and try to sell it on ebay for $5,000 because I see that guy Carpy selling them for that much all the time, and hey, these things are rare, sought-after, vintage bikes, right?

1978 cb 550k......stock,my first re-build

Loud pipes suck.......

If you buy something.........pay for it !
If you sell something .......ship it !
If you say you are going to do something......do it !
If you have a question about something......ask it !
When the seller answers ........let him know whether you still want it or not !
If you receive something .....let the seller know you got it !
If you get something and are happy/un happy with it .....let the giver/seller know !
If you have any kind of issue,shipping/receiving/quality/price/shipping charges etc !
Communicate

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 10:22:58 am »
tell us how you REALLY feel, Gordon and dont hold back!  ::)

that was classic!   ;D :D
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 10:34:49 am »
Applause for Gordon!!!
 ;D

Could fall into the category of sad but true.  I'd like to see that definition in the FAQs somewhere.

You should make a def. of "bobber", and "rat bike", too.  Though there is likely a bunch of overlap.  ::)

Cheers,  ;D
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline Damfino

• Sneaky, Evil, Magnificent Bastard of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Look at the grouse! NYUK,NYUK,NYUK!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 10:56:51 am »

Two thumbs up to Gordon!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Your Message Here!
You can still call me 'Schmitty'

1976 CB 750
2014 CB 1100DLX
2015 Harley Davidson Freewheeler

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
Charles Manson

You've got to watch your back in the SSDB, this is where the clever guys get bored with bike talk and make poo jokes.
I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back. ~ RIP Mr. Borgnine  01/24/1917 - 07/08/2012  :'(

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 12:25:20 pm »
ROFL!  That was great Gordon!
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline Roach

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 02:20:13 pm »
hehe me like ;D well done I second the "bobber" "rat bike" thing.
that story did sound allot like my bike...at least i feel that i did allot more.... :(
1978 CB550K Cafe Racer

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 02:31:51 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D Funny but true..... :P
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Lenny55

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 03:23:54 pm »
Nice one!
'73 CB500

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 03:36:56 pm »

Cafe

Hey now, I've been working on a cafe bike >:(...sad and funny part is, most of the time, your exactly right! :D
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 05:20:23 pm »
Hey now, I've been working on a cafe bike >:(...sad and funny part is, most of the time, your exactly right! :D

I'm glad it's taken in the joking manner it was intended, even though it is made up entirely from actual events. ;D  I made sure to throw in a couple of things that I'm personally guilty of, so nobody could get too offended. ;)

Offline Roach

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 05:35:19 pm »
now lets all post are  bikes on ebay.. and let there be 100's of bid then pull them all right at the end so no one gets them but there rightful owners
1978 CB550K Cafe Racer

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 06:31:53 pm »
Can anyone tell me when Cafe Racer became synonymous with poor workmanship? 30 years ago it had a different meaning....
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Roach

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 06:43:11 pm »
lets just say that there are allot of people out there who cant visualise where they want there project to go. without a vision you end up not having knowing where to go. IE. the lines on the bike. and you don't have a budget so you go blowing your money in areas that never help the bike go from stocker to rocker.
1978 CB550K Cafe Racer

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 06:46:28 pm »
Can anyone tell me when Cafe Racer became synonymous with poor workmanship? 30 years ago it had a different meaning....
I think it happened about the time that millions of american dumbasses saw it on tv...
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 07:11:14 pm »
"just rebuilt"
Usually used as "I just had the carbs/motor/trans/wheels rebuilt by an expert, so my bike is worth a pile of cash.

What it means: everything that has been "rebuilt" will need to be gone over again, and damage from the re-builder repaired, sometimes at more expense than it would have cost to do it right the first time.   
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 09:24:53 pm »

I wouldn't say it's synonymous.  It's just that poorly thrown together "custom" sohc4's seem to outnumber the nice examples, and because the trend for the past 6 or 7 years has been cafe bikes, that's what most will end up being called until the next trend comes along.   

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 10:46:57 pm »
all the old bikes no matter what are advertised as cafe projects here,what if you dont want to a cafe?

Offline Really?

• I've come to the conclusion that I AM a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 05:20:35 am »
Are they really a cafe racer?  Who is racing?  Better yet, where are all the cafe's to race at/to/from?
I don't have a motorcycle, sold it ('85 Yamaha Venture Royale).  Haven't had a CB750 for over 40 years.

The Wife's Bike - 750K5
The Kid's Bike - 750K3

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 08:40:05 am »
 The one I ride is de-cafe or anti-cafe, but gets ridden to coffee  nearly every day...

I have had a few TT bikes... tavern to tavern...

SANDCAST
 Has several meanings the most irritating being, used as a keyword spamming technique,, which usually backfires.. The person viewing the auction gets so pissed that you called a K8 item sandcast, that they REFUSE to buy from the seller..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 10:12:05 am »
all the old bikes no matter what are advertised as cafe projects here,what if you dont want to a cafe?

Too bad!  That's all they got.  You'll get a cafe racer and you'll LIKE IT!!!!! >:(

sorry.  that's the dad coming out in me. ;D

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 10:14:35 am »

Too bad!  That's all they got.  You'll get a cafe racer and you'll LIKE IT!!!!! >:(

LOL!!

Offline bikerbart

• Master
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 01:27:31 pm »
HEY.I resemble that remark.I cant afford to "restore" so I make it my own and ride the sh*t out of it.Actually I Can now make my bike bone stock,but who would want that? ::)
its better to regret something you have done,than something you havent.Except playing with explosives.