Author Topic: Turning down front brake disc  (Read 1274 times)

Offline napoleonb

• Enthusiast
Turning down front brake disc
« on: March 06, 2011, 01:12:20 pm »
I was wondering what the pro's and con's are for turning the front brake discs down to let's say 4mm.
An other method for removing weight is drilling, which also produces more surface area and thus better heat deflection.
Over the years i've seen radial and axial drilling as well as "slotting" and milling pockets.

The original factory CR750 had turned discs that I know, but as we are a little further wiht our knowledge what in your opinion is best?
And did anybody turn down their discs and did they warp?

Thanks in advance

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
Re: Turning down front brake disc
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 02:40:17 pm »
Before you jump into heavy disc thinning remember that discs brakes also serve as a heat sink and that factor is directly related to disc mass. so lighter is not necesseraly better, surely not in tracks with heavy braking bits.

I've been running 4.5mm discs on a lightweight CB500/4, wouldnt go under 5mm on a 750 IMHO. Havent done any heavy drilling either, just a good pattern to keep all the pads clean, certainly have not "swiss cheesed" them

My 0.02$

Offline voxonda

• Master
Re: Turning down front brake disc
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 12:18:08 am »
I turned down the disks and drilled them. No warpage, but TG is right you'll heve to be careful and keep an eye on them. They are just no match for more modern disks. If you want to step forward go for other calipers, oem is crap.

Rob
Better sorry for failing then for the lack of trying.