Author Topic: Supercharged CB750 drag racer engine on Ebay  (Read 8833 times)

Offline H2Eric

• Hot Shot
Re: Supercharged CB750 drag racer engine on Ebay
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 12:49:16 am »
Anybody have any idea how the chopped off part of the tranny was sealed looks like the same procces as the old midget racer motors.....I am trying to collect picks of these older motors any help apreciated...Den

Having sliced off the back end of the motor removing the gearbox to make way for the Pete Miller 3-speed job the resulting hole was plugged with a quarter inch dural plate bolted to the back of the engine. There was another similar plate covering up the hole where sump plate was. There was then just a a semi-circular hole on the right where one  of the gearbox bearings was located which was plugged with a shaped piece of dural, bolted to the rear plate and the whole lot given a thin coating of sealant. Simples.

OK who made the winning bid? Anyone from the forum? Head up above the parapet please.

Cheers
Eric
Honda CR750
Honda CB750K3
Kawasaki 750H2B
Suzuki GS750
Honda CB175
Honda CB350F
Yamaha R1

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,94588.0.html

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Offline wannaby

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 12:08:07 pm »
Hi thanks for the info....guess what I am hoping to find is accual detailed photos of the complete process of chopping the tranny off seeing how and where the plates bolt on how the oil pan is cut and reused.what kind of oil pump set up..... asking alot I know....must be somebody out there that has documented this ......or mayby get some old busted up cases and experiment......already destroyed a set of cases from a hundred dollar kz kawasaki but didnt work out ..... :'(

Offline H2Eric

• Hot Shot
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 02:38:53 pm »
Sorry I can't provide any pics of the process of chopping the engine. I did it pre-digital camera age.
All I can say is that each engine will be different, so its just a matter of selecting a suitable place to make the cut that will leave some suitable points to drill and tap for the bolts that will hold the covering plates on. A band saw is a good starting point to get rid of most of the unwanted metal followed by machining to get a flat surface for the plates to bolt to.   I didn't bother with the original sump plate, I just bolted on a piece of dural instead. The oil pump drive was the tricky part, but I managed to incorporate that in with the drive for the magneto. No pics, but you might be able to gleam something from the pic that accompanied the e-bay listing. I used the standard CB750 oil pump bolted to a block of aluminium, which in turn was bolted to the housing for the magneto drive such that the gear on the oil pump would engage with side of the pulley driving the magneto.
The original Honda gearbox internals removed from this engine now reside in the engine with the JMR cylinder block.

Eric
Honda CR750
Honda CB750K3
Kawasaki 750H2B
Suzuki GS750
Honda CB175
Honda CB350F
Yamaha R1

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,94588.0.html

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Offline cavebear

• Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 04:33:19 pm »
I gave up bidding at 1100 USD. I'll just have to go back to my turbos
1975 MotoMartin 836cc
1976 Rickman 1150cc Turbo
1977 Seeley 890cc + 1/4 stroke
3 parts bikes,1970K0 to 1978ss

Get paid to do it,it's work; pay to do it,it's a hobby

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2011, 06:26:19 pm »
I gave up bidding at 1100 USD. I'll just have to go back to my turbos

:D :D :D :D  ;D   TURBO'S RULE !!   8)
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline wannaby

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 09:06:11 pm »
THX for the info Eric ...Guess ill still keep hacking at this kz might try to weld up the three holes left from the tranny chop ...only thing is they happen to be where the case halfs bolt up.... use lots of goop I guess .then have to figger out a spot to add oil and get an oil pump set up....or mayby give up and throw it all in the garbage....D