Author Topic: Replica Drumbrakes  (Read 16674 times)

Offline DresdaHonda

• Dresda RC181 Replica
Replica Drumbrakes
« on: September 10, 2010, 12:42:09 pm »
Hello Racers
There are so many replica brakes on the market, is there some there is better than others ?
I´, thinking of
Weight
Material
Price
For the
2 leading shoe rear brakes for Cr750 and RC181
4 leading shoe front brake for RC181 and RC166

To get a 2ls rearbrake, my idea was to use the CB72/77, but it's hasn't any rubber inside.
(hard to the gearbox, I think)
I'm sure there are some solutions
Hope for some usefull links and ideas
Peter

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
Re: Replica Drumbrakes
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 01:05:43 pm »

For the front, Menani makes repros of most of the quality 4LS fronts but they're not cheap, especially against the current US exchange rate. The least expensive is the 230mm Grimeca 4LS. Also, the Suzuki GT750 4LS is favored in the US primarily because of availability/price.

Motocicli Veloce (?) made (makes?) replacement side covers for the Grimeca that mimic the early RC Honda race brakes. A fellow in San Francisco used to make Ceriani style side covers for the Suzuki but I haven't spoken with him in years.

Interesting choice of the CB72/77 rear. I believe the CB77 may be larger. In fact, I have one I'm planning on using by flipping it left to right, repositioning the control levers, and mounting a cable guide to the brake sidecover. I'll be running it with a Suzuki front in Ceriani RR forks. Both are 36-spoke. The CB77 rear axle is the same diameter as a CB750. Please let us know the details if you get into the fitment before I do.

Rickman-Hondas didn't have cush drives either and I've never heard of anyone having a problem. Probably depends on your riding style. Good luck on your projects.  RR

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 02:03:43 pm »
A couple of weeks back, I contacted a guy who could replicate a RC144 petrol tank cap but you had to finish it off yourself.
His cataloge came today and he makes lots of different factory style brake plates that can be used with various drums to make works looking brakes. They make air scooped plates as seen on the factory Hondas of the 60s Most are around £130 a pop + 15%vat and postage.
No VAT outside EU.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline DresdaHonda

• Dresda RC181 Replica
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 02:11:09 pm »
I like to see that cataloge,what is the companys name ?
To RR
Can´t see any honda replica brake plates for 230mm Grimeca at athttp://www.motocicliveloci.it/inglese/catalogue/frenitamburo_uk.htm

-The CB72/77 rearbrake is 200mm

Here some usefull links for "standart" bikes
http://www.eurospares.com/drumbrak.htm
http://www.vintagebrake.com/tips.htm

Peter

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 02:33:16 pm »
Peter, It's
CHR Components LTD,
4 Robberds Way,
Bowthorpe Industrial Estate,
Norwich, NR5 9JF,
England.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 02:47:48 pm »
I'm not sure how you find it these days but we have a gallery, in it you may find the 7" twin leading shoe rear brake as fitted to the CR in my avatar, it uses CB160 running gear in the stock CB750 rear hub, made by the same people a few years back.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 03:08:59 pm »

"Can´t see any honda replica brake plates for 230mm Grimeca at athttp://www.motocicliveloci.it/inglese/catalogue/frenitamburo_uk.htm"

Sorry, I got it bassackwards... The guy in SF made Honda style for a Suzuki 4LS. The Ceriani style is at : http://www.discovolantemoto.co.uk/brakes/ceriani-replica-brake-plates/prod_184.html  RR

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 03:14:44 pm »

A couple of weeks back, I contacted a guy who could replicate a RC144 petrol tank cap but you had to finish it off yourself.
His cataloge came today and he makes lots of different factory style brake plates that can be used with various drums to make works looking brakes. They make air scooped plates as seen on the factory Hondas of the 60s Most are around £130 a pop + 15%vat and postage.
No VAT outside EU.

Sam. ;)
Sam, that's exciting stuff. Thanks for posting the company's name. Any chance you could have the catalog scanned and emailed as a pdf. I, for one, would be happy to pay a portion for someone to do that so you wouldn't be out of pocket. Yeah, I know you're not a techie, ergo the request.   ;D   Thanks.  RR

Offline DresdaHonda

• Dresda RC181 Replica
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 04:22:10 pm »
To RR
Your fellow in San Francisco, is it possible you can find him again ?
I wood like to buy one set for my 200mm 4ls Suzuki brake (for a CB77 caferacer project)

The idea with a Honda replica brake plate for a 230mm Grimeca is good
-if the price is right,-it is still a heavy brake (9,5 Kg)!
Peter

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 04:42:18 pm »

I seriously don't know, Peter. All I can say is that I'll try. He isn't a professional, so he may have made only a few sets and that was years ago.   8)  Ted

Offline DresdaHonda

• Dresda RC181 Replica
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 04:44:19 am »
To RR
That´s ok -the suzuki 4ls looks ok for a caferacer, but nice idea.
Here is a usefull link, to drumbrake info.
http://www.victorylibrary.com/brit/2LS-table.htm
Peter

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 06:10:20 am »

No VAT outside EU.

Sam. ;)
Sam, that's exciting stuff. Thanks for posting the company's name. Any chance you could have the catalog scanned and emailed as a pdf. I, for one, would be happy to pay a portion for someone to do that so you wouldn't be out of pocket. Yeah, I know you're not a techie, ergo the request.   ;D   Thanks.  RR

Not sure if CHR have improved their casting but the levers I had off them two years back were very very rough. Never used them as a result.
Drum brakes - well the beautiful Japanese made Smith Kanrin must be about the best - lots of others though like the Budamotor hungarian replicas. All available thorugh www.phildentonengineering.com.

Replica CR750 magnesium works hubs from either M3 in the US or www.discovolantemoto.co.uk in the UK - same source I believe, the old MV agusta foundry in Italy
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline Howell

• Honda the power of dreams
  • Hot Shot
    • CB500 classic racing
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 12:12:12 pm »
Hello Racers
There are so many replica brakes on the market, is there some there is better than others ?
I´, thinking of
Weight
Material
Price
For the
2 leading shoe rear brakes for Cr750 and RC181
4 leading shoe front brake for RC181 and RC166

To get a 2ls rearbrake, my idea was to use the CB72/77, but it's hasn't any rubber inside.
(hard to the gearbox, I think)
I'm sure there are some solutions
Hope for some usefull links and ideas
Peter

Look here for a Honda RC162 replica frontbrake :http://www.budamotor.hu/termekek.php?termek_id=1&language_id=2&b_menu_id=1
In the beginning of the raceseason we used the Honda replica , but during the season we bought a Fontana replica 250mm from a friend of us.
The Honda is good but the Fontana is much better.
At the rear we use a Honda Xr250 hub and brake.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 12:19:39 pm by Howell »
You meet the nicest people on a Honda

Offline DresdaHonda

• Dresda RC181 Replica
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 06:33:50 am »
NICE very nice, but you need a big wallet.

-I just saw a gt750 rear drum brake whit cush drives, look like 200mm, not sure.
Maybe the CB77 2ls rear plates, can be machined to fit.
No air scoopes, but a 2ls rear !!

Peter

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 12:07:00 pm »
The early CB450 and late CL77 models share the same 2-LS brakes.......210mm x 3.8mm

The front hubs are 40-spoke and the rears are 36 spoke.

Always wondered about intake scopes without exhaust.  Hansen racing has both on their modified panels.

Just a note about front drag by wide brake parts.  The electric bike ran low 130s mph in a GSXR chasis at last year's Bonneville Trials. They removed the brakes and ran 151 mph. I don't think it was about less weight.
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 01:04:06 pm »
Quote stolen from a mates forum re drag on a Kwak 750turbo.
It was the bar ends that did the job.

Massive congrats to Jeff (Tack1000) who cracked 200mph today with a run of 201.3mph at RAF Elvington. Jeff started off carefully and safe on the air/fuel with a run of 189mph, then worked his way up to 197, then a few runs at 199.4 - 199.8mph. He then started removing bits from the bike like bar end weights and concentrating even harder on his tuck and was rewarded with 201.3mph.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline freedomgli

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 08:03:08 am »
I just sent an e-mail to stuart at classichondaracing.co.uk but my message was refused by MAILER-DAEMON at cavedesigns.co.uk

Can anyone in the UK help?

Anybody heard of Stuart Branch or know a way to contact him via e-mail (I'm hoping to avoid international phone charges)?

I am looking to purchasing the CHR 8" left-hand side scooped front brake plate (part number AB003) to use on my Honda CB77 front hub.  I'm building a vintage race bike and this is just what I need to channel cooling air to my front brake.  It's nice to see someone has picked up where Tony Milk (RIP) left off but the bounced e-mail has me discouraged.

Offline lordmoonpie

• Master
  • Feal the Fear and do it anyway...
    • Moonpie
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 11:28:39 pm »
I don't think CHR have quite picked up where Tony left off freedomgli, they weren't producing anything like the quality that Tony managed and their casts were, as of four years ago anyway, very very rough and amateurish. Be sure before you part with any cash is what I'd say....
1994 Ducati 888 SP5
1951 Ducati 50cc Cucciolo
1981 Yamaha XV750 SE

Offline freedomgli

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 08:18:16 am »
Thanks.  I was able to talk to another racer in the UK who confirmed the same thing.  Apparently the castings have improved somewhat but the quality of the machine work is not there and many customers had trouble because they didn't fit properly.  What a shame as I think there is a real market for them if only they could improve the quality a bit.  I know I won't be spending $4,000 on a magnesium hub but I would spend $250 on a front brake plate with integrated scoop for my CB77 hub that makes it look and work like a works brake setup.

paul mcgee

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 01:54:19 pm »
i made a replica rear brake plate for my cr750  for the standard rear drum, if i new how to put picture on hear i would show what its like, easy enough to make your self,

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 02:54:50 am »
Are you not The Paul McGee that has a genuine CR750? welcome to the forum anyway. ;)

sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92

Offline Ricky_Racer

• Master
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 03:43:58 pm »
i made a replica rear brake plate for my cr750  for the standard rear drum, if i new how to put picture on hear i would show what its like, easy enough to make your self,

I told Paul I'd resize and upload his photos for him. Here ya'll go!   :)  RR