Author Topic: 750K4 Cam chain replacement?  (Read 3268 times)

Offline cooljerk

750K4 Cam chain replacement?
« on: March 19, 2011, 05:09:42 pm »
I had a frozen motor with the cam stuck in place by the immovable crank/stuck pistons. The cam was in the wrong position to free it. Without the cam free, I couldn't pry up the cylinders or release the head. (Yes, I tried all the fluid heat tricks to get things free.) It was time to get serious. I ended up cutting the cam chain. I suppose this means I will now have to split the case to get a new chain around the crank shaft sprocket. I really would rather avoid that. Is there a split chain with a master link available that can be fished around the crank sprocket or am I SOL? Some other solution? Where is a good source?

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
Re: 750K4 Cam chain replacement?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 05:38:40 pm »
I had a frozen motor with the cam stuck in place by the immovable crank/stuck pistons. The cam was in the wrong position to free it. Without the cam free, I couldn't pry up the cylinders or release the head. (Yes, I tried all the fluid heat tricks to get things free.) It was time to get serious. I ended up cutting the cam chain. I suppose this means I will now have to split the case to get a new chain around the crank shaft sprocket. I really would rather avoid that. Is there a split chain with a master link available that can be fished around the crank sprocket or am I SOL? Some other solution? Where is a good source?
Z1Enterprises.com has chains and "rivet" links. You'll need guidance on closing the link, but it can be done. Often not recommended but if I were in your position I'd do it without hesitation. CB450s have a link from the factory and I've never heard of one coming apart.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline cooljerk

Re: 750K4 Cam chain replacement?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 05:53:25 pm »
I think I just answered my own question...found split chain on line...yeah! No to get it installed.