Author Topic: Ethanol free (non-oxygenated) fuel availability  (Read 5412 times)

Offline vance

• Enthusiast
Ethanol free (non-oxygenated) fuel availability
« on: March 22, 2011, 03:03:13 pm »
We have all been reading on the forums the about the issues with running our bikes on the 10% ethanol fuel that is standard now. I did a quick search and found several websites that list gas stations that carry ethanol free fuel. Here are two.

http://pure-gas.org/
http://www.buyrealgas.com/

You can use these to search for non ethanol gas by your state. I was able to locate several in my area (Twin Cities, MN) Apparently, here in the state of Minnesota the non-oxygenated fuel is only legally to be used in collector cars, motorcycles, small engines, off road vehicles, etc...In other words you're not supposed to gas up your Subaru with it! It is probably the same situation in many states. I even found that the shell station around the corner has non-oxygenated fuel. If you find a station that carries ethanol free it will be only available at one or two pumps and there will be a big white sticker on the pump indicating "non-oxygenated".

Unfortunately it is more expensive and seems to be available in 91 octane only. I will give some of these fuels a try once riding season gets going here in MN and hopefully get similar or better performance, without the common ethanol gas issues and without having to find suitable additives to counteract the ethanol.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 03:18:09 pm by vance »
1977 cb550k "Old Gray Baby"

Offline Skunk Stripe

• Expert
Re: Ethanol free (non-oxygenated) fuel availability
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 09:25:32 am »
I have filled my cars many times with gas without any legal issues. I question if MN can force you to use e10 by law.

Offline Johnie

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Ethanol free (non-oxygenated) fuel availability
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 09:30:22 am »
I am in NE WI and the NO ETHANOL signs are popping up on a number of stations in the Oshkosh area. At first it was only the 91 octane. But now there are a few here that offer NO ETHANOL in any grade fuel. That is where I go all the time now. Glad to see it especially where my 750's are concerned.
1970 CB750K0 - Candy Ruby Red
1973 CB750K3 - Candy Bacchus Olive or Sunflake Orange
1970 Chevy Chevelle SS396 - Cortez Silver
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow

Oshkosh, WI  USA