Author Topic: AHRMA + WERA Vintage  (Read 2611 times)

Offline KMC

AHRMA + WERA Vintage
« on: March 22, 2011, 06:23:18 pm »
who races?  i've been around the vintage and modern road racing scene since dad started dragging me out in the early 80's.  he never raced, but was (and still is) a big fan.  one of his best friends started out in WERA then switched to AHRMA well over a decade ago.  great people.  pops finally started racing at age 63.  had a few get offs on the real fast bikes and now is looking to go vintage.

i run a R6 in WERA sportsman and national as well as a cbr F3 in WERA vintage.  we're debating about what to buy/build.  leaning towards XS650......but he's always been such a sucker for the SOHC 4's!  we have a '77 750F2 that he bought new.  i commute on it now and it's still near mint.

anyone run a 750 up north or in the mid-west?  we'll be at grattan for the first WERA round as well as the AHRMA round. 
wera - ama #9
ahrma - #25
michelin - amsoil - bell helmets - stg - woodcraft - yss - pit bull - gp tech - hyperpro - baxley
totalracingsolutions.com
cyclexchange.net

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Stop Global Tilting now!
    • Moto Northwest
Re: AHRMA + WERA Vintage
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 06:31:55 pm »
A well built 750 will still do 130, a very well built 750 will do 140+ish. I don't see much differnce between going down at 170 on a newer bike and 140 on a cb750.

I can't remember what class the XS50 runs in, but an insanely built one will still never be as fast as a well built cb750.

If he wants to ring the crap out of something while still being in some semi-safe crash speed, why not a cb400f, cb450 twin or cb350 twin?
No.

Offline KMC

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 06:54:42 pm »
newer bike accelerate so much harder as they are so much lighter.  things happen a lot quicker.

the old lead sleds can still go fast, just takes longer to get there.  XS650 does well on a road course due to the torque.  don't have to work quite as hard to ride them quickly.  he's a sucker for a fast bike though and has plenty.  we've got a '86 VFR750, '88 CBR1000F, '91 FZR1000 (160hp) and several more.

the CB400s are awesome, but i think he's more of a point/shoot guy and more suited for a bigger bike.  i just think he'll be more at home in AHRMA for obvious reasons.  dude is 67 and won't have to worry about some 20 yr. old punting him.
wera - ama #9
ahrma - #25
michelin - amsoil - bell helmets - stg - woodcraft - yss - pit bull - gp tech - hyperpro - baxley
totalracingsolutions.com
cyclexchange.net

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
    • Moto Northwest
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 09:00:47 pm »
What class does the xs650 run in?
No.

Offline ohiocaferacer

• Hot Shot
  • www.OHIOCAFERACERS.com
    • OHIO CAFE RACERS
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 06:25:15 am »
I dont have my rule book with me, but I think the xs650 and cb750 can run in couple classes like....Sportsman 750 and Formula 750. Have to check out the AHRMA website.....they have a downloadable rule book with all the bike and class break downs.

I've raced with AHRMA for several years now.....great group to race with.

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
    • Moto Northwest
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 08:05:16 am »
A 400lb 100rwhp cb750 or gs750 doesn't take that much longer to reach terminal velocity. Probably faster than your VFR750 does.

All on 30 and 40 year old frame, brake and suspension technology.

Sounds much safer than a modern bike at 140+ mph :P *

*This was a facetious statement.
No.

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 08:18:24 am »
CB750 can run in Historic production max overbore is first over.

Heavyweight Superbike, max disp 930 cc, and jump to Formula Vintage for second class

F750 max disp 762cc and Formula Vintage as second class

XS650 Yamaha

Sportsman 750cc and Formula Vintage as second class

KOS

AHRMA #37
220...221, whatever it takes.

Offline KMC

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 02:36:15 pm »
A 400lb 100rwhp cb750 or gs750 doesn't take that much longer to reach terminal velocity. Probably faster than your VFR750 does.

All on 30 and 40 year old frame, brake and suspension technology.

Sounds much safer than a modern bike at 140+ mph :P *

you don't have to sell me on the awesomeness of a 750.  i love them.  been riding one for 20 years.  i'd love to build one for racing.  first we need to figure out what pops will like best.  

kos - thanks for the info.  what bike and classes are you running?  in hw sbk and formula vintage, what are the restrictions with regards to forks/shocks/wheels?  i know craig breckon pretty well.  he runs a CBR600F1 front end on his ascott i believe.

btw - we've had the VFR out for some track days.  it will smack a CB750.  can't compare the two.

*This was a facetious statement.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 03:06:16 pm by mlinder »
wera - ama #9
ahrma - #25
totalracingsolutions.com
cyclexchange.net

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
    • Moto Northwest
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 03:07:54 pm »
Around the track, for sure, but you said your Dad was a point and squirt kinda guy.

There are plenty of cb750's owned by members here that will absolutely keep up with a vfr750 in a straight line, and many more that are close.

It's the whole turning and stopping part that might get you in trouble. :)
No.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 04:27:00 pm »
guys, unless somebody brings in here solid statistics about crashes/per rider/per lap according to the different classes, it's a bit of a pointless discussion.
Corner speeds will tend to be the same, whatever the bike, (actually higher in the smaller ones) and you usualy dont crash on the main straight.
Joey Dunlop, after years of doing the IOM on big fast tools at 200 mph was killed in a 125 race in Estonia. conclusions?

My 0.02$ ? CB/CR750's are lovely, sure, but i also think that we all know they are not cheap to be built into a fast AND reliable thing. If money is not an issue, then ignore my comment.

You might find more balanced views about what's the best tool for a specific class in the WERA forum. Here we are not really objective :)

TG

Offline mlinder

• "Kitten Puncher"
  • Really Old Timer ...
    • Moto Northwest
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 04:29:11 pm »
Yar, TG has it right.

I still say, if he is trying to step down on speed a bit, the 650/750's well built are going to get him into plenty of trouble.
No.

Offline kos

• Hot Shot
    • m3racing.com
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 01:31:17 pm »
Best thing to do is join AHRMA and you get the rule book for free. I could start listing the rules, but then I would leave one small thing off and you would be misled and we would not want that.

Good luck.

KOS
220...221, whatever it takes.