Author Topic: New project for a first timer CB550 build - Slowly getting back to it!  (Read 133592 times)

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
Re: New project for a first timer CB550 build
« Reply #225 on: November 16, 2014, 05:25:33 pm »
So this weekend was mostly about working on what I can while a number of parts are in transit or being worked on by others. To date I hadn't figured out what I was going to do with the alternator as mine was pretty narly looking. I was hoping Anders was going to make his 550 kit but that isn't looking all that great of a chance at the moment so enter an alternative. I reached out to Ricks and they said to try to clean up and test before sending them in and getting theirs.

One of the screws was already stripped. Drilled and backed it out.

So I tried using Metal Rescue on the Stator and Rotor and got some pretty good results. Followed back up with some light polishing as well. Didn't want to do to much work on them until I know they are good.

Field Coil measured 5.5 @ 200 Ohm and the Stator measured 1.5 @ 200 Ohm

Still not sure if everything is good to go. All the copper on the Stator looks good but some contacts on the interior look broken? But if everything is good to go I will clean the wiring up and recover and perhaps insulate the rotor and coils.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:56:05 pm by bambuhiphop »
75' CB550K -- Still in pieces but it rolls again!!!!

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #226 on: November 18, 2014, 07:34:32 pm »
Look what came in the mail today  ;D

Dynoman DP592/61s

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:56:21 pm by bambuhiphop »

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #227 on: November 18, 2014, 08:23:46 pm »
Where's the LIKE button when you need it?
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline skyline223

• willtuckermusic.com
« Reply #228 on: November 19, 2014, 04:17:20 pm »
Just read through every post of this thread. Your bike is going to be (well already is) a work of art when complete. Your attention to detail is outstanding... Keep up the good work!!
Will Tucker
willtuckermusic.com

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #229 on: November 19, 2014, 09:21:07 pm »
Just read through every post of this thread. Your bike is going to be (well already is) a work of art when complete. Your attention to detail is outstanding... Keep up the good work!!

Very kind, thanks.

Offline Godffery

• Godffery's Garage
  • Expert
  • Wisdom brings a realization of how little we know.
    • Godffery's Garage hosted by VinMoto.org
« Reply #230 on: November 20, 2014, 09:02:50 pm »

Look'n REAL good Man!
You sure this is your FIRST build..?  ; ]

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #231 on: November 22, 2014, 10:16:08 am »
Picked up the case and covers from the blaster yesterday. Pulled most the masking off late last night. Next up is to have the top case half decked along with the cylinder head (also bored and honed) and then I can start cleaning the case for paint prep.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:56:37 pm by bambuhiphop »

Offline _millmo

• Design Life
    • Portfolio site:
« Reply #232 on: November 25, 2014, 08:02:54 pm »
So did the stator coli/rotor turn out to be good?  Seems like all of the stator rotors have the same gash running down the middle.  My coil is showing 1.3 (on a digital, single ohm "selection" meter) between the yellows so i'm pretty sure it's bad.  Just hard to tell which one on ebay actually tests good.

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #233 on: November 26, 2014, 08:39:16 am »
So did the stator coli/rotor turn out to be good?  Seems like all of the stator rotors have the same gash running down the middle.  My coil is showing 1.3 (on a digital, single ohm "selection" meter) between the yellows so i'm pretty sure it's bad.  Just hard to tell which one on ebay actually tests good.

Field coil and rotor seem to be fine. Jury is still out on the stator. I haven't been able to test it further. I will probably wait until the engine is back in the bike and then work through the electrical gremlins.

Take a look at Ricks. If I need to have something repaired or rebuilt I will more than likely send there. http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #234 on: November 30, 2014, 10:58:19 pm »
Small items:

Here are the other parts that I picked up from the blaster.

Also, got a slew of random parts in awhile back. Always fun seeing so many OEM bags!

Working on my paint process. I am getting better I think! Cleaned up the oil pump and sprayed it. I know it will be covered in all but it should still look good!  ::) (and a good practice part in case I screw up the paint)

Ran the small upper covers and the starter cover thru the dishwasher as test pieces. Came out pretty good. The steel on them flashed a little but was very easy to clean up. I don't expect that issue with the other parts. Dried them off, degreased with some simple green, and wiped down with some denatured. Tagged them with primer coats so they are nice and protected. Will still need to wet sand them so they are nice and smooth but should otherwise be ready for paint when the other pieces are set.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:57:19 pm by bambuhiphop »

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #235 on: December 01, 2014, 02:55:01 am »
Don't wet sand them too much, as paint needs a bit of "scratch" or "tooth" in the primer to bond with. 400 is plenty smooth and anything above it and you may suffer adhesion failure.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #236 on: December 01, 2014, 09:57:07 am »
Don't wet sand them too much, as paint needs a bit of "scratch" or "tooth" in the primer to bond with. 400 is plenty smooth and anything above it and you may suffer adhesion failure.

Just a light sanding here and there. Nothing to aggressive.

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #237 on: December 05, 2014, 11:27:13 pm »
Not to much to report. It has been a little wet here so painting windows have been small. Got some new F2 nuts and bolts for the rods which are mriecks superb care at the moment along with some new exhaust studs.

I have been cleaning parts that were blasted. Most everything has made a run though the dishwasher. Still a bunch of cleaning to do though.

Was able to tag two pieces with primer tonight. Need to figure out some better dust control measures so I don't have to wet sand as much.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:57:57 pm by bambuhiphop »

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #238 on: December 29, 2014, 12:12:45 am »
Snapped a quick pic of latest work.

Paint is still wet in this pic and I need to go back through and clean up and recover spots I missed but this is what I have been working on for the last 3 weeks off and on. So much prep work just to get to this point!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:58:13 pm by bambuhiphop »

Offline Bootsey

• Hot Shot
« Reply #239 on: December 29, 2014, 12:17:36 am »
Glyptal?

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #240 on: December 29, 2014, 08:19:02 am »

Offline DustyRags

• I'm not skilled, I'm just a
  • Hot Shot
  • Just try it and see what happens
« Reply #241 on: January 06, 2015, 08:21:37 pm »
Lookin' good!  8)
1976 CB550K- sold
2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 500- sold
2000 CB750 Nighthawk - sold
1975 XL350 - crashed
2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650 - sold

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #242 on: January 07, 2015, 09:14:58 pm »
Lookin' good!  8)

Thanks Dusty. Going slow but going.

Was able to get a few little things done over the busy holiday season.

Got glyptal all finished, painting that is, on the lower case. Still need to clean the gasket surfaces and such and then bake. But the bulk of the painting is done on this piece. Have about 10 hours of prep in it and 3 hours of painting the glyptal. (some pics aren't that great. Haven't had time to get new batteries for the flash)

Clutch side of the lower case:

Drive side of the lower case:

Was also able to work on the Drive side cover and the oil pan. These are basically ready to be baked at this point. Just need to find a free day with no one home and some more outside warmth for venting. Started with cleaning them and removing the contaminant layer. Basic process for all the pieces I am following is this:

1. Soda blasted everything.
2. Mineral blasted exteriors.
3. Ran through the dishwasher.
4. Wipe down with Simple Green.
5. Wipe down with denatured alcohol.
6. Cleaned with a brash dremel brush at lower rpm and light pressure.
7. Wiped down again with denatured alcohol.
8. Blown out with air.
9. PAINT!!!

Oil pan:

Drive Side Cover:

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:59:10 pm by bambuhiphop »

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #243 on: January 08, 2015, 03:43:29 am »
You've got that process and application of glyptal down! Underside of valve cover and inside of oil filter housing too?
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #244 on: January 08, 2015, 07:49:36 am »
You've got that process and application of glyptal down! Underside of valve cover and inside of oil filter housing too?

I hope so. The prep work time for doing this is insane but I love it. Such a fun learning experience! Not the oil filter housing as I won't be using the stock one. Hope to run a remote filter with a cooler. Haven't decide on the valve cover. In the other builds I have seen Glyptal used I haven't seen anyone paint there so... undecided I am.

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #245 on: January 09, 2015, 02:04:26 pm »
Be very very very fastidious on cleaning the motor threaded portions, blasting media, especially sand blasting media can get into threaded holes and cause SERIOUS problems for reassembly. Saw someone on SOHC/4 who wasn't as diligent as they should have been and media had worked its way into the tappet/cam cover's tappet threads and they ended up with a tappet thread totally messed up. Very difficult to impossible to repair easily if at all. You know what the media will do if it makes its way into oil passages. That is what I would fear, a dishwasher is going to free up any media but, will it redeposit it somewhere it wasn't previously in an unseen engine passage.  Maybe that's the best way to clean them after coming back from the blaster, I don't know. I'm ignorant on that.

Build looks great. Some nice looking candy you are creating... ;)

David 
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #246 on: January 09, 2015, 02:13:59 pm »
Be very very very fastidious on cleaning the motor threaded portions, blasting media, especially sand blasting media can get into threaded holes and cause SERIOUS problems for reassembly. Saw someone on SOHC/4 who wasn't as diligent as they should have been and media had worked its way into the tappet/cam cover's tappet threads and they ended up with a tappet thread totally messed up. Very difficult to impossible to repair easily if at all. You know what the media will do if it makes its way into oil passages. That is what I would fear, a dishwasher is going to free up any media but, will it redeposit it somewhere it wasn't previously in an unseen engine passage.  Maybe that's the best way to clean them after coming back from the blaster, I don't know. I'm ignorant on that.

Build looks great. Some nice looking candy you are creating... ;)

David 

Thanks for the heads up.

I actually cleaned out all the oil galley's with a degreaser and denatured. I used my rifle cleaner with some coffee filters until they pulled through white, then followed up with a barrel cleaner. And finally blew out with compressed air.
I have also gone through all the threads with a cue tip so far. Before I assemble I plan on clean all the threads and passages with a nylon brush and denatured alcohol, and then a final rough with the air compressor.
Have also gone over all the gasket surfaces with a grey scotch brite and some denatured to get them smooth and clean of crap.

Offline steveed

« Reply #247 on: January 09, 2015, 02:34:43 pm »
Looks amazing so far, hoping my cb550 build goes as well. What size is that rear rim? Are you using offset  sprockets at all?

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #248 on: January 10, 2015, 11:49:31 am »
Looks amazing so far, hoping my cb550 build goes as well. What size is that rear rim? Are you using offset  sprockets at all?

Rear rim is an sun rim, RSWM618 (3.5) with a Avon Roadrider 130/17-18 tire. No offset sprocket. I converted to a 520 chain and got a new 17t front and 41t rear sprocket.

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #249 on: January 10, 2015, 03:34:50 pm »
Got my rods back in the mail today! Balance, polished, shot peen, and F2 nuts and bolts modified and installed. Thanks a bunch Mike!!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:59:32 pm by bambuhiphop »