Author Topic: Assembling my '74 CB550 - Putting it all back together  (Read 140668 times)

Offline bjatwood

• I never claimed to be an
  • Expert
  • 1973 CB750-K3
    • Minbikers Proboards
Re: Assembling my '74 CB550 - Swingarm and Shocks
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2011, 06:21:25 am »
Very nice build thread Ron! Very insightful to follow along on your progress. I have NO Doubt my K3 will follow this process someday. As I am of this exact mindset when it comes to projects. Love to take my time and make it "Like New" I will be following this build thread now, and "taking notes" on your excellent restoration of this HONDA back to better than new.  8) Keep up the Great work.

Brian
Brian

I believe that the Finest things are the most thoughtfully made, not the most expensive!
http://minibikers.proboards.com/

Offline eStoddart

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2011, 12:10:50 pm »
Love the right up.  I've been following it since your first post and using it to double check my '78 build project.

I'm very happy you found your front fender was installed wrong because I did the same thing and just couldn't get it to work.  It's perfect now. Thank you.
'78 CB550 (build in progress)

Offline SohRon

• She laughs 'til she cries when they call me an
  • Expert
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2011, 09:42:49 pm »
Love to take my time and make it "Like New" I will be following this build thread now, and "taking notes" on your excellent restoration of this HONDA back to better than new.   Keep up the Great work.

Thanks for the kind words, BJ... better than new is the plan. I've wanted one of these bikes for a whole lotta years, now, and this time I may finally make it. I'd like to quote the old thread again, as it details what started all of this and what I hope to accomplish:

"So, why would I want to spend so much money on an ancient motorbike when it's doubtful I could ever make it back, and why get so extreme with the detailing? Part of it harks back to the desperation I felt in '74 as I stood in the Honda showroom dripping drool and lusting after one of those new CB550s... I was in pretty rough shape, working two and three jobs and saving every dime for college, and there was no way on God's green Earth that I could afford one; I was barely able to keep tires on the CL350 (my only means of transportation), never mind shelling out 1,600 bucks for a new bike ($1,600 in 1974 is roughly equivalent to $7,000 in today's money; as a matter of perspective, the average wage that year was @ $8,000, college tuition hovered right around $2,500 a year for public schools, gas - if you could find any - spasmodically peaked around fifty cents a gallon [which we all thought was appalling], and you could buy a brand spanking new VW Bug for $1,995, with a free 10-speed bicycle thrown in). It all seemed unfair, somehow. In a scene straight out of "Gone With The Wind", I started playing with this fantasy that one day I would get one of those bikes; and if I couldn't get it new, then, by God, I'd get a used one and make it so. In fact, I'd make it better than new.

After school, I just never got back into the motorcycle thing for various reasons. I'd see a 550 or a CL350 occasionally and feel the old pang, but never seriously considered my dream until I saw [the original] bike under a pile of debris in my friend's garage. Suddenly it all came back, and the rest, as they say, is history. I wanted that "new" bike, and I now have the means to make it happen. Pretty straight forward, actually.

One thing so many years off of a motorbike has done is that it's allowed me to view it simply as a hobby. I won't be riding this bike daily or for sport; I already paid those dues, long ago, and still have the scars to prove it. It will be ridden only occasionally, and after each outing it will be meticulously cleaned and polished. I expect that it will come apart again quite a few times to have most of the detail work redone. I'll probably show it at classic car and cycle events. But there will be no hot rodding, grandstanding, wheelies, speed contests or general mayhem committed with this motorcycle, even though that's the kind of stuff that I used to be famous for. Call it a garage queen if you want to, but I reckon this bike and I are now at the age where we need to start taking things a little bit easier. Eventually, if I take care of it and don't blow it, it will become a real antique that I can leave to my granddaughter."

I like the thought that this bike could become a kind of time machine. Ten or twenty years from now, after all of the other CBs have been turned into cafe racers and abandoned, this bike will be a reminder of how things were.   ;)

I'm very happy you found your front fender was installed wrong because I did the same thing and just couldn't get it to work.  It's perfect now. Thank you

Why, you're welcome! This is precisely why I'm doing this thread. The fender SNAFU is just the type of question newbies have but can't find an answer for. I searched in vain for the proper way to install the fender and no one, not the four shop manuals I have, not the "Honda Common Service" manual, not a blessed place on the Internet could provide a simple step-by-step procedure for installing the fender that a newbie could use. It's almost like the procedure is supposed to be some kind of common male genetic knowledge, like writing your name in the snow or maintaining a three inch grouping on the 10 dot from 25 yards, offhand...

Lack of information is one reason I started this thread and, obviously,  that's still a problem. I'm hoping this build will help to take away some of the mystery.

Here, for instance, as an example of the daunting task that can face a newbie, is the swingarm procedure (what I just covered in the above post) from the Honda Shop Manual:

1. Mount the rear brake stopper arm to the rear fork (I'm not sure why they do this here; I didn't)
2. Apply grease on the fork pivot bushing and install the rear fork (swingarm) on the frame with the pivot shaft
3. Mount the rear suspension (shocks) between the frame and fork on both sides and tighten the cap nuts (acorn nuts) and bolts
4. mount the rear wheel

I mean, come on; what else do you need to know?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:50:55 pm by SohRon »
"He slipped back down the alley with some roly-poly little bat-faced girl..."

Assembling my '74 CB550: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=86697.0
Assembly of the Right-hand Switch (a rebuilder's guide):  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80532.0
Installing stock 4X4 exhaust: CB500-CB550 K: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=82323.0
CB550 Assembly Manual: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,151576.0.html

Offline canoscan

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2011, 10:35:17 pm »
This is a brilliant thread, thank you.

Offline fastbroshi

• Puppet
  • Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2011, 10:41:51 pm »
I'm very happy you found your front fender was installed wrong because I did the same thing and just couldn't get it to work.  It's perfect now. Thank you

Why, you're welcome! This is precisely why I'm doing this thread. The fender SNAFU is just the type of question newbies have but can't find an answer for. I searched in vain for the proper way to install the fender and no one, not the four shop manuals I have, not the "Honda Common Service" manual, not a blessed place on the Internet could provide a simple step-by-step procedure for installing the fender that a newbie could use.

Ron, where was this covered?  I made the square peg fit in the round hole somehow, but it would give me peace of mind to make it right.
Just call me Timmaaaaay!!!

Offline SohRon

• Expert
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2011, 05:38:09 am »
Ron, where was this covered? 

fastbroshi, Post #33, page two of this thread, has been corrected to show proper fender/hanger/fork installation. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:26:07 pm by SohRon »

Assembly of the Right-hand Switch (a rebuilder's guide):  http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=80532.0
Installing stock 4X4 exhaust: CB500-CB550 K: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=82323.0

Offline JimJamerino

• Yay! I'm a
  • Hot Shot
  • Not rich enough to be "eccentric."
    • My CB650C build thread
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2011, 05:50:05 pm »
Thank you for this thread, SohRon!  Your attention to detail is legendary, and I'm sure many are grateful for the incredible photos.

What are the chances of having a shot of the whole bike at the end of each phase?
~ Jim

formerly "emperorspartacus"

There are old bikers.  There are dumb bikers.  There are no old, dumb bikers.

My CB650C rebuild http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=74212.0

Offline SohRon

• Expert
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2011, 09:17:18 pm »
What are the chances of having a shot of the whole bike at the end of each phase?

Jim, you're right, I should do this; I had actually noticed the lack of a good overall shot, myself, so I'll see what I can do about that. I just get so caught up in the details sometimes that I tend to lose track of the big picture...

This is a brilliant thread, thank you.

Thanks for the thumbs up, canoscan, and you're welcome.

And thanks to all who are following the thread but not necessarily posting; I appreciate your support.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2011, 02:48:25 am »
Ron - every installment is just a joy to read. You are such a good writer and I like how you inject subtle humor at various points!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline SohRon

• Expert
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2011, 08:10:55 am »
Ron - every installment is just a joy to read. You are such a good writer and I like how you inject subtle humor at various points!

Thanks, Stev-o! Jeeze, you'll turn my head! Glad you're enjoying the thread and finding it useful.  :)

Offline SohRon

• Expert
Re: Assembling my '74 CB550 - Rear Axle and Wheel; Chain; Chain Case
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2011, 01:03:34 am »
Well, back at it again for another installment. Now that the swingarm is in place, time to turn some attention to the rear wheel. Here it is, in all of its glory

The spokes were installed at Woody's Wheel Works in Denver. I got their "Superlace Supersize" package that utilizes a heavier-gauge spoke set at a slightly different angle than stock so as to locate the spoke geometry closer to 90 degrees to the hub plane. Here are a couple of pics shamelessly purloined from their website that demonstrates this concept

Woody's says that this will make the wheel stronger and less prone to broken spokes (as on the wheel at left in this pic), and gives a one-year guarantee against loosening or breakage of the spokes

Woody's definitely knows their business. While I was there, Andy Parks from the Vintage Aero museum came by and dropped off a spare wheel set for re-spoking and truing for this sweet little machine

The above plane lives about twenty minutes away from me at a small rural airport. It's a 7/8 scale replica of a Royal Aircraft SE5a, a British fighter ca. 1918. It and this full scale Fokker (pronounced "Fah-ker", not "Foe-ker"; and, definitely not "Fuh-..." well, you get the idea)  DR1 replica

plus a couple of others fly out of Fort Lupton for special events around the area. Besides the planes, they have an extensive collection of WW1 memorabilia and uniforms; and I've done volunteer duty there, so it was like old home week to see them at Woody's.

Unfortunately, due to the economic downturn the museum has lost some significant funding, so these birds have been mostly grounded and the museum has, for all intents and purposes, been closed. I can only hope things will get better soon; it would be a shame to see the collection broken up and these iconic warbirds sold off.

But, I digress.

Back to the wheel.  I installed new brake shoes, rubber dampers and wheel bearings. When time came to remove the bearing retainer, I did some searching on this site and got several good ideas as to how this could be accomplished. I tried them all, and none of them worked for me. I even had the guys down in  the machine shop come up with a tool to no avail (Thanks Guys!). The retainer stubbornly refused to budge (yes, I was turning it in the right direction) and all I ended up doing was boogering up the spanner holes in the retainer. I finally broke down and went to Honda, and the guy behind the service counter said, "Sure, we can get that retainer off for you. There could be some trouble, though..."

I said, "Trouble?"

He said; "Yeah, they weren't one of Honda's brightest inventions; these old things get stuck on there, and they can be a bear to get off. Depends on when it was last removed. I've seen 'em break the tool, or they can twist the hub, or I've heard of 'em shattering into a million pieces..."

By this time I was starting to get slightly alarmed; visions of the retainer exploding into shrapnel and taking out the entire shop almost brought me back to the War. But, of course, it had to be done, so I left the wheel and new bearings with him with his promise to call me if anything disastrous occurred. Fortunately, the procedure was accomplished without loss of life or limb, and I got the potential WMD back the next day replete with new bearings. However, you can see in this shot where they had to torch the retainer to get it to move

This is a shot of the rear axle and constituent parts; axle and nut, wheel spacer, wheel stoppers and chain adjusters, plus a bunch of bolts, nuts and washers

I pre-installed the spacer and chain adjuster, then inserted the axle from the brake side. There's not much reason to  grease the axle before installing it as the bearings are sealed, and the axle, once in place, doesn't move. At most, a little grease will help make installation through the bearing seats a little easier, and might help cut down on corrosion. I sprayed the axle down with a liberal coating of Boeshield, before installing it into the hub

Something to be aware of here, are the little punch marks on the wide end of the chain adjusters. Make sure that these are correctly oriented to the top prior to assembling the axle stack because if you don't, you won't be able to adjust the chain and you'll have to take everything back apart again. Like I did.

On the chain side, I slipped on the chain adjuster and axle nut/washer

With everything in place, I picked up the wheel and slid it into the axle slots on the swingarm, spreading the chain adjusters slightly to fit over the slot "legs". On the brake side, the spacer fits between the wheel and fork...

One thing to note about the spacer. There are two types for the CB550: the longer spacer is used on the earlier "smooth" brake plates, like mine, while the shorter one was installed with the "reinforced" plate (inset) that became standard for the "K" models in '77, IIRC. This brake plate has a longer "nose" due to an extended internal axle bearing, so it requires a shorter spacer. These plates are not interchangeable, so the right plate with the correct hub (and spacer) is required

I slid the wheel all the way to the front of the axle slot to more easily install the chain

With the wheel on the bike, I next installed the wheel stops. These fit in between the legs on the axle slot and are affixed with a bolt and washer; the bolt hole in the bottom leg is threaded, so the bolt just torques right in. Of course, anyone who knows me knows my penchant for overkill; I went one better (at least in my own mind) on Honda and used longer bolts here. After torquing them down to specs, I installed washers, split washers and nuts on the bottom just to add a little more assurance that the axle doesn't move (inset). It's not required; that's just the way I am.

On to the chain. I purchased it from David Silver Spares, and it seems like a good, quality chain. I soaked it in lacquer thinner overnight, then used a soft brass brush on it and sprayed it down with a good degreaser to get rid of the packing goop. I'm using Chain Wax for lube

and it requires the chain be warmed up before use; they recommend riding the bike around for a few minutes to get the chain prepared but, obviously, I can't do that. I toyed momentarily with tossing it into the oven in the house, but that wouldn't fly with SWMBO and, frankly, I just don't need that kind of grief; so what I did was stretch it out in the driveway and let the sun have at it.

Anyone who has worked on any kind of vehicle in Colorado knows how quickly steel hand tools can heat up in the sun here at 5,000+ feet. Lay your spark plug wrench aside for a couple of seconds, and the damned thing will nearly fry your hand off the next time you go to grab for it.

Within twenty minutes of laying out on the pavement in high altitude sun on a clear summer's day that chain was so hot I could barely handle it. I carried it into the garage tossing it from hand to hand, then hung it from a bolt on the garage door track and commenced to liberally soak it down from top to bottom with chain wax, paying particular attention to the inside of the rollers. I let it sit for a couple of minutes, then flipped it 180 degrees and hit it again. I left it hanging there while I went about mounting the wheel (about an hour), then wiped it off with a shop cloth to remove the excess wax before installation.

Installing the chain couldn't be easier. It's as simple as

Note that I installed the above master link clip with the closed end pointing in the direction of chain travel (to the right in this case; remember that the chain moves in a counter-clockwise direction during normal operation).

With the chain on, I added a little grease to the bearing surface on the wheel stops for the chain adjuster screws...

...then swung the chain adjusters up, pulled back on the wheel to tauten the chain and ran the bolts in, aligning the adjusters evenly using the alignment marks on the swingarm and the punched marks on the adjusters. This may or may not correctly align the front and rear wheels; there are those who have noted that the swingarm marks are not always accurate, so I'll be using the method outlined in the Chilton's book to check alignment. When I do that, I'll post it here

I adjusted the bolts evenly until I attained the required 3/4 inch chain deflection measured at the middle of the bottom run, then tightened down the lock nuts. This is a preliminary setting, and only because the bike is on the CS; it must be re-checked after the bike is back on the ground, so I'll get back to it later.

Here's the procedure as stated in the '74 CB550 Owner's Manual:

"Adjust to provide approximately 3/4 inch (20mm) of [minimum] chain slack at a point midway between the drive sprocket and the rear wheel sprocket. Rotate the wheel and recheck slack at other sections of the chain. Slack must not be less than 3/4 inch (20mm) at a point midway between the sprockets, regardless of the chain section at which measurement is taken"

So, rotate the wheel and check at several spots on the chain for minimum slack before locking in the setting.

Chain, installed

And, what the heck, since I'm here I might as well add the inner fender. Here it is. No mounting hardware; just a big 'ol hunk of ABS plastic

It slides down into the frame and connects to it by means of three-fingered clips welded to each of the rear down tubes

Left side...

...and right

These should be sufficient to hold the inner fender in place until I install the rear fender

Next, the chain case (chain guard). Here is is with its mounting hardware: three bolts, a nut and various washers; two case collars and an oval-shaped standoff; and a stamped metal brace

Something I might mention here that both of these ABS pieces, and others on the bike, have been restored using Mother's "Back to Black". It's like Flitz for plastic

The brace slides into the case; it's been formed to match the molding of the case...

...and it's attached using one of the case collars and a bolt that are inserted from the inboard (wheel) side...

...with a nut and lock washer on the inside of the case that locks the brace into place

The case fits down over the chain, and is connected on the inboard side by these three clips welded to the swingarm, similar to those on the frame for the inner fender (insets). The case just slips down between the clips, where the middle "prong" has a dimple that grabs the "lip" formed into the perimeter of the case

On the outboard side,  I installed the remaining two bolts, case collar, and fender washer. A small oval-shaped standoff fits into a similar shaped hole at the first (front) bolt location (inset); the bolt is then inserted using the fender washer for case support. The little standoff allows some wiggle room while installing the chain case, so I left the bolt loose until everything else was in place

The next (rear) bolt is attached utilizing the second case collar. This bolt runs through the chain case, then the chain case support bracket, and screws into the mounting lug on the swingarm, trapping the bracket between the case and mount (inset). With both of the bolts in place, I tightened everything down to final specs

To complete the chain install, I mounted the sprocket and starter motor covers. The starter motor cover has a little gasket that fits up inside it before assembly (inset)

One thing I'd like to point out in the above pic is that I'm replacing the engine bolts here and elsewhere with stainless allen screws. Stainless steel and aluminum don't really get along very well with each other, which can result in galling and/or galvanic corrosion of the bolt/case threads and of the bolt head itself, either of which will lock those bolts up tighter than a spinster's sphincter. In the case of the bolt heads galvanicaly welding themselves to the  cases, a simple washer under the bolt head alleviates the problem. For stainless steel bolts into aluminum threads, it has been recommended... nay, it is required that anti-seize be used on these bolts so that they may be removed again, if necessary. It's that important

And, for our purposes, Loctite recommends a zinc based anti-seize for use on the cover bolts, especially important with stainless steel.

For the final step, now that everything else is in place, I torqued the axle bolt to spec and added the cotter pin

So,  there it is: wheel, chain and guard. While I didn't get as far as I was hoping, I've gone on long enough. Next time I plan to install the rear fender and front brake, and from there, who knows?

'til next time
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 11:15:54 pm by SohRon »

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2011, 07:46:38 am »
...with a nut and lock washer on the inside of the case that locks the brace into place

Do I see some residual greasy dirt there? :o
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline SohRon

• Expert
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2011, 08:34:04 am »
Do I see some residual greasy dirt there?

Have no doubt about it, there are plenty of greasy, scratched, tarnished and even (gasp!) rusty spots on this bike; the 'ol girl has her warts, though I try not to emphasize them
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 08:35:22 am by SohRon »

Offline CycleRanger

• No comment about being an
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas Shop Manual Advocate
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2011, 11:00:42 am »
But, have no doubt about it, there are plenty of greasy, scratched, tarnished and even (gasp!) rusty spots on this bike; the 'ol girl has her warts,

I don't believe you.  ;)
Seriously, awesome build & awesome documentation.  :)
Do you have a copy of the Honda Shop Manual or Parts List for your bike? Get one here:
https://www.honda4fun.com/materiale/documentazione-tecnica
CB750K5        '79 XL250s     CL350K3
CB750K3        '76 XS650      '76 CJ360T

Offline Nortstudio

• Not nearly an
  • Master
  • Just getting started...
    • MotoPreserve
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2011, 02:44:45 pm »
But, have no doubt about it, there are plenty of greasy, scratched, tarnished and even (gasp!) rusty spots on this bike; the 'ol girl has her warts,

I don't believe you.  ;)
Seriously, awesome build & awesome documentation.  :)

+1.  I am now officially inviting myself over to your garage to eat off your bike!  I'm that confident it's the cleanest I have ever seen. :)

It looks amazing.  Truly amazing. 
1976 CB550K...in progress
1975 CL360...eventually custom
2009 Husqvarna TE610

a blog about wrenching in Brooklyn, NY

“Success is dependent on effort.”
~Sophocles

Offline JimJamerino

• Yay! I'm a
  • Hot Shot
  • Not rich enough to be "eccentric."
    • My CB650C build thread
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2011, 08:08:23 pm »
Thanks for the finished assembly shot!  It really helps to have a clear picture of what it looks like all together.
~ Jim

formerly "emperorspartacus"

There are old bikers.  There are dumb bikers.  There are no old, dumb bikers.

My CB650C rebuild http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=74212.0

Offline lone*X

• Expert
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2011, 01:54:07 pm »
SohRon, I'm really thinking that when you finish this assembly your whole thread needs to be moved or duplicated in the Trick, Tips and "HOW TO" forum and frozen for all time as a Sticky.  Just think of how many basket cases are passed on to a new owner who has no idea of how it came apart, much less how to put it back together.  This will be a valuable resource due to your superb documentation ability.

Really a great project!
Lone*X  ( Don )

75 CB550K1  
VTX1800C for two up cruisin.
Several others have come and gone but whose keeping track.
52 years on two wheels and counting.....
"The best safety feature of any motorcycle is the one God put between your ears.  It's also the least utilized"

Offline cb550inct

• Enthusiast
  • I am really good at buying parts
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2011, 02:41:55 pm »
This is INSANE......you are truely the Mike Holmes of bike restoration. (Holmes on homes..he goes to fix a leaky pipe and gives people a whole new house).

I sold $100,000 plus mercedes and they are not built with this kind of detail. Amazing ...I'm going home and punching my bike
1978 cb550k
1998 Harley Springer Softail
2004 Harley Heritage Softtail (sold)
2001 Vespa 150 (sold)
1980 Kawasaki Kx 80  (first Bike)

Offline SohRon

• Expert
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2011, 11:18:41 pm »
Lots of great replies here; I hardly know where to begin.

As far as a clean bike well, yes, it is, though I know there are those who think this is not necessarily a good thing. I guess with all of the cafes and bobbers and  what-have-you out there, there's got to be room for one shiny stocker, right? But, like I said, she has her warts, believe it or not!  ;)

Thanks for the finished assembly shot!  It really helps to have a clear picture of what it looks like all together.

I'll try to be a little better about this. A picture does help to round out the steps.

I'm really thinking that when you finish this assembly your whole thread needs to be moved or duplicated in the Trick, Tips and "HOW TO" forum... ... This will be a valuable resource

Kind of the idea  for the thread, Lone-x. That's why I'm depending on you guys to help keep everything correct.  If folks are going to be using it as a reference it has to be right, and I ain't no expert; just somebody who knows how to look things up.

This kind of detailed information is just not available and is a real problem for the basket case crowd, as you pointed out. Even now, I'm still having problems with procedures regarding the rear fender, and there are no resources anywhere to help answer my questions.

Seriously, awesome build & awesome documentation...  amazing.  Truly amazing...  This is INSANE

Thanks!

Offline cwchan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2011, 08:28:53 pm »
Loctite makes non-metallic based anti-sieze.  I think its called Moly-paste.  Presuming the link below is true

Check out post #9

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326069

Offline theofam

• I'm cold, give me a
  • Hot Shot
  • Suffering from MDD - Mechanical Deficit Disorder
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2011, 10:10:11 pm »
I just caught up on the past few months' activities.  All I can say is, "thanks!"  (Un)fortunately, I've some items on my 750 build that may be incorrect - for instance, I didn't pay attention to the orientation of the front axle stays by putting the longer leg forward.  Anti-seize is also something I overlooked on my sprocket cover install using stainless steel allen-head bolts.

So, although you're creating more work for me, I really appreciate the detail you've observed and captured in your builds.

Can't wait for more!

Offline SohRon

• Expert
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2011, 11:26:38 pm »
Loctite makes non-metallic based anti-sieze.  I think its called Moly-paste.  Presuming the link below is true

Thanks for the link. Due to this and other factors I can't recommend use of Copper antiseize anywhere on the bike except at the plugs and exhaust studs.

I didn't pay attention to the orientation of the front axle stays by putting the longer leg forward.  Anti-seize is also something I overlooked on my sprocket cover install using stainless steel allen-head bolts.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Theofam, I can hardly believe this coming from you, of all people!  :D

Glad to have been of help!

And, in response to this one,

I'm going home and punching my bike,

I have to remind you of that quote (might be from the Bible?) that goes: "Be kind to your CB, for it bears you." Or something along those lines.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:35:19 am by SohRon »

Offline jett

« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2011, 08:09:32 pm »
Fascinating build!  Any new updates?

Offline Greggo

• Somebody's
  • Old Timer
  • Helmets Save Lives. Period.
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2011, 11:43:15 pm »
What's the word Ron?

Offline SohRon

• Expert
Re: Assembling my '74 CB550 - Update
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2011, 10:33:51 am »
Hey, guys... it's always a surprise to see this thread resurrected from the depths of the Project Shop, but I guess I do owe an update.

Not much bike work going on right now as I've been busy with other projects, one of which is restoration of a 1974 VW Beetle that my wife decided she needed for a toy... Of course, that just means more work for me as she doesn't "do" that sort of thing. I've had experience with many, many Bugs over the years and this actually counts as resto project no. 4. When it's done, I'll have to get some shots of the two '74s together; the Bike and the Bug.

Another interruption was caused by the move of my step daughter Casey and her family to Idaho. Yes, little Grace (now 4 years old) has moved a thousand miles away from her grandpa (sob!). Grace needed a bed, so my wife and I built her a loft bed from scratch, which took some three or four complete weekends to finish, and delivered it to them

One major frustration I have about Grace's leaving is that I was just teaching her how to actually use the tools she used to just play with; had her tightening bolts with a wrench and socket, and she was just getting the idea when they left. Dang! Was trying to make a mechanic out of her; hopefully I made enough of an impression on her that some of it will stick.

Grace at two years old, helping Grandpa Ron with the original build

As far as the bike is concerned, it's still pretty much as I last left it. I've done some work on the front brake and the carb setup and could probably post something but just haven't taken the time, what with everything else going on. That, and my reluctance to spend $60 on a 14" brake hose (the original build utilized a handlebar riser which meant an extended upper hose was necessary. Without it, the hose is just too long and must be replaced. $60 - $70 for that top hose is highway robbery, if you ask me...)  has left the build in temporary limbo. And with the weather getting colder, it's not likely I'll be doing a lot of work in the coming months. So, while I may post a couple of times during the winter, I don't expect to get back into the full swing of things 'til next spring.

It remains my intention to complete the project eventually but, as I mentioned, I'm really in no hurry and will get to things as I can. I hope folks have found what I've already posted helpful, and be assured that I'm not going to abandon the thread, but will struggle on as time allows.  ;)

Thanks for the interest, and I'll be back soon, I promise!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 10:37:47 am by SohRon »