Author Topic: Can overfilling your oil cause major problems??? (on a 1976 550)  (Read 2086 times)

liaudio

Ok... Today, I took my alternate '76 550 out for a spin while my buddy was riding my k5 750.  We hit the parkway and I opened her up.  I hit about 105 mph (4th gear) trying to keep up with him and then let off the throttle to make the next exit. When we came to a stop my buddy pointed at my engine and shouted, "DUDE!!!  WTF???" 

I looked down in dismay.  It seemed as if someone had thrown a bucket of 20w50 all over my entire bike from the carbs back.  It was literally drenched, dripping, bad.  We pulled over, examined it, and couldn't see where it may have been coming from.  What I did notice was that I didn't have the breather hose that connects the top of the valve cover into the bottom of the airbox.  I never knew that you really "needed" that.  That was the only spot that looked like it was coming from.  The whole right side of the bike, (and a little bit of the left,) from the carbs back, was covered in oil.  Even though it was still hot and I didn't have a rag to wipe off the stick, I checked the oil to see if I could ride it back home, and it looked full. (I decided to trailer it home either way.  hehe. I don't really trust a machine that throws oil everywhere. Safety dance or not.)

Once I got it home and after it cooled, I checked the oil again.  I leveled the bike and pulled the stick.  It read about a 1/4 inch over maximum so I checked it again.  Same thing.  Hmmm...

1st question:  Can over filling the oil in a 550 cause it to blow oil from somewhere?

2nd question: Can oil blow out of the valve cover breather? Ever?

3rd question: Is there a PCV valve or something in the valve cover that needs some sort of vacuum off of the airbox to operate?

I started it up once home and couldn't see or hear anything wrong.  I revv'ed it briefly way up to about 11,000 rpm's to see if I could duplicate the oil leakage, but nothing happened.  (my neighbor did shoot me an evil glance, but that i'm not worried about.)

Hmm... 

Any idears?

Thanks guys!  You rock!

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Re: Can overfilling your oil cause major problems??? (on a 1976 550)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 07:13:30 pm »
Apart from a load of mechanical things, there are two other things inside your motor,..Oil and air.

As the motor gets hot, the air expands and has to get out, normaly through the breather on the top of your cam box.

If you have to much oil in there, it's going to want to come out with the expanding air as the pressure builds up.

Let some oil out untill you have the right amount in and conect your breather to the air box.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline cafe75-550

• Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 08:47:21 pm »
1st question:  Can over filling the oil in a 550 cause it to blow oil from somewhere?

Yes. As pressure builds up from the expanding oil and air it will have to find a way out, in this case, the easiest spot was the breather.

"Blow out" may be exaggerated, but maybe not under your circumstances. I have one of those breather filters (rather than a hose) on mine, and its "wet", the last time I took it off it was enough to get my hands oily.

3rd question: Is there a PCV valve or something in the valve cover that needs some sort of vacuum off of the airbox to operate?

Nope, no valve whatsoever. Just a hole in the cover, with a small splash shield if I remember correctly...

And like Sam said, just drain the oil back to normal levels and clean up your engine, should be ok, just keep a check on that oil level.

Hope this helps!  ;D
New bike!
'07 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
Never enough projects!
'75 CB550 "Cafe", '76 CB550 parts bike
'64 Norton Atlas featherbed/'71 Triumph 750 Triple (Triton project)
'68 BSA Thunderbolt (frame and cases, project in the wings)
'57 Triumph Thunderbird (frame and mostly complete engine)

Offline rhinoracer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 08:55:44 pm »
I'm no expert on 550s but if it's anything like the 750s it is a dry sump model so overfilling shouldn't cause your problem, maybe it's the oil pump check valve sticking.

If it's not like the 750, I HAVEN'T SAID ANYTHING! ;D
Baja native.

Offline cafe75-550

• Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 09:07:30 pm »
Wet sump! No oil tank!  ;D
New bike!
'07 Triumph Speed Triple 1050
Never enough projects!
'75 CB550 "Cafe", '76 CB550 parts bike
'64 Norton Atlas featherbed/'71 Triumph 750 Triple (Triton project)
'68 BSA Thunderbolt (frame and cases, project in the wings)
'57 Triumph Thunderbird (frame and mostly complete engine)

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 09:13:18 pm »

If it's not like the 750, I HAVEN'T SAID ANYTHING! ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 12:36:10 am »
When was the last time you rode it? (previous to this episode)
If you didn't do a major overfill it may be gas leaked in over a period of time and raised oil level.
 Its doubtful you did any damage but it is possible to pull the top off a piston if it hydro locks (sump overfilled) or bend a rod (usually only if water gets in through valve)
There are no PCV type valves in the motor, just a hole connected to airbox.
Oil level should be half way between top and bottom marks on dipstick
PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 01:05:27 am »
yes
yes. Your buddy even pointed it out for you! DUH!
No PCV valve.  There is a breather connection and element in the stock airbox that many people are eager to throw away.

You have a wet sump on the 550.  The crankshaft spins just above the oil supply,  If you fill to a level close enough the crankshaft, the air mass spinning with the crank will pick up oil from the sump and whip it into a froth.  Some engines have a windage tray below the crank to allay this, others have a dry sump to prevent it.

At high RPM, the rings are more likely to let some of the combustion gasses past the piston rings.  It's called blow by, and it pressurises the crankcase.  Oil froth plus pressure dumps oil overboard.  If the crankcase didn't have that vent on top, it would blow out oil seals.

So, why did you overfill the oil sump?  And, why did you think Honda put a hose on that breather fitting?

Cheers,
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 01:07:58 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
bit harsh, but its late
PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

liaudio

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 06:09:40 am »
Thanks everyone for the help.  I will make sure that the oil level is where it should be.

And if I had noticed that the breather hose was missing, I would have installed it.  But thanks for pointing that out. 

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 03:01:51 pm »
Make sure your carbs werent leaking as it sat.

Terry
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker